PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the 2004 AFL Premiership?

Alan Shore
06-05-2004, 10:11 AM
It's still early days, so it'll be interesting to see how things pan out.

The amusing thing is at this stage, after 7 rounds, Collingwood are bottom of the ladder after being in last year's GF..

No question St Kilda are the form team right now, with Melbourne and Port playing well too. The Lions may have lost two but only by the narrowest of margins and are still playing like a side capable of winning a 4th straight premiership.

It's also interesting to note how fortunes can change mid-season: Brisbane storming home in 2001 with 16 straight wins after not being in the eight, and both Collingwood and Geelong winning their first 5 games and losing their next 9 a few years back.

Rincewind
06-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Go the Blues! :D

Ever notice the way that people who don't care about a particular poll make nonsense votes?

Alan Shore
06-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Go the Blues! :D

Ever notice the way that people who don't care about a particular poll make nonsense votes?

Haha.. I would have voted for Carlton too but was being more realistic about the possibilities :)

Oepty
06-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Adelaide Crows.
Scott

Garvinator
06-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Adelaide Crows.
Scott
so who voted for port then?

Oepty
06-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Not me, I wouldn't vote for that bunch of chokers
Scott
P.S. Remember the Crows and Power are playing this week so biases come to the fore.

Alan Shore
06-05-2004, 12:53 PM
How come you didn't vote 'other' in the poll then Scott? (unless you're just hoping and voted for another team!)

I didn't think it worth including the Crows, they're languishing near the bottom of the table but you never know (if you have a problem, blame the BB's inability to provide more than 10 poll options, hehe)

Ian Rout
06-05-2004, 02:03 PM
so who voted for port then?
I voted for Port Adelaide. I think it is true in chess that you learn more from your losses than your wins so if it applies also to Aussie Rules then Port Adelaide is best placed of the sensible contenders.

Although we all like to see long losing streaks in any sport continue so that we can make fun of the team or its supporters, realistically they stop eventually (e.g. Collingwood in AFL, Queensland in the Sheffield Shield, Canberra Cannons in the NBL).

Trent Parker
06-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Analysis :hmm:

Adelaide: Nope. Might be in the 8 but .... Nope
Brisbane: Nope I go for anyone who is playing against a brisbane football team.
Carlton: yeah right... Try in another 10 years if theyre lucky :rolleyes: :hand:
Collingwood: No the colliwobbles woll keep wobbling. Eddy... Keep to TV... :D :evil:
Essendon: The bombers will bomb out this year
Fremantle: I'll go out on a limb. top 4 for these guys this year. :uhoh:
Geelong: Always seem to have a young team. Mid pack.
Hawthorn: I don't know :eh:
North melbourne: ever since carey and that other bloke who now coaches carlton left they have been mediocre. I think it will be a long time before they do any good..
Melbourne: this team is probably too inexperienced in finals football. Perhaps in 8 but wont win big show
Pt Power: Choker or not a choker? this is the question
Richmond: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ um no.
St. Kilda: Surprise packet. will be in 8
Sydney: GO YOU SWANNIES :clap:
West Coast: No
Western Bulldogs: Bulldogs to win. :lol: finally composed myself.... Yeah right

ursogr8
06-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Analysis :hmm:

St. Kilda: Surprise packet. will be in 8

What data have you been looking at?
Look at the second half of last season.
Look at pre-season.
Then come back and tell me the ducks are not lined up; or rather, tell me you are no longer surprised.

starter

JGB
06-05-2004, 05:13 PM
After hearing about the 'Pies' 'sh**house' performance, i dont think ill be heading home. :wall:

chesslover
06-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Cheer Cheer the red and the white
Honour the name by day and by night
lift that noble banner high
shake down the thunder from the sky
what thou the odds be great or small
swans will go in and win overall
while her loyal sons are marching
onwards to victory

:)

Alan Shore
06-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Silly southern sluggish Swans
Hiding meekly in the fronds
They cannot run, they cannot hide
Just slip on down the slippery slide
The Lions enter the hunting ground
They creep in softly without a sound
The Swans are devoured, every one of them fails
And they all fly on back to silly old New South Wales.

:p

chesslover
06-05-2004, 08:18 PM
I am a League man, as that was the sport I played.

I think AUssie Rules is a poor sport in comparision to league, but as this is a thread to see who will win in 2004 I will not talk about that here.

If forced to pick a team I support the Swans, but if they do not win it, I want any of the non Victorian teams to win it

Execpt for Adelaide, all of the other 5 non Vic teams are in with a chnace to win the comp in 2004

chesslover
06-05-2004, 08:26 PM
The ladder after 6 rpounds, with 16 rounds yet to go

the two biggest surprises are St Kilda and Melbourne, with the 2 biggest dissapointments being Collingwood and Adelaide

1 St Kilda 6-0 149.77% 24 points
2 Melbourne 5-1 137.48% 20 points
3 Port Adelaide 5-1 136.92% 20 points
4 Fremantle 5-1 121.4% 20 points
5 Brisbane Lions 4-2 126.96% 16points
6 Essendon 4-2 93.12% 16 points
7 Sydney Swans 3-3 112.62% 12 points
8 Kangaroos 3-3 98.72% 12 points
9 West Coast Eagles 2-4 90.98% 8 points
10 Geelong 2-4 90.04% 8 points
11 Western Bulldogs 2-4 90.03% 8 points
12 Carlton 2-4 84.52% 8 points
13 Richmond 2-4 71.23% 8 points
14 Adelaide 1-5 85.31% 4 points
15 Hawthorn 1-5 81.14% 4 points
16 Collingwood 1-5 72.31% 4 points

chesslover
10-05-2004, 07:35 PM
are the rumours reported in the Sunday Tele true?

Collingwood are last because one of their high profile stars is sleeping with another team mate's wife? :eek: This is affecting the whole team and malthouse has to do something. What is Eddie doing?

After carey I thought Aussie Rules players would learn not to mess in their own backyard :doh:

Alan Shore
10-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Go the Blues, what a great last quarter that was to beat the Pies! Have a cry Eddie.

