PDA

View Full Version : Elwood Bendigo Bank championship 5th category GP

Pages : [1] 2

Igor_Goldenberg
10-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Will be held this year at Council Chambers of City of Port Phillip (St Kilda town hall at the junction of Brighton Road and Carlisle street) 3rd, 4th and 6th of November

Prize fund:

1st 2200
2nd 1100
3rd 600
4th 300
5th 200

Under 2000:
1st 300
2nd 150
3rd 50

Under 1600:
1st 300
2nd 150
3rd 50

Entry fee:
$65 - full
$50 - concession
GM/IM free

More details, as well as entry form, will be available in a few days.

Desmond
10-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Good luck with your tournament, Igor.

ER
10-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Will be held this year at Council Chambers of City of Port Phillip (St Kilda town hall at the junction of Brighton Road and Carlisle street) 3rd, 4th and 6th of November

Congratulations Igor!!!
That's a fantastic venue! I bet the holding of the tournament in such a historic and culturally rich Centre will result to a new era of Chess development in our area! I predict the number of entrees will exceed by far the previous records! (Plus St. Kilda Town Hall is a stone's throw from my place! ;)
Congratulations again cheers and good luck! Please include pictures of the Town Hall, plus a few words about its history in the tournament brossure. It is really worth it!
Cheers and good luck!!!

Elwood Bendigo
10-09-2007, 07:28 PM
I have been to the venue, and it is superb- for chess - as Igor will be on Holidays as of this Friday for two weeks, inquiries can be directed to me either by email, this site, or by 0401572549- Barboros- We will have a flyer by this Friday with the website being fully funtional with 2007 info shortly

Elwood Bendigo
10-09-2007, 07:44 PM
It also likely that this will be a Cat 5 tourney-Igo has sent the application to Brian Jones- I will confirm shortly

ElevatorEscapee
10-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Just posting to confirm, to those who may have been a little confused by the title, that the "Elwood Bendigo" event is not being held in Bendigo. :cool:

(Please don't PM me for details of this event, nor for billeting, etc! :lol: )

Best of luck with the tournament guys... I hope it is, and continues to be, extremely successful! :D

eclectic
10-09-2007, 08:19 PM
It also likely that this will be a Cat 5 tourney-Igo has sent the application to Brian Jones- I will confirm shortly

it's listed as a category 5 over at the chess australia site

Elwood Bendigo
10-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Tasso,

your suggestion of photos is a good idea- I will take some and put them on the website- as well, I will take some of St Kilda for those thinking of a interstate trip-

D Dragicevic
11-09-2007, 01:21 AM
It's excellent to see this tournament again this year. The venue sounds great, and I notice that there is an increase in prize money, first place going up by 200, second place going up by 100.. Congratulations to the organisers and let's hope this tournament keeps being as successful as it has been in the first two years...

Elwood Bendigo
11-09-2007, 07:36 AM
it's listed as a category 5 over at the chess australia site

Brian is very fasr I see-excellent

Elwood Bendigo
11-09-2007, 07:40 AM
It's excellent to see this tournament again this year. The venue sounds great, and I notice that there is an increase in prize money, first place going up by 200, second place going up by 100.. Congratulations to the organisers and let's hope this tournament keeps being as successful as it has been in the first two years...

Mate- I cant say enough about the venue- apart from the actual venue, you have the St Kilda pricinct, the Botanical gardens with the big chess set as well as other smaller playing boards, the beach, abundance of choice for food etc- it should be great tourney

Mischa
11-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Good luck with your tournament, Igor.

Barboros was the original mover and shaker for this tourny...I have always thought of it as HIS...:)

Watto
11-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Mate- I cant say enough about the venue- apart from the actual venue, you have the St Kilda pricinct, the Botanical gardens with the big chess set as well as other smaller playing boards, the beach, abundance of choice for food etc- it should be great tourney
Yes, sounds like an excellent choice of venue. Congrats to the organisers. :clap: I lived near there for about five years... a great area.

Elwood Bendigo
11-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Barboros was the original mover and shaker for this tourny...I have always thought of it as HIS...:)

Hi Mischa, Thanks for your kind words- Although Igor has been the main organiser to this point this year- I have been helping in the background with the website, but as we get closer becomming more involved- Congrats must go to Igor for partnering with the St Kilda town hall to secure it as a venue- an excellent achievement-

Leonid Sandler
11-09-2007, 09:27 AM
As a long resident of St.Kilda I am very happy see the tournament of the year coming to exciting area.Well done guys!

WhiteElephant
11-09-2007, 11:29 AM
I am planning to play in this as my one tournament for the year. Great venue!

Davidflude
11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Come on everybody. I have played this tournament in the past and it was a really well run tournament and should be supported. Everybody get your entries in.

Over rated players beware. I am coming and hope to do some heffalump trapping.

I have one question. How goods is the car parking?

Igor_Goldenberg
11-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Come on everybody. I have played this tournament in the past and it was a really well run tournament and should be supported. Everybody get your entries in.

Over rated players beware. I am coming and hope to do some heffalump trapping.

I have one question. How goods is the car parking?
Tram parking is better:)
On a serious note, if you do not mind few minutes walk, it should be alright, as there are plenty of parking on nearby streets.
If you are earlier and lucky, should be able to park on Balaclava or Brighton road. Hopefully it's not as busy as on weekdays.

Garvinator
11-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Sweet, people can park their trams :lol: ;)

Davidflude
11-09-2007, 01:30 PM
On a serious note, if you do not mind few minutes walk, it should be alright, as there are plenty of parking on nearby streets.
If you are earlier and lucky, should be able to park on Balaclava or Brighton road. Hopefully it's not as busy as on weekdays.

I use public transport whenever possible. However It would take me 35 minutes to walk to tram line.

15 minutes Box Hill to Burke Road

25 minutes Burke Road to other end of Toorak Road

10 minutes to venue.

plus time waiting for trams.

So I will use my wee car which gets five stars on the Aussie government web page for environmentally friendliness.

It is well worth pointing out to visitors to Melbourne that public transport is great for going from suburbs to city and back but not great for going across the suburbs so take care where you stay.

Also every year when I travel to the Elwood tournament I see people all dressed up in the best suburbs walking to the public transport to go to the racing.

Elwood Bendigo
11-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I use public transport whenever possible. However It would take me 35 minutes to walk to tram line.

15 minutes Box Hill to Burke Road

25 minutes Burke Road to other end of Toorak Road

10 minutes to venue.

plus time waiting for trams.

So I will use my wee car which gets five stars on the Aussie government web page for environmentally friendliness.

It is well worth pointing out to visitors to Melbourne that public transport is great for going from suburbs to city and back but not great for going across the suburbs so take care where you stay.

Also every year when I travel to the Elwood tournament I see people all dressed up in the best suburbs walking to the public transport to go to the racing.

Infact there is load of free parking about 5 mins walk from the venue at the St Kilda Botanical gardens-no permit required nor parking tickets-

Igor_Goldenberg
11-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Infact there is load of free parking about 5 mins walk from the venue at the St Kilda Botanical gardens-no permit required nor parking tickets-

another option - few carparks off Carlisle road after the Chapel street intersection - 2 or 3 minutes walk.

In other words - plenty.

ER
11-09-2007, 02:46 PM
another option - few carparks off Carlisle road after the Chapel street intersection - 2 or 3 minutes walk.

In other words - plenty.

Hi Igor and Barboros
Just in case you haven't thought about it, the Library, Coles, Safeway etc have huge Community Boards. We can advertise the event for free there. Also can you imagine a gigantic sign (like they do in Russia and other Chess cultured European countries) outside the Venue, something like a placard hanging from the pilars, with the inscription ANNUAL ELWOOD BENDIGO CHESS CONGRESS or something. If you are planning something like that I am more than willing to contribute toward its expenses!
Cheers and good luck!

Elwood Bendigo
11-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi Igor and Barboros
Just in case you haven't thought about it, the Library, Coles, Safeway etc have huge Community Boards. We can advertise the event for free there. Also can you imagine a gigantic sign (like they do in Russia and other Chess cultured European countries) outside the Venue, something like a placard hanging from the pilars, with the inscription ANNUAL ELWOOD BENDIGO CHESS CONGRESS or something. If you are planning something like that I am more than willing to contribute toward its expenses!
Cheers and good luck!

I have already approached a graphic artist who did some work for global one on this subject aswell as big posters and cut down versions for posters for clubs and entry forms- I am hoping for free design- for the printing- I will be approaching Kinkos for sponsorhip - they are on of Global One customers for about 8 years so I hoping they can help in return for amrketing exposure-so fingers crossed

Igor_Goldenberg
11-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Garvin Gray kindly accepted the role of Chief Arbiter this year.

Igor_Goldenberg
11-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi Igor and Barboros
Cheers and good luck!

That's a very good idea!

ER
11-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Great news, chance for many of us to meet a great chess personality... Good on you Igor, Barboros, and of course welcome Garvin Gray!
Cheers and good luck!

Mischa
11-09-2007, 09:28 PM

really?

Afitz
11-09-2007, 11:00 PM
I am planning to play in this as my one tournament for the year. Great venue!

Well then WE if you are playing i may have to play just for a chance to beat you in real game and not blitz this time;)

Mischa
11-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Why do we have someone from interstate to arbit a victorian event?

WhiteElephant
11-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Well then WE if you are playing i may have to play just for a chance to beat you in real game and not blitz this time;)

Bullet games 2 years ago don't count :)

Mischa
11-09-2007, 11:14 PM
So no one from Victoria would arbit?

Elwood Bendigo
11-09-2007, 11:23 PM
I just got a request from the Philippines for 6 chess students to enter the tournament-

Additionally I will be negotiating a special rate with a local hotel/motel for the tourney

Mischa
11-09-2007, 11:26 PM
you know we will always help out here where we can....

Elwood Bendigo
11-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Where is Michael Baron- last years tourney ended in controversy- And I am keen for Michael to play this year- he is a good friend - he is yet to post a reply:hmm:

eclectic
11-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Where is Michael Baron- last years tourney ended in controversy- And I am keen for Michael to play this year- he is a good friend - he is yet to post a reply:hmm:

he's most likely waiting until he's sure that no victorian is going to be the arbiter!

:owned:

;)

Davidflude
11-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Hi Igor and Barboros
Cheers and good luck!

This is the way to go. The libraries in the Box Hill/Doncaster area have a system where you deliver notices to one Branch and they deliver them to all the other branches.

The big banner is a great idea too. We have one at box Hill which looks great.
It has vbeen used many times. Just putting a sandwich board outside the club has lead to new members.

All clubs should put notices in libraries. they bring in new members.

Davidflude
11-09-2007, 11:44 PM

Thank you. That is great to hear.

Elwood Bendigo
12-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Everyone- very glad to let everyone know that I have organised a professional graphic artist company to do the artowrk- see reponse to my original mail to John Magart from Chimera design www.chimera.com.au

Hi Barboros,

We would be happy to be involved as I see it as an opportunity to help out and have some fun with the design.
Given the brief we would like to create something cool and I certainly want all of the designers at chimera to let there hair down and go for it.
Everything will have a chess theme (chess has lots of graphic elements to draw from) and follow your brief but I would like this to end up being a "cool" suite of material and not too conservative.

If you are happy with this kind of approach we could probably start designing mid next week?

This si in response to my mail

Hi John,

Hope you are well.

Yesterday I spoke with you re a design slash marketing trade off-

Myself and the Elwood community Chess club are looking for a design company to provide free art work for our 2007 Elwood Bendigo Bank Chess tournament-We have run successful tournaments for the last two years with our sponsors are coming back for more a third time, In return we will promote your group during the event .

