PDA

View Full Version : cancelling a tournament

Mischa
24-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Hmm
Can you just cancel a tournament after it is finished?
This just happened so I am interested in responses.....
What criteria would you give to call a tournament concelled ..ie not ratable and prize money refunded?

eclectic
24-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Fiji Zonal cancelled?
:rolleyes:
Surely not!
:whistle:

;)

Basil
24-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Mish, a tournament can't be cancelled after it is complete, by definition. Clearly you are referring to an odd situation. Do you have any more information or can you be more specific?

MichaelBaron
25-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Hmm
What criteria would you give to call a tournament concelled ..ie not ratable and prize money refunded?

It is impossible to cancel any event (or any result) that has already taken place. How can you cancel the chocolates one has eaten already out of a tummy once the calories' limit has been overstepped :).

The prize money advertised will have to be paid out to the participants. As for getting the tourney rated...i remember some events being-advertised by the organisers as Fide-Rated some years ago..but half-way through the event..the organisers would change their minds. However, it was obviously a wrong thing to do. Prize money/tournament conditions advertised should always stand!

Bill Gletsos
25-05-2007, 01:04 AM
Hmm
What criteria would you give to call a tournament concelled ..ie not ratable and prize money refunded?If the event has been completed then clearly you cannot cancel it.

The real question here is why would one want to cancel an event that already hade been completed.

One reason would seem to be so that it wouldnt have to be rated.
Of course then one would have to ask why that would be the case.

Specifically what event are you referring to.

Capablanca-Fan
25-05-2007, 05:09 AM
It is impossible to cancel any event (or any result) that has already taken place. How can you cancel the chocolates one has eaten already out of a tummy once the calories' limit has been overstepped :).

So lettuce and alfalfa don't have anti-calories after all? ;)

The prize money advertised will have to be paid out to the participants. As for getting the tourney rated...i remember some events being-advertised by the organisers as Fide-Rated some years ago..but half-way through the event..the organisers would change their minds. However, it was obviously a wrong thing to do. Prize money/tournament conditions advertised should always stand!

Yes, the entry form is a sort of written contract which organizers must honour.

Mischa
25-05-2007, 08:11 AM
I have just heard that there may be a formal complaint made to CV or ACF so I had best not discuss details here ...YET!
Sorry guys will inform you of more details in a week or so.

Spiny Norman
25-05-2007, 08:47 AM
How can you cancel the chocolates one has eaten already out of a tummy once the calories' limit has been overstepped :).
You can have your cake ...

You can even have your cake and eat it too ... (contrary to the popular saying) ...

But you cannot have your cake, eat it, then have your cake again ... unless ... no, lets not go there ...

Dozy
25-05-2007, 09:16 AM

You can even have your cake and eat it too ... (contrary to the popular saying) ...

But you cannot have your cake, eat it, then have your cake again ... unless ... no, lets not go there ...Reminds me of this old chestnut found at http://www.welcomevillage.com/funstuff.htm:

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it immediately sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it.

It's been doing the rounds for a long time but originated with either Frank Muir or Denis Norden on their My Word radio show in the late 60s.

Incidentally, Frosty, and apropos that place you didn't want to go, the same page defines an "ignoranus" as somebody who is a stupid a/o.

Desmond
25-05-2007, 10:06 AM
It is impossible to cancel any event (or any result) that has already taken place.I agree with you Michael.

Some of my customers have different ideas :wall:

eclectic
25-05-2007, 10:22 AM
It is impossible to cancel any event (or any result) that has already taken place

Wasn't a certain Tournament of Heroes in Ukraine "cancelled" after it had "taken place"?

Ian Rout
25-05-2007, 10:25 AM
In general terms I agree with everybody else, I don't see how you can retrospectively cancel a tournament that's been played, though there's presumably something more to the story.

Rating it could be a more complex issue as it's not compulsory to rate tournaments, unless there is some authorised notice or flyer stating that it will be rated.

MichaelBaron
25-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Wasn't a certain Tournament of Heroes in Ukraine "cancelled" after it had "taken place"?

thats different. The tournament in Ukraine you were referring to was rigged so people could get their GM and IM norms. However, a genuine tournament can not be cancelled.

Denis_Jessop
25-05-2007, 03:29 PM

But you cannot have your cake, eat it, then have your cake again ... unless ... no, lets not go there ...

Or as an English judge once said in a contract law case regarding the right to reject goods "you cannot both eat your cake and return your cake"

DJ

Kevin Bonham
25-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I'd love to say something useful here but the history of previous mysterious question threads started by Mischa has made me a little bit gun-shy and really there's not enough detail to go on here anyway. That said this may all be genuinely irregular, who knows. Obviously there are many circumstances in which an event can be deemed unrateable after it has been completed (for instance if it was run at the wrong time control) but I'm not sure what Mischa means by refunding prize money - does this mean refunding entry money?

Maybe someone should PM me the gory details!

Bill Gletsos
30-05-2007, 08:47 PM
So Misha has this event been submitted for rating in this period or has it not yet been submitted for rating.