Maybe Barry's prediction has merit after all :D

Oepty
11-05-2004, 11:13 AM
I didn't vote other in the pole because I don't really think that the Crows can win the premiership, just having a Showdown week jibe as I explained in my second post. I think Brisbane, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and St Kilda all have excellent chances to win the premiership. Port currently have a lot of injuries which is part of the reason they lost to Adelaide. The other reason is Adelaide showed they are a better team than their position on the ladder. I am very confident they will make the eight though. It seems Ben Hart, Simon Goodwin, Rhett Biglands and Brent Rielly are all possibilities to the return for the Crows this week. They have to be a very strong chance to beat Essendon on Friday night.
Scott

ursogr8
18-05-2004, 10:21 AM
I didn't vote other in the pole because I don't really think that the Crows can win the premiership, just having a Showdown week jibe as I explained in my second post. I think Brisbane, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and St Kilda all have excellent chances to win the premiership. Port currently have a lot of injuries which is part of the reason they lost to Adelaide. The other reason is Adelaide showed they are a better team than their position on the ladder. I am very confident they will make the eight though. It seems Ben Hart, Simon Goodwin, Rhett Biglands and Brent Rielly are all possibilities to the return for the Crows this week. They have to be a very strong chance to beat Essendon on Friday night.
Scott

Three predictions.
One of them already in the trash-can of history.

Garvinator
18-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Three predictions.
of course you just had to point out the essendon won right :lol: :whistle: :uhoh:

Oepty
18-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Three predictions.
Starter, I got it very wrong didn't I. My only defense is that Hart and Goodwin didn't come back into the side as the Advertiser suggested they would.
What have the Vic papers said about Carey's performance? I didn't see the game, I was away at a Church camp but I understand he played very well. I think those who said he was finished are starting to look as though they were wrong
Scott

Garvinator
18-05-2004, 04:35 PM
I think those who said he was finished are starting to look as though they were wrong
Scott
one good performance doesnt make a great form reversal :eek:

ursogr8
18-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Starter, I got it very wrong didn't I. My only defense is that Hart and Goodwin didn't come back into the side as the Advertiser suggested they would.
What have the Vic papers said about Carey's performance? I didn't see the game, I was away at a Church camp but I understand he played very well. I think those who said he was finished are starting to look as though they were wrong
Scott

Scott
VIC programs have recognised Carey's performance as good as his best ever. He seems to have recovered mobility.
And the CROWS worked out where to play him> HFflank. He was unstoppable as ever.

Alan Shore
18-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Scott
VIC programs have recognised Carey's performance as good as his best ever. He seems to have recovered mobility.
And the CROWS worked out where to play him> HFflank. He was unstoppable as ever.

I could never understand the obsession with Carey.. he was a good player but not up with the greats. I think any prowess he had was recognised most when he was absent from the team (remember the adage that the Kangaroos couldn't win without Carey? It proved true on many occasions).

Meanwhile, speaking of the Kangas, that was a hammering they gave to Port.

And good on Carlton for putting up a good show in the latter part of the game - I'd bet on Brisbane to win by under 40 pts and Carlton did me proud by keeping under that margin ;)

Oepty
19-05-2004, 10:22 AM
one good performance doesnt make a great form reversal :eek:

But it is not one good performance, he was very good against Port as well. I think Carey's main problem this year has been the Crows midfield has been thrashed in a number of games and have given him hopeless delivery. His change of role means he is less reliant on getting good delivery.

starter good to see.

Bruce. What would a Queenslander know about Aussie Rules? ;)
As to the Kangas win, their strength is their midfield and that is where Port have been massacred with injuries so them winning was no surprise. The margin was a bit of a surprise though.
Scott

Alan Shore
19-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Bruce. What would a Queenslander know about Aussie Rules? ;)

A lot more than you, my friend. I played it for 7 years and it's been my favourite sport ever since I was little.

Alan Shore
05-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Woohoo!! What a fantastic win to Carlton over Adelaide today! Fevola's 7th goal put them in front by 4 points and they hung on for the victory!

Blues Blues Blues!

ursogr8
06-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Woohoo!! What a fantastic win to Carlton over Adelaide today! Fevola's 7th goal put them in front by 4 points and they hung on for the victory!

Blues Blues Blues!

All is revealed now.
The Pagan instruction for Blues v SAINTs was 'don't get involved team'...'just treat it like a weeks rest'.
Then we will be fresh for the Crows game.

Not a bad strategy. Gives you a chance to win half the games in the season.
:p
But the % will always be a worry.

starter

JGB
07-06-2004, 05:05 AM
here come the mighty Magpies... the race aint over yet!

Kevin Bonham
08-06-2004, 02:59 PM
I actually dreamt about football the night before last. I think this is the first time I have ever dreamt about football in my life, and I reckon it's one too many. I dreamt that I was playing for Essendon, who were twenty-odd points up against someone else, possibly Hawthorn. I managed to take a rather impresive mark in which I jumped backwards into the air and caught the ball just as it hit me on the back of the neck (??) but as in real life, I was utterly pathetic at kicking the ball and was starting to wonder what I was doing playing for an AFL side when I couldn't move the ball more than twenty metres at a time. Just thought I should share that with you all.

JGB
08-06-2004, 03:27 PM
I actually dreamt about football the night before last. I think this is the first time I have ever dreamt about football in my life, and I reckon it's one too many. I dreamt that I was playing for Essendon, who were twenty-odd points up against someone else, possibly Hawthorn. I managed to take a rather impresive mark in which I jumped backwards into the air and caught the ball just as it hit me on the back of the neck (??) but as in real life, I was utterly pathetic at kicking the ball and was starting to wonder what I was doing playing for an AFL side when I couldn't move the ball more than twenty metres at a time. Just thought I should share that with you all.

Nice dream, sounds like the sort of player who would get a game for Essendon! :lol:

Alan Shore
21-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Here come the Blues!! Carlton have won 3 in a row and are in striking sitance of the final 8, with a weakened Sydney to play in 2 weeks time after a week's rest. Fevola with 8 on the weekend, has kicked 21 goals int he past 3 games and is in with a strong chance of taking out the Coleman Medal.

Garvinator
22-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Here come the Blues!! Carlton have won 3 in a row and are in striking sitance of the final 8, with a weakened Sydney to play in 2 weeks time after a week's rest. Fevola with 8 on the weekend, has kicked 21 goals int he past 3 games and is in with a strong chance of taking out the Coleman Medal.
how do the blues go when fevola doesnt kick a big?

Alan Shore
22-06-2004, 11:52 AM
how do the blues go when fevola doesnt kick a big?

