PDA

View Full Version : who will win the NRL League comp in 2004?

chesslover
06-05-2004, 06:43 PM
The NRL is the number 1 League comp in the world, and the quality and intenisty and excellence displayed by the League teams is unrivalled in the world.

Who will win in 2004? The bookmakers have the Roosters as favourites, but I say my team the Mighty Bulldogs will win. They are fired up after the dismissal of the rape allegations against them, and like a champion team will make sure that the other teams pay the price of their rage

BOW WOW WOW
BOW WOW WOW
thats my...thats my.....thats my team

chesslover
06-05-2004, 07:24 PM
the NRL table after round 8, with 18 more rounds still to go

1 Bulldogs 14 points
2 Sydney Roosters 12
3 St George Illawara Dragons 10
4 Brisbane Broncos *10 (2 points deducted for cheating)
5 Penrith Panthers 10
6 Canberra Raiders 10
7 Melbourne Storm 8
8 Newcastle Knights 8
9 Wests Tigers 8
10 Parramatta Eels 8
11 North Queensland Cowboys 6
12 New Zealand Warriors 6
13 Crounulla Sharks 6
14 South Sydney Rabbitohs 6
15 Manly Sea Eagles 4

JGB
06-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Is this a sport?

chesslover
06-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Is this a sport?

League is only the toughest game of all. Players are tackled without any protection, unlike the American Football sissies

It is called the "greatest game of all" by many in Sydney.

Rugby League began as an offshoot from Rugny Union, which itself was an offshoot of Soccer. Rugby Union (or Rugby as it was popularly called, was an ametuaur sport. In 1895, the Northern England Rugby Union clubs broke away from the Richer and higher social status southern england clubs, as the latter refused to pay Rugby Union players money for playing, and insisted Rugby should be played only amaeturs..

Over time, the Northern Union, became Rugby League, and the game got reduced to 13 men (from the 15 of Rugby), and players did not have to release the ball after being tackled.

It spreads to Australia in 1907, when the refusal of the united Rugby administration, to pay working class people who played Rugby, lead to some Sydney club affifiliating and joining the Northern Union. In 1908 the first Rugby League competition started in Australia.

League started off as a working class game, and still is a working class game.It is tough, non compromising, and played by men who laugh at danger, and have no fear. It is a man's sport.

Currently league is confined to NSW and Queensland in Australia, Northern England (where it is played in Summer, and the sport ranks well behind after Soccer and Rugby), parts of New Zeland especially AUckland and Wellington(where it ranks well down behind Union), parts of Southern France (where the game is very small and there are only crowds of 1000 people, as irt is dwarfed by Soccer and to a lesser extent Union), and PNG. Another 30 countries have status as Rugby league nations, but these are very weak and have less than 100 registered players, and will be defeated by a reserve grade NRL side. In contrast Soccer has 200+ nations, and Union 110, with at least 8 of the 110 competitive.

League has 2 major competions in the world. NRL which is the Australian compettion, which combines Australian and New Zeland teams. The other major competition is the English Super League, which has clubs from England, and soon France. Otherwise there are no major League comps.

The only compettitve League countries are Australia (ie NSW and Quuensland), England and New Zeland.

Sydney is the heartland of League, and as long as Sydney, with it;s huge population and media sponsorships loves League, League's urvival is assured in Australia. Even though only Queensland and canberra are league states, with the rest of Australia interested in a sport called Aussie Rules (which exists and is ponly played in Australia), the sheer dominance and importance of Sydney means that League is a major sport in Australia. And as long as Australia is into League, league will survive in England, New Zeland and the 30 odd countries that are members of the Internationalk Rugby league Federation

ursogr8
07-05-2004, 08:21 AM
League is only the toughest game of all. Players are tackled without any protection, unlike the American Football sissies

It is called the "greatest game of all" by many in Sydney.

CL
I looked at your poll and wondered who are these Melbourne Knights? Are they based down here in 'Mexico'.
Are they that group that practice on the small oval between the rowing sheds and the Collingwood training venue on the Yarra bank?
starter

Ian Rout
07-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Of course CL means the Melbourne Storm. The Melbourne Knights are/were a soccer team.

