PDA

View Full Version : How many chess sets do you own?

Kevin Bonham
11-05-2007, 01:48 AM
Just curious about to what extent other players accumulate sets. During my current attempt to clean my house (this happens rarely and with a maximum of procrastination, like this post) I found that I currently have nine, none of which is a tournament sized set -

* The remains of an old CXG model chess computer, which could play at about 1400 strength taking between 2 and 6 minutes to do so on its second highest level. (It had a higher level but that was interminably slow and not much stronger.) It was my first chess computer purchased when I was fifteen. It no longer works since a couple of the contacts stopped working meaning that any move from a1 or a2 will not register, but it is my favourite analysis board and I often take it to tournaments and prepare openings on it.

* A hanging demo board used for coaching.

* A rather plain wood and plastic non-foldup set formerly owned by a former partner's flatmate, who bought it so I could teach her how to play chess (payment in free dinners). This I did (with some success) but when she moved out she was going to throw it away because she couldn't be bothered packing it. I kept it and have sometimes found it useful as a spare for junior lessons etc.

* A foldup magnetic set that I had at school. In common with several others from the period the edges are heavily reinforced with sticky tape to guard against my common habit at the time of dropping the sets, which could cause pieces to fly everywhere. (I also did this with calculators, destroying seven in high school alone. At least in my day they did not have laptops.)

* A rather strange ornamental set in a box that was given to me by some friends when they moved interstate a long time ago. I've never found the slightest use for it but have kept it (either because it was a gift or because I've been too lazy to get rid of it; I'll probably find out which next time I move!)

* A cheap wooden pocket set bought for me as a gift by another friend, probably from a Community Aid Abroad shop or similar. One of the pegs is busted so only used a few times.

* Two Purdy Twin correspondence sets, given to me by David Christian during the Australasian Internet Chess Challenge. Sometimes use these for keeping track of CC games here, like my mini-matches with Axiom.

* One small magnetic pocket set which I use sometimes.

bergil
11-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Kevin, could you please change my vote. I thought I only had three but now that I think about it I've got 5. :hmm:

A glass set :doh:
A wood set
A small magnetic set
A plastic tournament sized set
A Indian ceramic set with elephants as rooks and the like.

Bereaved
11-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Hi Kevin,

I really don't know how many sets I have probably well in excess of 50....do you want to put in some bigger poll options as 20+ is not that large a number and I would not at all be surprised if many others fit into the basket of well more than 20...just a hunch.

Going to start a parallel thread in a sec, you will understand when you see it

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Rincewind
11-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Kevin, could you please change my vote. I thought I only had three but now that I think about it I've got 5. :hmm:

A glass set :doh:
A wood set
A small magnetic set
A plastic tournament sized set
A Indian ceramic set with elephants as rooks and the like.

I did the same thing!

I decreased the 2-4 option by 2 and added 2 to the next one to account for bergil and my misvote.

I've got a few old plastic sets one in the shape of medieval people. Then I have a good wooden set from The House of Staunton. It's their Rekjavic'72 set and I also have a metal set in the shape of characters from the Lord of the Rings. That set dates from 1986.

If I looked I might also be able to find a travel set or two include one that came with a travel chess computer.

Southpaw Jim
11-05-2007, 10:32 AM
A foldup magnetic travel set I was given for Xmas at age 7
A small peg type travel set I bought for using at work
A smallish (~1/4 tournament size) set bought for use in cafes etc from the Oxfam shop
My grandfather's pieces, at least 60 years old, made from ebony and (I think) boxwood, with a board made from Tasmanian timbers (sassafras and myrtle I think) that I bought from the local markets (Salamanca).

Spiny Norman
11-05-2007, 10:59 AM
- an old wooden set I got when I was a child (~35 years ago)
- a plastic travel set
- a Simpsons novelty set

I'm not counting my PDA which I play on a lot (runs PocketGrandmaster)

Basil
11-05-2007, 11:15 AM
-- A beautiful full-sized triple weighted set as a present a few years ago
-- A mad crystal fantasy full-sized job that my dad bought from a marketing company and then had to hide from mum!
-- A couple of others (remnants of a magnetic job incl.)

Used to be in the 10+ bracket after I sold a café which was also a chess café, but I have fairly well eradicated that plague now ;)

WhiteElephant
11-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Kevin,

I really don't know how many sets I have probably well in excess of 50....do you want to put in some bigger poll options as 20+ is not that large a number and I would not at all be surprised if many others fit into the basket of well more than 20...just a hunch.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

50+ for me as well. And I am not gong to describe them!

