PDA

View Full Version : Chess Servers - Which Ones - Why?

Basil
25-12-2006, 03:26 AM
Long before joining a club (pre 2001) and before I played *gasp* tournament chess, I spent time fiddling on Yahoo! Chess. Great fun.

Later I became aware of FICS and many of the alternatives.

Please tell me, O Great Ones (and patzers) which servers do you prefer? Why? I went off Yahoo! when they jazzed it up beyond recognition. Servers requiring software downloads do little for me. Bergil just mentioned 'Gameknot' which I had never heard of.

Over to you ...

Basil
25-12-2006, 07:27 PM
C'mon you manky baskets. This can be a good resource. No voyeurs. Got info - opinions? Share! Thanks :)

Yahoo! Chess: Free. Browser based http://www.yahoo.com
Chess Base: Download software http://www.chessbase.com
Chess World:Free No download - http://www.chessworld.net
ICC:Paysite Download http://www.chessclub.com
FICS: Free http://www.freechess.org
Gameknot: http://www.gameknot.com

Basil
25-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Used to be an easy interface browser based applet job. Thousands online at any time - all strengths catered for. Doesn't have the austerity of the 'serious' sites, but hey chess is chess is chess.

This year, looks like someone in Yahoo! decided to get jiggy with it and they went to town jazzing up the site so now operates more like a video game :eek: They lost me. Couldn't be bothered.

My experiences with the other sites is that they are as bland as ... well chessplayers! :uhoh: In a nutshell Yahoo vs the rest are two extremes.

Phil Bourke
26-12-2006, 12:01 AM
FICS: Free http://www.freechess.org

I think FICS is great! I can't see what extras you get by paying at ICC. But that is just my opinion.
Free Online Chess http://www.chessmaniac.com/ is another game playing site worth investigating. Games are played at a slower rate, sometimes allowing up to 14 days per move. The biggest attraction to me is being able to play thematic tournaments where you can play up to 6 games (3 White/3 Black) in a prechosen opening at the same time. Very handy way of getting to know those openings you aren't so familiar with.

Basil
27-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Thanks Phil. For more information, I might have to go to a site for chess enthusiasts :wall:

Desmond
28-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Sites I have used a fair bit:
kasparovchess
yahoo
ICC
chessbase
FICS

Installing software is not an issue for me. I'd prefer to have it that way for a few reasons, not the least of which is faster load times. I could suggest that Howard get a real computer, but I won't waste wisdom on deaf ears. :P

IMO, the best place to play is ICC. Easy to use interface, always lots of players (and strong ones at that), you can automatically log your games to pgn.

The best place to watch masters is chessbase. Seamless integration of Fritz is a real ace in their deck.

I don't know how anyone can use FICS really. I had used ICC for a couple of years before I gave FICS a try. They are similar in the basic respects, but ICC is about 1000 times better. I suppose if you came to FICS first, you wouldn't know what you were missing.

Axiom
28-12-2006, 01:35 PM
There is no contest ...ICC is clearly no1.

Alan Shore
28-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't know how anyone can use FICS really.

I disagree.

FICS is an excellent server that many people use. I like it for the following reasons:

1. Friendly atmosphere
2. Nice, helpful admins (the ICC admins are generally belligerent power-trippers, bar a couple)
3. Easy to use
4. Best server for bughouse
5. Best server for suicide chess
6. Regular tournaments
7. Can pretty much always get a game
8. Multiple interfaces available (Thief 1.1 is great)
9. Free
10. Because free is free!

The pros for ICC are you can watch GM games and play against them (pretty rare unless you're in a tournament or simul). Not worth the membership fees really - although I was offered a free ICC account and I declined it, as FICS is my server of choice. I first joined up 9 years ago and it's still enjoyable, although I don't play nearly as often any more.

Rincewind
28-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I disagree.

FICS is an excellent server that many people use. I like it for the following reasons:

8. Multiple interfaces available (Thief 1.1 is great)

I like Babas.