Brief- Design theme- should capture the t that it is a chess tournament, that we are holding it in St Kilda- as well as a historic site – the Council chambers- of course all sponsors logo should go on all marketing material

Required

Big big poster design –not sure the actual size- but something we can place outside the council
Cut down versions for posters to placed around st Kilda as well as in chess clubs nationally
Entry form – two sided A5

Wants-

Flash for chess website
Actual website for the event

ER
12-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Everyone- very glad to let everyone know that I have organised a professional graphic artist company to do the artowrk- see reponse to my original mail to John Magart from Chimera design www.chimera.com.au

Hi Barboros,

We would be happy to be involved as I see it as an opportunity to help out and have some fun with the design.
Given the brief we would like to create something cool and I certainly want all of the designers at chimera to let there hair down and go for it.
Everything will have a chess theme (chess has lots of graphic elements to draw from) and follow your brief but I would like this to end up being a "cool" suite of material and not too conservative.

If you are happy with this kind of approach we could probably start designing mid next week?

This si in response to my mail

Hi John,

Hope you are well.

Yesterday I spoke with you re a design slash marketing trade off-

Myself and the Elwood community Chess club are looking for a design company to provide free art work for our 2007 Elwood Bendigo Bank Chess tournament-We have run successful tournaments for the last two years with our sponsors are coming back for more a third time, In return we will promote your group during the event .

Brief- Design theme- should capture the t that it is a chess tournament, that we are holding it in St Kilda- as well as a historic site – the Council chambers- of course all sponsors logo should go on all marketing material

Required

Big big poster design –not sure the actual size- but something we can place outside the council
Cut down versions for posters to placed around st Kilda as well as in chess clubs nationally
Entry form – two sided A5

Wants-

Flash for chess website
Actual website for the event

Good work Barboros
If I may add something here; Without interfering with the undisputable talent and excellent work of Chimera Designs I think it would be a good idea to ask Watto to have a say on the artistic part of the whole thing, if of course she is not busy with her other responsibilities.
Cheers and good luck!

Watto
12-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Good work Barboros
If I may add something here; Without interfering with the undisputable talent and excellent work of Chimera Designs I think it would be a good idea to ask Watto to have a say on the artistic part of the whole thing, if of course she is not busy with her other responsibilities.
Cheers and good luck!
That's nice of you hk but I’m sure Chimera will do a great job and would be mildly indignant if they had to put with suggestions from a third party!

If Barbaros or Igor wanted a second opinion once the designs were done, that's a different matter and I'd of course be happy to have a look but as I said I'm sure Chimera will come up with something good. :)

p.s. In principle, I'm always happy to help if I can. Just in this instance it doesn't seem necessary.

Elwood Bendigo
12-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Chimera is doing the art work for banners, posters and flyers- we are still looking for a website by a professional/semi professional

So if anybody is available it would be a good opportunity to show case there skills /company

eclectic
12-09-2007, 03:06 PM
lucky no third opinion will be required! :whistle:

Watto
12-09-2007, 03:08 PM
lucky no third opinion will be required! :whistle:
please explain :confused:

eclectic
12-09-2007, 03:12 PM
please explain :confused:

your expert opinion, if required, shall be enough

[besides, i'm meant to be busy with other projects ... ;)]

MichaelBaron
12-09-2007, 03:51 PM

I am here, Mr Bendigo..:). I am still not sure about my work schedule in November.

Elwood Bendigo
12-09-2007, 05:51 PM
More good news- Epidote.com.au has jsut agreed to design the 2007 Elwood Bendigo tourney website- Andrew Magart from Epidote will allign his design with the general them of our designers to insure consistancy-this is all for Free -

Should be live within a couple of weeks-

ER
12-09-2007, 06:08 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
More good news- Epidote.com.au has jsut agreed to design the 2007 Elwood Bendigo tourney website- Andrew Magart from Epidote will allign his design with the general them of our designers to insure consistancy-this is all for Free -

Should be live within a couple of weeks-

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Kerry Stead
12-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Nice choice of venue ... only a block from my place!
Perhaps a poker game could be arranged for after the chess one evening? Exact day would probably depend on the schedule - any interest?

eclectic
12-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Perhaps a poker game could be arranged for after the chess one evening? Exact day would probably depend on the schedule - any interest?

why not hold it two weeks beforehand as a means of increasing the tournament prize funds? :doh:

Elwood Bendigo
12-09-2007, 06:39 PM

very interested- lets decide a night when we have more details-

eclectic
12-09-2007, 06:43 PM

wouldn't monday, the off night, make the most sense?

Garvinator
12-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Nice choice of venue ... only a block from my place! That is why it was chosen ;)

eclectic
12-09-2007, 07:07 PM
That is why it was chosen ;)

go on gg you've just worked out where you might want to lodge for the tournament's duration?

;)

D Dragicevic
12-09-2007, 07:23 PM

geese, it all seems to be happening... I'd be interested as well.. Perhaps Tuesday night after the tournament finishes would be the best..

And what about playing blitz in the botanical gardens... I haven't done that in a while..

Mischa
12-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Go to Park?

Elwood Bendigo
12-09-2007, 10:58 PM
geese, it all seems to be happening... I'd be interested as well.. Perhaps Tuesday night after the tournament finishes would be the best..

And what about playing blitz in the botanical gardens... I haven't done that in a while..

Maybe we can organise a Blitz tourney on the Monday during the tourney

Elwood Bendigo
12-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Lets make it the sat might- I will try to organise a venue

D Dragicevic
12-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Maybe we can organise a Blitz tourney on the Monday during the tourney

Yep, thats sounds like a good idea...

Kerry Stead
12-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Lets make it the sat might- I will try to organise a venue
I have a poker table for 10 & I'm sure if there's interest I could find a few extra chairs ...
I'm working Monday (and Wednesday), so that was part of my reason for waiting for the schedule to be announced ... the need to allow time for poker ... as well as time for sleep prior to work ... sleep prior to chess is not as essential, but often desirable :P
Obvioulsy there's some interest, but I'll wait for a schedule before any definite plans are made ...

Kerry Stead
12-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Another thought for poker is Pub Poker at the Dick Whittington (a few blocks away) - the regular night is Tuesday, so its another possibility for post-chess poker action ... and its the free variety.

ER
13-09-2007, 08:21 AM
I think it would be a good idea to promote the Chess Tournament here, instead of Poker! Let's get back to basics and talk about this Great Tournament (Bendigo Elwood of course) including ideas about its better organisation and promotion!
Cheers and good luck!

eclectic
13-09-2007, 08:23 AM
I think it would be a good idea to promote the Chess Tournament here, instead of Poker! Let's get back to basics and talk about this Great Tournament (Bendigo Elwood of course) including ideas about its better organisation and promotion!
Cheers and good luck!

good idea!

(why i don't even play poker anyway!)

ER
13-09-2007, 09:39 AM
good idea!

(why i don't even play poker anyway!)

Thanks Eclecticus, neither do I play nor give a hoot about poker!

I was actually thinking of enhancing the Elwood Bendigo tournament with a series of Chess related promotional events. A few examples:

A Master Simul at the St Kilda library in order to promote the tournament as well as attracting more people from the area.

A Chess Trivia night in one of the many venues of the St Kilda Area. We might raise some money for the Tournament there!

A Chess Movie night.

An inaugural forum where we can all discuss Chess things as issues in the modern Era of the game in Victoria from a club player's (administrator's) point of view.

A Chess book exhibition, a second hand Chess book / software sale and/or exchange of Chess related material amongst participants and the public.

As a token of my "put your money where your mouth is" attitude, I donate $100.00 to the Elwood Chess Club, for any purpose they see fit!

Cheers and good luck to all!

Mischa
13-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Is it to be FIDE rated?

Elwood Bendigo
13-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Is it to be FIDE rated?

Of course

Mischa
13-09-2007, 10:18 AM
:)

eclectic
13-09-2007, 10:21 AM
who knows?

perhaps in 2008 it might become the

elwood bendigo bank international open

9 round norm obtainable event

games on fri sat sun mon tue for example

:uhoh: :eek: :cool:

Igor_Goldenberg
13-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I am here, Mr Bendigo..:). I am still not sure about my work schedule in November.

I thought 3rd, 4th and 6th of November are not working days:)

Garvinator
13-09-2007, 02:54 PM
What :eek: no Michael Baron playing. I wanted to maximise my meeting of chess chat people, especially considering Michael's thoughts of last years events ;)

eclectic
13-09-2007, 04:39 PM
i do hope there is no danger that the federal election will be called for november 3 with the venue perhaps commandeered as a polling station

:eek:

Mischa
13-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I hear it was Garvin who approached Igor

Elwood Bendigo
14-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Closing - 6:30 pm
This is a big step for the Elwood Bendigo Chess tournament, and we need everyone possible behind us so that we can secure sponsorship next year, the venue etc- I would hope that most people have enjoyed the past two years with my plan next year of making this an international- and hopefully securing the redeveloped St Kilda town hall.

Obviously we cannot please everyone- we saw an example of this last year, where inexperience on my part (as tournament organiser) was not up to par- but I am learning...

As previously mentioned I will try to form a board so that decisions are made with a little less independence- but we have what we have at this stage and we are moving forward to an exciting November-Lets hope our interstate friends and players can join us- I believe the Gold Coast tournament is on the weekend before - So if everyone can make the short bus ride to St Kilda we will be waiting-

PS- I will be shipping down 6 DGT's from the Gold Coast open- with the intent of live games on the web as well as Venue broadcasts-

I will start to form an initial list of players here and on the tournament website

MichaelBaron
14-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I thought 3rd, 4th and 6th of November are not working days:)

Igor, I teach on saturdays :(.

MichaelBaron
14-09-2007, 01:13 PM
What :eek: no Michael Baron playing. I wanted to maximise my meeting of chess chat people, especially considering Michael's thoughts of last years events ;)

Since I live 10 min drive away from st. Kilda I will pay a visit to the tourney for sure even if i am not playing.

Igor_Goldenberg
14-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Igor, I teach on saturdays :(.
Hope you can reschedule

Metro
14-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Hope you can reschedule

I hope you can reschedule too.You certainly add depth to the field.
I'm sure David Smerdon appreciated playing you in 2005

Axiom
14-09-2007, 08:12 PM
I hope you can reschedule too.You certainly add depth to the field.
I'm sure David Smerdon appreciated playing you in 2005
the very least he can do, is enter his damn cat ! ;)

Metro
14-09-2007, 08:23 PM
the very least he can do, is enter his damn cat ! ;)

Will Axiom be making an appearance?

Axiom
14-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Will Axiom be making an appearance?
would you know if he did? ;)

Mischa
14-09-2007, 08:36 PM
hoping

Metro
14-09-2007, 08:37 PM
would you know if he did? ;)

We will be looking for grey-haired gentleman wearing black leather,fingerless gloves.

eclectic
15-09-2007, 08:31 PM
i've decided to enter; i :pray: i don't play like chickensh*t though :rolleyes:

Elwood Bendigo
16-09-2007, 09:13 AM
i've decided to enter; i :pray: i don't play like chickensh*t though :rolleyes:

Can I make that official in the player list?

eclectic
16-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Can I make that official in the player list?

you will have received my notice of intent if the site contact page still works

Elwood Bendigo
16-09-2007, 02:26 PM
you will have received my notice of intent if the site contact page still works

Yes receiced it

D Dragicevic
16-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I know I am not the star attraction, but you can put me on the list of entrants...

