PDA

View Full Version : That's Not Cranky - This Is Cranky

Basil
11-05-2007, 11:48 PM
What's the crankiest you've ever been in a chess related incident?

Aronian? Firegoat? [Alex]? Meh!

At the BCC, last night, my opponent and I have two minutes each left on the clock +10 secs/ move. I'm black. It's her move.

Black is a piece up and threatening 33...Nf4 picking up the queen. I am super relaxed with a +4.5 position and dead won. Hah! I'm mated 4 moves later, but not without a little 'outside help'.

4r1k1/2p3q1/2p1P2p/3n4/1p1p3P/1P4P1/P1P1Q1K1/4R3 w - - 1 32

While she ponders her perilous and ominous and other words ending in 'ous position (is 'resignatious' a word?), the board next to us finishes its game and the chatter starts.

Being the gentleman I am, I alight from the board (so as not to disturb my opponent) and make the 2 steps to the source of the noise and ask the players to be quiet. They stare blinkingly at me and I wonder if I have made contact with any human life-form. I take my seat. She has moved. It's my turn.

Within moments (long before I can digest the new position), they're right back at it. {Insert some very bad feelings welling up inside}. My clock is ticking. I get up, lean on their table and quietly but in no uncertain terms advise them they have the best part of 5 seconds to be elsewhere. They take the hint.

I return to my table - well cranky - I mean well cranky. She's blundered and played 33.Rf1. Black is about to convert his knight advantage into a rook advantage with 33...Ne3+. The sum total of that position is asessed by Howard as 'very lovely, I'll take it' and by HIARCS as '+6'.

As all this comes into mind (about 5 secs since I have resumed my seat) and I am blunder-checking, what should happen but the board behind me opponent erupts in chatter at the conclusion of their game! Super.

FFS! I ask a spectator to summon the absent arbiter and wonder what the bloody hell is wrong with these people. On voicing my request (for them to shoosh), I am told myself to shoosh (by Garvin, no less)! This can't be *&^*&% happening!

Back to my +4.5 position which is soon to be a +6 position. "Damn I'm an angry boy - I must have a pleasant chat with these people in about 4 minutes or so."

Lost in this world of pain and suddenly coming to, I play the nebulus 33...Re7. Doh! Damn those people. Oh well, settle for +4.5 again. The festering increases. The concentration on the game decreases. But blind freddy could still win from here, right?

My opponent now sees the fork which is still on and grabs her rook and she hovers over g1 {no, she thinks, that drops the queen. Rf5? No, that drops the rook. She slams it down on f7.

My turn. I'm still +4.5. Can you guess? Oh no you can't! The table behind me fires up a glorious and engrossing discussion about their game! If I say anything, that's 6 people in 90 seconds, and two of them twice (8 all up). I say something. It's not polite. 'Apoplectic' would be a good word to use here.

In 8 years of attending a club on a weekly basis and many tournaments, I have never seen anything like it. I've seen annoying chatters and others. I've seen repeat offenders. I have never seen a rolling pincer movement of such combined and ill-timed proportions.

6k1/2p1rRq1/2p1P2p/3n4/1p1p3P/1P4P1/P1P1Q1K1/8 b - - 4 34

34...Rxf7 35.exf7+ and fuming. Really really really really quite wishing to talk with these people.

Should I take with the King or the Queen? Either retains my +4 which should have been a +6, 2 minutes ago.

To cap off a stunning miniature in time, I play Kf8 and allow mate in 1! :clap:

Good work all round. What followed next is not printable. I feel much better today ;)

Basil
11-05-2007, 11:48 PM
I almost forgot. Anyone else care to share a time when they were really quite upset indeed? ;)
EDIT: Yes, I should learn better self-control. But seriously ...

WhiteElephant
12-05-2007, 01:34 AM
I tell people like that to STFU very loudly. Usually everyone will glare at them and they skulk off in embarrassment.

Desmond
12-05-2007, 09:42 AM
...Kf8 ouch!

I sympathise Howard. These little occurences always seem to happen when one has a sharp game with no time to think. Interruptions are very unfortunate.

