here are the details

Tournament: A 7 round swiss tournament in 2 divisions

Rate of Play: 75 min. per player per game plus 30 sec. per move from move one

Ratings: ACF rated

Entry fees: Early bird entry fee $35 Pay by Tuesday September 11

Or after that date Full entry fee $50

Entries close 7.30 Friday September 21

Free entry for Grand Masters and International Masters

Payments: Cash, or cheque to the Box Hill Chess Club Inc.

Entries: by mail to the address on the entry form or in person at the Box Hill Chess Club. Or via the web site http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/

Enquiries: Gerry Hartland tournament organiser

Telephone 9878 3163 E-mail: gerrit.hartland@bigpond.com

Prizes

Total Prize fund $1500

First Prize $500

Second Prize $250

Third prize $150
2 A division prizes $100 each

4 B division prizes $100 each

Playing schedule:

Fridays: September, 21, 28, 7.45 PM

October 5, 12, 26. 7.45 PM

November 2. 7.45

Postponed Games Sunday mornings or Tuesday evenings.

Davidflude
09-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Early bird entries close on Tuesday. As the club is closed this Tuesday then i suggest you ring Gerrit on 0398983163 to discuss this.

Davidflude
11-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Early bird entries close on Tuesday. As the club is closed this Tuesday then i suggest you ring Gerrit on 0398983163 to discuss this.

last day today, so get your entries in.

Davidflude
11-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Entries are coming in. The micro juniors are out in force

There are 40 early bird entries at the time of writing with the star entrant IM Leonid Sandler who after some years of persuading has agreed to join us for this tournament. Leonid is however not the highest rated entrant as that honour at this stage belongs to Sam Chow who outranks him by 8 points We will also see the return to the club of Denis Bourmistrov 2002 Open winner. Apart from these famous players we are also presenting a whole bunch of new micro juniors; so keep your eye on Raymond Chan, Puanala Kiripitige, Daniel Yuan, Eric Tsai-Luong, and Kyle Gibson. And let us not forget the experience of Laurence Matheson, Justin Tan, Isaac and Joshua Ng, and Thomas Feng. Come and join us for the tournament early bird discounts are about to finish Details and entry forms www.boxhillchess.org.au

eclectic
11-09-2007, 04:40 PM
do early bird entries get rewarded for their punctuality by being permitted to play in division A? :uhoh: :hand:

Davidflude
20-09-2007, 09:46 PM
With one day to go the Box Hill Open is attracting a strong field led by top Victorians Sam Chow and IM Leonid Sandler They are closely followed by club champion Chris Wallis, Zhigen Lin, Denis Bourmistrov, Leon Kempen , and New Zealand sensation Bobby Cheng. There is still plenty more room in the tournament. Entries close 7.30 tomorrow. Go to the website: www.boxhillchess.org.au for full details

Davidflude
20-09-2007, 10:01 PM
do early bird entries get rewarded for their punctuality by being permitted to play in division A? :uhoh: :hand:

We run a single tournament with permanent acceleration. If anyone in the bottom half of the field plays brilliantly he or she will run into really tough opponents towards the end of the tournament.

This approach has advantages and disadvantages. I would suggest that other clubs try this approach in some tournament and then seek feedback from their members as to how they like this arrangement.

eclectic
20-09-2007, 10:11 PM
We run a single tournament with permanent acceleration. If anyone in the bottom half of the field plays brilliantly he or she will run into really tough opponents towards the end of the tournament.

This approach has advantages and disadvantages. I would suggest that other clubs try this approach in some tournament and then seek feedback from their members as to how they like this arrangement.

if anyone in the bottom half of the field plays brilliantly they deserve to win!!!!
:hand:

Mischa
20-09-2007, 10:15 PM
hmmmm.....so many different rules....I find it hard to keep up....how do kids get to understand where they stand and where they have a chance of being?

Davidflude
20-09-2007, 10:58 PM
hmmmm.....so many different rules....I find it hard to keep up....how do kids get to understand where they stand and where they have a chance of being?

You are right on the money Mischa. however its not just the kids. Adults get confused as well.

Iwould not like to see the PCA suggestion adopted though. It is just too inflexible.

TrueBeliever
26-09-2007, 05:26 PM
The first round of the 2007 Box Hill Open attracted a good field with B division kicking in at just below 1200. If Eclectic had elected to play he would have been close to the top with a good chance for a rating prize. Details of round one and the draw for round two can be found on the BHCC web site:
www.boxhillchess.org.au

eclectic
28-09-2007, 11:41 PM
if anyone in the bottom half of the field plays brilliantly they deserve to win!!!!
:hand:

as a result of snide comments being posted elsewhere about me i thought i better rephrase this

IF ANYONE IN THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE FIELD PLAYS BRILLIANTLY THEY DESERVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO WIN THE TOURNAMENT

it would be good if there were a rule here that banned players were not permitted to quote any material from here at other forums for the duration of their ban

realistically though it's impractical

eclectic
29-09-2007, 04:34 AM
I've decided to voice my extreme displeasure at the actions perpetrated by a banned member here at another forum.

It should be well known to those in the know as to how much I object to the Box Hill split swiss system and the way it ensures that the bottom half of the field are never permitted to win events using this system no matter how talented they are.

The banned member in question decides that over at Matthew Sweeney's moribund forum he will trawl the Box Hill Chess Club archives undertake an examination of my performances in situations where I am a Division B player playing against a Division A player.

His agenda is to deliberately ridicule me by making out that as a lowly rated player I have no right to protest about such a format and to find instances of my making a fool of myself in so called junk round games.

Please see the screenshot attachment provided given I am not permitted to directly link.

If you can't access the attachment it's under constructive criticism - most players prefer competitive games

He comes back with a game I played against one Alan Elliott making out the game occurred in Round 1 of the 2003 Box Hill Open and that I lost the game.

Granted, I did lose the game.

0-1

"darn" he smarmily comments.

The only problem is:

It was round 9.

I had scored up to that point 5 points out of 8 picking up scalps such as Christopher Wallis (admittedly much lower rated then but still very formidable) and Andrew Whittick

http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2003/e0309fop/crosstable.htm

I am player number 56.

Given his fastidious and meticulous nature I'm quite sure he knew it was round 9; I doubt very very much that his listing it as round 1 was a "finger fehler".

Did he perhaps find my performance in the said event a little bit of an embarrassment in that it flies in the face of his pet Box Hill split swiss system?

Now I shouldn't expect anything to be done about this cynical piece of fact twisting?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Basil
29-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Eccles. He's a dribbler. Why bother? No-one else is worried.