The Storm have some very good players but their biggest achievement is that they have found a sport that Victorians won't watch.

ursogr8
07-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Of course CL means the Melbourne Storm. The Melbourne Knights are/were a soccer team.

The Storm have some very good players but their biggest achievement is that they have found a sport that Victorians won't watch.

Ian
Ah the STORM. How could I forget the STORM.

You know, I really respect your final sentence. By the subtlist of methods you have made a virtue out of the NSW propensity to not watch in great numbers. It made me contemplate those other wonderful spectacles that VICTORIANS don't watch either. 1) Beach volleyball. 2) First yacht to the Heads.
I have to agree; STORM is in good company with these.

starter

Paul S
08-05-2004, 02:52 AM
The NRL is the number 1 League comp in the world, and the quality and intenisty and excellence displayed by the League teams is unrivalled in the world.

Who will win in 2004? The bookmakers have the Roosters as favourites, but I say my team the Mighty Bulldogs will win. They are fired up after the dismissal of the rape allegations against them, and like a champion team will make sure that the other teams pay the price of their rage

BOW WOW WOW
BOW WOW WOW
thats my...thats my.....thats my team

WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!!!

Yes, I think a 2004 Bulldogs premiership win is a REAL possibility. In this poll I've stuck my neck out and tipped them to win in 2004, which is why there are currently 2 votes for the Bulldogs - me and (presumably!) Chesslover.

If there is such a thing as a "Rugby League God", then a Bulldogs premiership win in 2004 would be a fitting reward for all the crap that they have had to deal with over the last 3 months. It would, in fact, be the most remarkable premiership win by ANY club, if they were to pull it off.

Love them or hate them, there is something special about the Bulldogs! It is a remarkable achievement that they are on top after 8 rounds, considering all the rubbish they have had to handle in recent weeks. :clap:

WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!!!

chesslover
08-05-2004, 09:30 AM
WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!!!

Yes, I think a 2004 Bulldogs premiership win is a REAL possibility. In this poll I've stuck my neck out and tipped them to win in 2004, which is why there are currently 2 votes for the Bulldogs - me and (presumably!) Chesslover.

If there is such a thing as a "Rugby League God", then a Bulldogs premiership win in 2004 would be a fitting reward for all the crap that they have had to deal with over the last 3 months. It would, in fact, be the most remarkable premiership win by ANY club, if they were to pull it off.

Love them or hate them, there is something special about the Bulldogs! It is a remarkable achievement that they are on top after 8 rounds, considering all the rubbish they have had to handle in recent weeks. :clap:

WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!!!

BOW WOW WOW.....BOW WOW WOW
WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF

2002 was a tragedy that arguebaly the best team ever to take the field in modern times, was penalised 37 points for crimes that were commited by the Board. The players and fans were blameless, but the entire club got stripped of 37 points

Bulldogs were by far the best team in 2002 and had a record 17 wins in a row. If the NRL did not strip pour points, we would have won the minor premiership so easily - and not the New Zealand warriors.

In 2003 the pressure was intense, and the wholemedia were out to get us. We were just one win away from the grandfinal there as well

In 2004, the media again beat up the story, about the rape that never happened. The entire Bulldogs were dragged in the mud, the fans were portrayed as villians and ruffians, and we lost valuable sponsorship. And for what? for something that NEVER happened. There was no rape, yet the Bulldogs were tried and convicted by the media.

2004 is our year Paul. The Bulldogs have a point to prove after all the injustices that we have had to endure

This dog is MAD

BOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

chesslover
08-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Ian
Ah the STORM. How could I forget the STORM.

You know, I really respect your final sentence. By the subtlist of methods you have made a virtue out of the NSW propensity to not watch in great numbers. It made me contemplate those other wonderful spectacles that VICTORIANS don't watch either. 1) Beach volleyball. 2) First yacht to the Heads.
I have to agree; STORM is in good company with these.

starter

I pity you and feel sorry for you that you just cannot get what a wonderful and tough sport League is. It is the toughest and best game in the world, and it is only a matter of time before it explodes in the USA. And once we get the USA hooked, League from the current low international status, may well be the numnber 1 sport in the planet -even taking that mantle from Soccer.

