PDA

View Full Version : Australian Chess Tales

MichaelBaron
14-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I think we should have a Thread that talks about funny incidents that have taken place during chess tournaments.

So lets get started...

Some years ago, I was playing in Geelong Open. In Round 2 I was paired against a local 1700 rated player (pls do not confuse him with his MCC namesake). As the game progressed, my opponent started dropping pieces one after the other. I was patiently waiting for his resignation..but it never came.

I was a little bit annoyed and after the game was completed, I could not help pointing out to him that in some positions "there is really little if any point in playing on"

To which my oponent replied: " I know it, but i paid $40 entry fee. so by making a greater number of movies on the chessboard, i am getting better value for money" :P

antichrist
14-01-2007, 03:24 PM
I reminded an oldie from same club in a comp game to press his clock, a few times this happened, then he chided me for distracting him.

1min_grandmaster
14-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I think this will be a very interesting thread Michael, thank you for starting it! Here are my interesting experiences in 2006:

In the NSW Rapid Play Championships 2006, I had a very strange experience in my game with Vasil Tulevski. I have only ever heard of a similar experience once before; I think it involved two top grandmasters many years ago. In my game, I had obtained a fairly comfortable position but then I blundered and suddenly I found myself in a completely lost position. However, Tulevski offered me a draw, obviously due to sympathy to my blunder. I rejected his offer and instead resigned and told him that he should take the win, but thanked him for his very good sign of sportsmanship. My reasoning is that if players offer or accept such 'sympathy draw offers', or perform similar actions (such as refusing to take advntage of their opponent's time trouble) then tournament chess will no longer be a real competition sport. I believe the main reason people play in tournaments (whether they consciously realise it or not) is for this competitive thrill.

I also had a strange encounter in one of my games in the Interleagues Rapid Play 2006. Throughout the entire game, my opponent kept on offering me a draw, even on my move, although he always used a very friendly tone and would even make it personal by using my name and discussing about how we could both go home early to sleep. Everyone around my board found it very funny, including myself. Eventually, we reached the following position, where I had 2 minutes left on my clock, my opponent had around 10 minutes, and the time control was 30 minutes guillotine for the whole game; the story continues in the game annotations.

34. ... b5 {After making this move, he made his final draw offer. Again I rejected it, but this time, my opponent got angry and announced that he would now beat me.} 35. Bb3 Nb6 36. Kf3 Nc4 37. Bc1 Kf7 38. Kg4 d5 39. e5 fxe5 40. dxe5 d4 41. Kf3 a5 42. Ke4 Ne8 43. Bb2 Kg7 44. Bxc4 bxc4 45. Bxd4 axb4 46. axb4 Bb6 47. Bxb6 {Now my opponent was absolutely fuming.} h5 48. Kd4 g4 49. hxg4 hxg4 50. Kxc4 Kh6 51. Kd5 Kg5 52. Ke4 Ng7 53. Bd8+ Kh5 54. Nf4+ Kh6 55. e6 g3 56. f6 Nh5 57. Nxh5 Kxh5 58. e7 Kg4 59. e8=Q g2 60. Qg6+ Kh3 61. Kf3 g1=N 62. Qxg1 1-0

Still angry, and probably amazed that I could play so many moves so quickly with so little time on the clock without falling apart, whereas it was him who blundered multiple times instead, he now claimed that I was lucky, but at least he offered his hand to shake hands.

Finally, a shock in the NSW Lightning Championships 2006. I was white against second seed Vladimir Smirnov (behind only IM-elect George Xie) and was obviously expecting a tough game. Smirnov is an excellent blitz player (he's a very good player fullstop) so I was shocked when, quite literally after only a few seconds after starting the game, he played his fourth move 4. ... Bf8-c5 (even though he had not moved his e-pawn, thus still sitting on e7) and hit the clock! I don't think he realised that he had even made an illegal move until I claimed the illegal move. This is the fastest tournament game that I have won, both in terms of time elapsed and number of moves played; it is certainly very bizzarre that this honour goes to a game against such a good player as Smirnov!

I have many more interesting, funny, amazing and sad stories in 2005 and earlier that I have recorded somewhere. I will dig them up and post here soon.