Thankfully, Melbourne Victory are playing away that weekend...

eclectic
16-09-2007, 08:56 PM
I know I am not the star attraction,

you might yet be the "star" attraction;

i understand no radio signals have yet been picked up from the Axiom Nebula!! :owned:

Elwood Bendigo
16-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Dejan Antic is very interested in playing- I will confirm ASAP

Metro
16-09-2007, 10:46 PM
i've decided to enter; :rolleyes:

:clap: Haven't seen you for some time Ec.

eclectic
16-09-2007, 10:48 PM
:clap: Haven't seen you for some time Ec.

Thx Met ;)

Elwood Bendigo
16-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Just wandering if anybody from interstate is planning on entering the tournament?:hmm:

Metro
16-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I donate $100.00 to the Elwood Chess Club, for any purpose they see fit!

Cheers and good luck to all!

HK, Your enthusiasm and generosity is a credit to you:clap::clap:
I suggest a brilliancy prize of $100

Elwood Bendigo
16-09-2007, 11:59 PM
HK, Your enthusiasm and generosity is a credit to you:clap::clap:
I suggest a brilliancy prize of $100

LOL-I like your sense of humour

eclectic
17-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Just wandering if anybody from interstate is planning on entering the tournament?:hmm:

perhaps a good idea might be to have a billeting list of those in Melbourne who might be able to be hosts to interstate players wishing to play

for those from interstate who still wish to make independant accommodation arrangements one good starting point is

http://www.not1night.com.au

you only need to put down 10% of the cost down as a deposit using a credit card and if you cancel online before the stated deadline you get a full refund less a $10 admin fee

be careful though as the melbourne cup weekend is a time when cancellation conditions are far stricter due to accommodation demand so read the fineprint carefully should you choose this option

Elwood Bendigo
17-09-2007, 08:25 PM
perhaps a good idea might be to have a billeting list of those in Melbourne who might be able to be hosts to interstate players wishing to play

for those from interstate who still wish to make independant accommodation arrangements one good starting point is

http://www.not1night.com.au

you only need to put down 10% of the cost down as a deposit using a credit card and if you cancel online before the stated deadline you get a full refund less a $10 admin fee

be careful though as the melbourne cup weekend is a time when cancellation conditions are far stricter due to accommodation demand so read the fineprint carefully should you choose this option
Thats a great idea- if people could either let me know in a PM or via email-j.kara@global1t.com- I can start

Elwood Bendigo
18-09-2007, 02:23 PM
The following players have expressed an interest in playing

1. Leonid Sandler IM
2. Igor Goldenburg FM
3. Dragicevic
4. James Morris FM
5. Barboros Kara(me)
6. Mark McKenzie
7. Alex Stanishef
8. Dejan Antic GM
9. Angelo Tsagarakis
10. Cedric Antolis
11 Malcolm Pyke
12. Malcolm Leeland Kwok (Phil )
13. Claudio Olar Jr. (phil)
14. Dave Patrick Dulay (phil)
15. Timothy John So Kua (phil)
16. Carmella Galve (phil)
17. Steven Arnald Teves (phil)

Early days-

Davidflude
18-09-2007, 06:13 PM
The tournament is not yet listed at http://www.auschess.org.au/oceania/

I suggest someone at The Elwood Club should look into this.

Also the tournament is not listed in the latest ACF bulletin.

Could someone in the club please email a suitable blurb for the tournament to me and I will send out a special edition of the Chess Victoria newsletter giving details of the tournament. My email address is davidflude@pacific.net.au

The best format is a rtf format file or a .doc format file but please not a publisher format file.

eclectic
18-09-2007, 06:16 PM
it is listed on oceania site

Garvinator
18-09-2007, 07:52 PM
No Name Loc

1. ANTIC, Dejan 2486
2. GOLDENBERG, Igor 2391
3. SANDLER, Leonid 2319
4. DRAGICEVIC, Domagoj 2139
5. PYKE, Malcolm L 2119
6. MORRIS, James 2088
7. TSAGARAKIS, Angelo 1880
8. ANTOLIS, Cedric 1817
9. KARA, Barbaros 1755
10. STANISHEFF, Alex 1574
11. MCKENZIE, Mark 1164
12. DULAY, David
13. GALVE, Carmella
14. KWOK, Malcolm
15. OLAR JUNIOR, Claudio
16. SO KUA, Timothy
17. TEVES, Steven

Ninja
18-09-2007, 11:06 PM

The tournament website seems to be mainly 2006 info??

So how do you enter this years tournamnent?
Probably get a few more interstaters if they could work that bit out!

eclectic
18-09-2007, 11:11 PM

a new website has been commissioned
until then i'm sure you can PM or email elwood bendigo if interested (see post 96)
i suspect things will move quicker once the october fide ratings are released

Elwood Bendigo
18-09-2007, 11:56 PM

You are right- we are updating the site - in the interim please contact me via CC , my email j.kara@global1t.com, ph: 0401572 549 or via the old site using the contact form

Hope to have the site ready mid next week, but wil also update the old site in theinterim with current info over the next couploe of days to avoid confusion

Thanks for you input

Elwood Bendigo
19-09-2007, 08:43 AM
The tournament is not yet listed at http://www.auschess.org.au/oceania/

I suggest someone at The Elwood Club should look into this.

Also the tournament is not listed in the latest ACF bulletin.

Could someone in the club please email a suitable blurb for the tournament to me and I will send out a special edition of the Chess Victoria newsletter giving details of the tournament. My email address is davidflude@pacific.net.au

The best format is a rtf format file or a .doc format file but please not a publisher format file.

Thanks David- I will take care of both issues-

eclectic
19-09-2007, 02:12 PM
is there a chance a providing some incentive by raising some of the rating prizes and perhaps even some in the lower bracket of the main group if some entry numbers target is reached?

Elwood Bendigo
19-09-2007, 05:38 PM
is there a chance a providing some incentive by raising some of the rating prizes and perhaps even some in the lower bracket of the main group if some entry numbers target is reached?
Not sure- let me think about it:hmm:

Elwood Bendigo
20-09-2007, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=Elwood Bendigo]The following players have expressed an interest in playing

1. Leonid Sandler IM
2. Igor Goldenburg FM
3. Dragicevic
4. James Morris FM
5. Barboros Kara(me)
6. Mark McKenzie
7. Alex Stanishef
8. Dejan Antic GM
9. Angelo Tsagarakis
10. Cedric Antolis
11 Malcolm Pyke

18. Eugene Schon
19.Marc Christian Nazario (Phil)
20. Stepehn Taylor
21. Douglas Stone

Davidflude
20-09-2007, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=Elwood Bendigo]The following players have expressed an interest in playing

1. Leonid Sandler IM
2. Igor Goldenburg FM
3. Dragicevic
4. James Morris FM
5. Barboros Kara(me)
6. Mark McKenzie
7. Alex Stanishef
8. Dejan Antic GM
9. Angelo Tsagarakis
10. Cedric Antolis
11 Malcolm Pyke

18. Eugene Schon
19.Marc Christian Nazario (Phil)
20. Stepehn Taylor

That is not a bad list so far. It is great to see the overseas players. I will speak to the parents of some of our promising juniors on Friday night at Box Hill suggesting that they play.

eclectic
20-09-2007, 09:42 PM
That is not a bad list so far. It is great to see the overseas players. I will speak to the parents of some of our promising juniors on Friday night at Box Hill suggesting that they play.

why you can even tell them that theoretically anyone can win this tournament* unlike what happens there :whistle:

* :pray: that the tournament will not catch the CI*M*JR virus in the meantime

Davidflude
20-09-2007, 09:54 PM
why you can even tell them that theoretically anyone can win this tournament* unlike what happens there :whistle:

* :pray: that the tournament will not catch the CI*M*JR virus in the meantime

Just when I am doing what I can to help the Elwood/Bendigo Bank tournament Eclectic makes an unhelpful comment I presume about Box Hill Chess Club.

Mischa
20-09-2007, 09:58 PM
why do you assume that?
Is there something to be assumed?.....:)

eclectic
20-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Just when I am doing what I can to help the Elwood/Bendigo Bank tournament Eclectic makes an unhelpful comment I presume about Box Hill Chess Club.

what's so unhelpful about it?; i'm stating a fact
it's done as a bit of ribbing
in fact some juniors in division b at box hill might find they are doing quite well in that event and might think ...
hey! based on my form at box hill i might give elwood a go

make sense?

Davidflude
20-09-2007, 10:54 PM
what's so unhelpful about it?; i'm stating a fact
it's done as a bit of ribbing
in fact some juniors in division b at box hill might find they are doing quite well in that event and might think ...
hey! based on my form at box hill i might give elwood a go

make sense?

Nothing wrong with a bit of ribbing. I expect we will have some bonzer juniors at
the Elwood tournament.

Alas there is a distinct possibility that I may have to travel interstate over cup weekend on family business and miss the tournament.

Elwood Bendigo
20-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Information

Entry fee:
$65 - full
$50 - concession
GM/IM free

Prize fund:

1st 2200
2nd 1100
3rd 600
4th 300
5th 200

Under 2000:
1st 300
2nd 150
3rd 50

Under 1600:
1st 300
2nd 150
3rd 50

Prizes for Under 18, under 14, Under 12, vouchers, books

All prizes (apart from books and vouchers) are paid as Elwood Bendigo Bank accounts .
Schedule of Play- (please be there 15 minutes prior to first round for registration)

Saturday Nov 3rd

Round 1 12.00pm

Round 2 4.00pm

Sunday Nov 4th

Round 3 9:30 am

Round 4 2.00 pm

Round 5 6.00 pm

Monday 6th November

Round 6th 9.30am

Round 7 2pm

Mischa
20-09-2007, 11:04 PM
no discount for FM's :)

eclectic
20-09-2007, 11:09 PM
no discount for FM's :)

i could call james a closet gm but you know who would get mad at me saying that!
:rolleyes:

Mischa
20-09-2007, 11:10 PM
nooo arosar is going to come out of the closet real soon

eclectic
20-09-2007, 11:19 PM
All prizes (apart from books and vouchers) are paid as Elwood Bendigo Bank accounts .

:hmm:

i better remember to bring 100 points with me

:cool:

Elwood Bendigo
20-09-2007, 11:28 PM
If anyone is interested- there is some games from las tyears tourney at
http://www.global1t.com/chess/Elwood%20BB%202006.htm

Unfortunately I dont know how to post a pgn

Elwood Bendigo
23-09-2007, 12:14 AM
I can confirm GM Dejan Antic will be playing this year at the EBCC.