Plus I agree with everything else you said. FICS is the real deal.

Southpaw Jim
28-12-2006, 03:02 PM
I play at FICS - I had a trial period at ICC and failed to see that it was significantly better for a patzer like myself. I can understand that there might be a lack of reasonable competition at, say, 1700+. As I say, for me at the moment, that's not really an issue and so the nice frilly bits that ICC has don't really justify the cost of membership.

If I were rated 1600-2000, then ICC may have it's attractions.

BTW, Babas client FTW! :D

(btw, FICS will also automail you your games in pgn)

Phil Bourke
28-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Mark me down as another that prefers FICS over ICC!
If saving your games is a critical factor, get on to Babaschess, a interface designed specifically for use at FICS, not only can you save games played, you can also set it up to save games watched by you, all done painlessly whilst you get on with the pleasure of playing and chatting with the many good people at FICS.
An added attraction for mine, less Computer Cheaters at FICS, less titled players for them to feed their small egos on, so less attraction in playing there.

Rincewind
28-12-2006, 10:20 PM
I can understand that there might be a lack of reasonable competition at, say, 1700+. As I say, for me at the moment, that's not really an issue and so the nice frilly bits that ICC has don't really justify the cost of membership.

If I were rated 1600-2000, then ICC may have it's attractions.

I'm rated around 1750 ACF and I don't think lack of challenging opponents is a problem. If you like longer time controls there is also STC Bunch and the Team League events on FICS with very competitive level of opposition.

eclectic
28-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Both ICC and FICS irritate me no end concerning adjournments so if it's for long games I go to PlayChess.

If a game isn't played in one session its spirit is lost and so I can't see the point of going through the tedium of chasing up an opponent for the next week month or year in the hope they will resume an adjourned game with me.

antichrist
29-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Belthasar, Kaitlin told me she is playing on FIC (had no idea what she was on about) do you meet her there?

Davidflude
29-12-2006, 11:05 AM
For playing correspondence chess using an on-line database the ICCF site is very good. http://www.iccf-webchess.com/ Why not log in as a guest and have a look at it. To play tournaments you will need to join the Correspondence Chess league of Australia but that is great value if only for the magazine.

Playing correspondence chess using an on-line database is very very good. No more cheating on time. No more moves going astray or long mail delays. No more illegal moves. The director of play no longer has to chase results and scoresheets. Oh and you can see a cross table of results at any time.

Have a look at the various Australia v other countries matches. You can even play through completed games

Kaitlin
06-01-2007, 03:06 PM
First place i played was MSN Game Zone - chess... but in that one people would come in and the chat box was right next to the board and you couldnt close it and they would just say good moves and I think some people had cheat codes too (not sure now it was so long ago) - I went to chess casue too many people cheated in the other MSN Game Zone games. Anywho.. from there came here cause 'Chess Kit » Welcome to Chess Kit:- Play Chess Now! - New 'Play Chess' Section. Play chess against other people on Chess Kit. The current version is Beta 2 and there is still alot of work to be done. Please send feature requests or bug reports to webmaster@chesskit.com.
Play Chess' .... but that was always turned off... and then played corro chess here - but sux'd at that cause I didnt know e4 and h8 and stuff, so it took me ages to set up the board each time and I offten put the guys on the wrong squares and so nothing worked. And then went to FICs and then got a free trial with ICC but never went there and now they have sent me a email saying I have a new free trial and they will help me with any questions if I want... Oh and another one I found after coming here and looking at chess stuff (just found it looking through my saved chess stuff) is Chessplanet - Главные новости клуба ..... lol and yes it is all in Russian - this is the addy that comes up in the box ' http://chess.rambler.ru/default.aspx?lang=ru' but in my saved site list its named Chessplanet saved on the 29/06/06 4:55pm

I like FIC's but I guess I like it best becasue I know it that doesnt mean its the best so I might look at ICC and that ICCF one too and then decide.

stokilo
18-03-2007, 03:06 AM
Matuj.pl - free chess server with english interface , chess league , tournaments and very good chess client.

www.matuj.pl

Spiny Norman
24-03-2007, 06:34 PM
www.chessos.com (turn-based chess, incl Fischer Random)
www.chesshere.com (turn-based and real-time chess)

littlesprout85
27-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Heyy Kat :)

About your inquiry about chesschats. Chess Chats is good for the underground gossip on the latest chess scene. Sprouty will often chill here at chesschats in the shoutbox while playing free live chess over at www.playchess.com as a guest.

