PDA

View Full Version : Chessbase - Starter vs Mega Pack.

Garrett
30-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi everyone

I am thinking of getting chessbase so as to be able to look at how grandmasters have handled the positions resulting from the openings in my repertoire.

My question is (for anyone who has chessbase) - is chessbase starter package good for this ?

Also - does anyone have the chessbase mega pack and are they happy they bought it ? Do you often use any features that the mega pack has that the starter package does not ?

Any information would be appreciated.
Cheers
George.

darkshadowdog
30-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi, I have the starter package and i'm quite happy with it. I mainly wanted to purchase chessbase for the database factor and for archiving my own games therefore the videos and other bonus features in the mega package diden't interest me too much. I have found the starter package 100 percent condusive to my needs and though I woulden't complain at having all the videos and extra games that come with the mega package the price difference is a bit too much for me.
Regards,
Kyle

Basil
30-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi, I have the starter package ...
Can we borrow yours? Ours has stopped posting, changed his ID and basically gone to seed!

bergil
30-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Can we borrow yours? Ours has stopped posting, changed his ID and basically gone to seed!
ROTFL :clap:

Garrett
31-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi, I have the starter package and i'm quite happy with it. I mainly wanted to purchase chessbase for the database factor and for archiving my own games therefore the videos and other bonus features in the mega package diden't interest me too much. I have found the starter package 100 percent condusive to my needs and though I woulden't complain at having all the videos and extra games that come with the mega package the price difference is a bit too much for me.
Regards,
Kyle

Thanks for the info Kyle.

Spiny Norman
31-03-2007, 12:37 PM
I am thinking of getting chessbase so as to be able to look at how grandmasters have handled the positions resulting from the openings in my repertoire.

My question is (for anyone who has chessbase) - is chessbase starter package good for this ?

Also - does anyone have the chessbase mega pack and are they happy they bought it ? Do you often use any features that the mega pack has that the starter package does not ?

Any information would be appreciated.
I am very interested in this topic too ... am thinking about stepping up from ChessBase Light ... my birthday is in early May! All opinions welcomed.

Spiny Norman
16-04-2007, 07:23 AM
My birthday approaches. I need to make a decision in the next couple of days whether I am getting ChessBase ... and also what analysis engine would be most suitable (I have considered both Fritz and Shredder). Your thoughts appreciated.

Garvinator
16-04-2007, 10:43 AM
My birthday approaches. I need to make a decision in the next couple of days whether I am getting ChessBase ... and also what analysis engine would be most suitable (I have considered both Fritz and Shredder). Your thoughts appreciated.
I can answer the analysis engine part. The latest Rybka engine- Rybka 2.3.1 from http://www.rybkachess.com/

It is the strongest chess engine around.

If you want a program for tutorials that also has a decent analysis engine, then probably head in the direction of fritz 10.

Garrett
16-04-2007, 10:58 AM

Hi Frosty

I have bitten the bullet and ordered Chessbase but have not received it yet. I will let you know what I think of it.

Best of luck.

Cheers
George.

Capablanca-Fan
16-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi George

Which version did you order? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on both the database and analysis (yours too, Frosty).

Jono

Bereaved
16-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I have Chessbase 9, and recently bought/updated to Mega database 2007. When I first bought Chessbase 8 a few years ago, I bought the starter package, and was not particularly impressed with the Big database that came with it, as it contains no annotated games. The benefit of the mega packages is that many of the games are annotated....but....to be considered an annotated game all that is required is one comment ie ? ! etc or lost on Time or forfeit, so be mindful although many of the games are annotated in a meaningful fashion, there are a large number with the aforementioned paucity.

All in all, I feel that the benefit of the mega databases far outweighs whatever detractors might be ascribed to it.

The mega package does often contain some magazines ( on cd, generally, though may be DVD by now ) and an ongoing supply of them for a year. I found that these were of not great significance owing to the amount of news available online, of comparable value, and also far more quickly available.

Anyway hope that helps some of you make up your mind about what choice to make.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Garrett
16-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi George

Which version did you order? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on both the database and analysis (yours too, Frosty).