Carl Gorka
23-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I may be playing:) :( :)

Metro
23-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Information

Monday 6th November

Round 6th 9.30am

Round 7 2pm

Mr.Elwood Bendigo,
It's good idea to check and correct:
1. Monday,Nov.6 ?
2.Igor Goldenburg?
3.Best to place entries in rating order?:hmm:

Basil
23-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi Met

I have a spare bedside manner. Please enquire within once you realise you're missing yours ;)

Elwood Bendigo
23-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Mr.Elwood Bendigo,
It's good idea to check and correct:
1. Monday,Nov.6 ?
2.Igor Goldenburg?
3.Best to place entries in rating order?:hmm:

Thanks Met , I got your PM on the subject- dont worry will correct ASAP- been away for the weekend-Appologies for any confusion

Elwood Bendigo
24-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I can confirms that GM Darryl Johansen will be playing

Current List of Players
1. Dejan Antic GM 2468

2. Johansen, Darryl K GM 2446

3. Igor Goldenberg FM 2400

4. Leonid Sandler IM 2364

5. Jesse Noel Sales FM 2324

6. Malcolm Pyke 2225

7. Domagoi Dragicevic 2182

8. Carl Gorka 2139

9. James Morris FM 2025

10. Eugene Schon 1963

11. Angelo Tsagarakis 1934

12. Cedric Antolis 1783

13. Douglas Stone 1803(ACF)

14. Barboros Kara 1755(ACF)

15. Alex Stanishef 1574(ACF)

16. Stepehn Taylor 1594(ACF)

17. Mark McKenzie 1164(ACF)

18. Malcolm Leeland Kwok (OS)

19. Claudio Olar Jr. (OS)

20. Dave Patrick Dulay (OS)

21. Timothy John So Kua (OS)

22. Carmella Galve (OS)

23. Steven Arnald Teves (OS)

24. Marc Christian Nazario (OS)

D Dragicevic
24-09-2007, 03:22 PM
I can confirms that GM Darryl Johansen will be playing

Current List of Players
1. Dejan Antic GM 2468

6. Malcolm Pyke 2225

8. Carl Gorka 2139

9. James Morris FM 2025

10. Eugene Schon 1963

12. Cedric Antolis 1783

18. Malcolm Leeland Kwok (OS)

19. Claudio Olar Jr. (OS)

20. Dave Patrick Dulay (OS)

21. Timothy John So Kua (OS)

22. Carmella Galve (OS)

23. Steven Arnald Teves (OS)

24. Marc Christian Nazario (OS)

I notice that the players listed have FIDe rating next to them.. Does this mean that the players will be seeded according to their FIDE rating..

Elwood Bendigo
24-09-2007, 04:24 PM
PLAYER ENTRY FORM IS NOW AVAILABLE AT WWW.GLOBAL1T.COM/CHESS
UNDER THE ENTRY FORM TAB

Elwood Bendigo
24-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I notice that the players listed have FIDe rating next to them.. Does this mean that the players will be seeded according to their FIDE rating..

WILL LET YOU KNOW ASAP

Elwood Bendigo
24-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Information

Entry fee:
$75- full
$60 - concession
GM/IM free

Prize fund:

1st 2200
2nd 1100
3rd 600
4th 300
5th 200

Under 2000:
1st 300
2nd 150
3rd 50

Under 1600:
1st 300
2nd 150
3rd 50

Prizes for Under 18, under 14, Under 12, vouchers, books

Schedule of Play- (please be there 15 minutes prior to first round for registration)

Saturday Nov 3rd

Round 1 12.00pm

Round 2 4.00pm

Sunday Nov 4th

Round 3 9:30 am

Round 4 2.00 pm

Round 5 6.00 pm

Monday 6th November

Round 6th 9.30am

Round 7 2pm

I have made a mistake with the entry fee- please see above

Full $75 conc/jun $60

A $10 early bird discount is available for entries recieved before 2nd Novemebr 5pm.

Elwood Bendigo
24-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Yes

ER
24-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes
What about the "FIDELESS" ("inFIDEL"? :)) ones though?
Cheers and good luck!

Elwood Bendigo
24-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi All,

I went to the venue today and worked out the capacity to be roughly 130- So to avoid disappointment please enter as early as possible- you can enter by

1. Filling the entry form online http://www.global1t.com/chess/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=41
2. Ringing chess world on 1300-424-377 or myself 03 9327 2831
3. Filling in the entry form- soon to be released to all clubs and downloadable from the global1t.com/chess website and sending to chess world - Chess World
451 North Rd
Ormond, 3204
VIC Australia

If you cannot wait for the entry form to be produced and don’t trust putting you credit details online- use the online form( fill out all the details) and print the page rather than pressing save( which send it to me)

Remember if you pay/enter before 2nd Nov you get a $10 discount

Full $75 con/junior $60
Elwood Bendigo bank and chess kids discount of $5.00

Elwood Bendigo
24-09-2007, 08:05 PM
1. Dejan Antic GM 2468

6. Malcolm Pyke 2225

8. Carl Gorka 2139

9. James Morris FM 2025

10. Eugene Schon 1963

12. Cedric Antolis 1783

17. Elliot Renzies 1452 (ACF)

19. Malcolm Leeland Kwok (OS)

20. Claudio Olar Jr. (OS)

21. Dave Patrick Dulay (OS)

22. Timothy John So Kua (OS)

23. Carmella Galve (OS)

24. ANURAG SANNIDHANAM (UNR)

Elwood Bendigo
25-09-2007, 01:25 PM
If you have a chance please visist the sponsors page at http://www.global1t.com/chess/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=45

And see if they have a product or service you are interested in- remeber to mention how you found them

Cheers

Elwood Bendigo
25-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I was playing on the Fritz server and started a converstion with Nigel Short( who I do not know), jokingly I asked if he was interested in playing at the Elwood tourney-and guess what he is- as he is close by in Macau in Nov- amazing luck- anyway to cut a long story short( no punn intended) I am furiously trying to sort somethin out- ie airfair, accomodation, etc- and help suggestions would be appreciated-

I hope we can do this:D

Mischa
25-09-2007, 05:51 PM
raise the entry fee as a way of raising money?
Ask for donations?

Mischa
25-09-2007, 05:53 PM
would the ACF or Chess Victoria help out as this does raise the profile of chess both in Victoria and Australia....

Elwood Bendigo
25-09-2007, 05:58 PM
would the ACF or Chess Victoria help out as this does raise the profile of chess both in Victoria and Australia....

You are right- I will see how far we can come without the ASF and then ask them to make up the shortfall

eclectic
25-09-2007, 06:05 PM
www.bestflights.com.au seems good to use to test out flight times etc re logistics of getting him here

ER
25-09-2007, 06:18 PM
as I stated in the shoutbox, Short's giving a couple of simuls and/or lectures will make money for him as well as for the club... Good on you Barboros, a fantastic possibility for promoting the tournament internationally... I think if GM N. Short comes to play here, think of how to accommodate 250 people and forget about 130!
Cheers and good luck!

Elwood Bendigo
25-09-2007, 07:19 PM
raise the entry fee as a way of raising money?
Ask for donations?

Any donations for this cause would be greatly accepted

Regards,

Elwood Bendigo
25-09-2007, 09:17 PM
1. Dejan Antic GM 2468

6. Malcolm Pyke 2225

8. Carl Gorka 2139

9.Douglas Stones 2043

10. James Morris FM 2025

11. Eugene Schon 1963

12. Angelo Tsagarakis 1934

13. Cedric Antolis 1783

14. Douglas Stones 2043

15. Barboros Kara 1755(ACF)

16. Bill Reid 1648(ACF)

17. Alex Stanishef 1574(ACF)

18. Stepehn Taylor 1594(ACF)

19. Elliot Renzies 1452 (ACF)

20. Mark McKenzie 1164(ACF)

21. Malcolm Leeland Kwok (OS)

22. Claudio Olar Jr. (OS)

23. Dave Patrick Dulay (OS)

24. Timothy John So Kua (OS)

25. Carmella Galve (OS)

26. ANURAG SANNIDHANAM (UNR)[/QUOTE]

Mischa
25-09-2007, 09:27 PM
James has offered to donate $100 from his own money to offset one day's expenses for Nigel Short

Elwood Bendigo
25-09-2007, 09:31 PM
:owned: :clap:
James has offered to donate $100 from his own money to offset one day's expenses for Nigel Short
Thats is so generous- I will definately mention to Nigel how we are trying to finance his trip-

again thankyou James Morris-

D Dragicevic
26-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Wow, I have just arrived home, logged onto here and I am thinking if I am dreaming.. I have checked again and again, and looks like I am not dreaming. this Nigel Short thing looks real...

Well, I think that majority of the funds has to come from ACF or Chess Victoria, or for that matter any state federation, as this is once in a lifetime thing.. If there is any money needed, I'd be willing to chip in.. If every player in the tournament would chip in little bit, the funds would be raised...

Now, please don't tell me I am dreaming, or that this is a joke...

Elwood Bendigo
26-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Chess world has pledged $1000

That brings our total to $1400-

We need about 5-6K to make this work

If anybodt would like to help, please send me a PM

This is the last time I will ask using this forum

ER
26-09-2007, 11:16 AM

James proves that he is not only a champion in Chess but a champion in life as well. Another book (chess or on any other topic he likes) from me! Just name the title champ!
Cheers and good luck!

Elwood Bendigo
26-09-2007, 07:24 PM
James proves that he is not only a champion in Chess but a champion in life as well. Another book (chess or on any other topic he likes) from me! Just name the title champ!
Cheers and good luck!

Good

ER
26-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Now, please don't tell me I am dreaming, or that this is a joke...

No Domagoj, you are not dreaming at all. You were not dreaming either when (along with some other great friends of yours) you began Noble Park Chess Club. I bet that very soon the Aus Chess Community would be working collectively to support related activities of your club as well! Cheers and good luck!

Bereaved
26-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Rumour has it that Michael Baron chose not to play as there were strong rumours that Dmitri Partsi was playing lol

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

eclectic
26-09-2007, 09:55 PM
i've held partsi to a draw would you believe? :eek:

Bereaved
26-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Howard, I am teasing Michael he is my friend.

And he will think it funny, and thank you for your unwarranted advice yet again.

PS have you ever met Michael Baron? Do you know him? I do.

Basil
26-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Howard, I am teasing Michael he is my friend.

I didn't realise you were teasing him. Some others wouldn't have either. In fairness to me, you may appreciate that your post didn't make that clear and it was posted in the public domain - a wink would have sufficed.

And he will think it funny
That's a good thing.

have you ever met Michael Baron? Do you know him? I do.
No I don't. Is it relevant? I should hope you do know him if he is your friend :doh:

As your friend, I hope you can appreciate I was (trying) to look after his interests.

EDIT: I have deleted my post, as in the subsequently explained context, my attack was wrong (in fact), although I stand by my intent.

Basil
26-09-2007, 10:16 PM
i've held partsi to a draw would you believe? :eek:
Is that what they call a bi-partsisan result?

eclectic
26-09-2007, 10:23 PM
i dmitri* that attempt to tender yet another "worst pun on the bb" candidate!

*(demit: (archaic) dismiss)

:doh:

Gattaca
26-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Chess world has pledged $1000

That brings our total to $1400-

We need about 5-6K to make this work

If anybodt would like to help, please send me a PM

This is the last time I will ask using this forum
Hi Barbaros.

Good luck with your tournament this year and with the fund raising for bringing Nigel Short out. You're certainly a livewire organiser!

Just on the $5k to $6k estimate, are you able to be more specific about the breakdown of that? For example, has Short requested an appearance fee or any specific type of accommodation?

Macau - Melbourne economy return booked fairly soon would definitely be less than $1,500. Does he want to return to Macau? Probably he has booked a return flight from Macau, but maybe not. The return leg might be negotiable if he is going back to England or Europe.

Anyway, that leaves his accommodation. A comfortable hotel room in Melbourne near Elwood would cost about $130 a night. Nigel might be happy with a billet if it was a nice house and host. Assuming he wants a hotel for say, 4 nights, that brings the total to about $2k. What's the other money for?

I'm just asking because Nigel is a very wealthy man, and may not require that much to be spent on bringing him out. A lot of chessplayers are not wealthy, so a lot of people on modest incomes might end up contributing to the fund. If Nigel knew that the hat was being passed around he might well eschew an appearance fee and just settle for a free holiday and first prize, (assuming Gary Lane who beat him and Stephen Solomon who drew with him, both in Olympiads, don't play :-)

Nigel is a good bloke and I just want to make sure that you don't miss out on getting him by expecting to have to pay more than you should.

Again, good luck with the tournament. Wish I could play!

Elwood Bendigo
26-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi Barbaros.

Good luck with your tournament this year and with the fund raising for bringing Nigel Short out. You're certainly a livewire organiser!

