PDA

View Full Version : "I am the one."

The_Soviet
03-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Sir, with all due respect, you have only been playing for three years, and you have never beat a grandmaster in your life.
I am one of the few people that believe, perhaps too highly, in my own potential. I don't know, I could be leading myself down a path of death, into which I never return. But, I have been studying chess far more than anything, so that I can become a top GM, perhaps US champion. I love chess, and I am alright at it. Plus, chess is the only thing I've ever felt completely comfortable with...I don't feel comfortable much studying psychology, or studying algebra. With chess, I feel right where I belong. And yet, knowing I could fail miserably, I can't give up. So, people here of the forum, I need all the help I can get, psychologically or chess related!

Basil
03-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I think this is one post too many. It's time to leave the building ;) Or perhaps a parachute cord would be more to your liking.

The_Soviet
03-03-2007, 06:27 PM
I think this is one post too many. It's time to leave the building ;) Or perhaps a parachute cord would be more to your liking.I don't understand. I thought this for whoever wanted to join. Are you racist or something? Because I am racist, too, against Americans. My own race, I despise.

Basil
03-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Only 'special cases' are prohibited. You're as American as my aunt Beatrice.

The_Soviet
03-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Only 'special cases' are prohibited. You're as American as my aunt Beatrice.
What about Swedes? Can I join if I'm Swedish? I can speak a little Swedish...:(

Basil
03-03-2007, 06:37 PM
My wife is Swedish, which is an odd coincidence.

The_Soviet
03-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Talar du svenska?

Garvinator
03-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Swedish wife who speaks Spanish. Have to go a long way too see that combination ;)

Trent Parker
03-03-2007, 11:58 PM
anyones welcome mr soviet :D except spammers.

Basil
04-03-2007, 12:55 AM
anyones welcome mr soviet :D except spammers.
And hydras and slugs.

I AM THE ONE
Of that I have no doubt whatsoever.

Sir, with all due respect, you have only been playing for three years, and you have never beat a grandmaster in your life.
To whom are you talking? How do you know how long they've been playing and who they have or haven't played against :doh: You'd been on this board an hour when you said that, you obvious bonehead.

I am one of the few people that believe, perhaps too highly, in my own potential.
For sure. I've witnessed the evidence first hand.

I don't know, I could be leading myself down a path of death, into which I never return.
You should be used to it by now.

I need all the help I can get, psychologically or chess related!
You're not kidding.

ER
04-03-2007, 01:09 AM
you have never beat a grandmaster in your life.

... he was never beaten by a chessboard over the head either! :)
Cheers and good luck Garrik

Basil
04-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Garrik? The only Garrik I know is on Star Trek :eek:

ER
04-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Garrik? The only Garrik I know is on Star Trek :eek:

That's Kaspar's real name Howie! He definitely wasn't baptised as Garry! :)
Cheers and good luck

ER
04-03-2007, 01:41 AM
I think its Garik with one R though!
Correct me if i am wrong :)
Cheers and good luck!

ER
04-03-2007, 01:43 AM
There is some more info

Garik Kasparov (1963-?)
World Champion 1985-Present
Born: 1963, Baku

Originally named Weinstein. He became a grandmaster at 17, the youngest Soviet champion at 18 and the youngest world champion at 22 years, et etc

Cheers and good luck

littlesprout85
23-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Heyy Soviets :D

Let Sprouty welcome you to ChessChats :owned:

Hope you stay on for this site rocks with the best of em- chesswise.
Lets see- three years of playing and studying, not bad- have you played alot onlines or mainly offlines ?

A small sprouty tip - your not the only one on this sight from the states :)

Another tip for your chess persuit - practice chess everyday,preferably with ppl with a better rating than you- this will speed up the process more. For if you dont play everyday you will get rusty fast and possibly just give up after getting beat up. Dont get discouraged, sprout has gone thru this phase many of timez in my chess playing. its just rust.

p.s. sproutys been playing off and on now over 7 years - spread out over a 25 year period.