1min_grandmaster
14-01-2007, 06:07 PM
I have only ever heard of a similar experience once before; I think it involved two top grandmasters many years ago.

In this incident, Player A had a winning position but then blundered horribly and as a result, was easily losing. Player B then offered a draw out of sympathy, but not just that, he apparently 'threatened' to resign if Player A did not accept the draw offer! From memory, the draw offer was accepted.

Actually, such a draw offer with a 'threat' of resigning is not allowed; the laws of chess state that draw offers cannot come with conditions, although perhaps back then, this was not in the rules.

Does anyone know which two players this incident involved, when it occured, what the position was, etc?

Rincewind
14-01-2007, 07:03 PM
In this incident, Player A had a winning position but then blundered horribly and as a result, was easily losing. Player B then offered a draw out of sympathy, but not just that, he apparently 'threatened' to resign if Player A did not accept the draw offer! From memory, the draw offer was accepted.

A somewhat similar thing happened to me. I was playing an email correspondence game and being soundly beaten. Then on one move my opponent got ahead of himself (played a move without first playing a forcing move before) and made a move which left his queen en prise. If I took the queen it would leave him with a losing position.

I replied with an email saying that I did not receive that move and he should resend his email after checking his move.

He replied with a draw offer which I accepted.

This only happened a few years ago.

antichrist
14-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Just as I baffle some posters here with my verbal Warnies well it also happens in chess. A few gambling opponents of mine have taken their own piece and I let them get away with it (aren't I big), if they received an advantage out of it I certainly would not let them.

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2007, 12:25 AM
I claimed a win in blitz once after my opponent took his own pawn on about move 8. :D

Metro
15-01-2007, 12:38 AM
I think we should have a Thread that talks about funny incidents that have taken place during chess tournaments.

So lets get started...

Some years ago, I was playing in Geelong Open. In Round 2 I was paired against a local 1700 rated player (pls do not confuse him with his MCC namesake). As the game progressed, my opponent started dropping pieces one after the other. I was patiently waiting for his resignation..but it never came.

I was a little bit annoyed and after the game was completed, I could not help pointing out to him that in some positions "there is really little if any point in playing on"

To which my oponent replied: " I know it, but i paid $40 entry fee. so by making a greater number of movies on the chessboard, i am getting better value for money" :P

I believe he is Steven Fletcher ?

Desmond
15-01-2007, 08:39 AM
I claimed a win in blitz once after my opponent took his own pawn on about move 8. :DOk, I don't want to start another "thing" (a la clocks thread) with this, but I had a somewhat similar experience. My opponent on move 3 played ...Nb8-b6 in a blitz tournament. I pointed out that he had made an illegal move, and allowed him to take it back rather than claim the win. He stopped the clock and summoned the arbiter to get a ruling on whether the illegal move had already ended the game or whether I actually was required to make a claim to that effect. I never actually claimed the win due to the illegal move, just pointed out that he had made one. The arbiter awarded the game to me, but I think he was busy laughing and I'm not sure if the distinction really registered.

MichaelBaron
15-01-2007, 09:09 AM
I believe he is Steven Fletcher ?

I remember well who the person is. I just did not want to reveal his identity :owned:

MichaelBaron
15-01-2007, 09:20 AM
And here is a story from an MCC allegro tournament. Curiously, the surname of the person i was playing is exactly the same as the surname of the Geelong chess player i was referring to in my first Tale.

I started an allegro game with my king on d8 and queen on e8. after move 4 or so i noticed that my pieces were not set properly and tried to fix the descrepancy. To my great surprise my opponent (who was desperate to win $10 prize) claimed that if the pieces are set incorrectly and more than 3 moves have been played we had to continue the game with the king on d8 and queen on e8). I was not sure what the rule was (and the tournament arbiter was one of those typical Auzzie arbiters who does not know the rules and the rules do not know him :) ), so anyway...i had to continue the game with my king on d8....and this was two knights defence....So i was a pawn down with a king in the center about to get mated.