Just on the $5k to $6k estimate, are you able to be more specific about the breakdown of that? For example, has Short requested an appearance fee or any specific type of accommodation?

Macau - Melbourne economy return booked fairly soon would definitely be less than $1,500. Does he want to return to Macau? Probably he has booked a return flight from Macau, but maybe not. The return leg might be negotiable if he is going back to England or Europe.

Anyway, that leaves his accommodation. A comfortable hotel room in Melbourne near Elwood would cost about $130 a night. Nigel might be happy with a billet if it was a nice house and host. Assuming he wants a hotel for say, 4 nights, that brings the total to about $2k. What's the other money for?

I'm just asking because Nigel is a very wealthy man, and may not require that much to be spent on bringing him out. A lot of chessplayers are not wealthy, so a lot of people on modest incomes might end up contributing to the fund. If Nigel knew that the hat was being passed around he might well eschew an appearance fee and just settle for a free holiday and first prize, (assuming Gary Lane who beat him and Stephen Solomon who drew with him, both in Olympiads, don't play :-)

Nigel is a good bloke and I just want to make sure that you don't miss out on getting him by expecting to have to pay more than you should.

Again, good luck with the tournament. Wish I could play!

Hi Guy

Thanks for your support-
I have assumed a 5 night stay(TBC)
1. Return trip to Macau approx $3k- I used a website recommended by Eclectic- do you have a website in mind I could ask for a second opinion
2. Accomadation- Being that is Melbourne cup prices seem to be high- I only checked with the Novotel $1800 for 6 nights- This is way to high- Misha has offered her house, but I had assumed that Nigel would want a hotel-I think that there has to be something cheaper-I estimated $1000
2. Per Diem – I assumed $100 per dayx5
3. App fee- he told me that it was usually $3k US. I have asked him if he would accept $1500-2k
Total $6k-7k
Chess world has pledged between 1-3K depending on Nigels availability for a half day lecture
Private donation$1000.

I did mention to Nigel that people were passing the hat around to get him here.
Do you know him well? If so maybe a chat may be worthwile?

Elwood Bendigo
26-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi Guy

Thanks for your support-
I have assumed a 5 night stay(TBC)
1. Return trip to Macau approx $3k- I used a website recommended by Eclectic- do you have a website in mind I could ask for a second opinion
2. Accomadation- Being that is Melbourne cup prices seem to be high- I only checked with the Novotel $1800 for 6 nights- This is way to high- Misha has offered her house, but I had assumed that Nigel would want a hotel-I think that there has to be something cheaper-I estimated $1000
2. Per Diem – I assumed $100 per dayx5
3. App fee- he told me that it was usually $3k US. I have asked him if he would accept $1500-2k
Total $6k-7k
Chess world has pledged between 1-3K depending on Nigels availability for a half day lecture
Private donation$1000.

I did mention to Nigel that people were passing the hat around to get him here.
Do you know him well? If so maybe a chat may be worthwile?

Yes one more point-Nigel did recognise that we would probably not have a budget for such an unexpected expense- as said to make our "best offer"

Garvinator
26-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Is this of any use? https://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/hk/bookflightsandmore/bookflights/step3.jsp?bookNow.y=17&bookNow.x=52&itineraryId=0

I am aware that it is for Hong Kong to Sydney. But if the currency converter is correct, then the return fare is about $1000. Something could be worked out for that amount. Add another $200 for Sydney to Melbourne return.

I get the feeling I have missed something. Surely Nigel would be able to get himself from Macau to HK and his return flight to England might even take him normally through HK.

This information might be of some help.

Elwood Bendigo
26-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Is this of any use? https://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/hk/bookflightsandmore/bookflights/step3.jsp?bookNow.y=17&bookNow.x=52&itineraryId=0

I am aware that it is for Hong Kong to Sydney. But if the currency converter is correct, then the return fare is about $1000. Something could be worked out for that amount. Add another $200 for Sydney to Melbourne return.

I get the feeling I have missed something. Surely Nigel would be able to get himself from Macau to HK and his return flight to England might even take him normally through HK.

This information might be of some help.

Thanks Garvin- he lives in Greece, but will be returning to Macau

Garvinator
26-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks Garvin- he lives in Greece, but will be returning to Macau
Oh ok :) Wasnt sure of the circumstances, just saw some chat on here that he was going to be coming from Macau and then returning afterwards to England. Found what I could from a quick search of known sites.

Elwood Bendigo
26-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Here is draft flyer for the Tournament

There are many mistakes- please dont distribute- just interested to here your thoughts, suggestions, things Ive missed- a kind of proofing

It was done for free by one of our sponsors Chimera- they will also provide a flyer

eclectic
26-09-2007, 11:48 PM
collage or better stratify in order of precedence the logos of all the sponsors within the chess king white space especially if they are coloured ones

Watto
27-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Here is draft flyer for the Tournament

There are many mistakes- please dont distribute- just interested to here your thoughts, suggestions, things Ive missed- a kind of proofing

It was done for free by one of our sponsors Chimera- they will also provide a flyer
now you've opened up a can of worms... ;)

A strong design with clean lines but I'd put the main sponsor at the top (Bendigo?) and make all the sponsors a little larger. In fact I'd make all the font a little larger. And make sure the tournament name really stands out and possibly the dates too.

Could be just me but I also think that the black is a little foreboding.
Perhaps use the more inviting but still traditional chess colour of green (or even a few different shades of green to give it some complexity) or even a warm Bendigo Bank brown (provided it looks reasonably 'fresh'- brown can look a bit dull of course) instead of black... ?

Unless it has to be black and white in which case ignore the last paragraph. :)

eclectic
27-09-2007, 12:11 AM
sorry watto
i was meant to be the third opinion!
:uhoh:

Gattaca
27-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Plenty of Australian players know Nigel reasonably well. I'd rather not get involved as I won't be here, but one of the Australian Olympiad players or officials might be able to help.

Garvin's right. $3k is an absurd quote for Macau (Hong Kong) - Melbourne return. You might have not realised it was HK dollars? Even AU $1,000 is not the best price, probably. Go to a travel agent and find out what specials are available. You might find an AU $700 or less fare via Sydney somewhere and Syd - Mel return should be cheap with the new discount domestic airline (Tiger or Lion or whatever it is), which will cause a price war.

You should definitely suggest a high quality billet and see what he says. I'd suggest that you say that if he is willing to stay at a nice private residence, you can stetch to $2k appearance fee.

Suggestion for future reference. When negotiating, don't offer $1,500 - $2,000. No-one is going to then say, "Okay, I'll take the $1,500 thanks." By suggesting a range you have offered the higher amount. Also, an opening gambit should have been to offer an appearance fee guarantee against prizemoney, so you would guarantee $2,000, with any prizemoney deducted from that. But that's okay... no harm done.

At this point I'd make an offer that if he is willing to accept a high quality billet you will pay his return airfare and guarantee AU $2,000 fee on top of that, or if he requires a hotel you will guarantee 2,000 against prizemoney. (Any prizemoney he wins is deducted from the fee.) To sweeten the pot he can be offered another X amount (to be worked out with Chess World) to do a half day lecture. It sounds like David is willing to be fairly generous on that fee, which would certainly help.

Point out again that money is tight and stress the friendship angle, that he is well liked here and has friends and that it would be a very exciting occasion for the local chess community and he would be an honoured guest and well looked after.

I don't see why this should cost more than $3k, plus the lecture fee, and certainly not $6k. Anyway, just trying to help. I'll shut up now, as it's easy to be a kibitzer, whilst you're the man who's putting it all together and I know that's a lot harder than commenting from the peanut gallery.

Elwood Bendigo
27-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Plenty of Australian players know Nigel reasonably well. I'd rather not get involved as I won't be here, but one of the Australian Olympiad players or officials might be able to help.

Garvin's right. $3k is an absurd quote for Macau (Hong Kong) - Melbourne return. You might have not realised it was HK dollars? Even AU $1,000 is not the best price, probably. Go to a travel agent and find out what specials are available. You might find an AU $700 or less fare via Sydney somewhere and Syd - Mel return should be cheap with the new discount domestic airline (Tiger or Lion or whatever it is), which will cause a price war.

You should definitely suggest a high quality billet and see what he says. I'd suggest that you say that if he is willing to stay at a nice private residence, you can stetch to $2k appearance fee.

Suggestion for future reference. When negotiating, don't offer $1,500 - $2,000. No-one is going to then say, "Okay, I'll take the $1,500 thanks." By suggesting a range you have offered the higher amount. Also, an opening gambit should have been to offer an appearance fee guarantee against prizemoney, so you would guarantee $2,000, with any prizemoney deducted from that. But that's okay... no harm done.

At this point I'd make an offer that if he is willing to accept a high quality billet you will pay his return airfare and guarantee AU $2,000 fee on top of that, or if he requires a hotel you will guarantee 2,000 against prizemoney. (Any prizemoney he wins is deducted from the fee.) To sweeten the pot he can be offered another X amount (to be worked out with Chess World) to do a half day lecture. It sounds like David is willing to be fairly generous on that fee, which would certainly help.

Point out again that money is tight and stress the friendship angle, that he is well liked here and has friends and that it would be a very exciting occasion for the local chess community and he would be an honoured guest and well looked after.

I don't see why this should cost more than $3k, plus the lecture fee, and certainly not $6k. Anyway, just trying to help. I'll shut up now, as it's easy to be a kibitzer, whilst you're the man who's putting it all together and I know that's a lot harder than commenting from the peanut gallery.

Excellent feedback-

Yes I must of got the airfair in HK rather than AUD- that makes a big difference.

This will definately help my negotiation with Nigel. Does $100 per day sound reasonable to you?-

Garvinator
27-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Excellent feedback-

Yes I must of got the airfair in HK rather than AUD- that makes a big difference.

This will definately help my negotiation with Nigel. Does $100 per day sound reasonable to you?-
Comes from Gattaca's post, but something I did realise that might be another selling point if Nigel asks. Nigel was a big vocal supporter of The Right Move campaign at the last Fide presidential election.

The ACF supported The Right Move Campaign and voted as such. Not sure if any of this will have any relevance to negotiations, but if Nigel asks, it could be helpful.

MichaelBaron
27-09-2007, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=Gattaca]Suggestion for future reference. When negotiating, don't offer $1,500 - $2,000. No-one is going to then say, "Okay, I'll take the $1,500 thanks." By suggesting a range you have offered the higher amount. Also, an opening gambit should have been to offer an appearance fee guarantee against prizemoney, so you would guarantee $2,000, with any prizemoney deducted from that. But that's okay... no harm done.

QUOTE]

:clap: This is the most Professional post I have seen on the topic of inviting Short so far :clap:

ER
27-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Hey guys careful with those initials! I know I am a staunch capitalist but seeing that $HK was a bit too much! :owned:
Cheers and good luck!

