PDA

View Full Version : Mac Honour Roll

Pages : 1 [2]

pappubahry
02-05-2009, 09:59 PM
I have to use a Mac at work. Most of the time it is OK. But one day I made the mistake of learning AppleScript when I saw that the latest version of Mac Office didn't come with Visual Basic. Now, I'm sure I was writing pretty shoddy inefficient code. But, I don't expect it to take a quarter of a second to read the numbers in two cells in Excel, add them, and display the result in a third cell. It would have taken about two days to run the full program on my large dataset, as compared to a few seconds that it would have with VB.

Bill Gletsos
02-05-2009, 11:09 PM
And let's assume the business is.. a bank. Serious business.Go into any RTA (Roads & Traffic Authority) branch here in NSW and they are all using Macs.

Basil
03-05-2009, 04:27 AM
And let's assume the business is.. a bank. Serious business.
I missed this before. What is a 'serious' business (as opposed a non-serious one)? :eek:

ER
03-05-2009, 05:20 AM
I missed this before. What is a 'serious' business (as opposed a non-serious one)? :eek:
As Miranda suggests, a bank is serious business!!! Can you imagine any other "business" that you 'd trust to save your money with?

Rincewind
03-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Go into any RTA (Roads & Traffic Authority) branch here in NSW and they are all using Macs.

While banks do seem to be a law unto themselves they are not literally so. The RTA don't have one concern that most business do: Competition.

Denis_Jessop
03-05-2009, 05:32 PM
And let's assume the business is.. a bank. Serious business.

If a bank is a serious business why do we say "laughing all the way to the bank"? :hmm:

DJ

Basil
03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
As Miranda suggests, a bank is serious business!!! Can you imagine any other "business" that you 'd trust to save your money with?
But isn't all business serious? I'm looking for a point of delineation. Miranda?

Miranda
03-05-2009, 08:08 PM
OK, I define serious business as.. banking, finance, things like that. Businesses where number-crunching skills are needed more than creativity.

Bill Gletsos
03-05-2009, 08:29 PM
OK, I define serious business as.. banking, finance, things like that. Businesses where number-crunching skills are needed more than creativity.If extremely high reliability and number-crunching skills are your criteria then you dont use PC's running Mircrosoft operating systems.

Instead think "mainframes" running real operating systems.

Basil
03-05-2009, 08:35 PM
OK, I define serious business as.. banking, finance, things like that. Businesses where number-crunching skills are needed more than creativity.

Assuming your delineation is good (which I don't think it is), let's put the finance sector to one side. What about David Jones? Is that serious business? What about Pizza Hut? Is that serious business? What about ship builders? Is that serious business? What about television? Is Channel Seven serious business? What about QANTAS? Is the airline business serious business?

The first question in our annual reviews is 'what business are we in?'. The answer is selling advertising space. I put this at the top to remind everyone to avoid the pitfall that I think you're falling into. Over the years I've had staff believe that we were in the business of
- writing good stories
- covering cool nightclubs
- producing excellent front covers

Selling advertsing is difficult. As is selling insurance. You don't get anything in your hands!

You might be surprised to learn that banks are in the business of selling money. Much easier!

Regardless of ease though, whether companies are in the business of selling money, advertising space, motor vehicles or outdoor furniture, it is all difficult and all very serious.

Serious business? You might be surprised to learn that in some years I earn more than the Prime Minister and in other I earn less than Alana at Maccas. And unlike the banks* and the PM, I can lose it all.

Evey Friday is 'casual day' at my bank (Bank Queensland) and the staff (including my bank manager) wear casual gear. Is his business any less serious on Friday than it was in Thursday?

Finally (for now), banks operating in an oligopoly have it much easier than Joe or Mary Suburb starting up his/ her own business.

The underlying point Miranda is that business is serious, regardless of what product they're selling. If some businesses sell a product that has a creative process within, it is no less serious than something as boring (and relatively easy!!) as banking - especially when it comes to paying wages, taxes, rent, court cases, competition and so forth.

-------------------

If you're specifically talking about processing data (and not industry product), then refer Bill's answer above.

*Actually some bankers are so stupid and irresponsible they have lost it all.

Desmond
04-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I assume Miranda is more referring to the business' culture, which I think you will agree can be serious, or casual, etc. The PC guy in the suit would be suited to such culture, the 'cool guy' in his ripped jeans - maybe not so much.