-Sprout :)

Igor_Goldenberg
29-03-2007, 03:46 PM
I think its Garik with one R though!
Correct me if i am wrong :)
Cheers and good luck!
Garik is a familiar nickname for Garry in Russian (can only be used for children or very close friends, not like Alex for Alexander, etc.)

Basil
29-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Garik is a familiar nickname for Garry in Russian (can only be used for children or very close friends, not like Alex for Alexander, etc.)
Thanks Igor, interesting; sort of touchy, feely, emotional, bonding connotations? I like the richness of languages. Is it generally accepted that Russian is a rich language?

Watto
29-03-2007, 04:23 PM
To whom are you talking? How do you know how long they've been playing and who they have or haven't played against :doh: You'd been on this board an hour when you said that, you obvious bonehead.

Call me an obvious bonehead, but it sounded to me like TheSoviet was quoting something someone had said to him (perhaps his inner voice) or a quote he had discovered rather than making a statement to someone here.

Basil
29-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Call me an obvious bonehead...
Never.

... but it sounded to me like TheSoviet was quoting something someone had said to him (perhaps his inner voice) ...
Jean, having conversed with him from the moment he signed up (on other threads), I am quite certain he was not a genuine poster. I will accept criticism (including from myself if I am brutally honest) that I may have jumped the gun. On balance, I think not.

... or a quote he had discovered rather than making a statement to someone here.
No Jean. He had been here 5 seconds and was privy to far too much personal information. He would have had to have been a serial lurker for months (and an American one at that)! He shot himself in the foot and blew his own cover - plain and simple.

Watto
29-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Never.

Jean, having conversed with him from the moment he signed up (on other threads), I am quite certain he was not a genuine poster. I will accept criticism (including from myself if I am brutally honest) that I may have jumped the gun. On balance, I think not.

No Jean. He had been here 5 seconds and was privy to far too much personal information. He would have had to have been a serial lurker for months! He shot himself in the foot and blew his own cover - plain and simple.
You might be right but the hydra issue in itself doesn't bother me all that much. I still miss Ugoff... :)

ER
29-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Igor
Is the name Garry common in Russian, apart from as an anglisized version of names such as Vasily to Billy etc?
And if you happen to know please inform us about Kasparov's original name!
Cheers and good luck!

Igor_Goldenberg
30-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Igor
Is the name Garry common in Russian, apart from as an anglisized version of names such as Vasily to Billy etc?
And if you happen to know please inform us about Kasparov's original name!
Cheers and good luck!
Garry is a rare (albeit not completely impossible) name in Russia. In case of Kasparov, that was (and still is) his official name when he was born. As she wrote in his book, one of the resolute decision of his father. Another such decision was that the young boy should study chess, not music like everyone else in his family.
His surname was (until the age of 13) Weinstein, them he changed it to his mother's surname (Kasparov).

ER
31-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Garry is a rare (albeit not completely impossible) name in Russia. In case of Kasparov, that was (and still is) his official name when he was born. (...)His surname was (until the age of 13) Weinstein, them he changed it to his mother's surname (Kasparov).
Thanks Igor, that was really informative!
Cheers and good luck!

Kevin Bonham
01-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Wikipedia possibly citing a bio called Unlimited Challenge says that "Garry" is actually equivalent to "Harry", so if it was anglicised he would be Harry!

Igor_Goldenberg
02-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Wikipedia possibly citing a bio called Unlimited Challenge says that "Garry" is actually equivalent to "Harry", so if it was anglicised he would be Harry!

What is the difference between Harry and Garry?

ElevatorEscapee
02-04-2007, 07:39 PM
^ Harry's a wizard, Garry's a painter. http://www.garrypotter.co.uk/ ;)

Denis_Jessop
03-04-2007, 07:54 PM
What is the difference between Harry and Garry?

A bit like the difference between Bill and Will :hmm:

DJ

PS Isn't "g" prounced like"h" in Russian? One of their astronauts was called "German" pronounced "Herman". On the other hand, if it is, why isn't the relevant cyrillic letter transliterated as "h" in the first place? :hmm: again

frog
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi Denis,
Yes like in Gavaroo which is phonetic for the word speaking - correct russian is to pronounce it with a g but uneducated russians use a h like in havaroo.

Complex!