Playchess.com is great cause its a quick free dl and no cookies either. plus the boards arent in beta and work really well with older pcs and window systems as well as new. Also being a guest and remaining anonomious isnt too bad while practicing. Yes over at playchess you can play timed games and plenty of action there. sprouty often will play ppl from here at chesschats there at playchess. We just use the shoutbox here to communicate our guest #'s to each other etc. ;)

Also playchess.com has alot of chessmasters playing there and got alot of chess extras -etc. if you like it- then you might wanna try to subscribe to playchess to unlock even more features of their site ;)

Oh and about chesskits.com- that is the sister site to this site. chesskits is where you can get the latest pc chess programs etc. is great for the latest dl of Shredder. :D

Hope this helps yea on the chess internet highway-Im really glad that chesschats is going strong-for thats how the sprout learned about playchess.com ;)

-Sprout :)

Maxwell843
25-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I play on www.chessmaniac.com.
Its correspondance chess but I really enjoy it. You have a rating and a ranking. You can also join teams and clubs and play as a team. You can play in tournaments etc.
You should check it out.

Zugzwanged
06-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Long before joining a club (pre 2001) and before I played *gasp* tournament chess, I spent time fiddling on Yahoo! Chess. Great fun.

Later I became aware of FICS and many of the alternatives.

Please tell me, O Great Ones (and patzers) which servers do you prefer? Why? I went off Yahoo! when they jazzed it up beyond recognition. Servers requiring software downloads do little for me. Bergil just mentioned 'Gameknot' which I had never heard of.

Over to you ...

FICS is crap. If you're reasonably serious about chess and are looking for quality functionalilty, strong players and a smooth interface, your choice is only between ICC or Playchess.com (or both). Playchess.com has by far the best and smoothest interface there is for online chess and a four tier rating system, but there are some issues with lag. Both sites cover all the major tournaments and broadcast the games live with commentary, but ICC is a bit better organized in this regard and has their broadcast coordinated with Chess FM which usually features Grandmaster analysis.

For corr. chess, I suggest ICCF. If you don't want to spend any money, there is FICGS where you can play chess or go for free, and no ads.

Jason

Rincewind
06-05-2007, 02:50 PM
FICS is crap. If you're reasonably serious about chess and are looking for quality functionalilty, strong players and a smooth interface, your choice is only between ICC or Playchess.com (or both).

FICS can't be dismissed on any of the grounds you give here. The choice of interfaces provides several which are smooth. I use Babaschess interface and find it is smooth and has all the functionality I need for an online interface. As I've said previously, the players on FICS are also plenty strong enough for me (ACF rating ~1750) and I think players up to ACF 2000+ should be able to find someone challenging to play most times of the day or night.

The only thing that I can see that ICC has going for it is FIDE rated players. But for most chess players I would argue this is not worth the price paid for membership. FICS is fine and totally free.

From what I understand (though I'm not big on variants) FICS is actually the best place to play bughouse. So if you are into that sort of thing, or like me and only dabble occasionally, this is an added bonus at no extra charge.

CameronD
06-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Ive used Fics and playchess and cant find a real difference between them. I would prefer playchess only because there are more people using it for 15min+ games.

I'm not sure how strong the upperlimit players are though.

ACF 1226
Fics 1700
Playchess 1900

Zugzwanged
07-05-2007, 04:26 AM
FICS can't be dismissed on any of the grounds you give here. The choice of interfaces provides several which are smooth.