Elwood Bendigo
28-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Janet Janet Bolitho - the mayor of Port Phillip will talk about chess etc at the opening ceremony of the event

Elwood Bendigo
28-09-2007, 01:16 PM
1. Dejan Antic GM 2468

6. Malcolm Pyke 2225

8. Carl Gorka 2139

9. Partsi, Dimitry 2123

10.Pecak, Mariusz 2113

11.Douglas Stones 2043

12. James Morris FM 2025

13. Eugene Schon 1963

14. Dean Hogg 1944 (ACF)

15. Angelo Tsagarakis 1934

16. Cedric Antolis 1783

17. Douglas Stones 2043

18. Barboros Kara 1755(ACF)

19. Bill Reid 1648(ACF)

20. Alex Stanishef 1574(ACF)

21. Stepehn Taylor 1594(ACF)

22. Elliot Renzies 1452 (ACF)

23. Kostrzewa, Jake 1402 ( ACF)

24. Mark McKenzie 1164(ACF)

25. Malcolm Leeland Kwok (OS)

26. Claudio Olar Jr. (OS)

27. Dave Patrick Dulay (OS)

28. Timothy John So Kua (OS)

29. Carmella Galve (OS)

30. ANURAG SANNIDHANAM (UNR)

Elwood Bendigo
28-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Here is the A2 poster - we will get this printed and sent to as many clubs as possible with the entry forms

I hope everyone can the hidden image and message- please let me know if you cant- should be viewed at 50% zoom

eclectic
28-09-2007, 05:47 PM
I hope everyone can [see] the hidden image and message- please let me know if you cant- should be viewed at 50% zoom

is it an embedded video of nigel waving and saying "see you all in november" ?

if so i can't see it; i might need to upgrade my acrobat reader :hmm:

:P

Elwood Bendigo
28-09-2007, 05:56 PM
is it an embedded video of nigel waving and saying "see you all in november" ?

if so i can't see it; i might need to upgrade my acrobat reader :hmm:

:P

Apart from Nig, what do you see-

eclectic
28-09-2007, 06:05 PM
i can't see anything really; it's probably staring me in the face

i know the sides of the chess king are the silhouettes of two faces

just wondering if there are layers a la photoshop that haven't been activated?

EGOR
28-09-2007, 06:09 PM
i know the sides of the chess king are the silhouettes of two faces
That's about it.

Elwood Bendigo
28-09-2007, 06:18 PM
That's about it.

there is more- but you have to look very closely and with imagination

Basil
28-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Here is the A2 poster - we will get this printed and sent to as many clubs as possible with the entry forms

I hope everyone can the hidden image and message- please let me know if you cant- should be viewed at 50% zoom

Hi EB

The figurine is the space between two busts (faces in profile) facing each other.

The poster is excellent - both in concept & execution as well as more than passing muster on the sales front. I would have been most proud if that were my work. Congratulations.

Incidentally I have a small clue Dip. Advertising (Hons), Aust Inst. M'ment

Davidflude
29-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Shame the poster was not attached to the email sent out by Kara even though he said thjat it was. I should take some blame as well. I sent out a short bulletin to subscribers to the Chess Victoria newssheet without checking here first. so did not attach the bulletin.

This gives me a good excuse to send out a reminder in a few days and to attach a copy of the poster.

Elwood Bendigo
30-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Shame the poster was not attached to the email sent out by Kara even though he said thjat it was. I should take some blame as well. I sent out a short bulletin to subscribers to the Chess Victoria newssheet without checking here first. so did not attach the bulletin.

This gives me a good excuse to send out a reminder in a few days and to attach a copy of the poster.

its been resent

Elwood Bendigo
30-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi EB

The figurine is the space between two busts (faces in profile) facing each other.

The poster is excellent - both in concept & execution as well as more than passing muster on the sales front. I would have been most proud if that were my work. Congratulations.

Incidentally I have a small clue Dip. Advertising (Hons), Aust Inst. M'ment

Chimera design came up with the concept and design- they are one of the sponsors

Elwood Bendigo
30-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi All,

Here is some exert from Nigel short email today

Extremely tempting as your offer is, I am afraid that I am going to turn it down, unless you can give me another couple of weeks or so to decide. First I really need to speak to Parimarjan Negi as I am supposed to be coaching him in November although it is not 100% confirmed. I also need to look into the look into the logistics .............. If you can bear with me until then, I will look into it seriously. If you need an instant answer it will have to be "no". In that case we can work towards 2008 .
All the best,
Nigel.

eclectic
30-09-2007, 05:13 PM
looks like it's a no unless there's an unexpected turn of events for the better

on a brighter note perhaps we can invite parimarjan negi as well next year?

:cool:

Mischa
30-09-2007, 09:19 PM
:(

Elwood Bendigo
30-09-2007, 09:42 PM
:(

Well we tried- bu I think there is still a chance-unfortunately he cant tell till after the 14th Nov-

Garvinator
30-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Well we tried- bu I think there is still a chance-unfortunately he cant tell till after the 14th Nov-
14th of Nov? or 14th of Oct?

Mischa
30-09-2007, 09:50 PM

Oct obviously.....you did well Barbaros...at least he now knows we exist

Elwood Bendigo
30-09-2007, 10:17 PM

Oct

morebeer
01-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I would like to voice my approval of the poster design. It is a strong concept which is also well executed. I think A2 or A1 sized versions would look fantastic. Congratulations to Barbaros and Igor.

Elwood Bendigo
01-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Current list of interested players

No Name Feder Rtg Loc

1. Antic, Dejan 2468 2486

2. Johansen, Darryl 2446 2424

3. Goldenberg, Igor 2400 2391

4. Sandler, Leonid 2364 2319

5. Sales, Jesse 2324 2312

6. Stojic, Dusan 2242 2142

7. Wallis, Christopher 2238 2202

8. Pyke, Malcolm 2225 2111

9. Dragicevic, Domagoi 2182 2139

10. Zhigen Wilson, Lin 2174 2095

11. Gorka, Carl 2139 2064

12. Partsi, Dimitry 2123 2065

13. Pekak, Mariusz 2113 2053

14. Stead, Kerry 2098 2009

15. Stones, Douglas 2043 1803

16. Morris, James 2025 2088

17. Schon, Eugene 1963 1888

18. Tsagarakis, Angelo 1934 1880

19. Antolis, Cedric 1783 1817

20. Hogg, Dean 1944

21. Kara, Barboros 1755

22. Reid, Bill 1648

23. Beckman, John 1618

24. Taylor, Stephen 1594

25. Stanishef, Alex 1574

26. Renzies, Elliot 1452

27. Kostrzewa, Jake 1402

28. Mckenzie, Mark 1164

29. Galve, Carmella Phil

30. John So Kua, Timothy Phil

31. Kwok, Leeland Phil

32. Olar Jr., Claudio Phil

33. Patrick Dulay, Patrick Phil

34. Sannidhanam, Anurag

Elwood Bendigo
02-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Today I got this mail from Nigel

Unfortunately I have discovered today that I physically cannot make it to your tournament. The Asian Indoor Games in Macau finishes slightly later than I had been originally told. I hope we can keep next year firmly in mind.
Regards,
Nigel.

I really appreciate all the support in trying to bring Nigel out

Elwood Bendigo
02-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Current list of interested players

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Title

1. Antic, Dejan 2468 2486 gm
2. Johansen, Darryl 2446 2424 gm
3. Goldenberg, Igor 2400 2391 fm
4. Sandler, Leonid 2364 2319 im
5. Sales, Jesse 2324 2312 fm
10. Zhigen Wilson, Lin 2174 2095
11. Gorka, Carl 2139 2064
12. Partsi, Dimitry 2123 2065
13. Pekak, Mariusz 2113 2053
14. Stead, Kerry 2098 2009
15. Stones, Douglas 2043 1803
16. Morris, James 2025 2088 fm
17. Schon, Eugene 1963 1888
18. Tsagarakis, Angelo 1934 1880
19. Antolis, Cedric 1783 1817
20. Hogg, Dean 1944
21. Kara, Barboros 1755
22. Reid, Bill 1648
23. Beckman, John 1618
24. Taylor, Stephen 1594
25. Stanishef, Alex 1574
26. Renzies, Elliot 1452
27. Kostrzewa, Jake 1402
28. Mckenzie, Mark 1164
29. Galve, Carmella Phil
30. Inthavong, Kiao
31. John So Kua, Timothy Phil
32. Kwok, Leeland Phil
33. Olar Jr., Claudio Phil
34. Patrick Dulay, Patrick Phil
35. Sannidhanam, Anurag

Bereaved
02-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi EB,

I was wondering where the ACF rating you are quoting was coming from as I thought that

2119!! 35 76 20 Pyke, Malcolm L

from the ACF site was my new rating?

I am not criticising, I think you are doing a wonderful job in this event, just was curious. This is the quote I refer to.

PS bad luck about Short

eclectic
02-10-2007, 06:59 PM
maybe null 0000 ratings could be inserted for those without fide ratings to help the formatting

Bill Gletsos
02-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I was wondering where the ACF rating you are quoting was coming fromGood question.

Bill Gletsos
02-10-2007, 07:15 PM
maybe null 0000 ratings could be inserted for those without fide ratings to help the formattingThere also seems to be a problem with players names for players 29 and 31-34

Elwood Bendigo
02-10-2007, 08:22 PM
There also seems to be a problem with players names for players 29 and 31-34

What is the problem with there names- can you be specific please-

Elwood Bendigo
02-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi EB,

I was wondering where the ACF rating you are quoting was coming from as I thought that

from the ACF site was my new rating?

I am not criticising, I think you are doing a wonderful job in this event, just was curious. This is the quote I refer to.

PS bad luck about Short

My mistake- will fix ASAP- cheers

Bill Gletsos
02-10-2007, 08:37 PM
What is the problem with there names- can you be specific please-Well when I made that post I noticed they all have Phil in them.
I see now having placed them in code tags that they are in the Federation field.

Player 34 however seems to have Patrick occuring twice in his name.

On a more important note it appears the players who exist on the ACF master file have not been imported from the SP master file.

If this is indeed the case, then why were they not imported.

Manually entering players instead of importing them, not only introduces the possibilty of errors but simply adds work for the State Ratings Officer as well as the National Ratings Officers.

eclectic
02-10-2007, 08:50 PM
would it make sense to have a provision for inputting a player's acf player code into an online entry form if that were to make the importing of other information about the player easier?

Elwood Bendigo
02-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Well when I made that post I noticed they all have Phil in them.
I see now having placed them in code tags that they are in the Federation field.

Player 34 however seems to have Patrick occuring twice in his name.

On a more important note it appears the players who exist on the ACF master file have not been imported from the SP master file.

If this is indeed the case, then why were they not imported.

Manually entering players instead of importing them, not only introduces the possibilty of errors but simply adds work for the State Ratings Officer as well as the National Ratings Officers.

Thanks for the helpfull comments- never used SP before so just having a play around with it- I am sure the arbiter will enter th elist of players on the day more in line with how you suggest

Bill Gletsos
02-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the helpfull comments- never used SP before so just having a play around with it- I am sure the arbiter will enter th elist of players on the day more in line with how you suggestAlso if you have any questions regarding it you can get the arbiter to show you when he is down there.

Mischa
02-10-2007, 09:41 PM
All FIDE ratings need updating now...:)

eclectic
02-10-2007, 09:42 PM
All FIDE ratings need updating now...:)

now who got 45 odd points this october?

;)

Mischa
02-10-2007, 09:43 PM
ummmm.....

eclectic
02-10-2007, 09:48 PM
smurfo will look at that gain and go

if i'd done that i'd be a GM now!!

