PDA

View Full Version : Fidget Fingers

Basil
27-08-2007, 05:21 PM
From 'Dealing With Defeat'

Will there be a parallel topic on dealing with da hands?
Perhaps this is a chance for you to achieve the fabled non-replied to thread.

There's a particular chap (junior as it happens) on the Queensland circuit who cannot/ will not stop fiddling during the game. He's either crunching his knuckles, fiddling with chocolate wrappers, crackling plastic cups ... you name it, he can find 1001 annoying things to occupy his fingers during a game.

Having to sit in front of this two or more hours ... it's enough to make one's hair fall out. I'm wondering if I can save everyone time (arbiter, parents and players next table) by simply rapping his knuckles with a ruler. Is that such a bad thing?

DanielBell
27-08-2007, 05:49 PM
My gf comes with me to rooty hill (she likes the free coffee!) and gets a bit fidgity so I often have to shush her because I don't want to annoy anyone! She's taking a book tonight so that should keep her!

Desmond
27-08-2007, 06:02 PM
My gf comes with me to rooty hill (she likes the free coffee!) That's the way, get them in with the coffee, and then get them hooked on chess! <insert maniacal laughter here>

Ausknight
30-08-2007, 10:11 AM
From 'Dealing With Defeat'

There's a particular chap (junior as it happens) on the Queensland circuit who cannot/ will not stop fiddling during the game. He's either crunching his knuckles, fiddling with chocolate wrappers, crackling plastic cups ... you name it, he can find 1001 annoying things to occupy his fingers during a game.

Having to sit in front of this two or more hours ... it's enough to make one's hair fall out. I'm wondering if I can save everyone time (arbiter, parents and players next table) by simply rapping his knuckles with a ruler. Is that such a bad thing?

Fidgeting constantly can just be a sign of nerves, a disease or it can even be a deliberate ploy to put an opponent off their game. I feel that much of the game of Chess is as much a psycological battle as a tactical one and anything I think that can annoy your opponent would play a role there and I wouldn't put it past some people to go for an advantage like that.

As for what you can actually do about it when you face it, I would wonder what the official rules say in such a situation. Is it enough to warrant the attention of an arbiter? Depends on what legal ground he has to stand on as per the rules.

After all, some people can't help but be like that for reasons other than simply being nervous. I would hate to be in a situation where you would say something to an opponent or call an arbiter over only to find your opponent is suffering from Parkinsons' disease or something... now THAT would be awkward!!! :uhoh:

Basil
30-08-2007, 05:54 PM
No, not referring to disabilities. Not cerebral palsy, not sight impaired, not mental retardation, psychological disorders, not chronic nervous dispositions; nada.

I am referring to the boys who grow up to rattle chip wrappers in the movies, who are completely unaware of their surroundings and their obligations on account of
a) stupidity
b) selfishness
c) daddy was having a drink while they grew up into little bast**ds

I'm simply offering to Daddy's work - gratis ;)

Ausknight
31-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Well in that case, thump away I say!

:)