I use Babaschess interface and find it is smooth and has all the functionality I need for an online interface. As I've said previously, the players on FICS are also plenty strong enough for me (ACF rating ~1750) and I think players up to ACF 2000+ should be able to find someone challenging to play most times of the day or night.

The only thing that I can see that ICC has going for it is FIDE rated players. But for most chess players I would argue this is not worth the price paid for membership. FICS is fine and totally free.

From what I understand (though I'm not big on variants) FICS is actually the best place to play bughouse. So if you are into that sort of thing, or like me and only dabble occasionally, this is an added bonus at no extra charge.

I've tried the Babaschess interface and find it to be choppy. Have you even been on playchess.com ? For some people even yahoo and pogo are fine places to play. But you get what you pay for. As I said, I was referring to someone who is reasonably serious about chess. If you're happy with FICS, or with some other free site, that's fine.

Also, the competition on FICS is generally weak. I've never heard of any GM's playing there. You often get 20-30 GM's at once on either of ICC or Playchess. I did spend a few days playing on FICS to test it out and was hard pressed to find anyone in my league to play with. I had to wait for a long time to get a game with a 2000 level player. I do about 2200-2300 in blitz/bullet chess. On playchess i'm only a top 10% player and have plenty of masters, FM's, IM's and GM's to challenge. Of course the ratings are lower than they should be on FICS and FICS players like to pride themself on that. But the reality is that expert and above are far and few between on FICS.

Also, if you like to watch the super GM tournaments, ICC is second to none with their coordinated ChessFM/guest GM live commentary

Playchess has incredible functionality. Everyone game you play, or even watch, is stored, with time stamps, in a database on your hard drive. When watching games you can run an engine with a single click. There are lot's of tournaments, some with prizes, and you can direct your own tournaments as well. Top Super GM's such as adams, short, mamedyarov, serawan, and even kasparov are there daily.

ICC has bughouse and every other variation i've ever heard of.

Either of playchess or ICC is only around $50 a year for membership. That's pretty cheap for what you get.

The main problem with FICS though is the lack of strong players.

Jason

Rincewind
07-05-2007, 09:28 AM
ICC has bughouse and every other variation i've ever heard of.

I think the strength argument against FICS which could well be true, applies in reverse for bughouse. I'm not really into variants but I do talk to some players who are and they are the ones who gave me this perception. However, it may be incorrect.

On FICS you do get tournament coverage but no GMs are paid to provide commentary. What generally happens is a bunch of guys of varying strength hang out and kibitz the game in progress. I quite like this experience too.

The other issue is of course the moral argument aganist ICC which goes back to March 1, 1995. However, I won't buy into that argument. :hand:

Basically it boils down to this: For my strength any chess server is fine and $0/year is more attractive than $50/year.

arosar
07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
If you're going to join ICC, now as the best time as the AUD is at .82 to the USD.

AR

Basil
07-05-2007, 12:29 PM
The other issue is of course the moral argument aganist ICC which goes back to March 1, 1995. However, I won't buy into that argument. :hand:
May I have just the merest soupcon, thanks! Perhaps a link or a paragraph or two please.

Rincewind
07-05-2007, 08:34 PM
May I have just the merest soupcon, thanks! Perhaps a link or a paragraph or two please.

http://www.edcollins.com/chess/fics-icc.htm

Basil
07-05-2007, 08:58 PM
http://www.edcollins.com/chess/fics-icc.htm
Thanks.

Capablanca-Fan
08-05-2007, 07:34 AM
What about Chessnet?

Basil
08-05-2007, 01:21 PM
What about Chessnet?
What about it Jon? Do you have a review for us?

Capablanca-Fan
08-05-2007, 04:09 PM
What about it Jon? Do you have a review for us?