Basil
04-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I assume Miranda is more referring to the business' culture
I don't think so. I think she was prejudiced as who was geared [/pun] better for business. Her original question was fairly succinct - 'Which of these two would you employ'? Then gace her own bias conclusion with 'Exactly'.

arosar
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM
You know those recent "Laptop Hunter" ads from MSFT that got all these Mac fan boys going nuts?

Well, it looks like the ads may have been made with Macs!

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/laptophunter/

AR

Basil
07-05-2009, 05:40 PM
:owned:

Hobbes
14-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Got an iPhone today. Does that count? :lol:

Miranda
14-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Congratulations!

I realised today that my school diary has an iPod touch sticker on the back, and an Apple (as in the logo) sticker on the front.

I have also found myself thinking that my Windows has crashed one too many times.

Therefore, I have concluded that all Mac users have been brainwashed by their advertising.

Basil
15-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Baz asked the same question. Nope. An iPhone ain't a mac. It does show remarkably good taste though.

I have also found myself thinking that my Windows has crashed one too many times.

Therefore, I have concluded that all Mac users have been brainwashed by their advertising.
:wall:
I was 'into' macs long before I was exposed to any mac advertising. And I'm being vindicated long after the ads have stopped.

kjenhager
15-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Excuse my ignorance , but what exactly are the material advantages of a Mac over a PC ?

Basil
15-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Excuse my ignorance , but what exactly are the material advantages of a Mac over a PC ?
Do you believe you really have an ignorance and you want to hear for the first time; or is rather that you've think you've probably heard them and rejected them - and really just setting up for a point:counter-point job?

If the latter, there are other threads to fight the PC v Mac thing. If the former, well just say the word.

Rincewind
15-05-2009, 11:07 AM

I think Mac probably have a superior architecture but miss the boat in market share and cost effective stakes.

In other words, Macs are the Betamax of the computer world.

Perhaps we should call them βmacs. :D

kjenhager
15-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Do you believe you really have an ignorance and you want to hear for the first time; or is rather that you've think you've probably heard them and rejected them - and really just setting up for a point:counter-point job?

If the latter, there are other threads to fight the PC v Mac thing. If the former, well just say the word.
The former.
Ive only heard vague 'user friendliness' as a difference , that's about it .

Basil
26-05-2009, 01:28 PM
[26-05-2009 01:22 PM] Gunner Duggan: Have just seen a Windoze ad - "your stuff, your life, one place" Talk about barf material. After years of poking fun at apple for it's "useless" iLife series, the plonkers, the reprobates, the single company that has done more to retard computing on this planet now launches a dagwood dog copy cat - brilliant.
[26-05-2009 01:23 PM] Gunner Duggan: now all the mirandas can s.l.o.w.l.y, very slowly mind, wake up and say hey this ain't so bad ... and so the cycle continues
[26-05-2009 01:24 PM] Gunner Duggan: bungling from one knock-off to another - all the while convinced that PC plonk is a superior to mac
[26-05-2009 01:24 PM] Trent Parker: Have you seen the movie Antitrust Gunner?
[26-05-2009 01:24 PM] Gunner Duggan: no i haven't trent
[26-05-2009 01:25 PM] Gunner Duggan: haven't even heard of it
[26-05-2009 01:25 PM] Trent Parker: your ramblings reminded me of that movie.

Hobbes
27-07-2009, 04:54 PM
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/07/iphone-encryption/

:lol:

Desmond
27-07-2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/07/iphone-encryption/

:lol:Hardly surprising from a consumer device. I doubt too many businesses would seriously consider that encryption to be worth anything.

Miranda
27-07-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/92605,32-reasons-why-pcs-are-better-than-macs.aspx

Posted this on another thread, thought it would fit here nicely too ;)

Southpaw Jim
16-08-2009, 10:44 PM
^^^ you must be joking. Hopelessly inaccurate and 2 years out of date in any case.

Regret to inform the troops that I've temporarily left the fold, due to an unfortunate incident involving a dog, a glass of wine and the Macbook Pro :( <cries>

Have been relegated to a $600 eeePC netbook while we wait for our "insurance issues" (don't ask) to sort themselves out. Must say, for what it is, the netbook PC is cute and nifty. However, Windoze Wireless doesn't seem to place nicely with my wireless network, quelle surprise. Oh for the days when things "just worked". Some problem with WEP/WPA security it seems.

I miss my OSX and Quicksilver :cry: :cry: And 15" screen.

