PDA

View Full Version : equal rights for neanderthals

Cat
15-05-2004, 10:53 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/genes/article/0,2763,1217434,00.html

PHAT
17-05-2004, 12:11 AM
We are not "born equil", but we all deserve a fair go. Our dodgy genes should be on the net - but so should all our police records, income tax records, and medical records. F*** privacy. We are all flawed - get over it. Just treat others with compassion that they earn. If they are too young to have earned any, give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have strayed off the topic. We all carry many thousands of different alelles (versions of genes). Publish the lot and we will see that we all are pretty prone to some or other affliction.

Lucena
17-05-2004, 12:14 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/genes/article/0,2763,1217434,00.html
I was under the impression that they had already passed such laws in the US.

Kevin Bonham
17-05-2004, 05:14 PM
If the technology exists it will sooner or later be used. These laws are charitably intentioned but also, I suspect, ultimately pretty futile. Give it long enough (a few decades for the price to come down) and applicants with "good genes" for a task at hand will be slipping genetic evidence in with their applications, possibly via the back door. Employers will know that those who don't have something to hide. (Insurers might raise their rates for everyone while offering hushed-up discounts to those with good records.) Preventing discrimination in hiring, esp. in the private sector, must be an uphill task at the best of times, except where one applicant is overwhelmingly superior to others.

Cat
19-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Data collection of this kind seriously threatens our freedoms. I don' know what laws exist in the USA but Big W is reversing legislation designed to protect freedoms, and has been accused of being 'Worse than Watergate' in terms of secrecy and control.

This kind of thing is insidious. Following the introduction of the Privacy Act many insurance companies were pressuring clients to obtain medical records through the legislation, which would have been unavailable to them otherwise. As in all things administrative the Privacy Act really means unprivacy act

The Australian Government is pressing to transfer all medical records into a central data base 'in the interests of improved patient care'. When have Government ever been interested in patient care? Even our most private information is set to become Government property, and yet where is the public debate about this? Where is the outrage, the media scrutiny? So complacent have we become we aren't even aware of our freedoms being stolen from under our noses.

PHAT
20-05-2004, 06:47 AM
When have Government ever been interested in patient care?

When the care will save money. :owned: I believe that pooling medical info will improve patient - clients, as government now call them :evil: - treatment and thus save money.

The Australian Government is pressing to transfer all medical records into a central data base 'in the interests of improved patient care'. ...Even our most private information is set to become Government property, and yet where is the public debate about this? Where is the outrage, the media scrutiny? So complacent have we become we aren't even aware of our freedoms being stolen from under our noses.

I cannot walk with you on this one. I do not think there should be any privacy for tax records, medical records, or criminal records. They should all be available to anyone. Privacy legislation is a shield used to coverup wrong doing.

I suppose I could some up my attitude as, "freedom from secracy."

Cat
20-05-2004, 08:40 AM
When the care will save money. :owned: I believe that pooling medical info will improve patient - clients, as government now call them :evil: - treatment and thus save money.

I cannot walk with you on this one. I do not think there should be any privacy for tax records, medical records, or criminal records. They should all be available to anyone. Privacy legislation is a shield used to coverup wrong doing.

I suppose I could some up my attitude as, "freedom from secracy."

I can understand your ideals Matt, but I suspect if we were that naked, the powerful would exploit the weak mercelessly. Individuals cannot usefully process this kind of information, whereas powerful organisations would always find ways hinding their dirty washing.