:rolleyes:

Elwood Bendigo
03-10-2007, 09:57 PM
No Name Feder Rtg Loc

1. Antic, Dejan 2468 2486

2. Johansen, Darryl 2446 2424

3. Goldenberg, Igor 2400 2391

4. Sandler, Leonid 2364 2319

5. Sales, Jesse 2324 2312

8. Pyke, Malcolm 2225 2119

10.Edsil DILLA 2176

11. Zhigen Wilson, Lin 2174 2095

12. Gorka, Carl 2139 2064

13. Partsi, Dimitry 2123 2065

14. Pekak, Mariusz 2113 2053

15. Stead, Kerry 2098 2009

16. Ly Thai 2050 1876

17. Stones, Douglas 2043 1803

18. Morris, James 2025 2088

19. Voon, RIchard 1985 1852

20. Schon, Eugene 1963 1888

21. Tsagarakis, Angelo 1934 1880

22. Craciun, Christian 1844

23. Antolis, Cedric 1783 1817

24. Hogg, Dean 1944

25. Chung, Francisco 1761

26. Kara, Barboros 1755

27. Reid, Bill 1648

28. Beckman, John 1618

29. Taylor, Stephen 1594

30. Stanishef, Alex 1574

31. Renzies, Elliot 1452

32. Kostrzewa, Jake 1402

33. Mckenzie, Mark 1164

34. Galve, Carmella Phil

35. John So Kua, Timothy Phil

36. Kwok, Leeland Phil

37. Olar Jr., Claudio Phil

38. Patrick Dulay, Patrick Phil

39. Sannidhanam, Anurag

Elwood Bendigo
04-10-2007, 05:41 PM
90No Name Feder Rtg Loc Title

4. Bjelobrk, Igor 2379 2423 fm
5. Sandler, Leonid 2364 2319 im
6. Sales, Jesse 2324 2312 fm
7. Stojic, Dusan 2242 2142
8. Wallis, Christopher 2238 2202
9. Pyke, Malcolm 2225 2111
10. Dragicevic, Domagoi 2182 2139
16. Ly, Thai 2050 1856
18. Morris, James 2025 2088 fm
19. Voon, Richard 1985 1852
22. Brockman, Roland 1784 1588
24. Dilla, Edsil 2176
25. Hogg, Dean 1944
26. Kara, Barboros 1755
27. Reid, Bill 1648
28. Beckman, John 1618
29. Taylor, Stephen 1594
30. Stanishef, Alex 1574
31. Renzies, Elliot 1452
32. Kostrzewa, Jake 1402
33. Mckenzie, Mark 1164
34. Galve, Carmella Phil
35. Inthavong, Kiao
36. John So Kua, Timothy Phil
37. Kwok, Leeland Phil
38. Olar Jr., Claudio Phil
39. Patrick Dulay, Patrick Phil
40. Sannidhanam, Anurag

Elwood Bendigo
04-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Does anybody know how to copy the SP file correctly from SP so it looks decent and is shown in an adjustable table so I dont tak eup so much space?

Garvinator
04-10-2007, 06:22 PM
No Name Rtg Loc Title

16. Ly, Thai 2050 1856
24. Dilla, Edsil 2176
25. Hogg, Dean 1944
26. Kara, Barboros 1755
27. Reid, Bill 1648
28. Beckman, John 1618
29. Taylor, Stephen 1594
30. Stanishef, Alex 1574
31. Renzies, Elliot 1452
32. Kostrzewa, Jake 1402
33. Mckenzie, Mark 1164
34. Galve, Carmella Phil
35. Inthavong, Kiao
37. Kwok, Leeland Phil
40. Sannidhanam, Anurag

Elwood Bendigo
04-10-2007, 07:04 PM
No Name Rtg Loc Title

16. Ly, Thai 2050 1856
24. Dilla, Edsil 2176
25. Hogg, Dean 1944
26. Kara, Barboros 1755
27. Reid, Bill 1648
28. Beckman, John 1618
29. Taylor, Stephen 1594
30. Stanishef, Alex 1574
31. Renzies, Elliot 1452
32. Kostrzewa, Jake 1402
33. Mckenzie, Mark 1164
34. Galve, Carmella Phil
35. Inthavong, Kiao
37. Kwok, Leeland Phil
40. Sannidhanam, Anurag
Thanks Garvin

Garvinator
04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
:hmm: when I put up the players with coding, they were in a line, except for player 40, who I deliberately placed next to player 39 to get rid of the right vertical scroll bar.

Now I look at it, some of the tabs have moved and player 40 is back at the bottom and the right scroll bar has appeared again :hmm:

Garvinator
04-10-2007, 10:17 PM
No Name Rtg Loc Title

16. Ly, Thai 2050 1856
24. Dilla, Edsil 2176
25. Hogg, Dean 1944
26. Kara, Barboros 1755
27. Reid, Bill 1648
28. Beckman, John 1618
29. Taylor, Stephen 1594
30. Stanishef, Alex 1574
31. Renzies, Elliot 1452
32. Kostrzewa, Jake 1402
33. Mckenzie, Mark 1164
34. Galve, Carmella Phil
35. Inthavong, Kiao
37. Kwok, Leeland Phil
39. Patrick Dulay, Patrick Phil 40. Sannidhanam, Anurag

Bill Gletsos
04-10-2007, 10:18 PM
:hmm: when I put up the players with coding, they were in a line, except for player 40, who I deliberately placed next to player 39 to get rid of the right vertical scroll bar.

Now I look at it, some of the tabs have moved and player 40 is back at the bottom and the right scroll bar has appeared again :hmm:When I looked at the original a number of ratings were not aligned.

Elwood Bendigo
05-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Here is the entry form- you can also download it at the new web site

www.global1t.com/chess

BTW: Aia software will be dontating $2 from every entry to the Prostate cancer foundation

Elwood Bendigo
05-10-2007, 08:57 PM
The new Tournament site is up

www.global1t.com/chess

eclectic
05-10-2007, 09:25 PM

www.global1t.com/chess

i note anand is shown twice in the best chess player ever poll on the side whereas karpov is not mentioned at all :whistle:

;)

Elwood Bendigo
05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
i note anand is shown twice in the best chess player ever poll on the side whereas karpov is not mentioned at all :whistle:

;)

This is at Anands request- who am I to argue:)

Watto
05-10-2007, 11:46 PM

www.global1t.com/chess
new website looks great. Sorry to be a pedantic pain in the aarse but this spelling worried me... undersatans. :hmm: ;)

eclectic
05-10-2007, 11:47 PM
new website looks great. Sorry to be a pedantic pain in the aarse but this spelling worried me... undersatans. :hmm: ;)

as is often said Watto the devil is in the details!! :owned:

;)

Basil
05-10-2007, 11:54 PM
as is often said Watto the devil is in the details!! :owned:

;)
That's terrible. Go and vote in the noise thread. Immediately.

Garvinator
07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
1. ANTIC, Dejan 2476 2486
2. JOHANSEN, Darryl K 2446 2424
3. GOLDENBERG, Igor 2408 2391
4. BJELOBRK, Igor 2379 2423
5. SANDLER, Leonid 2364 2319
6. SALES, Jesse Noel 2312 2312
7. RUJEVIC, Mirko 2274 2216
8. WALLIS, Christopher 2257 2202
9. DRAGICEVIC, Domagoj 2254 2139
10. PYKE, Malcolm L 2205 2119
11. STOJIC, Dusan 2193 2142
12. LIN, Zhigen Wilson 2146 2095
13. GORKA, Carl 2137 2064
14. PARTSI, Dimitry 2123 2065
15. PEKAK, Mariusz 2113 2053
16. STEAD, Kerry 2098 2009
17. MORRIS, James 2073 2088
18. LY, Thai 2050 1855
19. KILDISAS, Victor E 2019 1934
20. STONES, Douglas 2014 1803
21. VOON, Richard 1985 1852
22. SCHON, Eugene 1975 1888
23. TSAGARAKIS, Angelo 1940 1880
24. ANTOLIS, Cedric 1797 1817
25. BROCKMAN, Roland 1784 1588
26. BECKMAN, John 1701 1618
27. DILLA, Edsil 2176
28. HOGG, Dean 1940
29. KARA, Barbaros 1755
30. REID, Bill 1648
31. TAYLOR, Stephan James 1594
32. STANISHEFF, Alex 1574
33. RENZIES, Elliott 1452
34. KOSTRZEWA, Jake 1402
35. MCKENZIE, Mark 1164
36. GALVE, Carmella
37. INTHAVONG, Kiao
38. JOHN SO KUA, Timothy
39. KWOK, Leeland
40. OLAR JNR, Claudio
41. PATRICK DULAY, Patrick 42. SANNIDHANAM, Anurag

eclectic
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
any developments i.e. further entries etc ?

Elwood Bendigo
11-10-2007, 10:17 AM
List of Players

7. rujevic, Mirko 2274 2216 im
8. Stojic, Dusan 2242 2142
9. Wallis, Christopher 2238 2202
10. Pyke, Malcolm 2225 2111
11. Dragicevic, Domagoi 2182 2139
12. Zhigen Wilson, Lin 2174 2095
13. Skiotis, Pano 2158
14. Gorka, Carl 2139 2064
15. Partsi, Dimitry 2123 2065
16. Pekak, Mariusz 2113 2053
17. Stead, Kerry 2098 2009
18. Ly, Thai 2050 1856
19. Stones, Douglas 2043 1803
20. Morris, James 2025 2088 fm
21. Kildisas, Victor 2019 1934
22. Voon, Richard 1985 1852
23. Schon, Eugene 1963 1888
24. Tsagarakis, Angelo 1934 1880
25. Brockman, Roland 1784 1588
26. Antolis, Cedric 1783 1817
27. Dilla, Edsil 2176
28. Hogg, Dean 1944
29. Kara, Barboros 1755
30. Reid, Bill 1648
31. Beckman, John 1618
32. Taylor, Stephen 1594
33. Stanishef, Alex 1574
34. Renzies, Elliot 1452
35. Kostrzewa, Jake 1402
36. Anton, Sarah 1256
37. Mckenzie, Mark 1164
38. Galve, Carmella Phil
39. Inthavong, Kiao
40. John So Kua, Timothy Phil
41. Kwok, Leeland Phil
42. Olar Jr., Claudio Phil
43. Patrick Dulay, Patrick Phil
44. Sannidhanam, Anurag
45. Spencer, Anthony 1346

Dougy
11-10-2007, 11:15 AM
How many players do you expect will just turn up on the day? Already there is a decent number of players of reasonable strength. Last year was a very exciting tournament, 'ey? A strong field for sure...

Elwood Bendigo
11-10-2007, 12:40 PM
How many players do you expect will just turn up on the day? Already there is a decent number of players of reasonable strength. Last year was a very exciting tournament, 'ey? A strong field for sure...

Well I am hoping that most enter ahead of the tournament- I dont think we got too many on the actual day-

Garvinator
11-10-2007, 12:52 PM
No Name Rtg Loc

12. DILLA, Edsil 2176 2176
13. SKIOTIS, Pano 2158 2058
14. LIN, Zhigen Wilson 2146 2095
15. GORKA, Carl 2137 2064
16. PARTSI, Dimitry 2123 2065
17. PECAK, Mariusz 2113 2053
18. STEAD, Kerry 2098 2009
19. MORRIS, James 2073 2088
20. LY, Thai 2050 1855
21. KILDISAS, Victor E 2019 1934
22. STONES, Douglas 2014 1803
23. VOON, Richard 1985 1852
24. SCHON, Eugene 1975 1888
25. HOGG, Dean 1940 1940
26. TSAGARAKIS, Angelo 1940 1880
27. ANTOLIS, Cedric 1797 1817
28. BROCKMAN, Roland 1784 1588
29. KARA, Barbaros 1755 1755
30. BECKMAN, John 1701 1618
31. REID, Bill 1648 1648
32. TAYLOR, Stephan James 1594 1594
33. STANISHEFF, Alex 1574 1574
34. RENZIES, Elliott 1452 1452
35. KOSTRZEWA, Jake 1402 1402
36. MCKENZIE, Mark 1164 1164
37. SPENCER, Anthony G 1346 1346
38. ANTON, Sarah 1256 1256
39. GALVE, Carmella
40. INTHAVONG, Kiao
41. JOHN SO KUA, Timothy
42. KWOK, Leeland
43. OLAR JNR, Claudio
44. PATRICK DULAY, Patrick
45. SANNIDHANAM, Anurag

WhiteElephant
11-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Is there a maximum number cutoff?