Southpaw Jim
24-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Gunner will find this absolutely hysterical! (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103247)

And perhaps a few others will too :)

Basil
30-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Just tuned into that that great marker of Australian society - Hey Hey. Blonde side-kick reading e-mails from a mac.

Carry on!

Come on people. It only seems kinky the first time. Time for cringing is over. Mac-knocking is out. It's as yesterday as that damn stupid PC / Windoze / piece of poop you've been defending for a decade. The fact that Seinfeld and Duggan were a goo decade ahead of you is nothing most us haven't known for a long time anyway. Let's go! Chop chop.

Basil
02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Just tuned into that that great marker of Australian society - Hey Hey. Blonde side-kick reading e-mails from a mac.
Lat night the WILL.I.AM ripped out a cross-genre DJ set in the middle of the gig at the BEC. On a mac. Shizzle.

Windoze. LMFAO. Trade it in fools.

Basil
23-10-2009, 10:46 PM
word from SWAMBO that Apple is being sued by Nokia.

Garvinator
23-10-2009, 11:21 PM
word from SWAMBO that Apple is being sued by Nokia.
http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=879245

Bill Gletsos
05-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I know Windows is awful. Everyone knows Windows is awful. Windows is like the faint smell of piss in a subway: it's there, and there's nothing you can do about it.
The above is from the article 'Better the broken Windows than life with the Mac monks' here (http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/better-the-broken-windows-than-life-with-the-mac-monks-20091103-huew.html).

Desmond
05-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Classic :lol:

Basil
05-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Magic! If you can get this writer to sign up to Chess Chat, he can have a Golden Lifetime HADBBA.

Adamski
07-11-2009, 05:48 PM
: Have you seen the movie Antitrust Gunner?
[26-05-2009 01:24 PM] Gunner Duggan: no i haven't trent
[26-05-2009 01:25 PM] Gunner Duggan: haven't even heard of it
[26-05-2009 01:25 PM] Trent Parker: your ramblings reminded me of that movie.It is avery good movie. The bad guys are a take-off of Microsoft. It's an IT movie, with murders and excitement, and about little guys competing with the big bully company. You'd enjoy it, Gunner.

Adamski
07-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Regret to inform the troops that I've temporarily left the fold, due to an unfortunate incident involving a dog, a glass of wine and the Macbook Pro :( <cries>

Have been relegated to a $600 eeePC netbook while we wait for our "insurance issues" (don't ask) to sort themselves out. Must say, for what it is, the netbook PC is cute and nifty. However, Windoze Wireless doesn't seem to place nicely with my wireless network, quelle surprise. Oh for the days when things "just worked". Some problem with WEP/WPA security it seems.

I miss my OSX and Quicksilver :cry: :cry: And 15" screen.I have one of those eeePC netbooks. They are cool. Love the truly "lap" size.

Basil
22-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Epic Microsoft Fail (http://www.epicfail.com/2009/06/04/microsoft-double-fail/) Sweet! :D

Desmond
23-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Epic Microsoft Fail (http://www.epicfail.com/2009/06/04/microsoft-double-fail/) Sweet! :D
Guess you didn't read the comments. Just liked the pretty pictures. How typical of a Mac user.

actually i was at this meeting and guess what the fail is with you all… they used the mac to point out its failings against Their “superior” operations systems and the improvements they made so the mac was there as an example.

Basil
23-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Guess you didn't read the comments. Just liked the pretty pictures. How typical of a Mac user.

actually i was at this meeting and guess what the fail is with you all… they used the mac to point out its failings against Their “superior” operations systems and the improvements they made so the mac was there as an example.
What sort of half-arsed post is that?

Who was at the meeting?
Who are you quoting?
Is the quote from the linked page?
Where?
How obvious?
The headline proclaims 'Double Microsoft Fail'
Is the second fail (the typo) also Apple's?

Have another go and don't on your cornflakes this time.

Desmond
23-11-2009, 09:43 AM
What sort of half-arsed post is that?In the spirit of your link.

Try reading the comments below the picture. They're good for a laugh. George was my fav but perhaps a bit unsavoury to repeat here.

Basil
23-11-2009, 09:44 AM
In the spirit of your link.

Try reading the comments below the picture. They're good for a laugh. George was my fav but perhaps a bit unsavoury to repeat here.
I see. Now how about that epic fail, eh? :lol:

Swathe
07-01-2010, 08:12 AM
New member and a Mac/linux user here :D

Saragossa
08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Welcome Aboard The Win Boat!