In answer to that question, better than Richmond go without Richardson :p

Garvinator
22-06-2004, 12:37 PM
In answer to that question, better than Richmond go without Richardson :p
dont you mean- better than richmond go :p

Alan Shore
22-06-2004, 12:42 PM
dont you mean- better than richmond go :p

Haha, that too :D

arosar
25-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Hey fellas. I need a favour from youse all.

Forget Rugby League or the Euro 2004 for the moment. Never mind AFL. (Anyways, Sydney will crush Collingwood). I want you to pray for the Wallabies so that they beat the England team. I mean, we haven't beaten these pommie bastards over the last 5 matches - including, of course, that horrible WC final. I still vividly recall meself standing there at the Rocks, in pouring rain, surrounded by this horrible English-drunk-to-the-eyeballs crowd. One of the f**k'in saddest experiences of me life!!

So pray for the Wallabies youse all!! A coupla Hail Mary's should do it.

AR

ursogr8
25-06-2004, 12:59 PM

Forget Rugby League or the Euro 2004 for the moment. Never mind AFL. (Anyways, Sydney will crush Collingwood). I want you to pray for the Wallabies so that they beat the England team. I mean, we haven't beaten these pommie bastards over the last 5 matches - including, of course, that horrible WC final. I still vividly recall meself standing there at the Rocks, in pouring rain, surrounded by this horrible English-drunk-to-the-eyeballs crowd. One of the f**k'in saddest experiences of me life!!

AR

AR
I know your heart is in the right place mate, but is your mind in gear when you write "pray for the Wallabies".
Isn't this the game made in Heaven, and they would be calling the shots? And, I don't think up there they make their mind up by taking a populist vote.

Whatever will be, will be.

starter

Rincewind
25-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Whatever will be, will be.

Just having a Doris Day moment?

ursogr8
25-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Just having a Doris Day moment?

No.
I thought if I mis-spelt what I really wanted to write (Ke Sara Sara) then Amiel would post again to correct that also. ;)

Rincewind
25-06-2004, 05:04 PM
No.
I thought if I mis-spelt what I really wanted to write (Ke Sara Sara) then Amiel would post again to correct that also. ;)

You will remember, no doubt that "Que Sara, Sara (whatever will be, will be)" Was a big hit in 50s for Doris Day. It was also the theme of the Doris Day Show from the late 60's/early 70's.

Alan Shore
25-06-2004, 05:35 PM

AR

My intitial reaction was to tell you to smeg off out of the AFL thread, but, I do hope the Wallabies can get up.. they should do it too now that Johnny 'Superboot' Wilkinson isn't playing ;)

arosar
25-06-2004, 06:14 PM
FMD! It's bloody 'que sera sera' OK?

Now just on this issue of foreign terms, ever wondered about the most untranslatable word in the world?

These guys have: http://www.todaytranslations.com/index.php/fuseaction/home.content/page/press

AR

Rincewind
25-06-2004, 08:03 PM

Bonus points if someone knows what movie it was originally from without googling the answer.

ursogr8
26-06-2004, 11:34 AM

AR

AR

Your response made me see clearly again; so I have just voted for BRISBANE.

Brisbane for premiers in 2004 and 2005, at least...in the AFL.

starter

ps Whatever will be, will be. :uhoh:

Rincewind
28-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Bonus points if someone knows what movie it was originally from without googling the answer.

In case anyone is losing sleep.

It was from the Hitchcock remake of his own film: The Man Who Knew Too Much - starring James Stewart and Doris Day.

Alan Shore
27-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Lions won by a whopping 141 points on the weekend over the Crows to take the top spot on the ladder! They're now clear favourites to make it 4 in a row and if thieir form continues history is in the making.

Schwab, Ayres and Frawley have all left their respective clubs with all three suffering damaging losses on the weekend. How much influence do you think a coach really has over a football side?

ursogr8
27-07-2004, 11:50 PM
How much influence do you think a coach really has over a football side?
An excellent question from BD, and deserving of a good answer.

Trizza
28-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Lions won by a whopping 141 points on the weekend over the Crows to take the top spot on the ladder! They're now clear favourites to make it 4 in a row and if thieir form continues history is in the making.

I'd say the Lions are favourites, but not clear favourites. Melbourne and Port Adelaide are not to be discounted (St Kilda though doesn't seem too scary away from Telstra Dome), and Adelaide aren't exactly going well atm.

Despite the big win, several key Brisbane players (Charman and Leppitsch) suffered potentially severe injuries. Brisbane have 3 top ruckmen (Charman, Keating and McDonald) but they are all injured and this could be a real worry. Jonathan Brown remains a hot head despite his brilliant ability, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got suspended again once he returns from his current suspension.

Nevertheless, if I was placing a bet I'd still back Brisbane.

Garvinator
28-07-2004, 06:49 PM
I'd say the Lions are favourites, but not clear favourites. Melbourne and Port Adelaide are not to be discounted (St Kilda though doesn't seem too scary away from Telstra Dome), and Adelaide aren't exactly going well atm.

Despite the big win, several key Brisbane players (Charman and Leppitsch) suffered potentially severe injuries. Brisbane have 3 top ruckmen (Charman, Keating and McDonald) but they are all injured and this could be a real worry. Jonathan Brown remains a hot head despite his brilliant ability, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got suspended again once he returns from his current suspension.

Nevertheless, if I was placing a bet I'd still back Brisbane.
i would say the biggest factor is who has to play who away in the finals. If both west coast and freo make it and they get home finals, that could shake things up quite a bit. Also the mcg finals agreement will make things difficult for those non vic sides who finish third or fourth and should have a home final in the second or prelim finals.

ursogr8
28-07-2004, 09:48 PM
How much influence do you think a coach really has over a football side?

The WOODS lost 9 grand finals straight. (Obviously not consecutive years, but spread over 1959-1989 from memory). Obviously a cultural problem in the Club itself.
Along comes a coach from the outside, and he breaks the drought by winning the Cup. Are you convinced BD?

13 years later the same coach has taken a basket case to winning 3 Cups in a row.

Did this coach make a difference BD?

starter

eclectic
28-07-2004, 09:52 PM
The WOODS lost 9 grand finals straight.
starter

remember they drew the 1977 one before losing the replay

eclectic

ursogr8
28-07-2004, 10:30 PM
remember they drew the 1977 one before losing the replay

eclectic

eclectic, MATe
Welcome to the thread.