Desmond
11-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Amoung my collection:

Star Wars: A New Hope
LOTR: The Two Towers
A rather nice set of small stones with pewter pieces worked ito the top. Snakes v Spiders.

Quote a few others. Have been meaning to get a display cabinet for them ...

Garrett
11-05-2007, 12:21 PM
-- A beautiful full-sized triple weighted set as a present a few years ago
-- A mad crystal fantasy full-sized job that my dad bought from a marketing company and then had to hide from mum!
-- A couple of others (remnants of a magnetic job incl.)

Used to be in the 10+ bracket after I sold a café which was also a chess café, but I have fairly well eradicated that plague now ;)

and I bet you've painted a big red cross on the square g5 on all the sets too.

zigzag
11-05-2007, 01:07 PM
I feel like a chess pauper only owning one set,which is plastic but tournament size.:lol:

likesforests
11-05-2007, 03:06 PM
+ A cheap wooden set I bought.
+ A very nice House of Staunton set I received as a gift.
http://www.houseofstaunton.com/HOS/Reykjavik/ReykjavikSEVinx.jpg

Kevin Bonham
11-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi Kevin,

Looks like so far there are only two for 20+ who are both over 50 so I think I'll leave it as is. I should add a caveat that people who own sets as shop stock that they intend selling should exclude those. I suspect Brian Jones must own a hell of a lot of chess sets if those are counted!

It seems not to be up but I've seen the versions you tried to post and deleted. I do recommend posting it, I think it will get a good response.

Oepty
14-05-2007, 03:46 PM
I own 3 sets, although I would be hard pressed to put my hands on one of the sets, a small magnetic set that I have never really used.
Scott

Watto
14-05-2007, 04:26 PM
I have only ever owned one set… which I placed on top of the rubbish last year hoping someone would take it! (a very unsatisfying magnetic pocket set I’d bought for under $10).

But as a household, we own 5: 1 attractive, large wooden, 1 large plastic tournament style, 1 Simpsons, 1 decorative and a lovely 30 year old magnetic one which has done a lot of travelling in its lifetime. We lost it in NZ last year and were very happy to reclaim it at the same café a few days later, after a couple of anxious phone calls.

Brian_Jones
14-05-2007, 04:52 PM
I should add a caveat that people who own sets as shop stock that they intend selling should exclude those. I suspect Brian Jones must own a hell of a lot of chess sets if those are counted!

I will abstain.

At the last count I owned 57,929 chess sets. ;)

littlesprout85
14-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Right onz !!!! finally a good solid chess question to ask the masters here at chesschats :rolleyes:

Sprout only has one regular sized/glass chessboard at the present time. This board was a christmas gift a few years ago.

Hopefully one day will have a regular chess and checker set on cardboard. Really would like a magnet small chess/backgamon set for travel.

-Sprout :)

ER
14-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Every time I think about my chess sets over the years, two unfortunate incidents return to my mind...
First. my stupid first ex-wife destroyed a lovely wooden board and most of the Staunton style wooden pieces I had bought from Peter Parr's years ago! My second (ex)wife (hi Sophia I still love you) was actually a good chess player but her Astrophysics Master's studies at the University of NSW did not allowed her to play more.
Actually, she bought me a lovely magnetic chess set, (those Longines ones if you remember) also from Peter Parr. This I cherished till I left it en prise one day on a table during a social function and some kids put its flat magnetic pieces on the tram rails obviously to make them even flatter. That was around 1985 in Carlton, not far from where the Melbourne Chess Club is now. Since, I only have one magnetic set bought from Victoria Market from a guy who was selling things imported from Russia. I often saw him at the Elwood Chess Club when I used to go there. Apart from that I only use computer screens and that's only when I am home because I am not allowed to use Chess software at work.
Cheers and good luck!

peter_parr
16-05-2007, 11:36 AM

Is that all?

ER
16-05-2007, 09:39 PM
By the way, any of those (Magnetic Longines) sets still on sale, Peter or Brian?
Cheers and good luck!

pax
16-05-2007, 10:08 PM

Sorry to hear business is so bad :)

peter_parr
17-05-2007, 01:25 PM
By the way, any of those (Magnetic Longines) sets still on sale, Peter or Brian?
Cheers and good luck!

I imported these from Norway – excellent sets – sold out.
My sets have a very high turnover – supplier died – nothing similar at present.