I was wondering if anyone else had some ideas. I've played on ChessNet and FICS for a bit of fun, more on ChessNet. Probably more transfer on FISC, which goes by the absurd Yankism "bughouse". It seems that IMs and GMs tend to play on ICC.

kaleo_kalani
09-05-2007, 10:51 AM
I play on InstantChess.com, and I'm an average player.
Playing people from around the world still is exciting even after several years of playing there. I've just got a quick question if you don't mind, I am wondering if I can get a volunteer to teach me how to play better? I need to play on InstantChess.com because I don't see the pieces well on other sites. The 3d boards are the worse for me to see, so i need something like they offer. I guess everyone wants to be a better player, right? I'm not being cheap, I just want to see results first, THEN pay someone. I mean, when I hire someone to repair my home, I have to see the improvement first, then pay them, so I'd like to do that with chess lessons, too.....just need to find someone willing to teach me without the guarantee of getting paid. Hope to hear from someone with patience.

zigzag
09-05-2007, 04:17 PM
This sounds like an ad for Instantchess.:lol:
There are many FREE sites that have pieces that are easy to see.:whistle:

Rincewind
09-05-2007, 06:03 PM
There are many FREE sites that have pieces that are easy to see.:whistle:

Indeed! In Babaschess on FICS, for example, you can figure pieces, colours and size of the board. If you wanted to you could have an InstantChess theme which looked almost exactly the same as the InstantChess interface. :)

Garvinator
02-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Jono, does your FM title or rating get you free membership on ICC?

Basil
02-09-2007, 04:45 PM
I went off Yahoo! when they jazzed it up beyond recognition.
Revisited Yahoo! Games just last week. They are running parallel servers - the new one I ran from, and the 'original'. Unusual move. Seems I wasn't the only one!

Kruupy
07-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi all,

recently (yesterday) I managed to finally decide whether to use FICS or ICC...the answer is ICC.

Why?

for a few reasons:
1. I can easily afford the ~$60 p.a cost
2. Prizes for tournaments will help me improve my game.
3. More titled players on ICC than FICS
4. Chekel system is great and I can improve my game by using some of the titled players coaching services.
5. Interface (Dasher) is far superior to any GUI used to connect to FICS in terms of structure (html splash screens with daily events/coverage etc)
6. Regular videos (lectures) posted by titled players with materials to study.

However this was not quite enough until I discoverd:
7. Chess.FM radio! - live chess commentary on selected matches. And we are talking LIVE. i.e I could ask the commentators questions as they broadcast, and chat about ideas with them and other listeners - I think its a great tool for improvement.

So in summary, I have chosen to use ICC over FICS basically because it suits my personality in terms of what I need to be able to improve and the speed that I want to improve, and it also suits my pocket as I have enough $ and time to be able to use it. However I don't think that ICC will suit everyone...its more of a personal preference, however I do recommend people use their 7 day free trial to discover whether they like it themselves.

Intuition
26-02-2008, 03:51 PM
need some advice about wether to get an ICC membership...I did the trial and it seems good similar to FICS. I was interested in playing 90min +30 sec per move games.....are there many slow players on ICC and would it be easier to get a slow game relative to other servers??

peace

Kruupy
26-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi Intuition,

ICC member here. I actually (annoyingly) have a lot of trouble trying to get a 90 +30 game on ICC. It seems to me that the best I can get is 30 +10. However ICC has a lot of other features, as I am sure you are already aware that more than compensate. I'm not sure if your aware of this but there is a sub group on ICC called Le Chess club which is great for being able to obtain a mentor or analysis partner to be able to go over your game over some sort of voice chat like Skype. I use this feature a bit and think that its great!

Kruupy.

Southpaw Jim
02-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I think the difficulty in getting a long game is pretty universal to online chess (FICS, ICC, Playchess) - blitz is popular with all the ADHD kids anyway, and many people aren't interested in investing the necessary time when online. Plus blitz gives people more of a 'bang-for-buck' feel, they feel they're getting more for their time. Personally I don't really like blitz, mainly because I'm crap at it. FWIW, on FICS, games slower than 15 0 are in the minority, and I rarely see any game ads for anything longer than 30mins.

There is a group on FICS called the STC Bunch (slow time control), IIRC they have weekly 45 45 tourneys. However, being mostly US players, the scheduling isn't the best for us Aussies.

