PDA

View Full Version : Quality chess set?

santalum
10-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Good morning all, I am new to this forum, because of work and family commitments I have not played chess for many years but have always maintained an interest in the game, with retirement looming large on the horizon I am looking forward to playing again, golf during the day and chess in the evening sounds like a nice balance.
Which brings me to the title of this post, my wife would like to buy me a high quality full size set including board as a birthday gift, my preference is for Staunton pieces, would any members of this forum care to suggest a reputable supplier of chess supplies in Australia as well as brand names or manufacturers of quality sets.
Thanks in advance.

Bereaved
10-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi Santalum,

I would guess that either Brian Jones proprietor of Australian Chess Enterprises, or Peter Parr, proprietor of Chess Discount Sales might be the ones to look at the websites of.

The Urls are

www.chessaustralia.com.au

for Brian Jones

and

www.chessdiscountsales.com

for Peter Parr.

Both of these sites enable you to see pictures of most of their products

hope that this is of some help

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Igor_Goldenberg
10-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Which city or state are you in? There might be a chess shop nearby

santalum
10-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi Santalum,

I would guess that either Brian Jones proprietor of Australian Chess Enterprises, or Peter Parr, proprietor of Chess Discount Sales might be the ones to look at the websites of.

The Urls are

www.chessaustralia.com.au

for Brian Jones

and

www.chessdiscountsales.com

for Peter Parr.

Both of these sites enable you to see pictures of most of their products

hope that this is of some help

Take care and God Bless, Macavity
Thanks Macavity, will check them out.

santalum
10-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Which city or state are you in? There might be a chess shop nearby
Roxby Downs Igor, closest city is Adelaide 600 + Kilometres, mail order is no stranger to me.:D

Sunshine
10-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Roxby Downs Igor, closest city is Adelaide 600 + Kilometres, mail order is no stranger to me.:D

I take it you've played the grassless Cooper Pedy course a few times then ?

santalum
10-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I take it you've played the grassless Cooper Pedy course a few times then ?
Coober pedy about 300k north of us, have played the Roxby downs course many times, one big sand trap:rolleyes: with resident roos and emus, it's a pleasure to travel south and play on something green.

Sunshine
10-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Do they oil the sand at Roxby Downs as well ?

Cooper Pedy is a surreal experience for a golfer.

You must try it - 300 kms must be just over an hours drive for you.

santalum
10-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Do they oil the sand at Roxby Downs as well ?

Cooper Pedy is a surreal experience for a golfer.

You must try it - 300 kms must be just over an hours drive for you.
Been to Coober Pedy many times, don't think I want to play golf there, as for oiling the sand I guess you mean the scrapes/greens, a common practice at country courses in the bush, I imagine with the water situation in this country we may see scrapes in the cities some time in the future.
Umm 300kms would take me about 3hrs in the Falcon, maybe an hour by air.:)