PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a player to study

wibble wobble
05-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a player I could study that played 1. d4? Most of the greats played e4 so I'm not sure who to choose...

Garrett
05-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Kasparov, Botvinnik, Alekhine are some names that spring to mind.

Ian Rout
05-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Kramnik (who sometimes starts with 1.c4 or 1.Nf3 but transposes to d4 openings). In fact the most recent World Championship featured exclusively d4 openings.

Also Petrosian, Rubinstein, Capablanca.

Many (most?) top players play both e4 and d4.

Denis_Jessop
05-03-2007, 09:45 AM
If you are thinking of studying the games of just one player to find out ways of playing 1.d4 openings, you should also consider the style of the player and whether it fits your preference. For example, of the players Petrosian, Rubinstein and Capablanca mentioned by Ian, Capa has a very classical positional style as does Rubinstein and both are worth study in any case. On the other hand, Petrosian is very intricate, subtle and complex in his games. None of them except perhaps Rubinstein was a particularly attacking player. But that is not to say that 1.d4 games don't lead to attacking play by White.

DJ

tanc
05-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a player I could study that played 1. d4? Most of the greats played e4 so I'm not sure who to choose...

I can't believe no one knows about him. One of the greatest 1.d4 players is Svetozar Gligoric.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=15349

Be it the Grunfeld, KID, QID, Old-Indian, Benoni, Nimzo Indian, Bogo Indian, Benko, QGD, QGA, Queen Pawn, Slav, Semi-Slav.... he has took them all on.

His 50 year list of scalps include Tartakower, Najdorf, Botvinnik, Euwe, Petrosian, Taimanov, Benko, Larsen, Keres, Smyslov, Fischer, Averbakh, Ulf Andersson....

A more recent 1.d4 player that springs to mind is Boris Gelfand.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=13847

McTaggart
12-03-2007, 12:11 AM
wibble-wobble,if you want to study d4 games get a copy of Frank Marshall 50 best games and enjoy