Jono

Hi Jono

I ordered the Mega pack. As Mac mentioned the mega pack has the annotated games. Solo has the mega pack and is happy with it. John Alkin bought the Mega pack and really liked the magazines that came with it, although he only had received everything about a week before I spoke with him.

I'll let you know what I think.

cheers
George.

Capablanca-Fan
16-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanx guys. What is the best place to order it?

Spiny Norman
16-04-2007, 06:09 PM
I've had a look today at the Rybka site ... thanks Garvin ... it looks pretty impressive.

Re: differences between Chessbase Starter and Chessbase Mega ... apart from the annotated games ... seems to be the handling of opening lines/positions. Wondering whether the 3.5M games are able to be effectively browsed in the Starter edition? I have mostly used www.chessgames.com up until now, and I find their opening browser very easy to use. Can anyone describe how that compares with Chessbase?

Bill Gletsos
16-04-2007, 06:12 PM
There is as far as I know, no functional difference between the Chessbase 9 program in the Starter pack as compared to the Mega pack.

The difference is in the additional database material on the other disks.

Garvinator
16-04-2007, 06:22 PM
I've had a look today at the Rybka site ... thanks Garvin ... it looks pretty impressive.There is a free beta engine that is perfectly fine for general analysis. All the other versions are commercial. The free version is Rybka 1.0 beta. The current commercial version is 2.3.1. Gives some idea of how much advancement Vasik Rajlich has put into the engine.

Spiny Norman
16-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks Bill ... that wasn't clear to me based on reading the Chessbase website. For example, they say:

ChessBase Mega Edition contains:

ChessBase Magazine subscribtion for one year
Fritz5.32-Engine
Crafty-Engine
Player encyclopedia with over 20000 pictures
ChessBase Mega DataBase 2007 (DVD) Contains more than 3.5 millions games from 1530 to 2006 in the highest ChessBase quality standard. 60.000 games contain commentary from top players, with ChessBase opening classification with more than 100.000 key positions, direct access to players, tournaments, middlegame themes, endgames
DVD Fritz Endgame Turbo III
CorrDatabase 2006

ChessBase Starter Edition contains:

Fritz5.32-Engine
Crafty-Engine
Player encyclopedia with over 20000 pictures
ChessBase Big DataBase 2007 (3.5 Million games from 1794 to 2006 in highest ChessBase quality standard without annotations)
Latest issues from the ChessBase Magzine [sic]
Two multimedia CD's (from ChessBase Magazine or ChessBase Magazine Extra

I think, all things considered, that I will start with the aptly named Starter Edition and see how I get on.

Bill Gletsos
16-04-2007, 06:40 PM
The following is from the text of the actual Mega 2007 database.

The Mega 2007 database contains 3,512,846 games.

The Openings Key
The games of the database are sorted into the ChessBase 'SuperKey'. This is based on the Informant ECO classification and contains 106.707 individual categories, which represent the individual lines of the openings.

The Big base in the Starter pack has the same number of games and as far as I know the same Opening key.

Capablanca-Fan
16-04-2007, 09:17 PM
How does ChessBase compare with Chess Assistant?

Garrett
17-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Thanx guys. What is the best place to order it?

Hi Jono

Probably either through the Chessbase internet site or your favourite Australian chess supplier.

Southpaw Jim
17-04-2007, 09:13 AM
I really recommend that you check out ChessDB (the descendant of Scid) before committing to a purchase of Chessbase. It has some really nifty features (comprehensive reporting features, automatic download of TWIC's weekly releases) and it's free. Combine it with the free Rybka engine!

It doesn't have any database included, but perhaps you can find database material on the net for free also?

Link! (http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/)

Brian_Jones
17-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi Jono

Probably either through the Chessbase internet site or your favourite Australian chess supplier.

I suggest you buy in Australia if you want to support Australian chess.

Minus 1000 HD$ if you buy from Amazon!

Desmond
17-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I suggest you buy in Australia if you want to support Australian chess.