The Melbourne Storm, you unappreciative Victorian barabarian, is one of the best League teams in the world. They entered in 1998 after the Super league/ ARL peace agreement, and came 3rd that year. In 1999they won the comp, in only their second year. That was probably one of the greatwest achievements in League history, and you stupid Victorians had no clue about it's significance. It was the quickest premiership won by a club since entry in the entire history of League (excluding 1908, the first year of League, which Souths won).

In 2000 Melbourne made the playoffs, and in 2001 missed the playoffs by by just 3 points. In 2002 Melbourne just missed the playoffs by 2 points, and in 2003 they made the playoffs again.

In 2004, under coach bellamy they are again a great team. It is a pity that Victorians willnot relaise this and adopt this fine team as their own, The Storm are entirely a Vicotrian team, not a relocated team like the Swans, and are 100% victorian.

If the AFL thinks that this will make League abandon the League outpost in the AFL heartland they are sorely and sadly mistaken. The NRL abandoned League forever when it made a short sighted move to abandon the Perth and Adeleaide League teams, and left the entire region with no option but to be AFL fans.

Melbourne is the number 2 market in Australia, and if league is to be national, and then be a significant force internationally, we just cannot let melbourne die. If melbourne goes, it will be just NSW, ACT and Queensland that play League, and with no expnasion, League will die. Just as Aussie Rules wil die, as unable to expand outside Australia, it will never command the salary and sponsorships and media that soccer offers, and sooner or later when soccer gets its act together to transform it's number 1 status amongst juniors to financial muscle, Aussie Rules is doomed. At least League will survive longer than Aussie Rules, for we are strong in North England, PNG and Auckland/ Wellington in NZ. And Sydney is and always will be a League land, and as long as we are, League in Australia and Internationally is secure

So get used to it. The Melbourne Storm are here to stay, and you had better learn to accept the fact. Also learn to accept the fact that 8,500 people see them every tiume they play at home in Olympic park, and that this will only grow.

Trent Parker
08-05-2004, 06:27 PM
oh, when the saints
go marching in
oh, when the saints
go marching in

Trent Parker
08-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Analysis
Brisbane: I read in the paper today that Brisbane was short of players they had to ring up Ben Ikin to see if hed play. Won't win - to shallow
Canterbury: hmmm should i use the lockyer joke? Not even a team of Rapers would make the bulldogs win!
Canberra: in the 8 but nahh
Cronulla: maybe in another 100 years they'll get there
South Sydney: ready to be culled. Rabbitoh Rabbitoh get your fresh rabbits here!
Manly: Fat man should get off the board man.
sydney city: mmmm maybe
Storm: there will be nothing but rain on their parade
Parramatta: not so electric.
Penrith: have lost some teeth but will be there. (in the 8)
North Queensland: will continue to be better than cellar dwellers.
Wests: Bold Prediction: will be in 8
Newcastle: will b in 8
Auckland: should be worried worriors.
St George-Illawarra dragons:
Ready to become chinese and cook up some dog and cat or perhaps even horse.
Ready for flamed cooked birds.
Ready to slay the knights, Raiders and worriors
Ready to turn the storm to steam
Ready to devour some flake or rabbit

Ready to kick some a**

ursogr8
08-05-2004, 09:09 PM
I pity you and feel sorry for you that you just cannot get what a wonderful and tough sport League is. It is the toughest and best game in the world, and it is only a matter of time before it explodes in the USA. And once we get the USA hooked, League from the current low international status, may well be the numnber 1 sport in the planet -even taking that mantle from Soccer.

CL
Good to see you back.
And you completely ignore any apology by you that you could not remember the Melbourne team name until Ian reminded you it was STORM, not KNIGHTS.

Good humourous post of yours by the way. You are better when you target humourous, instead of anything serious.

The Melbourne Storm, you unappreciative Victorian barabarian

Ah. Barbarian. Another try by you to remember the name. But it is the wrong code mate. Try again. 5 letters...sounds like 'norm'; think 'rough weather'..

The Storm are entirely a Vicotrian team, and are 100% victorian.

