It's grat:)

Aaron Guthrie
31-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Yay for Chess.

Basil
01-09-2007, 07:27 PM
"Chess, like love, is infectious at any age."
Salo Flohr

"Chess is as elaborate a waste of human intelligence as you could find anywhere outside of an advertising agency."
Raymond Chandler

"Chess is a sad waste of brains."
Sir Walter Scott

"Chess is a very sexy game."
Sally Beauman

"Chess is ludicrously difficult."
Stephen Fry

All courtesy The Times Even More Complete Chess Addict

Rincewind
01-09-2007, 09:19 PM
"Chess is ludicrously difficult."
Stephen Fry

I just saw a behind the scenes of the TV show House. And there was an episode with a chess playing kid and House played a game against him. There wasn't much chess content int he doco but Hugh Laurie says that he played quite a bit of chess in his 20's.

Those familiar with the brit comedy show A Little Laurie and Fry will understand the connection.

Basil
02-09-2007, 01:13 AM
"Chess is not game, but a disease."
Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman

Chess is an almost perfect combination of art, investigative science, knowledge and inspiration."
Raymond Keene

"Chess is the art of analysis."
Mikhail Botvinnik

"Chess is the most exciting game in the world."
Irving Chernev

Source: Fox & James

Desmond
05-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Chess is just like poker, except without the cards and the betting. And the talking.

Hobbes
14-06-2011, 11:43 PM
"Chess is as elaborate a waste of human intelligence as you could find anywhere outside of an advertising agency."
Raymond Chandler

I am reading Chandler's The Long Goodbye and came across (almost) this very quote.

Marlowe played through a 72 move draw (from a tournament book probably) which he described as "... a prize specimen of the irresistible force meeting the immovable object, a battle without armour, a war without blood, and as elaborate a waste of human intelligence as you could find anywhere outside an advertising agency."

The sentence reads to me more as if Marlowe (or Chandler) is making this comment about all the effort spent in a 72 move game and not achieving a result, rather than commenting on chess itself.

Does anyone know if this sentence in The Long Goodbye is the only source of the famous Chandler quote, or did Chandler make this quote somewhere else?

Kevin Bonham
15-06-2011, 12:14 AM
I am pretty sure that is the one and only original source. The quote is sometimes given with "[Chess is]" at the front of it and some people seem to have dropped the square brackets. Also on the net the quote is often seen attributed to Chandler but with poker incorrectly stated as the game in question.

The whole sentence:

I filled a pipe, paraded the chessmen and inspected them for French shaves and loose buttons, and played a championship tournament game between Gortchakoff and Meninkin, seventy-two moves to a draw, a prize specimen of the irresistible force meeting the immovable object, a battle without armor, a war without blood, and as elaborate a waste of human intelligence as you could find anywhere outside an advertising agency.

Magnificent!

antichrist
15-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Capt Cook: life is too short for chess

Kevin Bonham
15-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Capt Cook: life is too short for chess

Byron actually. Whether it was Henry James Byron or Lord Byron is under investigation (attributed widely online to both, probably by people who don't realise they are different). Info on primary source would be appreciated.

Rincewind
15-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Byron actually. Whether it was Henry James Byron or Lord Byron is under investigation (attributed widely online to both, probably by people who don't realise they are different). Info on primary source would be appreciated.

Not sure but I do know that Ada Lovelace (famous for her work on Babbage's analytical engine - very early mechanical computer) was the daughter of Lord Byron.

Kevin Bonham
15-06-2011, 01:21 AM
The quote was by Henry James Byron not Lord Byron and the correct quote is "Life’s too short for chess" - Talbot, in Act I of Our Boys by H.J. Byron according to Edward Winter.

LagCheat
09-07-2011, 09:52 PM
'Chess was invented by buggers who were too bad to get a partner.'

Denis_Jessop
10-07-2011, 02:00 PM
The quote was by Henry James Byron not Lord Byron and the correct quote is "Life’s too short for chess" - Talbot, in Act I of Our Boys by H.J. Byron according to Edward Winter.

And the 3rd edition of the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (omitted from later edition(s).

DJ

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
I just saw a behind the scenes of the TV show House. And there was an episode with a chess playing kid and House played a game against him. There wasn't much chess content int he doco but Hugh Laurie says that he played quite a bit of chess in his 20's.

I remember this episode. it was called 'the jerk'.
junior was urinating blood so the dr's decided to administer him (among other things) magic mushrooms. predictably hilarity ensues.

grand prix attack after the kids initial 1 f4. lame default by the dishevelled apathethic one.

interestingly (or not) stephen fry is on the board of norwich city f.c.

therefore, stephen fry is a top bloke !

plus blackadder was pretty good.

machomortensen
11-07-2011, 04:58 AM
"Chess is an eternal struggle against one's own stupidity!"
(Robert Jamieson)

"Chess is a lot like jazz: there is much greater pleasure in playing jazz than in listening to it."
(Misha Savinov)

PS: I hope Bill Egan will forgive me the latter one.