Basil
08-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Honour Board

Duggan, Howard (Gunner)
Gletsos, William
Jessop, Denis
Renzies, Elliott (Heavyknight)
Southpaw Jim
Sleepless
Mephistopheles
bgriffenchop
Saragossa
PHAT
Swathe

Swathe
08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Yay I made the honour board for something lol

Santa
10-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Again maybe. Have you provided any evidence to this? Again it doesn't really affect me, as I don't cycle my computers often enough for resale to play any significant factor. You may be underestimating the resale value of a second hand PC though - there is a decent market for obsolete PC parts and sometimes old memory etc can be worth quite a significant proportion of it's original value.

Anyway, each to his own. I am still trying to find an excuse to buy a Mac Mini :)

I appreciate this has aged a little:)

Until this Ruddy government gave us new computers, I used to buy our school's computers at auction, generally for somewhat less the $200, and once or twice around $50.

The Macs' at auction fetched outrageous bids, even the sluggardly G4s were going for hundreds.

So, I agree the macs have better resale value.

Santa
10-01-2010, 02:02 AM
PS Even as I speak, I find that Camino 1.5 was released on 5 June though just how much better it is I don't know yet. It claims to do all sorts of things but they don't seem to include better bookmark management.

I've tried Camino recently. Went back to Firefox which has a few addons I'm keen on, and Camino doesn't. I also regularly use Seamonkey.

Santa
10-01-2010, 02:21 AM
A Mac is a Unix system (a real Unix[R] system and not a toy for students, tinkerers and hobbyists such as GNU/Linux) and, as a result, the user can get their hands incredibly dirty in terms of fooling around with the innards of the OS.

These are fairly serious toys:
http://www.top500.org/stats/list/34/osfam

And then there are folk such as Boeing who run Linux on their very expensive IBM mainframes.

Swathe
10-01-2010, 08:14 AM
To call Linux a mere toy is terribly innacurate. OS X stability is borne of it's development for a closed hardware platform. Linux runs on just about anything and is incredibly powerful. Linux also has quite a powerful preference in the enterprise computing envrionment (which I work in) and I doubt Apple will ever gain and significant ground in this area. Linux is extrememly powerful but the GPL(Gnu Public License) it is released under allows anyone to make changes and submit fixes for bug or to make improvements. I use Snow Leopard on my desk top and Macbook Pro and while I am becoming quite attached to it, I am yet to see any real evidence to suggest that it is way more powerful than Linux.

Desmond
10-01-2010, 09:43 AM
That reminds me, the IBM XIV (http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/disk/xiv/index.html) storage system management interface is supported on Mac. ;)

Santa
18-01-2010, 12:52 AM
That reminds me, the IBM XIV (http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/disk/xiv/index.html) storage system management interface is supported on Mac. ;)

It might run AIX, but I think more likely Linux. And I don't think your average Mac user could afford one!

Desmond
18-01-2010, 08:17 AM
It might run AIX, but I think more likely Linux. And I don't think your average Mac user could afford one!
Yes true, it's enterprise class storage. :)

Southpaw Jim
11-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Our Mac family has doubled, just acquired a 27" i5 (quadcore) iMac, so the wife can use the MBP for Uni :D

I like it.

Basil
11-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Our Mac family has doubled, just acquired a 27" i5 (quadcore) iMac, so the wife can use the MBP for Uni :D

I like it.
I like it too. Sadly I can't add Mrs Jim to the list until she posts here;)

Southpaw Jim
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Oh, shoot. I was hoping I might get a double entry in my name, but I guess that wouldn't be by the book.

Space_Dude
19-03-2010, 08:24 AM
what's something mac can do that microsoft or linux can't do??

Desmond
19-03-2010, 09:43 AM
It's really more about how they operate rather than what they do (although features do vary a bit).

Basil
19-03-2010, 09:45 AM
These days, not much. It's more of a case of how they do it and how long they do it. I don't intend on engaging in a monster debate but after twenty years, we have millions of people who loathe their (Microsoft-driven) PC and millions who love their mac.

arosar
23-03-2010, 05:26 PM
I was seriously considering a MacBook Pro when I suddenly pointed my eyes at a Sony Vaio F-series (http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/subcategory/notebooks/performance/f-series). I was, like, FMD!

AR

Basil
25-03-2010, 08:08 PM
The Matty Johns Footy Show is on (in the background!). The laptop on set is a mac. WTF? What happened to belching, meat pies, six packs and bogans?

