Interesting selections announced today.

I reckon this team could really give the Youth Olympiad a shake:
Moulthun Ly
Raymond Song
Junta Ikeda
Zhigen Lin
Max Illingworth

- especially with Ian Rogers as coach.

It's interesting that Ray is doing that and the Asian under 20, but nothing else.

Jesse Jager
30-06-2007, 09:24 AM
I thought Raymond was no longer living in Australia?

Denis_Jessop
30-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Interesting selections announced today.

I reckon this team could really give the Youth Olympiad a shake:
Moulthun Ly
Raymond Song
Junta Ikeda
Zhigen Lin
Max Illingworth

- especially with Ian Rogers as coach.

It's interesting that Ray is doing that and the Asian under 20, but nothing else.

Jenni Oliver got the idea of putting together a top class team after our team last year did quite well but with few of the top-rated u16s. She felt as you do and I am sure that the team will put in a good performance. The pleasing thing is that we also received enough applications to enter a girls team and two extra teams. Last year we had only enough applicants for one complete team. The girls wanted to have a girls team although there is no girls division in the event and it could do quite well with Angela Song as board 1. My guess is that the venue (Singapore) was a reason for the big entry.

Regarding Alipasha's comment, my understanding is that the Songs went to China for two years. They still are registered with FIDE as Australian players.

DJ

pax
30-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Is there any indication as to whether Dusan Stojic intends to play both World u20 and u18? It would be great to see Gareth Oliver take his SIO form to the world stage..

Denis_Jessop
02-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Is there any indication as to whether Dusan Stojic intends to play both World u20 and u18? It would be great to see Gareth Oliver take his SIO form to the world stage..

I understand that Dusan has withdrawn from the World u20 because of exams. I am not sure if Gareth is able to go - he has a similar problem.

DJ