I did count two for that year. Both counted as losses. Look at the WOODS faces after both in that year, and tell me they are not both losses.

starter

Alan Shore
29-07-2004, 12:03 AM
eclectic, MATe
Welcome to the thread.

I did count two for that year. Both counted as losses. Look at the WOODS faces after both in that year, and tell me they are not both losses.

starter

Well I dunno, they were of course six points down before Twiggy Dunn's goal.

The WOODS lost 9 grand finals straight. (Obviously not consecutive years, but spread over 1959-1989 from memory). Obviously a cultural problem in the Club itself.
Along comes a coach from the outside, and he breaks the drought by winning the Cup. Are you convinced BD?

13 years later the same coach has taken a basket case to winning 3 Cups in a row.

Did this coach make a difference BD?

Absolutely. Keep in mind the Lions had just picked up the wooden spoon with caretaker coach Roger Merrett. Matthews comes on the scene and well, the rest is history. However in other instances there have been things beyond the coach's control - primarily injuries and boardroom disputes. Other factors involve the coach's ability to adapt - some coaches may only work well with star players but can be at a total loss when taking over a cellar dweller.

PHAT
29-07-2004, 12:39 AM
To answer the thread question: A bunch of footy players. Who cares :rolleyes:

Alan Shore
29-07-2004, 12:41 AM
To answer the thread question: A bunch of footy players. Who cares :rolleyes:

If you don't care, FO.

Garvinator
29-07-2004, 12:54 AM
If you don't care, FO.
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

PHAT
29-07-2004, 01:14 AM
If you don't care, FO.

Exactly what I intend, so, FY.

Alan Shore
29-07-2004, 02:02 AM
TFC Matthew, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Meanwhile, on the subject of coaches..

Coach scrutiny 'out of control': Thompson
4:39:51 PM Wed 28 July, 2004
Paul Gough

Mark Thompson believes the pressure on AFL coaches is "out of control" adding if it wasn't for the support of Cats' chief executive Brian Cook and president Frank Costa he would not be coaching.

Thompson, who is enjoying his best season as an AFL coach, began his coaching career in Geelong in 2000 - the same year as Gary Ayres began his stint in Adelaide and Hawthorn's Peter Schwab and Richmond's Danny Frawley began their careers.

All three have been sacked this season, although Frawley remains at Punt Road in a caretaker capacity until the end of the season, while there is constant focus over the future of Peter Rohde at the Western Bulldogs.

And Thompson believes the scrutiny on AFL coaches has gone way too far.

"It's out of control footy, totally out of control," Thompson said in a rare public outburst at Skilled Stadium on Wednesday, as the Cats prepared for Sunday's eagerly-awaited home clash with St Kilda.

When asked between the difference in support he had enjoyed at Geelong, compared to what Ayres, Frawley and Schwab received, Thompson admits he is lucky.

"It's the very reason why I am here," he said.

"The pressure on some clubs is enormous and I donít think people realise how hard it would be for those people at those footy clubs to go about their work at the moment."

Thompson, in contrast, has constantly being told he has a long-term future at Geelong - regardless of the club's results.

Despite making the finals just once in his first four years in charge - the same record as Frawley but worse than both Schwab and Ayres - Thompson was given a contract extension until the end of 2005 last year.

That was despite the Cats having just four wins from 14 matches at the time, on the way to a 12th-placed finish - with just seven wins and a draw for the season.

And when the Cats were thrashed in the first two games of this season, there was plenty of talk the club had acted too hastily in agreeing to guarantee Thompson until the end of 2005.

But since then the former Essendon captain has revived Geelong to such an extent that they have won ten of their past 12 games - with the two losses being by less than a kick - to sit fifth on the ladder.

And Thompson says he could not have achieved such a turnaround without the knowledge he wasn't fighting to save his job - thanks to the support of Cook and Costa.

"We were under as much pressure as anyone at the start of the year but we got through it with a united effort," he said.

"We were very lucky we held it together."

But when asked if that was due to the better leadership the Cats had, compared to other clubs, thanks to Cook and Costa - Thompson was in no doubt.

"I think we have (got better club leaders) and I think we are lucky," he said.

ursogr8
31-07-2004, 11:10 PM
31 July 2004. Not a BLUE MOON, but the results look like they come from there.

Brisbane........down to Swanees
Bombers .......intimidate the Power.
Carlton .........folds its tent

All of this is goodness.

starter

Rincewind
31-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Sorry about replying off topic. I just love getting the first post of a new page. ;)

Brian_Jones
01-08-2004, 09:43 AM
And its a hatrick for the Swans - having beaten the Lions in 2002 and 2003!

Alan Shore
01-08-2004, 04:02 PM

I think you're conveniently forgetting a little thing called the 2003 Preliminary Final :P

Kevin Bonham
01-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Extrovert Tassie (and former Federal) politician Michael "The Mouth From The South" Hodgman has been gloating about how he was able, earlier this year, to put money on his beloved Geelong in three bets of 100-1, 80-1 and 70-1.

I imagine he is even more insufferable today.

Garvinator
08-08-2004, 05:32 PM
terrible news from the swans. their head trainer passed away during the final quarter of the game against the roos while being on the sidelines of the ground:(

Trizza
10-08-2004, 11:36 PM
terrible news from the swans. their head trainer passed away during the final quarter of the game against the roos while being on the sidelines of the ground:(

Condolences to his family and also the Sydney team.

But to keep this thread on a positive note, the mighty Eagles are coming into form just at the right time :D

Garvinator
10-08-2004, 11:43 PM
more non victorian sides in the finals the better :D six would be a good number but dont like the odds on adelaide ;)

:hmm: a preliminary final at the mcg involving west coast v fremantle, i love it :D

Trizza
11-08-2004, 12:08 AM
more non victorian sides in the finals the better :D six would be a good number but dont like the odds on adelaide ;)

:hmm: a preliminary final at the mcg involving west coast v fremantle, i love it :D

No guarantee the Dockers will make it after their dismal effort against Collingwood. They still have to travel to Geelong and St Kilda.

