PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Thoughts

StakesIsHigh
19-04-2004, 10:14 PM
5K1k/8/7p/8/8/5N2/8/8 w - - 0 1

I screwed up this board setup so I will just say the position. (fixed - Baz)
White king on F8
White knight on F3
Black king on H8
Black Pawn on H6

In this position (white to move), white mates in 2, after Ng5, h7 and Nf7#. However, if this position is reached in an internet game, black could simply allow his time to run down and be guaranteed of a draw, because of white's lack of 'mating material'. Could black do the same thing in a game in real life? :confused:

Kevin Bonham
19-04-2004, 10:24 PM
No. In OTB chess if it is mathematically possible for you to mate and the other person's flag falls then you win (assuming a draw under Rule 10.2 has not been claimed by the opponent before flag fall) whether the mate can be forced or not. It is not unknown for players with only a knight or pawn to win on time against a player with lots of pieces.

Rincewind
20-04-2004, 12:16 AM
White king on F8
White knight on F3
Black king on H8
Black Pawn on H6

In this position (white to move), white mates in 2, after Ng5, h7 and Nf7#. However, if this position is reached in an internet game, black could simply allow his time to run down and be guaranteed of a draw, because of white's lack of 'mating material'. Could black do the same thing in a game in real life? :confused:

After fixing it I realised you had the pawns going the wrong way so I've reflected the position for you.

8/8/5N2/8/8/7p/8/5K1k w - - 0 1

White has a forced with with 1.Ng4 h2 (forced) 2.Nf2#

If Black allowed his clock to run out he should be judged lost on time as there is a legal sequnce of moves which leads to mate. In fact (as Kevin points out) White doesn't event need to be forcing a win. For example lets assume Black has a bishop on b8 and no pawn.

1b6/8/5N2/8/8/8/8/5K1k w - - 0 1

Now if Black ran out of time it would still be lost as after Ng4 then 1...Bh2 2.Nf2# loses. That's what "most unskilled counterplay" means.

StakesIsHigh
20-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Haha, yeh I did post the position with the pawns going the wrong way. Am I correct in saying that if the game was played on the Internet (eg. ICC) it would be a draw under the rule of no material to mate.