WCL-Skwerly
29-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Here's the skinny in my opine:

ICC - best `hands down` if you like watching GM's, IM's and FM's battle. Nice interface (blitzin), relatively similar to FICS Thief interface. (Other options are out there, I just don't care for them much ;)).

FICS - Very good for casual games, and a relatively friendly community - besides, it's *** FREE ***, which makes it a much easier choice for some. Large choice of interfaces (I prefer Thief, I like the old-school two-window bit), and you get games very fast.

Playchess - Another good site to see strong players play, and like was said before, you do seem to get more "long chess" players there, which I absolutely love. Also, it uses the popular Fritz interface which makes it comfortable for many of us.

**NEW!*** World Chess Live - ICC bought out the former Chess Live and World Chess Network sites, combined the users and staff, and called it World Chess Live. While it isn't a free site (ICC), it is advertised as "family friendly", and that's the way we keep it. I am an administrator there and enjoy the place very much. It uses ICC's Dasher Interface, a nice, modifiable chess interface that is relatively easy to learn and use.

I personally play on all these sites, and honestly if I `had` to choose only two (WCL not included since I work there), I would have to go with ICC and FICS. I enjoy watching master play, and enjoy the "homey" feel FICS provides.

At any rate, this really isn't a plug for WCL, but I didn't see it mentioned so thought I would throw it out there as an option! :)

Link:
http://www.worldchesslive.com/

Duff McKagan
05-05-2008, 05:17 PM
ICC is good for watching broadcasts, but FICS is better for transfer, as JONO says. chess.net is not worth their subscription fee, IMO... if you are going to pay then ICC or playchess is the go. Playchess has a nice gui environment and broadcasts high class games.

Personally I prefer FICS, because it's the most "homely" site... the ICC admins are twits that like to do a lot of "nannying" (Nigel Short's expression for it). My playchess account expired a few years ago.

P.S. ICC is also free for a short time (a 2 week trial) and you can make that a long time by getting multiple trials, if you don't mind having a new account every two weeks.

P.P.S. There is another place where I like to play where mostly humble players go - players on the above servers are not very humble in general.

Capablanca-Fan
06-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Jono, does your FM title or rating get you free membership on ICC?
Not sure, since I'm not a member. But Chess.Net lets me play there for free. I can't tell if that policy applies to Zonal FMs though.

Southpaw: http://www.letsplaychess.com/ aka Chessworld.net allows longer time limits, even days per move. Full membership costs, but I am playing with an existing member for free.

Rincewind
06-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Not sure, since I'm not a member. But Chess.Net lets me play there for free. I can't tell if that policy applies to Zonal FMs though.

ICC advertising says free membership of GMs and IMs but only if they make their names public. FMs are not mentioned but that doesn't mean you couldn't broker a deal though.

FICS is free for everyone. That's what the F stands for.

As it was in the beginning...

ADO_SL
27-05-2008, 07:53 PM
There's ChessOpeningsDatabase.net (http://www.chessopeningsdatabase.net). It's free.

You can play lightning (download required).

And a 24 hour per move type game (web-based), where the opening is randomly determined -- ie, Kramnik random chess.

Just thought I'd add to this discussion since it is here.

Metro
14-06-2008, 02:48 AM
I had a problem on playchess.com.
I won a game then immediately after it said I had committed rule offence eg.used chess software assistance(standard wording on this site).Never have done.I wonder if it's a glitch or I played a sequence of moves found in a program.Anyone else experienced this?

eclectic
14-06-2008, 02:59 PM
I won a game then immediately after it said I had committed rule offence eg.used chess software assistance(standard wording on this site).Never have done.I wonder if it's a glitch or I played a sequence of moves found in a program.Anyone else experienced this?

i'd guess the second option unintentionally mind you

or

perhaps you were opening too many other programs at the time which was interpreted as multi tasking by the system ie suspicion that you were seeking assistance elsewhere (not sure if having chesschat open at the same time would do it ;)

