PDA

View Full Version : The Kings Of New York

Ged
11-06-2007, 03:59 PM
I recently acquired a copy of The Kings Of New York and was wondering if anyone else has got it and what they think of it.

I Liked it but I think it was a little short, I also think he focused on too many different stories which doesn't help when it is short.

I also think his use of diagrams was not very informative and just confusing.

edit: Just go and buy the book, or just pretend you've read it so you can reply to my thread

WhiteElephant
11-06-2007, 05:38 PM
I haven't read the book but here are the Amazon.com reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/1592402615/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/104-7807883-6061567?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books#customerReviews

I found the following extract from one of the reviews particularly amusing:

There are numerous howlers of errors in the text in regard to chess positions and moves, which won't bother casual readers but for those who do play chess, it just grates. An example is when describing a game, he writes that in response White's initial move of 1.c4, Black played "knight to f7".

Ged
11-06-2007, 05:50 PM
If i remember correctly he also got a bishop move wrong, he did screw up alot when talking about games, and it definately did grate. thx for the reply :)

MIW94
14-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Ged, thanks for picking up the book, and I hope you enjoyed it. I do apologize for any mistakes; I was not a chess player before I began this project, but I worked very hard to honor the game (since I hope this book serves as both an introduction and a tribute to the subculture of competitive chess) and to avoid any blatant mistakes. Obviously, in a couple of places, I failed at that, and am working to correct things for the paperback edition. In fact, I encourage you to e-mail me at my website, http://www.michaelweinreb.com (which also contains a lot more information about the book, along with a number of reviews from US and UK media outlets), with any specific errors, page numbers, etc.
Thanks again for reading.

Michael Weinreb
http://www.michaelweinreb.com

WhiteElephant
14-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Wow, that's impressive to have the author visit our little forum. Thanks for your comments, Michael.

Ged
14-06-2007, 03:32 PM
no way

WhiteElephant
14-06-2007, 04:47 PM
no way

Do you mean: 'no way! It's amazing that the writer is actually on the forum'

Or: 'No way, it's not really him.'

If it isn't really him, I don't see why anyone would bother to impersonate him and direct people to his website.

bergil
14-06-2007, 11:14 PM
no wayJub jub :P

Ged
15-06-2007, 12:10 PM
more of the first I just didn't expect that, but then again people do lurk the internet looking for opinions about there work.

jub jub smartarse :P

ER
20-06-2007, 05:32 AM
In my opinion the e-mail is very real! I believe writers as all other real artists would much better prefer an honest, straight forward, down to earth opinion such as Ged's about their work,rather than some sort of flattering, a..e licking, trendy artyfarty sort of pseudo-intellectual nonsense.
Cheers and good luck!

MIW94
21-06-2007, 03:45 AM
Sorry to cause any confusion; it really is me. No disguise here. We authors do tend to check the web on occasion (at times, obsessively) to see what's out there, which is what led me to this site. I appreciate the feedback, and am dedicated to getting the positions and diagrams in the book as correct as possible. So thanks again for allowing me to briefly intrude on the dialogue here.

Michael

billross
31-07-2007, 07:04 AM
I was quite surprised by this:

it documents the apparent decline of OTB adult chess presumably due to internet chess, eg the Manhattan Chess Club in NY no longer exists.

Also described is the huge development of scholastic chess supported mainly by individual philanthropists rather than the corporate world. This seems to have happened over several years with no obvious flow on of juniors to adult chess?

Great descriptions of scholastic tournaments - more realism than Searching for Bobby Fischer and Knights of the Bronx movies.

Certainly worth reading for those interested in development of chess.

Brian_Jones
31-07-2007, 08:46 AM
it documents the apparent decline of OTB adult chess presumably due to internet chess...Also described is the huge development of scholastic chess supported mainly by individual philanthropists rather than the corporate world. This seems to have happened over several years with no obvious flow on of juniors to adult chess?

This is exacty what is happening in Australia too.