PDA

View Full Version : Clocks behaving strangely.

ElevatorEscapee
21-03-2007, 04:33 PM
During one of my games in the recent Ballarat Begonia tournament, I noticed some strange behaviour with one of the newer style DGT (XL?) clocks as was wondering if anyone could offer any insight.

We were playing on the preset 12 (90 moves + 30 second increment) and had each made about a dozen moves with the clock behaving as expected.
My opponent then played a move and pressed his clock as normal (he didn't press with unnecessary force or bash the clock in any way) and instead of displaying each players' time, the clock started flashing 12 (the preset).

This would be the equivalent of turning the clock off and then on again.

The arbiter was summoned and promptly replaced the clock (fortunately we had written down the time we had used) and we continued our game without further interruption.

The arbiter mentioned that this had happened to a couple of clocks during the tournament.

The only thing I could think of that might cause the clock to react in such a way is either a dry solder joint (disconnecting then reconnecting) or maybe the batteries not quite making contact properly (again disconnecting and reconnecting).

Has anyone experienced this behaviour in digital clocks before? Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused it?

Cheers,

~EE :)

Garvinator
21-03-2007, 07:00 PM
The older batches of dgt xl clock has had most of it's problems when it is set to option 12. The most common fault is the clock switching itself off.

It seems the problem experienced in your game is just another variation of a fault.

Not sure though what causes these faults to happen in the dgt xl clock.