Knowing the Eagles luck, they will win their last 3 games, finish 6th... and play Essendon / Kangaroos at the MCG under the (quote Andrew Demetriou) 'fair' contract.

ursogr8
26-08-2004, 09:12 AM

I have changed my mind, again.
The finals are a three-horse race between Brisbane, St Kilda, and Sydney, in my view.

arosar
26-08-2004, 09:28 AM
If the Finals is between two Gringo teams, will the grand finale still be in Mexico?

AR

Alan Shore
26-08-2004, 10:26 PM
I have changed my mind, again.
The finals are a three-horse race between Brisbane, St Kilda, and Sydney, in my view.

Sydney? Haha, now that's a laugh and a half - they won't be able to win away from home.

The real contenders are Brisbane, St Kilda, Port and Geelong, just as the ladder says. Hoping for four in a row from the Lions!

Alan Shore
26-08-2004, 10:27 PM
If the Finals is between two Gringo teams, will the grand finale still be in Mexico?

AR

That's correct Amiel, Grand Final is always played at the MCG.

ursogr8
26-08-2004, 10:40 PM

Just like the Sydney test match is played at the SCG.
Just like the Australian OPEN (tennis) is always played at Flinders Park.
Just like the Bledisloe Cup is always played wherever they think there is a crowd who will not remember the previous.

starter

arosar
27-08-2004, 09:07 AM

Well, that's disgraceful! Why couldn't be in Perth or Adelaide or Brissie or Sydney? Those AFL mob are dumb. It's the only true national footy league but they've still got their heads stuck in the sand.

AR

Alan Shore
27-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Well, that's disgraceful! Why couldn't be in Perth or Adelaide or Brissie or Sydney? Those AFL mob are dumb. It's the only true national footy league but they've still got their heads stuck in the sand.

AR

Well aside from tradition it's really an atmosphere and numbers thing... the Gabba can only hold just over 40,000 whereas the GF regularly draws 90,000+ crowds.

Garvinator
27-08-2004, 09:58 AM

AR
no team has expressed a problem with playing the grand final at the mcg, but the preliminary final, now that is a different matter :hand:

ursogr8
27-08-2004, 10:04 AM

AR

Do the arith. AR

Stadium Australia holds 85,000
MCG holds 95,000
At $100/ticket (at least), the difference in revenue is
100 x 10,000 = $1,000,000

Say no more.

starter

arosar
27-08-2004, 10:16 AM
So? That's 100K in one day. What about the long term benefit of an exciting game on home turf in the Gringo states? I've never been to an AFL game, but if it's the Swans in the GF at Telstra Stadium - mate, I'm there!

AR

ursogr8
27-08-2004, 11:08 AM
So? That's 100K in one day. What about the long term benefit of an exciting game on home turf in the Gringo states? I've never been to an AFL game, but if it's the Swans in the GF at Telstra Stadium - mate, I'm there!

AR
Wrong, and
Wrong ...........AR

That is a million dollars in one day...not $100k

And the GF is not for theatre-goers who would like to jump to the head of the queue.
Mate, you have to earn your right to a GF. You have to stand in the Animal Cage at Moorabbin on a wet day with a sinister sky. You have to stand at the wrong end on a windy day at Windy Hill. You have to sit for 2 hours in the carpark at Princes Park before you can even move into the exit lane. You have to lose your car at WAVERLEY carpark and then wait for an hour till enough cars clear so that you can see yours.
You have to do the hard-yards to have the right to a GF attendance.
Come back when you have done all this, and then we will put you in the ballot for tickets.

starter
(ps.......and when your name finally comes out in the ballot, just hope that the SWANS are in that GF. Amiel, mate, we are talking about a best-seller here.......is the concept foreign to UNIONisers?)

Alan Shore
27-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Woohoo!! What a game tonight!!! Carlton over the Pies by 1 point! What suspense! What an ending!

Just more evidence this is the greatest game in the world!

We, are, the Navy Blues,
We are the old, dark, Navy Blues!

:D

Garvinator
27-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Woohoo!! What a game tonight!!! Carlton over the Pies by 1 point! What suspense! What an ending!

We, are, the Navy Blues,

boo boo hiss hiss- come on bruce, that is no way to speak when you live in brisbane, now repeat after me, WE ARE THE PRIDE OF BRISBANE TOWN :P :P :P

Alan Shore
27-08-2004, 10:46 PM
boo boo hiss hiss- come on bruce, that is no way to speak when you live in brisbane, now repeat after me, WE ARE THE PRIDE OF BRISBANE TOWN :P :P :P

Haha. Well now Carlton have finished the season, I'll be behind the Lions 100% to take out a 4th consecutive flag! :cool:

ursogr8
27-08-2004, 11:18 PM

We, are, the Navy Blues,

BD

You get a bonus point if you can name the Carlton President, and the famous quote that goes with 1 point wins against the WOODS.

starter

Alan Shore
28-08-2004, 05:02 PM
BD

You get a bonus point if you can name the Carlton President, and the famous quote that goes with 1 point wins against the WOODS.

starter

I know the President is Ian Collins but don't know of any quote? Doh! What was it?

ursogr8
28-08-2004, 11:10 PM
I know the President is Ian Collins but don't know of any quote? Doh! What was it?

BD

Current President is who you named.
But the bonus point went for knowing that George Harris said one Sunday morning "What is better than beating Collingwood in a Grand Final? Why, beating them by 1 point in a Grand Final."
This remark earned Carlton the enmity of half the fair football population of Melbourne, ptobably in perpituity given Big Jack's later arrogance too.

Chance for you to redeem for another bonus point. What was George Harris' occupation?

starter

ursogr8
30-08-2004, 08:45 AM

AR

Amiel

The AFL have yielded to the logic of allowing 80,000 sin-city-siders to watch the SWANS v West Coast next week-end. The match is now scheduled for your stadium of choice. Do you know how to get there, metro-man?

Be there.

starter

ursogr8
30-08-2004, 08:50 AM

We, are, the Navy Blues,

Incidentally, did anyone notice the crowd numbers at this game 11th versus 13th? Neither side playing for any joy except bragging rights over the summer in a last round game.
Crowd was in excess of 60,000. They turned people away at the gate. Folk who had caught a train from Lilydale and travelled for an hour, walked for 10 minutes, grumbled about the lock-out, and then had to trudge off home. They can't wait till the stands are re-built and we can seat 100,000.

starter

arosar
30-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Amiel

The AFL have yielded to the logic of allowing 80,000 sin-city-siders to watch the SWANS v West Coast next week-end. The match is now scheduled for your stadium of choice. Do you know how to get there, metro-man?