Basil
02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
It's been a while a while since I visited (http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/) :D

arosar
06-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Are you having problems with your iPad wifi signal? Here's Apple's solution: "move closer to the Wi-Fi router" (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3237).

ROTFL!!

AR

Desmond
08-06-2010, 07:49 PM
VPB_kach5Lk

hylHrudxDdk&NR

Santa
09-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcjLEwZqcQI

Igor_Goldenberg
09-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I used to think that Bill Gates is marketing genius, but now I realise that Steve Jobs is much better.

Apart from using clever marketing Apple also designs aesthetically looking hardware, especially their slim range.

So far I bought HTC Touch HD (which has similar design to Iphone, but works better), seriously considering MSI XSlim (which is similar to MacBook Air in looks, but run Windows).
Now I am awaiting for a TabletPC similar to IPad.
There is a clone already (TPed), but it runs Android which I am not familiar with.

Igor_Goldenberg
10-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcjLEwZqcQI
Hilarious!

Basil
10-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Hilarious!
Hilarious as in funny, or hilarious as in PC drones have to invent mac products to laugh at, whereas macphiles can just derive pleasure from looking at the real Microsoft offerings? ;)

Desmond
10-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I thought it was pretty weak tbh.

Igor_Goldenberg
10-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Hilarious as in funny, or hilarious as in PC drones have to invent mac products to laugh at, whereas macphiles can just derive pleasure from looking at the real Microsoft offerings? ;)
Howard, I understand you have an issue with non-Apple (or just Microsoft?) products. However, I don't think video was directed at Apple, rather Bush/Us foreign policy. And you can laugh at good satire without necessarily agreeing with political message.

PS. My post 315 was sincere.

Basil
10-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Howard, I understand you have an issue with non-Apple (or just Microsoft?) products. However, I don't think video was directed at Apple, rather Bush/Us foreign policy. And you can laugh at good satire without necessarily agreeing with political message.

PS. My post 315 was sincere.
For sure. I was just checking and that's why in my question my first of two options was that it was simply funny. I thought there was some funny there ;)

Hobbes
03-07-2010, 01:00 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tec_apple_iphone_complaints

Rincewind
20-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Honour Board

Duggan, Howard (Gunner)
Gletsos, William
Jessop, Denis
Renzies, Elliott (Heavyknight)
Southpaw Jim
Sleepless
Mephistopheles
bgriffenchop
Saragossa
PHAT
Swathe

You might want to add me to this list now - at work at least. At home it is still Windows and Ubuntu but I will have more incentive to consider Mac options in future purchases.

Basil
20-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Honour Board

Duggan, Howard (Captain Underpants)
Gletsos, William
Jessop, Denis
Renzies, Elliott (JAK)
Southpaw Jim
Sleepless
Mephistopheles
bgriffenchop
Saragossa
PHAT
Swathe
Rincewind

Ian Murray
31-08-2010, 08:29 AM
I guess I can now be added to the honour list, having been gifted an iPad by Gardiner Chess on my retirement

Basil
31-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I guess I can now be added to the honour list, having been gifted an iPad by Gardiner Chess on my retirement
Apologies for being tardy.

Honour Board

Gletsos, William
Jessop, Denis
Renzies, Elliott (JAK)
Southpaw Jim
Sleepless
Mephistopheles
bgriffenchop
Saragossa
PHAT
Swathe
Rincewind
Ian Murray

Basil
10-01-2011, 11:11 PM
The MAC-PC series of ads are finished (middle of last year). Lest we forget, 15 of the best

C5z0Ia5jDt4

Swathe
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Well my laptop is a MacBook but I run Arch Linux on my desktop

Basil
01-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Honour Board

Gletsos, William
Jessop, Denis
Renzies, Elliott (JAK)
Southpaw Jim
Sleepless
Mephistopheles
bgriffenchop
Saragossa
PHAT
Swathe
Rincewind
Ian Murray
Swathe

Swathe
02-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Lol looks like I'm in the list twice.

Basil
02-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Lol looks like I'm in the list twice.
:wall: fixled c. Spiny

Honour Board

Gletsos, William
Jessop, Denis
Renzies, Elliott (JAK)
Southpaw Jim
Sleepless
Mephistopheles
bgriffenchop
Saragossa
PHAT
Swathe
Rincewind
Ian Murray

Rhubarb
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Microsoft breathes a sigh of relief...