This ba...rd immediately offered a draw....cause he was still not sure if he can beat me from that position. i was really furious. To me, it was a cause of bad sportsmanship. So i refused the draw offer and told him (hey i was only 20 or so at the time and far more emotional in my responses than i am now). That he is a f..ing loser who sleeps on the street and that i am going to f..him, f...his position and..ff........) anyway, the game continued and tried harder than i ever try against Rogers and Johansen and won! That was one of my sweetes victories ever!

As for the K on d8, it had to go to c7,b6, a5, a6, back to b6, a7, b8.

After this it was fully safe :D Of course it could have got mated during this lovely trip..but who cares :lol:

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2007, 02:35 PM
I started an allegro game with my king on d8 and queen on e8. after move 4 or so i noticed that my pieces were not set properly and tried to fix the descrepancy. To my great surprise my opponent (who was desperate to win $10 prize) claimed that if the pieces are set incorrectly and more than 3 moves have been played we had to continue the game with the king on d8 and queen on e8).

Alas for you, the ba...rd was entirely within his rights under the Laws:

B4. Once each player has completed three moves, no claim can be made regarding incorrect piece placement, orientation of the chessboard or clock setting. In case of reverse king and queen placement castling with this king is not allowed.

I saw Johansen and somebody start a blitz game with a reversed king and queen at Mt Buller. I told the arbiter, and although it was about move five, he just stepped over and rectified the king and queen and the game continued. At the time I thought this was incorrect, but actually it wasn't - the Laws say nothing about the arbiters unilaterally fixing such a problem; they only say the players cannot make a claim.

antichrist
15-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Can a player overtly or covertly get a message out to the arbitar to interfere?

Oepty
15-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Alas for you, the ba...rd was entirely within his rights under the Laws:

B4. Once each player has completed three moves, no claim can be made regarding incorrect piece placement, orientation of the chessboard or clock setting. In case of reverse king and queen placement castling with this king is not allowed.

I saw Johansen and somebody start a blitz game with a reversed king and queen at Mt Buller. I told the arbiter, and although it was about move five, he just stepped over and rectified the king and queen and the game continued. At the time I thought this was incorrect, but actually it wasn't - the Laws say nothing about the arbiters unilaterally fixing such a problem; they only say the players cannot make a claim.

You would have to be very carefull as an arbiter that they players had not made moves based on the incorrect placement after move three to make the change. What could the arbiter do if one of the players complained about the correction?
Scott

eclectic
15-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Does the once three moves are played rule apply in all situations?

Years ago a friend of mine had a quickly won game in one of the companion events to the Australian Championships when lo and behold the arbiter came along and said there had been a stuff up in the draw and that it would be redone.

No need to mention that my friend was livid!!!

Axiom
15-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Does the once three moves are played rule apply in all situations?

Years ago a friend of mine had a quickly won game in one of the companion events to the Australian Championships when lo and behold the arbiter came along and said there had been a stuff up in the draw and that it would be redone.

No need to mention that my friend was livid!!!
Now thats what I call FUNNY !! :eek: :uhoh: :hmm: ;) :lol:

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2007, 12:11 AM

I wonder what the stuff-up was; it would have to be very bad indeed to justify that.

Metro
22-01-2007, 12:58 AM
There is a chess tale well known in Vic. chess circles re Karlis Ozols in action in a tournament(I think he moved a piece and called check when it wasn't).

Anyone care to record it here?

Sunshine
29-01-2007, 02:22 AM
As a junior I was fortunate to meet and g0t to know a number of the great men of the game - such as Flat Flatow and John Kellner - terrific men and very giving of their time.

I also played against three generations of the Purdy family at different times. Needless to say I have tremendous respect for them - but also a couple of stories. Hopefully no offence is taken with the recounting of this one.

Many year ago I was playing a very elderly Cecil Purdy in an evening game at Peter Parr's Chess Centre in Sussex Street.

The games was quite a struggle and move 40 was reached around 11.30pm in the evening. As was the practice in those days the game had to be adjourned by Cecil writing down a move and placing it in a sealed envelope (the seal was then signed by both players).

During a game Cecil always kept two metal balls in his hand which he would rotate when thinking and they would make a slight clinking sound.

While Cecil was deciding on his move to seal I was looking at the floor as it was not polite to be look at him in case he thought I was trying to see the move he was recording.