Of course I do!

And at last - some sanity amongst those stupid traditionalists.

AR

ursogr8
30-08-2004, 01:15 PM
For the 8 folk who voted at the start of this thread for SOCCER (as the future of football in Australia) I have two sets of trivia questions.

1 At the week-end, the Bulleen Zebras were locked at what score against the Altona Magic at the end of full-time? What was the score at the end of the extra time? Finally, how many saves did Michael Theoklitis make in the penalty shoot-out; and who won the Grand Final.

2 Now, going up a grade >> who won the national soccer league games on the week-end.

starter

Alan Shore
31-08-2004, 06:16 AM
For Amiel's benefit: AFL Finals system, regarding venue.

Week One-- If the clubs finishing first, second, fifth and sixth are non-Victorian, the elimination final involving the sixth placed club will be played at the MCG. If a Victorian-based club finishes in first, second, fifth or sixth spot, its final will be played at the MCG.

Week Two -- If the highest ranked clubs are both non-Victorian, they will earn the right to host a semi-final in their home state. If a Victorian club qualifies to host a semi-final, that match will be played at the MCG.

Week Three -- If the highest ranked clubs reaching the preliminary finals are both non-Victorian, the number one ranked club will host the preliminary final in its home state. The lower ranked club will play its preliminary final at the MCG. If the highest ranked club reaching the preliminary final is a Victorian club, that game will be scheduled at the MCG and the lowest ranked club would then earn the right to host a preliminary final in their home state.

Week Four -- Grand Final at the MCG.

ursogr8
05-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Of course I do!

And at last - some sanity amongst those stupid traditionalists.

AR
Hey Mr. Amiel Theatregoer

Did you get to attend the SWANS demolition of the West Coast Eagles last night?

Btw, I hope you guys have got a stadium with a roof that closes, given that your weather can intervene. On the off chance the Bombers get to play the SWANS we will not want to lower our skill standards from what we can show-off at Docklands.

starter

Alan Shore
05-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Well, after Friday night I think it's pretty clear who the big favourites are.. Brisbane crushed St Kilda completely. Up by 100 pts at one stage..

I picked the Swans winning, I didn't pick Essendon sneaking home aginst Melbourne, was a thrilling game that one. As for today, I'll tip yet another Port-choke with Geelong getting up.

ursogr8
05-09-2004, 09:12 AM
BD
You said previously that
Sydney? Haha, now that's a laugh and a half - they won't be able to win away from home.

The real contenders are Brisbane, St Kilda, Port and Geelong, just as the ladder says. Hoping for four in a row from the Lions!

I voted for Brisbane on 20 June.
They just tore the confidence out of Essendon for a month after that.

Now you say

Well, after Friday night I think it's pretty clear who the big favourites are.. Brisbane crushed St Kilda completely. Up by 100 pts at one stage..

I picked the Swans winning, I didn't pick Essendon sneaking home aginst Melbourne, was a thrilling game that one. As for today, I'll tip yet another Port-choke with Geelong getting up.

The SWANS have beaten the Lions 3 out of the past 4 outings. Don't write them off.

starter

Alan Shore
05-09-2004, 09:39 AM
BD

I voted for Brisbane on 20 June.
They just tore the confidence out of Essendon for a month after that.

The SWANS have beaten the Lions 3 out of the past 4 outings. Don't write them off.

starter

I see no contradiction in what I have said both times. The Swans will have difficulty winning away from home, as I said, particularly against a St Kilda team at Telstra Dome. The big factor of course is psychological; the Saints have to recover from the battering they were given on Friday night.

Finals footy is a different thing too, the intensity really lifts.. we all saw the Swans 4th quarter capitulation last year.

Garvinator
05-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Hey Mr. Amiel Theatregoer

Btw, I hope you guys have got a stadium with a roof that closes, given that your weather can intervene. On the off chance the Bombers get to play the SWANS we will not want to lower our skill standards from what we can show-off at Docklands.

starter
sorry to say starter, but a swans/ bombers game would be played at the mcg, not telstra dome. Another example of how crap the mcg agreement is, even essendon and st kilda get shafted by it.

Garvinator
05-09-2004, 11:47 AM
As for today, I'll tip yet another Port-choke with Geelong getting up.
yes, a port-choke gets brisbane a home prelim ;) if port wins against geelong, any chance of brisbane v sydney at the mcg :owned:

Alan Shore
05-09-2004, 12:58 PM
yes, a port-choke gets brisbane a home prelim ;) if port wins against geelong, any chance of brisbane v sydney at the mcg :owned:

Only in the GF, they won't meet in the Prelims. Will be interesting to see if we can get an all-interstate GF for the first time.. ;)

Garvinator
05-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Only in the GF, they won't meet in the Prelims. Will be interesting to see if we can get an all-interstate GF for the first time.. ;)
home preliminary final for Port Adelaide, Brisbane will have to travel to mcg for their home preliminary final. At least the construction teams that are going to put the wrecking ball through the gabba social club will be happy now that they can start tomorrow :owned:

ursogr8
05-09-2004, 05:39 PM
sorry to say starter, but a swans/ bombers game would be played at the mcg, not telstra dome. Another example of how crap the mcg agreement is, even essendon and st kilda get shafted by it.

gg''

I can see that I will have to start using emoticons in any posts that you are likely to read :doh: ; they serve as additional sign-posts to intent. On this occasion it was a razz over Sydney weather; not a comment on the venue of a SWANS-Bombers game.

starter

Garvinator
05-09-2004, 06:47 PM
gg''

I can see that I will have to start using emoticons in any posts that you are likely to read :doh: ; they serve as additional sign-posts to intent. On this occasion it was a razz over Sydney weather; not a comment on the venue of a SWANS-Bombers game.

starter
yes emoticons would help :P

PHAT
05-09-2004, 09:29 PM
I cannot believe that this banal thread, a monument to ennui, testamony to unconsciousness, and embarassment to humanity, is still being used by the brain dead to communicate nothing worth communicating to the brainless.

Alan Shore
05-09-2004, 10:09 PM
I cannot believe that this banal thread, a monument to ennui, testamony to unconsciousness, and embarassment to humanity, is still being used by the brain dead to communicate nothing worth communicating to the brainless.

Didn't we already have an agreement that you would FO out of this thread?

