PDA

View Full Version : Appeal Committee

Chang
28-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi all,

Can a player in the tournament be elected as a member of the appeal commitee? According to FIDE handbook, the members are elected by players themself.

Thanks and regards.
Chang

Kevin Bonham
28-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Can a player in the tournament be elected as a member of the appeal commitee? According to FIDE handbook, the members are elected by players themself.

Yes it is quite common for an appeal committee to include players who are playing in a tournament - but naturally if a player is involved in the game under appeal, or affected significantly by the outcome of it, then they should ask to be replaced.

Capablanca-Fan
29-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Definitely; I've been a player and a member of an appeals committee a number of times. But a player must recuse himself if there is any conflict of interest. This obvious principle apparently does not apply to the judging of best game prizes at some olympiads (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=159013&postcount=64).

Basil
29-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Definitely; I've been a player and a member of an appeals committee a number of times...
Ditto. Carry on everybody; you're all doing very well.

Kevin Bonham
29-06-2007, 01:49 PM
This obvious principle apparently does not apply to the judging of best game prizes at some olympiads (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=159013&postcount=64).

I was in the curious position once of being a best game prize judge where one of the candidates (indeed the winner) was a positional crush played against me.

Ian Rout
29-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I have played in tournaments where an appeals committee was elected, but the most common system in my experience is to wait for an appeal and then the organisers find people to be on a committee.

At the Australian Championship in Brisbane last year the organisers established a pool of players for a committee, with the intention that if there was a need they would empanel three members of the pool who had finished their game and weren't involved, which I thought was a sensible arrangement. There were no appeals though.

Certainly there is no problem with players being on the committee.

Kevin Bonham
29-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I have played in tournaments where an appeals committee was elected, but the most common system in my experience is to wait for an appeal and then the organisers find people to be on a committee.

Yes. It often proves difficult to track down the members of the committee when an appeal is lodged if they have been specified in advance.

Denis_Jessop
29-06-2007, 09:27 PM

At the Australian Championship in Brisbane last year the organisers established a pool of players for a committee, with the intention that if there was a need they would empanel three members of the pool who had finished their game and weren't involved, which I thought was a sensible arrangement. There were no appeals though.

Certainly there is no problem with players being on the committee.

I agree. First, if players other than those involved in the matter were not allowed on an Appeals Committee, most clubs would find it hard to appoint a Committee. I, too, have used the ad hoc approach. Stewart Reuben also does the same and makes the interesting comment that, if you have a previously-appointed Appeals Committee and a dispute arises, there is often an exodus of Appeals Committee members from the playing venue.:rolleyes:

DJ