Elwood Bendigo
11-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Is there a maximum number cutoff?
130-

Elwood Bendigo
11-10-2007, 02:53 PM
1.Gary Bekker will be the Chief arbiter of this years 2007 Championships

2.Gavin Gray will work with Gary to ensure the success of the tornament.

3.There will 6 junior players from the Philippines attending this yrs event. The juniors are on school holidays and envisage comming out to this tournament on a regular bases during their school holidays- so please make them welcome during the event

WhiteElephant
11-10-2007, 02:55 PM
130-

Thanks.

I am absolutely committed to entering (this will be my one non-blitz tournament for the year) but I am going to leave my entry till the last minute in case work commitments come up. This is highly unlikely so it looks like I will be playing. Have to say, I am really looking forward to it....I grew up in the St Kilda area and it will be great going for a stroll down Acland St between rounds.

Elwood Bendigo
13-10-2007, 06:27 PM
No Name Rtg Loc

12. DILLA, Edsil 2176 2176
13. SKIOTIS, Pano 2158 2058
14. LIN, Zhigen Wilson 2146 2095
15. GORKA, Carl 2137 2064
16. PARTSI, Dimitry 2123 2065
17. PECAK, Mariusz 2113 2053
18. STEAD, Kerry 2098 2009
19. MORRIS, James 2073 2088
20. LY, Thai 2050 1855
21. KILDISAS, Victor E 2019 1934
22. STONES, Douglas 2014 1803
23. VOON, Richard 1985 1852
24. SCHON, Eugene 1975 1888
25. HOGG, Dean 1940 1940
26. TSAGARAKIS, Angelo 1940 1880
27. ANTOLIS, Cedric 1797 1817
28. BROCKMAN, Roland 1784 1588
29. Chung, Francisco 1761
30. KARA, Barbaros 1755 1755
31. BECKMAN, John 1701 1618
32. REID, Bill 1648 1648
33. Bakanursky, Josh 1593
34. TAYLOR, Stephan James 1594 1594
35. STANISHEFF, Alex 1574 1574
36. RENZIES, Elliott 1452 1452
37. KOSTRZEWA, Jake 1402 1402
38. MCKENZIE, Mark 1164 1164
39. SPENCER, Anthony G 1346 1346
40. ANTON, Sarah 1256 1256
41 Kordes, David 1120
42. GALVE, Carmella
43. INTHAVONG, Kiao
44. JOHN SO KUA, Timothy
45. KWOK, Leeland
46. OLAR JNR, Claudio
47. PATRICK DULAY, Patrick
48. SANNIDHANAM, Anurag

Elwood Bendigo
15-10-2007, 05:34 PM
We have now reached 50 players- see www.global1t.com/chess for more info

eclectic
15-10-2007, 06:29 PM
when exactly will payments be processed?

i'm assuming it will be nearer to the event and that the credit card payment option will be treated as a product purchase from chessworld(?) not as a cash advance

Elwood Bendigo
18-10-2007, 02:14 PM
when exactly will payments be processed?

i'm assuming it will be nearer to the event and that the credit card payment option will be treated as a product purchase from chessworld(?) not as a cash advance
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you-

Chessworld is processing payments as they come in

Elwood Bendigo
19-10-2007, 08:28 AM

1 Antic, Dejan SRB 2468 2486 gm
2 Johansen, Darryl AUS 2446 2424 gm
3 Goldenberg, Igor AUS 2408 2391 fm
4 Bjelobrk, Igor AUS 2379 2423 fm
5 Sandler, Leonid AUS 2364 2319 im
6 Noel Sales, Jesse PHI 2312 2324 fm
7 Rujevic, Mirko AUS 2274 2216 im
8 Wallis, Christopher AUS 2257 2202
9 Dragicevic, Domagoi AUS 2254 2139
10 Pyke, Malcolm AUS 2205 2119
11 Stojic, Dusan AUS 2193 2142
12 Skiotis, Pano AUS 2158 2058
13 Zhigen Wilson, Lin AUS 2146 2095
14 Gorka, Carl ENG 2137 2064
15 Lojanica, Milenko BIH 2133 2050
16 Partsi, Dimitry AUS 2123 2065
17 Pecak, Mariusz POL 2113 2053
18 Stead, Kerry AUS 2098 2009
19 Mehmedalija, Dizdarevic BIH 2061 1918
20 Ly, Thai AUS 2050 1856
21 Stones, Douglas AUS 2043 1803
22 Morris, James AUS 2025 2088 fm
23 Kildisas, Victor AUS 2019 1934
24 Pallabi, Roy IND 2003
25 Uttam, Saha IND 2003
26 Voon, Richard AUS 1985 1852
27 Zdravko, Lojanica BIH 1977 2005
28 Schon, Eugene AUS 1963 1888
29 Tsagarakis, Angelo AUS 1934 1880
30 Kordahi, Nicholas NSW 1888 1792
31 Jose, Escribano AUS 1862 1700
32 Brockman, Roland AUS 1784 1588
32 Antolis, Cedric AUS 1783 1817
33 Dilla, Edsil AUS 2176
34 Hogg, Dean AUS 1944
35 Chung, Francisco AUS 1761
36 Kara, Barboros AUS 1755
37 Reid, Bill AUS 1648
38 Beckman, John AUS 1618
39 Taylor, Stephen AUS 1594
40 Bakanursky, Josh AUS 1593
41 Stanishef, Alex AUS 1574
42 Renzies, Elliot AUS 1452
43 Kostrzewa, Jake AUS 1402
44 Spencer, Anthony AUS 1346
45 Anton, Sarah AUS 1256
46 Mckenzie, Mark AUS 1164
47 Kordes, David AUS 1120
48 Galve, Carmella PHI
49 Inthavong, Kiao PHI
50 John So Kua, Timothy PHI
51 Kwok, Leeland PHI
52 Olar Jr., Claudio PHI
53 Patrick Dulay, Patrick PHI
54 Sannidhanam, Anurag

snowyriverman
19-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Review Player 27 first name/surname.
Review spelling of first name Player 39

Axiom
19-10-2007, 11:07 PM
2 indians rated 2003 ,coincidence, or are they twins ? (i know with different surnames, but maybe they are unaware) ( i know ,you'd think they'd realise by looking at each other, but .....ok, ok, its a coincidence ! ;) )

Metro
19-10-2007, 11:47 PM
2 indians rated 2003 ,coincidence, or are they twins ? (i know with different surnames, but maybe they are unaware) ( i know ,you'd think they'd realise by looking at each other, but .....ok, ok, its a coincidence ! ;) )

Uttam,Saha IND.2003 FIDE
Pallabi,Roy IND.2032 FIDE

Brian_Jones
20-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Uttam,Saha IND.2003 FIDE
Pallabi,Roy IND.2032 FIDE

Pallabi Roy is, I think, a young girl. The other player is her coach/guardian!

Afitz
20-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Just a quick question with regards to what ratings are being used for
A) Seedings
B) Prizes

Would be appreciated if you could let us all know before the event :)

ER
20-10-2007, 05:25 PM
A) Seedings
B) Prizes

I think both A + B Afitz, plus it helps a lot in doing the pairings in each round in this sort of tournaments.
Having said that, let me add I have no idea of how the whole thing works in relation to the tournament organisation. It is only my guess!
Cheers and good luck

Elwood Bendigo
21-10-2007, 11:12 PM
A) Seedings
B) Prizes

Let you know ASAP- will speak with Garry
Prizes will be based on ACF

Elwood Bendigo
22-10-2007, 08:58 AM
A) Seedings
B) Prizes

Fide rating will be used

Elwood Bendigo
22-10-2007, 09:04 AM
We will have two IA's running the Gambit Elwood Championships

Charles Zworestine IA
Garry Bekker - IA
Garvin Gray-3rd Official

eclectic
22-10-2007, 12:32 PM
We will have two IA's running the Gambit Elwood Championships

Charles Zworestine IA
Garry Bekker - IA
Garvin Gray-3rd Official

it will interesting to see if a certain someone will unzip their lips to protest that cz is from interstate :whistle: :hand:

Garvinator
22-10-2007, 12:41 PM
it will interesting to see if a certain someone will unzip their lips to protest that cz is from interstate :whistle: :hand:
Well it would be surely hypocritical not too, or would back the claims made earlier on that it didnt really have anything to do with an interstate issue, but was about the person she was complaining about.

Elwood Bendigo
23-10-2007, 03:25 PM
1. Antic, Dejan SRB 2468 2486 gm
2. Johansen, Darryl AUS 2446 2424 gm
3. Goldenberg, Igor AUS 2408 2391 fm
4. Bjelobrk, Igor AUS 2379 2423 fm
5. Sandler, Leonid AUS 2364 2319 im
6. Noel Sales, Jesse PHI 2312 2324 fm
7. Rujevic, Mirko AUS 2274 2216 im
8. Wallis, Christopher AUS 2257 2202
9. Dragicevic, Domagoi AUS 2254 2139
10. Pyke, Malcolm AUS 2205 2119
11. Stojic, Dusan AUS 2193 2142
12. Skiotis, Pano AUS 2158 2058
13. Zhigen Wilson, Lin AUS 2146 2095
14. Gorka, Carl ENG 2137 2064
15. Lojanica, Milenko BIH 2133 2050
16. Partsi, Dimitry AUS 2123 2065
17. Pecak, Mariusz POL 2113 2053
18. Hacche, David AUS 2103 2048
19. Stead, Kerry AUS 2098 2009
20. Mehmedalija, Dizdarevic BIH 2061 1918
21. Ly, Thai AUS 2050 1856
22. Stones, Douglas AUS 2043 1803
23. Morris, James AUS 2025 2088 fm
24. Kildisas, Victor AUS 2019 1934
25. Pallabi, Roy IND 2003
26. Uttam, Saha IND 2003
27. Adrian, Flitney AUS 1999 1895
28. Voon, Richard AUS 1985 1852
29. Zdravko, Lojanica BIH 1977 2005
30. Schon, Eugene AUS 1963 1888
31. Chmiel, Rad AUS 1936 1667
32. Tsagarakis, Angelo AUS 1934 1880
33. Kordahi, Nicholas NSW 1888 1792
34. Jose, Escribano AUS 1862 1700
35. Brockman, Roland AUS 1784 1588
36. Antolis, Cedric AUS 1783 1817
37. Dilla, Edsil AUS 2176
38. Hogg, Dean AUS 1944
39. Chung, Francisco AUS 1761
40. Kara, Barboros AUS 1755
41. Reid, Bill AUS 1648
42. Beckman, John AUS 1618
43. Taylor, Stephen AUS 1594
44. Bakanursky, Josh AUS 1593
45. Stanishef, Alex AUS 1574
46. Renzies, Elliot AUS 1452
47. Kostrzewa, Jake AUS 1402
48. Spencer, Anthony AUS 1346
49. Anton, Sarah AUS 1256
50. Tan, Justin AUS 1193
51. Mckenzie, Mark AUS 1164
52. Kordes, David AUS 1120
53. Topper, David AUS 1030
54. Galve, Carmella PHI
55. Inthavong, Kiao PHI
56. John So Kua, Timothy PHI
57. Kwok, Leeland PHI
58. Olar Jr., Claudio PHI
59. Patrick Dulay, Patrick PHI
60. Sannidhanam, Anurag

Igor_Goldenberg
23-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Anyone who wish to pay by cash and get an early entry discount can do so this Saturday at Elwood chess club. Either me or Victor will be there