Garvinator
12-05-2007, 06:05 PM
I tell people like that to STFU very loudly. Usually everyone will glare at them and they skulk off in embarrassment.
Do you actually say the long form of STFU in the playing area ;)

bergil
12-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Do you actually say the long form of STFU in the playing area ;)Depends on how much time he has left on the clock. :P

ER
12-05-2007, 08:21 PM
What followed next is not printable. I feel much better today ;)

Howie, your reaction was correct and I would understand and justify it even if it was expressed in a harsher form. The situation you had to face is clearly unacceptable! Under no circumstances should players be treated in that irresponsible manner, which shows no respect for the fellow player and for the game itself. The people who behaved that way should be promptly ejected from the playing area.
In a civilised Chess playing venue such as the Box Hill - Canterbury Juniors CC, misbehaving people are promptly brought back to their senses even for much less offensive manners!
Cheers and good luck!

Capablanca-Fan
12-05-2007, 09:39 PM
This is no way to treat any player, let alone a former president.

Kevin Bonham
12-05-2007, 09:47 PM
FFS! I ask a spectator to summon the absent arbiter and wonder what the bloody hell is wrong with these people. On voicing my request (for them to shoosh), I am told myself to shoosh (by Garvin, no less)! This can't be *&^*&% happening!

This is probably the point (where multiple distractions are really affecting your concentration) when it is time to stop your own clock in order to go and seek the arbiter's assistance yourself, which the Laws entitle you to do.

Basil
13-05-2007, 12:37 AM
This is probably the point (where multiple distractions are really affecting your concentration) when it is time to stop your own clock in order to go and seek the arbiter's assistance yourself, which the Laws entitle you to do.
I must remember this. I think you may have told me similar before.

littlesprout85
13-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow -

Sprouty is in Aw of the HDs progress in recent tourney and must commend him on the sucessful victories. Well played :clap:

Somewhere the sprout thought he saw something aout HD's being a former Prez (IMFAO) and Again must show Props to HD's on these higher standings of merit & hard work.

Ermmmm- Seeing here That HDs is now sportin the Gunner Logo - IMFAO !!!!!!

-Sprout :)

Basil
13-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Sprouty is in Aw of the HDs progress in recent tourney and must commend him on the sucessful victories. Well played :clap:
Thank you. I am currently .5/2 on account of

a) not fronting, and
b) sitting on a psychological whoopee-cushion

Somewhere the sprout thought he saw something about HD's being a former Prez (IMFAO)
And what a glorious sight to behold it was! Queensland was blessed.

Sunshine
14-05-2007, 10:26 AM
That game could be turned into a fable or perhaps even a pantomine.

It is a highly entertaining account - I'm assuming the Kf1 was played, ironically, to avoid a couple of checks.

It looks like the preoccupation with "taking out the garbage" brought you unstuck.

Basil
14-05-2007, 04:42 PM
It looks like the preoccupation with "taking out the garbage" brought you unstuck.
I'll absolutely pay that. You are a wise and observant man. The lessons from which I hope will stick. Getting the balance right seems to be the order of the day.

Axiom
14-05-2007, 09:44 PM
..if i may be excused a hearty laugh at this juncture :lol:

Basil
15-05-2007, 01:56 AM
..if i may be excused a hearty laugh at this juncture :lol:
Of course. Anyone else been wound up and care to share?

Garrett
15-05-2007, 06:59 AM
The most I have been wound up is when I blew a straightforward draw against an IM a few weeks ago. I was really cranky with myself but my brain explosion didn't have anything to do with any outside party.

If I had been in Stoksey's shoes the other day I would have been tempted to throw a tanty though.

Cheers
George.

Garrett
15-05-2007, 08:11 AM
How quickly we can forget.

I can remember trying to play in a FIDE rated tournament in the same room as, and a few metres from, a lightning tournament last year.

I can distinctly remember being not too impressed with that.

antichrist
12-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Young James MOrris was pretty cranky the other day about Leonid Sandlier slamming his pieces down that greatly distracted him. So James left the comp.

Then the next comp someone walked out on James game about a claimed touch move violation, which followed a noisy phone incident involving the same players a year or two beforehand.