PDA

View Full Version : Chess Clubs - tournament cross-promotion

Spiny Norman
08-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi all,

Interested in your thoughts on tournament "cross promotion". i.e. we'll scratch your back, you'll scratch ours. I know that almost all chess clubs are usually happy to put out brochures for another club's tournaments, and that's great!, but its a 'soft' form of promotion.

I am thinking more about inter-club agreements, whereby geographically-neighbourly clubs which meet on different days of the week might collaborate to promote each other's events. If it were in a business setting I would be thinking to sign a Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU).

Ideas to consider:
- each club which is a party to the agreement nominates one event for cross-promotion
--- provides brochures for distribution
- the other clubs agree to actively (!) promote the event to the members
- members of the other clubs get a discount (e.g. $10) off the entry fee if they participate

It might be possible to put together "packages" of events (i.e. play in all three events and get an extra 10% off the already low price!).

I would appreciate feedback. Is it "too business-like"? Too gimmicky? If you're on the committee of a club, would you be suspicious of the other club's motives?

MichaelBaron
08-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Relationships between the CCs in Australia should be based on cooperation rather than competition!

Ian Rout
08-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I think clubs in Canberra probably wouldn't mind so long as it wasn't in a "here's something better than your club" sort of way.

It's not a big issue here as we have an e-mail list on which notices can be posted (some clubs use it more effectively than others, but it's there). Players also have access to a combined calendar:

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/results/general/2006Calendars.htm