PHAT
05-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Didn't we already have an agreement that you would FO out of this thread?

Sorry, forgot. :cool:

Alan Shore
05-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Sorry, forgot. :cool:

Damn straight! :owned:

Rincewind
05-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Damn straight! :owned:

Matt did make a good oberservation though. ;)

Rhubarb
05-09-2004, 11:39 PM
You 'Gong boys just can't stand a thread where even we Sydneysiders get to put our two cents in occasionally.

*Go the Swannies!!*

*The weather's not usually this abysmal up here!!*

Garvinator
05-09-2004, 11:54 PM
You 'Gong boys just can't stand a thread where even we Sydneysiders get to put our two cents in occasionally.

*Go the Swannies!!*

and most of the time the weather is better in sydney than melbourne ;) but not as good as brisbane :owned:

ursogr8
06-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Matt did make a good oberservation though. ;)

Listen mate. You accepted the job of moderator without negotiating the quality of posts you would have to read. So you are stuck with the deal while you accept the commission.........long may you reign.
But you don't have to editorialise. That is optional.

Ah. I feel better having said that instead of BD's two letter acronym. :uhoh:

starter

ursogr8
12-09-2004, 08:36 AM

*Go the Swannies!!*

Ouch
I made two incorrect predictions this week-end. Backed the Bombers and the SWANS,,,,but
The SAINTers recover to beat the SWANS.
And
The Cats recover to run the BOMBERS out of town.

How to improve my predictions?
Perhaps the secret is in the fact that the remaining four teams finished 1,2,3,4 at the end of the Home-and-Away season. Perhaps ladder position is All after so many rounds.

starter

ursogr8
12-09-2004, 11:43 AM

Matt

Just for the record. What sort of content did you expect on a thread that was called Who will win the 2004 AFL Premiership?
Or, more simply, why are you reading here?

starter

antichrist
12-09-2004, 12:11 PM
As a NSW person brought up on league, AFL had absolutely no attraction. It just did not have the grunt, the contact, the hard yards as HG would say. It is not the real thing. Like the Prodos compared to the RCC. Like Pepsi to Coka Cola. Like Matt to Bill.

ursogr8
12-09-2004, 12:16 PM
As a NSW person brought up on league, AFL had absolutely no attraction. It just did not have the grunt, the contact, the hard yards as HG would say. It is not the real thing. Like the Prodos compared to the RCC. Like Pepsi to Coka Cola. Like Matt to Bill.

So how come you are reading here buddy?

BTW, liked your piece on peace broke out in the land. Particularly the line about wives.

Rhubarb
12-09-2004, 12:26 PM
The SAINTers recover to beat the SWANS.

Yes a bad Friday night for the red-and-whites. Penrith pipped St. George 31-30 and two upets in the other finals means we're gone.

Alan Shore
12-09-2004, 01:13 PM

'Everything is proceeding as I have forseen' - Emperor Palpatine

Bill Gletsos
12-09-2004, 01:51 PM

And we all know what happened to the emperor in the end. :owned:

ursogr8
12-09-2004, 07:36 PM

hi Mr a/c joint

No attraction eh.

I tuned in this arvo to a replay of Bulldogs v some Qld northerners and the commentator's decibel level stopped my channel surfing in its tracks. What could get the commentator so enthused about rugby, I wondered.

Apparently this little guy, Matt Sing I think he was called, was catching the ball high in the air. And even more remarkable, he did it a few times in the game.

Just check your quote above that I have bolded.
Still say there is no attraction for the people's game a/c?

starter

ursogr8
12-09-2004, 07:37 PM

And now (that) the end is near; you say who wins >>

Alan Shore
12-09-2004, 09:39 PM
And now (that) the end is near; you say who wins >>

Brisbane Lions. I thought that would have been obvious from my above post. Also if you go right back to the start of the thread, my initial vote was for Brisbane.

Let's go, four in a row!

ursogr8
12-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Brisbane Lions. I thought that would have been obvious from my above post. Also if you go right back to the start of the thread, my initial vote was for Brisbane.

Let's go, four in a row!

BD.......I have agreed with these.
What about your intermediate prediction?

SAINTers v Power

starter

Alan Shore
12-09-2004, 11:14 PM
BD.......I have agreed with these.
What about your intermediate prediction?

SAINTers v Power

starter

If you had of asked me a week ago, there was no doubt about the Power. However St Kilda impressed me against Sydney.

I want St Kilda to win and will be cheering them on, however I think the Power will prove to be too strong. Their intensity against Geelong was incredible and with another home final I think it may be too tough an ask.

Alan Shore
12-09-2004, 11:24 PM
how did st kilda impress you against geelong, they havent played each other in the finals :eek:

I think you'll find I said Sydney!

(after the edit)

antichrist
13-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by antichrist

hi Mr a/c joint

No attraction eh.

I tuned in this arvo to a replay of Bulldogs v some Qld northerners and the commentator's decibel level stopped my channel surfing in its tracks. What could get the commentator so enthused about rugby, I wondered.

Apparently this little guy, Matt Sing I think he was called, was catching the ball high in the air. And even more remarkable, he did it a few times in the game.

Just check your quote above that I have bolded.
Still say there is no attraction for the people's game a/c?

starter
-_______________________________________
AC:

I don't consider it special when they catch in the air. What is special is when big Artie Beetson carries three defenders with him over the line. When Changa comes in from full-back and sidesteps them all. When Tommy R gives them the thump in the scrum and starts a free-for-all. When my cousin back-door-Benny throws the dummy and fools all of Broncos etc. etc.

You must realise AFL was only invented so that the cricketers would have a gentle game in which they would not hurt themself in off season or to keep fit. A girl's game.

Garvinator
13-09-2004, 12:20 PM
learn to quote moron.

ursogr8
13-09-2004, 12:22 PM
-_______________________________________
AC:

I don't consider it special when they catch in the air. What is special is when big Artie Beetson carries three defenders with him over the line. When Changa comes in from full-back and sidesteps them all. When Tommy R gives them the thump in the scrum and starts a free-for-all. When my cousin back-door-Benny throws the dummy and fools all of Broncos etc. etc.

You must realise AFL was only invented so that the cricketers would have a gentle game in which they would not hurt themself in off season or to keep fit. A girl's game.