Not the members of the STORM crowd CL. They are mainly ex-pat northerners.

If the AFL thinks that this will make League abandon the League outpost in the AFL heartland they are sorely and sadly mistaken. The NRL abandoned League forever when it made a short sighted move to abandon the Perth and Adeleaide League teams, and left the entire region with no option but to be AFL fans.

Another botched decision by the 'nothern flingers' league.

So get used to it. The Melbourne Storm are here to stay, and you had better learn to accept the fact. Also learn to accept the fact that 8,500 people see them every tiume they play at home in Olympic park, and that this will only grow.

Aren't you embarassed to print such a small figure as 8,500? More than this were turned away from the Brisbane v SAINTers match last week.

starter

chesslover
10-05-2004, 07:25 PM
CL
Good to see you back.
And you completely ignore any apology by you that you could not remember the Melbourne team name until Ian reminded you it was STORM, not KNIGHTS.

Good humourous post of yours by the way. You are better when you target humourous, instead of anything serious.

Ah. Barbarian. Another try by you to remember the name. But it is the wrong code mate. Try again. 5 letters...sounds like 'norm'; think 'rough weather'..

Not the members of the STORM crowd CL. They are mainly ex-pat northerners.

Another botched decision by the 'nothern flingers' league.

Aren't you embarassed to print such a small figure as 8,500? More than this were turned away from the Brisbane v SAINTers match last week.

starter

very funny my dear Aussie Rules lover. Hey that's a thought. The alias AussieRuleslover is still unclaimed in this BB :p

I called you a barbarian, dear ARL, not the Melbourne Storm. SInce Aussie Rules is such a hard game to understand in comparision to League, I thought you would have known that. Oh well :doh:

At least we are in agreement with the NRL leaving Adelaide and Perth to Aussie Rules forever. We should have stuck it out there, and when the WA and SA people see league played there, over time they will be converted to our game. It is not for nothing that they call League, the "greatest game of all"

And 8,500 is a very respectable crowd. In RL worldwide, only 20 teams in the entire planet have a bigger home crowd than Melbourne. 12 are the Australian NRL teams, 1 is the New Zeland NRL team and the other 7 are the English Super league teams. So Melbourne is a force in terms of world rugby league - yet you Mexicans do not watch it :confused:

Since it is inevitable dear ARL, that the Storm will over time win over Aussie Rules fans and play in front of packed houses, why not jump the trend and be a Melbourne Storm season ticket holder :hmm: Never say, that I try not to help you and give you good suggestions :p

chesslover
10-05-2004, 07:30 PM
the top 8 after Round 9 are

Sydney Rooseters 14
Buldogs 14
Brisbane 12
Penrith 12
St George 10
Newcastle 10
Canberra 10
parramatta 10

This may well be the final 8 at the end of the season. Only Melbourne look like breaking into the top 8, probably at the expense of canberra or parramatta.

But who knows? there are another 17 rounds left and Newcastle who looked dead and buried when Johns left, are back when they beat us doggies yesterday

WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE

But the final 4 will be the final 4 at season end. Roosters, Brisbane, penrith and Bulldogs look a class ablove the others

BOW WOW WOW
WOOF WOOF

ursogr8
06-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I watched the TV show BACK PAGE tonight...they were musing back over the 6 worst sporting scenes of the past year.
In no particular order
1 Canterbury Bulldogs pre-season scandal and the Boards treatment of Steve Mortimer
2 The lady rower in the boat
3 The Greek sprinters and the motor-bike accident.
4 The basketballer in the Indiana pacers
5 Thorpe's over-balance into the pool.

Any other favourites?

JGB
06-12-2004, 08:23 PM
I watched the TV show BACK PAGE tonight...they were musing back over the 6 worst sporting scenes of the past year.
In no particular order
1 Canterbury Bulldogs pre-season scandal and the Boards treatment of Steve Mortimer

Any other favourites?

Yeah, Greece winning the European Championship! :clap: :wall: :whistle:

Garvinator
07-12-2004, 12:06 AM
In no particular order

Any other favourites?
Marion Jones, Zimbabwe and cricket.