"Bill, it's okay, but for a minute there we thought there might be 14 Mac users."

jammo
02-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I've had Macs since 1984. Does that count?

ER
03-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Jammo, after this statement I strongly believe you must be the absolute MacRuler of this Forum! (Sorry Howie but this is 1984 we 're talking about here)! :)
That's also a living proof why On the Move as well as The Scene, are top quality publications!
The first time I actually discovered the smooth MacWonders was when I operated the (now primitive) QuarkXpress, circa mid 90s!

jammo
22-05-2011, 10:20 PM
My current stocktake is an iPhone (nearly lost it the other day when my dog ate it - but it still works), 2 iPads, a Powerbook (at work), a MacbookAir and 2 iMacs. Of course my original 128K Mac is still in my spare room awaiting antique status.

Basil
23-05-2011, 12:53 PM
My current stocktake is an iPhone (nearly lost it the other day when my dog ate it - but it still works), 2 iPads, a Powerbook (at work), a MacbookAir and 2 iMacs. Of course my original 128K Mac is still in my spare room awaiting antique status.
Respect.

Agent Smith
20-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I bought an old G4 to really get to know OSX (and test my projects). It's pretty damn good ;> Much better than Windows as a general purpose operating system. ..... Though I know there's still lots of reasons people have/want to use windows :doh:

Anyway, Linux is a great OS and i'm not going to switch - despite how slick OSX is.

Mephistopheles
05-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Solaris = a Unix(R) system that rocks.
Mac OS X = a Unix(R) system that rocks.
AIX = a Unix(R) system that rocks.
HP-UX = a Unix(R) system.
Microsfot Windows = an appropriate operating environment for beige PCs.

Anyway, Linux is a
kernel.

Happy to have cleared things up for you.

Igor_Goldenberg
25-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Steve Jobs resigned as CEO of Apple (due to health reason). Bad news, especially for Apple users.

His return to Apple in 1997 revived the company and brought it from obscurity to forefront. IMHO, he is (along with Bill Gates) one of the greatest entrepreneurs of our times.

pappubahry
25-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Here (http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1997/09/08/1997_09_08_034_TNY_CARDS_000379397?currentPage=all ) is a long piece from the New Yorker on Steve Jobs back in 1997. My favourite line is, "Jobs may be able to turn Apple into a competent niche player."

Agent Smith
10-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I got myself an 2009 aluminium macbook last month.

They're a beastie little thing. It has a pretty competant CPU and GPU (NVidia 9400M), and the battery still goes for 5/6 hours. Feels like a little brick too.

It takes a little while to get used to a few things. The Apple key (beside the space bar) instead of control key, and how the dock works. But i spent the last week on holidays with it, and i now prefer these things more than the Lilnux/Windows way. OSX is a damn fine Home User Operating System. (BTW Scid vs. PC has an ace OSX build now.)

All your windows should just give up :P
But ... I know... people get too used to something. It's the same here. I'm stuck with the power, flexibility and damn impossible-to-use Linux. Maybe one day i'll switch.

jammo
17-10-2011, 07:16 PM
I ask my new iPhone 4S "What is the best phone?" and it replies "The one you are holding!" Go Apple!

Santa
18-10-2011, 07:19 PM

kernel.

UNIX is a trademark, see http://www.unix.org/trademark.html

I don't think Unix is a trademark, and if it is its owner must be at risk of losing it (owners of trademarks must defend them against misuse, or risk their loss).

To be entitled to use the UNIX one's must product must be certified as conformung to the Single Unix Specification aka POSIX. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix

OS X is the Mac kernel from CMU, lots of FreeBSD and other stuff. If you install OS X Server and take a look you will see a lot of programs in common with popular Linux distributions, and even some of the desktop software is derived from some of the free sofware to be found in common Linux distributions.

As I said, to be called UNIX an operating system has to undergo a certification process, and that costs money. Apple has money and thinks it's important so it has OS certfied. FreeBSD doesn't have the money and so doesn't seek crtification, but aims at compliance. I believe the same is true of Linux.
Since 456 systems here, http://top500.org/stats/list/37/osfam, run Linux, there's obviously a group of users who don't think certified POSIX compliance is important.

btw I have another list, OSX isn't mentioned:
http://top500.org/stats/list/37/os
and nor is apple, in the vendors' list.