_

On the week-end 11,12 September 2004
SYDNEY TV viewing of football

463,000 for the Penrith v St George Ill. final

612,000 for the St Kilda v Sydney final

Even in their home market there is a shortage of viewers for rugby. :confused:

starter

antichrist
13-09-2004, 12:22 PM
learn to quote moron.

What did moron say so he/she can be quoted?

Moron says learn to punctuate(?)

antichrist
13-09-2004, 12:35 PM
On the week-end 11,12 September 2004
SYDNEY TV viewing of football

463,000 for the Penrith v St George Ill. final

612,000 for the St Kilda v Sydney final

Even in their home market there is a shortage of viewers for rugby. :confused:

starter

Virtually totally irrelevant. Look at Pauline Hanson's massive support in heyday. Yet she was the most lacklustre performer in history of Aussie politics. Look at Jesus' support -- and he didn't even exist to play on the wing for Manly.

ursogr8
13-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Virtually totally irrelevant. Look at Pauline Hanson's massive support in heyday. Yet she was the most lacklustre performer in history of Aussie politics. Look at Jesus' support -- and he didn't even exist to play on the wing for Manly.

I have got to hand it to you a/c. When it comes to ignoring the evidence you have got top billing on this BB.
So, crowd numbers don't convince you. TV-watching numbers don't convince you.
Good luck to you mate. Rugby league needs your type of follower. You are a gem. Who do you support btw?

starter

antichrist
13-09-2004, 01:20 PM
I have got to hand it to you a/c. When it comes to ignoring the evidence you have got top billing on this BB.
So, crowd numbers don't convince you. TV-watching numbers don't convince you.
Good luck to you mate. Rugby league needs your type of follower. You are a gem. Who do you support btw?

starter

When Benny stopped playing I virtually stopped watching, only the Grand Finals now-a-days. I will watch some fantastic player rather than a team. Same in cricket I will watch Warne bowl and only the very top bat. Also in tennis will only watch the very top and only if playing well.

antichrist
17-09-2004, 05:42 PM
To draw an analogy between AFL and the rugby codes and chess it goes like this. It would be like playing chess with only pawns on board and bishops, and all white's bishops would be on white squares and black's bishops on black squares, so they would never clash.

Alan Shore
18-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Well it's two interstate teams into the Grand Final, again in line with my predictions. Geelong and St. Kilda both showed tremendous ability in their preliminary final games though, I'm sure few thought the results would be so close. It should prove to be a cracker of a game next week, go the Lions!

Kevin Bonham
18-09-2004, 11:15 PM
I don't watch a lot of football but I was holed up in a hostel in Launceston with nothing better to do last night and I thought the Port - St Kilda game was an absolute ripper to watch.

Trizza
19-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Agreed. The Brisbane - Geelong match also had me on the edge of my seat.

Brisbane seem to be on their last legs but this was also the case last year when Collingwood got thrashed :D

Should be a worthy grand final at the neutral MCG - I can't pick a winner at this stage.

Kaitlin
25-09-2004, 02:42 PM
**Feigns interest** ...Go Port Power yay **wave very little flag** :rolleyes:

Alan Shore
25-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Sigh.. we couldn't make it 4 in a row.. congrats to Port, they were the better team on the day. The only positive is the Port song is kind of catchy, heh.

Rincewind
25-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Sigh.. we couldn't make it 4 in a row.. congrats to Port, they were the better team on the day. The only positive is the Port song is kind of catchy, heh.

Was it on today? Must have missed it.

Alan Shore
25-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Was it on today? Must have missed it.

GF Barry. :P

Garvinator
25-09-2004, 05:28 PM
now we shall see how good the support for the lions really is in brisbane. I suspect that some of the lions players will leave now and chase bigger money contracts elsewhere. Wonder what happens then with eddie everywhere's complaints of the salary cap allowance.

I also wonder when collingwood is going to travel interstate every second week, you know, level playing field and all. :wall:

Rincewind
25-09-2004, 06:24 PM
GF Barry. :P

Hey, I was being serious. I didn't listen to radio or watch TV at all today and was blissfully unaware that it was being played until I saw your message. I was vaguely aware it was on this weekend from earlier in the week when I was talking to a guy who was planning a trip to Melbourne during mid-session break but changed his mind when he spoke to a travel agent. But that had long since slipped my mind.

I guess the RL final must be on sometime soon too.

Can I lock this thread now? Surely any post must be officially off-topic now. ;)

ursogr8
25-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Can I lock this thread now? Surely any post must be officially off-topic now. ;)

You lock this thread mate and you will be off-colour.
This is just about the best thread here that Matt and Bill don't visit.

ursogr8
26-09-2004, 09:30 AM
now we shall see how good the support for the lions really is in brisbane. I suspect that some of the lions players will leave now and chase bigger money contracts elsewhere.

With my 20-20 hindsight I can now see the obvious that
> Port Adelaide are a very good side, and
>> were very angry about letting slip the opportunities of 2002 and 2003.

Similarly, in 2000, Essendon had a good side, and were very angry about letting 1999 slip.

This provokes the question, for 2004,
> which team had a good side, AND
>> now feels angry enough about the missed opportunity of 2004, to be a super-contender in 2005?

Any?

starter

Garvinator
26-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Similarly, in 2000, Essendon had a good side, and were very angry about letting 1999 slip.
they shouldnt have worried about 99, carlton were only a 1.5 million dollar better side :doh:

ursogr8
26-09-2004, 10:05 AM
they shouldnt have worried about 99, carlton were only a 1.5 million dollar better side :doh:

gg''
Actually, exceeding 'average' salary caps (illegally <=Carlton> or legal <=Brisbane>), has been subject to analysis recently in the Melbourne Press.
There is plenty of evidence to show that those teams paying the most in some years have ended near the bottom of the ladder. There seems to be remarkably little correlation overall.
Perhaps what we are talking about here is the difference between a 'necessary' condition and a 'sufficient' condition.

starter

Garvinator
26-09-2004, 06:49 PM
gg''
Actually, exceeding 'average' salary caps (illegally <=Carlton> or legal <=Brisbane>), has been subject to analysis recently in the Melbourne Press.

why did you choose brisbane for legal when sydney have the highest legal salary cap of all?

ursogr8
26-09-2004, 08:03 PM
why did you choose brisbane for legal when sydney have the highest legal salary cap of all?

Because post #137 raised the point about Brisbane. Your post btw.