Metro
14-06-2008, 05:11 PM
ie suspicion that you were seeking assistance elsewhere (not sure if having chesschat open at the same time would do it ;)

that would be considered a disadvantage:P

Kaitlin
15-06-2008, 11:56 AM

Maybe you just played the 'perfect' game :D

Kaitlin
15-06-2008, 12:01 PM
to add to the FICs convos below -> FICs also now allows 'free email' addy to be used to Register. When I registered I had to use Dads email addy and get him to sent me the confirmation stuff and login stuff. But now they allow you to use like a yahoo email or a hotmail email to register (free ones) instead of like a Bigpond one.

Alexrules01
15-06-2008, 04:38 PM

This happened to me, I was talking to me friends on msn while it was my opponents move, so I wasn't on the playchess window. So they thought I was cheating. Even though I played a really crappy game and I got lucky with a back-rank, they thought i was cheating. Ha!

Scorpio
19-07-2008, 12:30 PM
My friend has an account on the internet chess club but he says there are not nearly as many players there as there used to be. I am therefore hesitatnt to pay money for a membership there. Can anyone here give me some advice?

Samson
13-09-2008, 10:48 AM
www.playchess.de FTW!

Maybe only problem is subscription fee, or lazy SysOp (hard to get help!). But good for gambling and broadcasts.

Dougy
14-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Yahoo! chess is the absolute bottom of the barrel in online chess, in my opinion - unless it has changed in the last few years.

FICS is fine, ICC is good too - I used to buy membership, it's definitely worth it if you get involved in simuls and tourneys. Nowadays I don't have the time. Playchess is not worth it, in my opinion.

There is actually a fairly good application on Facebook called "My Chess" which can be used for correspondence. There are also a lot of bad applications on Facebook too.

MichaelBaron
14-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Try USchesslive server. It is cheaper than ICC (and free fro all titled players ;) but it has the very same features as ICC

sparki_uk
21-10-2008, 07:06 AM
If you're fond of variants such as miniature chess, progressive chess etc, have a look at Atlantic Games http://www.atlanticgames.net. Their home page is a little dated but they've got some quality regular players in their tournaments section.

Miranda
21-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Nah,
I reckon ICC is the best server. It's got heaps of people, very well-managed, and it's just pretty awesome overall :) Although FICS is free, I think ICC is worth the price... there are always heaps of simuls and tourneys. And it's only $30 if you're a student.

Adamski
21-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Try USchesslive server. It is cheaper than ICC (and free fro all titled players ;) but it has the very same features as ICCAn even better version now is World Chess Live. Together with downloading Dasher user interface software. Cool! I used to go through FICS and ICC but WCL is better. Lots of cool features.

Miranda
21-03-2009, 02:49 PM
An even better version now is World Chess Live. Together with downloading Dasher user interface software. Cool! I used to go through FICS and ICC but WCL is better. Lots of cool features.
I find WCL is more of a family-oriented server, and it's more for the Americans (USCL plays a big part)

You can use ICC with Dasher, which is exactly the same as the WCL version but... well, for ICC! FICS offers less features and people than ICC. Also, playing on FICS, I've found that people have no hesitation in spamming you with obscenities when they lose, and send you gloating tells when they win. Playchess doesn't have many Australians, mostly just Europeans, so it can often be hard to find a game during our evenings.

Mephistopheles
24-03-2009, 04:12 PM
FICS is my poison of choice. A mediocre player like me (last known ACF ~1500) can find decent opposition at most times and I almost exclusively play blitz.

Not sure why people mention interfaces with respect to FICS. There are plenty to choose from and some of them are even good.

Miranda
24-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Not sure why people mention interfaces with respect to FICS. There are plenty to choose from and some of them are even good.
Once you've tried the ICC interfaces, you'll realise what you're missing.

eclectic
24-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Once you've tried the ICC interfaces, you'll realise what you're missing.

yeah!

i'm still missing my chess set!

