PDA

View Full Version : Kasparov Autobiography.

astraleternity
31-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Hi there,
This is Peter Teiman writing from Sweden.
Can anyone tell me if Gary Kasparov ever wrote an autobiography.
Many thanks,
Peter Teiman

When will you start changing your sleeping times so you can watch this tournament live?[/QUOTE]

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi there,
This is Peter Teiman writing from Sweden.
Can anyone tell me if Gary Kasparov ever wrote an autobiography.

Very early in his career he wrote an autobiography called "Unlimited Challenge", which was updated after he won the world title. I have personally never seen a copy.

Ian Rout
31-08-2007, 01:34 PM
He wrote a book called something like "Child of Change" which I think is autobiographical or at least is so in part. I may even have it somewhere. This may be one of the updates which Kevin referred to. It isn't a recent book however (maybe mid-90s).

Denis_Jessop
31-08-2007, 10:18 PM
"Unlimited Challenge" was published by Grove Weidenfeld, New York in 1990. It as an up-dated version of "Child of Change" which was originally published in Great Britain in 1987. It is described as an Autobiography. I have a copy bought on remainder at Academic Remainders, Canberra several years ago.

DJ

Ian Rout
01-09-2007, 10:19 PM
In fact on inspecting my library the one I have is not "Child of Change" but "Test of Time" (1986 translation). It has a little biographical content including some photographs but looks to be a mainly a game collection.

Denis_Jessop
02-09-2007, 05:01 PM
In fact on inspecting my library the one I have is not "Child of Change" but "Test of Time" (1986 translation). It has a little biographical content including some photographs but looks to be a mainly a game collection.

Whereas "Unlimited Challenge" is almost all autobiography but with 10 unannotated games in Appendix A plus cross references to mentions of them in the text.

DJ

MichaelBaron
02-09-2007, 05:49 PM
"Unlimited Challenge" is not an autobyography as such. It is a very good chess book but it talks more about Kasparov
s matches with Karpov rather than about his life.
"The child of Change" is more like his autobiography but i am not sure if an up to date edition has been published recently

Denis_Jessop
03-09-2007, 07:55 PM
"Unlimited Challenge" is not an autobyography as such. It is a very good chess book but it talks more about Kasparov
s matches with Karpov rather than about his life.
"The child of Change" is more like his autobiography but i am not sure if an up to date edition has been published recently

Michael: Please see my post #4 - "Unlimited Challenge" and "Child of Change" are the same book, the former being a USA edition (up-dated) of the latter.

DJ

machomortensen
15-11-2011, 01:58 AM
@ Peter Teiman

"Child of Change" was written by Donald Trelford and Garri Kasparov in 1987.

It was translated to danish in 1988 and called "Alt på et bræt".

It's one of worst chessbooks ever written...

Tan the Bdx Man
15-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Hey Astraleternity, love your name Astral Travelling is fun

Yes Kasparov wrote a very inspiring book "How life imitates chess" It is basically his experiences with chess in his life and the lessons he's learnt. For an indepth analysis this online Australian Chess podcast covers this book in episode 19:

www.chesscrazytalk.com

Denis_Jessop
15-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Kasparov is now writing a 3-volume autobiography of his chess career (Kasparov on Kasparov) Part 1 of which covering 1973 - 1985 has recently been published.

DJ

Brian_Jones
16-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Kasparov is now writing a 3-volume autobiography of his chess career (Kasparov on Kasparov) Part 1 of which covering 1973 - 1985 has recently been published.

DJ

Available at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=detail&o=9781857446722

Capablanca-Fan
16-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes Kasparov wrote a very inspiring book "How life imitates chess" It is basically his experiences with chess in his life and the lessons he's learnt. For an indepth analysis this online Australian Chess podcast covers this book in episode 19:

I thought it was crass; he should definitely stick to chess.

Capablanca-Fan
16-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Available at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=detail&o=9781857446722
What do you think of it?

Brian_Jones
17-11-2011, 08:55 AM
What do you think of it?

Hi Jono. Nicely produced HB book with a striking blue cover but no comments from me on the contents! I will leave that to the book reviewers in Australasian Chess magazine! ;)

chesscra
05-12-2011, 07:08 PM
He had written "Unlimited challenge".This was famous autobiography book.BetterWorldBooks is selling this books.

Denis_Jessop
05-12-2011, 08:13 PM
He had written "Unlimited challenge".This was famous autobiography book.BetterWorldBooks is selling this books.

You must have been reading posts #1 - #9 inclusive, above :P

DJ