After a little while the clinking stopped - so I thought he must have decided on his move. A couple of minutes later I was startled by a knock on the table and looked up John Purdy sais "Dad, wake up and make a move so that we can go home!"

Cecil woke up very startled, had a quick look at the board ansd recorded his sealed move.

McTaggart
11-03-2007, 11:57 PM
There is a chess tale well known in Vic. chess circles re Karlis Ozols in action in a tournament(I think he moved a piece and called check when it wasn't).

Anyone care to record it here?

I believe it was a game between Ozols and Branko Renic.. Ozols was losing and in his opponents time-trouble tried this little bit of gamesmanship/cheating/whatever....

Basil
04-04-2007, 11:48 PM

My humble morsel:

It's the 2006 Annual Qld Teams Champs and yours truly (host, organiser and CAQ president) is at the main entrance of the venue chatting with, and welcoming, the diverse array combatants from far and near.

One of the more recognisable and respected deities of Qld Chess, Dr Jonothan Sarfarti approaches while I am engaged with a couple of his Logan City team mates.

"Ah! Mr Sarfati, how are you? Always a pleasure." I proffer, greeting him warmly and offering my hand.
"I'm well Howard, but it's actually Dr Sarfati" he replies equally warmly, shaking hands.
"I'm sorry", I reply "But that's Mr President" to you!"

All light-hearted stuff. Mirth all 'round!

machomortensen
15-11-2011, 04:15 AM
Mr. Sunshine.

A GREAT story. Thanks.

jammo
15-11-2011, 04:31 PM
I believe it was a game between Ozols and Branko Renic.. Ozols was losing and in his opponents time-trouble tried this little bit of gamesmanship/cheating/whatever....

My recollection is that it was rook ending where the 7th and 8th ranks were clear except for the Black King on the 8th rank. Ozols moved his rook to the 7th rank and said "Check" so his opponent assumed that the rook was on the 8th rank so he moved his King to the 7th rank. Ozols then took it!

A neat trick!

ER
15-11-2011, 05:50 PM
My recollection is that it was rook ending where the 7th and 8th ranks were clear except for the Black King on the 8th rank. Ozols moved his rook to the 7th rank and said "Check" so his opponent assumed that the rook was on the 8th rank so he moved his King to the 7th rank. Ozols then took it!

A neat trick!

What's your recollection of the incident that occured in your encounter vs the legendary Sammy Reshevsky? I 've heard various versions of the confrontation!

jammo
16-11-2011, 08:17 PM
What's your recollection of the incident that occured in your encounter vs the legendary Sammy Reshevsky? I 've heard various versions of the confrontation!

I'd love to hear them as I never played him....

ER
16-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I'd love to hear them as I never played him....

Apologies! I was either misinformed or not paying attention when I heard the story! (My being absent minded most of the time gives the latter possibility a greater chance)! The incident involved FM Douglas Hamilton vs GM Sammy Reshevsky and not IM Robert Jamieson vs GM Sammy Reshevsky!
However, the following game from the Haifa 1976 Olympiad is not just a tale but stuff dreams are made of. After all beating a player who had forced Bobby Fischer's resignation in something like 22 moves in such a style is definitely not a mean feat!

White IM Robert Murray Jamieson (Australia)
Black GM Wolfgang Unzicker (W.Germany)

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Bxc6 dxc6 5. O-O f6 6. d4 exd4 7. Nxd4 Ne7 8. Nc3 Ng6 9. Be3 Bd6 10. f4 O-O 11. Qd3 Qe8 12. Rae1 Kh8 13. a3 Bd7 14. Nb3 Rd8 15. Qe2 Bc8 16. Na5 c5 17. Nc4 b6 18. Nxd6 Rxd6 19. f5 Ne5 20. Nd5 Rf7 21. c4 Bb7 22. Bf4 Rdd7 23. Rc1 a5 24. Rc3 Ba6 25. Rfc1 Bb7 26. Rh3 Nc6 27. Rcc3 Nd4 28. Rxh7+ Kxh7 29. Qh5 Kg8 30. Rh3 Ne2 31. Kf2
1-0