PDA

View Full Version : Making an illegal move in Blitz and Rapid

Chang
09-05-2007, 02:48 AM
Hi,

Can anyone explain the difference between these 2 rules, the first one is B6 in Rapid rule and the second is C3 in Blitz rule? As I understand, in rapid game, making an illegal move is not considered as a loss as in Blitz. Am I correct?

B6 (Rapid)
An illegal move is completed once the opponent’s clock has been started. The opponent is then entitled to claim that the player completed an illegal move before the claimant has made his move. Only after such a claim, shall the arbiter make a ruling. However, if both Kings are in check or the promotion of a pawn is not completed, the arbiter shall intervene, if possible.

C3 (Blitz)
An illegal move is completed once the opponent’s clock has been started. The opponent is entitled to claim a win before he has made his own move. However, if the opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal moves with the most unskilled counterplay, then the claimant is entitled to claim a draw before he
has made his own move. Once the opponent has made his own move, an illegal move cannot be corrected

My best,
Chang

Rincewind
09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Can anyone explain the difference between these 2 rules, the first one is B6 in Rapid rule and the second is C3 in Blitz rule? As I understand, in rapid game, making an illegal move is not considered as a loss as in Blitz. Am I correct?

That is correct. In chess an illegal move generally means you rewind the game to the position where the irregularity occurred, the illegal move is corrected and then play continues from there.

In rapid, this is generally not possible to rewind more than 1 move as the score is usually not available. Therefore the illegal moves which are corrected are ones that have just occurred. The rule points out there are particular cases when an arbiter should intervene without a claim.

The classical/rapid penalty for making an illegal move is the opponent get an additional 2 minutes thinking time for the first two offences. After the third illegal move by one player in a single game, the arbiter should declare the game won to to the opponent (providing a legal sequences of moves leading to mate exist).

In Blitz the game is won by the opponent who claims even on the first offense providing a legal sequence of moves leading to mate exist, otherwise it is drawn.

Hope this helps explain it.