Agent Smith
19-10-2011, 08:10 AM
[Anyway, Linux is a]
kernel.
It's an interesting point of discussion. I used to more or less agree with you, but Linus never did, and after more years of operating system geekery, i've started to agree with him that "Linux" is an apt name for the operating system.

FreeBSD doesn't have the money and so doesn't seek crtification, but aims at compliance. I believe the same is true of Linux.
But i'm quite sure Linus has never given UNIX "compliance" a second thought. POSIX compliance, yes. He's a beer swilling programmer through and through. ;>

Mephistopheles
22-12-2011, 10:42 AM
UNIX is a trademark, see http://www.unix.org/trademark.html

I don't think Unix is a trademark, and if it is its owner must be at risk of losing it (owners of trademarks must defend them against misuse, or risk their loss).

UNIX and Unix are interchangable in the context of this discussion. I am referring to Unix certification which is granted through The Open Group, who own the trademark.

To be entitled to use the UNIX one's must product must be certified as conformung to
one of the UNIX product standards specified by The Open Group.

*snip misinformed drivel*

OS X is the Mac
That's Mach, my uninformed young friend.

kernel from CMU, lots of FreeBSD and other stuff. If you install OS X Server
you will have installed a UNIX 03-compliant Unix[r] system.

Mac OS X is UNIX 03 certified by the only authority deemed able to bestow that certification (http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3555.htm), my penguin-loving friend.

*snip hand-waving, exuse-making and dissemination of misconceptions*

Desmond
23-12-2011, 12:58 PM

kernel.

The only rocking Solaris is doing is sinking like one.

Mephistopheles
19-01-2012, 06:55 AM
The only rocking Solaris is doing is sinking like one.
Market share is irrelevant to this discussion.

FWIW, the largest installed base of Unix systems is Mac OS X, followed by Solaris, followed by HP-UX.

Linux is a (non-Unix) kernel and not a Unix system. Live with it.

GNU/Linux is an operating environment that is not a Unix system. GNU stands for Gnu's Not Unix.

Hope this helps.

Rincewind
19-01-2012, 07:49 AM
GNU stands for Gnu's Not Unix.

Ah... the ol' self-referential acronym. My favourite is PHP Hypertext Preprocessor.

Desmond
19-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Market share is irrelevant to this discussion.Actually market share is a very important consideration and for good reasons. If market share is sinking like a stone one has to wonder how long the vendor will be supporting the product. If market share is sinking like a stone one has to wonder if any admins are going to bother acquiring skills in such a product. So if you can't get support from the vendor and can't get guys in house to run it ... not so irrelevant after all.

Also if your competitors are moving off one flavour of Unix and migrating to another (a non-trivial proposition), or to Wintel for that matter, must give you pause to wonder what's so much better about the other one.
FWIW, the largest installed base of Unix systems is Mac OS X, followed by Solaris, followed by HP-UX.Sounds like bollocks. Got a source?

GNU/Linux is an operating environment that is not a Unix system. GNU stands for Gnu's Not Unix.Never said it was, nitwit.
Hope this helps.:hand:

Mephistopheles
19-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Actually market share is a very important consideration and for good reasons. If market share is sinking like a stone one has to wonder how long the vendor will be supporting the product.
Given that I was not speaking about market share but rather about whether systems were Unix systems or not, market share is indeed irrelevant, my child.

If market share is sinking like a stone one has to wonder if any admins are going to bother acquiring skills in such a product. So if you can't get support from the vendor and can't get guys in house to run it ... not so irrelevant after all.
Irrelevant to the point that I was making, my deluded, penguin-worshipping young friend.

Also if your competitors are moving off one flavour of Unix and migrating to another (a non-trivial proposition),
Migrating from one Unix to another is unlikely - far less so than migrating from Unix to GNU/Linux - regardless of whether the proposition is trivial or not.

or to Wintel for that matter,
ROTFLMAO!!!

The fact that you are positing migrations from Unix systems to Windows, which is dying an even faster death in the server space than Unix, speaks volumes to how little you understand about the data centre.

must give you pause to wonder what's so much better about the other one.
Your post gives me pause to wonder about why anyone would even believe in widespread Unix to Unix migrations.

Sounds like bollocks. Got a source?
Given that Mac OS X has the number two market share of desktop systems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Web_clients), that desktop systems outnumber server systems by at least an order of magnitude (and, most likely, up to three orders of magnitude) and that Mac OS X is a Unix system, it is evident to all but the dimmest observer that Mac OS X has the largest installed base of all Unix systems.