Minus 1000 HD$ if you buy from Amazon!I agree with this, and got mine from Gardiner chess (sorry Brian).

Garrett
17-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Did you have to pay extra for the warm fuzzy feeling Boris ?

Desmond
17-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Did you have to pay extra for the warm fuzzy feeling Boris ?I suspect so, but didn't do much research. I just prefer to support local business.

Basil
17-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Excellent! The thread's rockin'! Where to start? How about I just shut-up and move on?

Did you have to pay extra for the warm fuzzy feeling Boris ?
If extra is paid, it is not just for the warm fuzzy. Imagine a situation where one wanted to buy local (say for support) but couldn't because of mealy-mouthed purchasing practices in a previous life-time :wall:

<Price check register 3>
<Quickly pays everyone a tenner HCDs and exits>

Capablanca-Fan
17-04-2007, 03:01 PM
I really recommend that you check out ChessDB (the descendant of Scid) before committing to a purchase of Chessbase. It has some really nifty features (comprehensive reporting features, automatic download of TWIC's weekly releases) and it's free. Combine it with the free Rybka engine!

It doesn't have any database included, but perhaps you can find database material on the net for free also?

Link! (http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/)
Thanx for that. But wouldn't people buy such a program precisely because of the accompanying databases? All the same, TWIC and Rybka seem excellent esp. for a free program.

Chess Assistant mega seems about the same price as ChessBase starter.

Brian_Jones
20-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I suspect so, but didn't do much research. I just prefer to support local business.

Why not be an Australian like the rest of us Boris - don't just act like a Queenslander! ;)

Spiny Norman
20-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I've decided to try Chess Assistant Mega, paired with the Rybka engine.

Capablanca-Fan
20-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I've decided to try Chess Assistant Mega, paired with the Rybka engine.
Is this instead of or in addition to ChessBase? I'd be interested to know what you think of this.

Spiny Norman
22-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Instead of ... when I get all the bits-n-pieces set up, I'd be happy to provide a quick report on what I think of it ... I've been using Chessbase Light up to now, so am hoping that my new acquisitions will be a bit of a quantum leap.

ElevatorEscapee
22-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Word of warning: keep a careful eye on your waistline as it might start to expand once you move from the 'light' version. ;)

Garrett
02-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Hi everyone

My chessbase arrived a week ago but as I have been busy with work, I have not given it all the attention I would have liked.

My first impressions are that it is an excellent piece of software.

Using chessbase has accelerated my chess preparation by about 8-10 fold. Before I bought chessbase I had been writing pages of notes on my favourite openings, inserting diagrams etc and then printing them out and storing them in a binder. Now it is much easier as I can search for master games in my fave openings (or use the ones cited in my favourite openings books) and add them to my repertoire collection. I can also add notes to the games (my own, and summarised notes of the book authors i.e. Gallager, Nunn). Playing over the games is also multiple times faster then with a real board.

Apart from this I have used an opening evaluation function where you set up a position and the database prepares a report giving information such as who has played the line, when it was first played, and the critical lines, which moves are regularly tried, and how the colours have fared in the line.

I suspect there is much more functionality I have not explored yet. I might read the manual soon.

The mega pack also arrived with 6 editions of chessbase magazine which is extremely excellent.

Also in the pack was the mega database which looks as thought it contains the same games as in chessbase with the exception that several thousand are annotated. Some of the 'annotated' games only contain a couple of symbols. A lot are also in foreign languages, but a lot are very good also (last night I was looking at Kasparov comments on Botvinnik-Capablanca AVRO '38 which is well annotated in English).

Also coming with the pack is a DVD of correspondence games which I have not had the chance to look at yet. Also in the pack is an endgames turbo pack which is still in the shrink wrapping.

Overall I am pleased to have bought Chessbase. I note that so-far I have mainly used the funcitonality which comes with the starter pack but I am still getting used to it and will probably continue to explore and find out all the things chessbase has to offer.

I can recommend this product with the caveat that I have not used any other chess databases so cannot give any comparisons.

cheers and hope this helps
George.

PS - see everyone at Redcliffe on the weekend.