Never said it was, nitwit.:hand:
Your post seems to indicate that you did not understand that it wasn't.

Desmond
19-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Given that I was not speaking about market share but rather about whether systems were Unix systems or not, market share is indeed irrelevant, my child.

Irrelevant to the point that I was making, my deluded, penguin-worshipping young friend.You're the one who started comparing them to each other, some rock and some don't, remember? I was just helping you with a useful way to compare them.

Migrating from one Unix to another is unlikely - far less so than migrating from Unix to GNU/Linux - regardless of whether the proposition is trivial or not.Want me to post some case studies for you to educate yourself?
ROTFLMAO!!!

The fact that you are positing migrations from Unix systems to Windows, which is dying an even faster death in the server space than Unix, speaks volumes to how little you understand about the data centre.I know of a bank who did recently. But wot wuld they no rite

Your post gives me pause to wonder about why anyone would even believe in widespread Unix to Unix migrations.I did not claim "widespread".
Given that Mac OS X has the number two market share of desktop systems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Web_clients), that desktop systems outnumber server systems by at least an order of magnitude (and, most likely, up to three orders of magnitude) and that Mac OS X is a Unix system, it is evident to all but the dimmest observer that Mac OS X has the largest installed base of all Unix systems.Yet you asserted that it was Mac then Solaris then HPUX. Where do you imagine AIX sits?

Your post seems to indicate that you did not understand that it wasn't.Oh really? Which post of mine did that?

Happy to have cleared things up for you.:hand:

Agent Smith
21-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Ah... the ol' self-referential acronym. My favourite is PHP Hypertext Preprocessor.

Gregor has a nice recursive acronym for his Scid rewrite SCIDB
Scidb is a Chess Information Data Base

Just twisting Scid's "Shane's Chess Information Database" a little

Agent Smith
21-01-2012, 01:11 PM
FWIW, the largest installed base of Unix systems is Mac OS X, followed by Solaris, followed by HP-UX.

Perhaps you should go line up OS X alongside Linux and tell me which is more Unix like ? :P

BTW, I booted up Solaris 11 yesterday, and it has a very polished Nautilus/Gnome desktop. But it doesn't come with GCC and i can't get it connected via my usb modem either, so i'm stuck a little about how to do any project testing.

Desmond
12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
HjwY6O2zE0E

Saragossa
13-02-2012, 07:54 PM
I request to be removed from the mac honour roll. I have recently purchased a penguin libre from think penguin. The exchange rate means one can get a pretty good laptop, super practical considering I don't game, for a reasonable price. Also you don't have to buy into Digital restrictions management.

Basil
14-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Honour Board

Gletsos, William
Jessop, Denis
Renzies, Elliott (JAK)
Southpaw Jim
Sleepless
Mephistopheles
bgriffenchop
Saragossa (leave of absence)
PHAT
Swathe
Rincewind
Ian Murray

jammo
14-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Honour Board

Gletsos, William
Jessop, Denis
Renzies, Elliott (JAK)
Southpaw Jim
Sleepless
Mephistopheles
bgriffenchop
Saragossa (leave of absence)
PHAT
Swathe
Rincewind
Ian Murray

I presume this is the list of FIDE Mac Champions.....

- Kasparov

Agent Smith
28-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Some vaguely encouraging news about the (non) convergence of iOS and OS X. (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/127547-apple-attacks-windows-8s-tablet-laptop-convergence)

Nice bait and switch by Apple. Fake a handheld device/desktop OS merger.
Watch microsoft make a hash of Windows 8/Metro/Finito. Sit back a have a laugh.:P

ER
29-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Live from NYC headquarters!

https://picasaweb.google.com/117579133234979286240/HowieSKingdom?authkey=Gv1sRgCI_3mM-9-dKfUg#

Agent Smith
06-09-2012, 06:36 AM
I picked up a battered powerbook with OS X Tiger on it. It's a bit of a crawler compared to Leopard on an Intel C2D, but support for Classic OS is interesting, and i'll have a play with it sometime. :whistle:

Anyway - the thing that struck me is every version of OS X up to Snow Leopard
was a significant improvement on the previous. But Lion (10.7) breaks this pattern... It's just feels like a vague iOS research project to me.

Does anyone really prefer Lion or Mountain Lion over Snow Leopard ?

Desmond
19-09-2016, 10:17 PM
Anyone lining up for the honour of paying 229 for earphones with the new iphone?