:snooty:

Miranda
24-03-2009, 05:09 PM
yeah!

i'm still missing my chess set!

:snooty:
hmm strange... send a message to the ICC staff. I've recieved my book signed by Kasparov :)

eclectic
24-03-2009, 05:11 PM
hmm strange... send a message to the ICC staff. I've recieved my book signed by Kasparov :)

have done
it's sure to turn up
maybe kasparov is engraving his signature on each piece
:eek:

Miranda
24-03-2009, 05:14 PM
have done
it's sure to turn up
maybe kasparov is engraving his signature on each piece
:eek:
Let me guess, you're a glass-half-full sort of person? :lol:

eclectic
24-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Let me guess, you're a glass-half-full sort of person? :lol:

it only looks that way to me because i drank the first half! :cool: ;)

ER
24-03-2009, 06:31 PM
You sure it wasn't this http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2344 particular chess set? :hmm: :rolleyes: :doh:

useless patzer
25-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I find I make a lot more silly mistakes playing online then I do OTB and I find it way harder to concentrate. Does anyone else have this sort of problem?

ER
25-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I find I make a lot more silly mistakes playing online then I do OTB and I find it way harder to concentrate. Does anyone else have this sort of problem?
It happens to me too! I think this is a similar situation as when some of us are facing chess computers. We don't seem to produce our best. I am not sure why this happens!

eclectic
25-03-2009, 08:19 PM

it find the opposite as at home i don't get distracted by the presence of people

useless patzer
25-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Of course, it is hard to concentrate properly when I am playing on the computer. Tonight's misadventure involved me calculating a difficult but savable defence when the cat promptly marched over the keyboard and disconnected me.

Feline interruptus is a real hazard for me when I am online, I have to say. :wall:

ER
29-03-2009, 06:37 PM
By the way I always have my chat thingy closed when on FICS.

eclectic
29-03-2009, 06:46 PM
here's a nice side serving to FICS:

www.ficsgames.com

check out games stats graphs of people who play there

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
30-03-2009, 05:31 AM

i find i also dont concentrate as much on FICS than i would playing a human opponent.

my first reason is -

## i seem to encounter players rated 100-200 points above me (1700-1800) on FICS mysteriously getting disconnected quite regularly when it is apparent that they will be losing. (this has occured maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 3 months even though i dont log on a great deal). ratings points i worked hard for that suddenly dissapear into thin air. grrrrrrrrrr.

second -

## i cant obviously see my opponent, and sometimes their performance belies their rating. this isnt too common, but i do have my suspicions with a few players i have taken on that they may be receiving silicon help. computer assisted help is pretty easy to use and thats another reason why im a little reserved when using internet chess servers.

third -

## your more accountable in front of another human being because they commit to memory your appearance. no aninimity to be had. therefore you are less likely to make a gross blunder and have a fellow chess player remember you as "that rube who lost his/her rook en prise" for example.

i dont think my rating would be increased to astronomical levels (maybe 40-50 points at most) with the points ive mentioned , but id much prefer playing people face to face.

CameronD
30-03-2009, 07:07 AM
There is a command where before a game, if a player disconnects, they forfeit the game. I always have this on, but the default for it is off.

i find i also dont concentrate as much on FICS than i would playing a human opponent.

my first reason is -

## i seem to encounter players rated 100-200 points above me (1700-1800) on FICS mysteriously getting disconnected quite regularly when it is apparent that they will be losing. (this has occured maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 3 months even though i dont log on a great deal). ratings points i worked hard for that suddenly dissapear into thin air. grrrrrrrrrr.

second -

## i cant obviously see my opponent, and sometimes their performance belies their rating. this isnt too common, but i do have my suspicions with a few players i have taken on that they may be receiving silicon help. computer assisted help is pretty easy to use and thats another reason why im a little reserved when using internet chess servers.

third -

## your more accountable in front of another human being because they commit to memory your appearance. no aninimity to be had. therefore you are less likely to make a gross blunder and have a fellow chess player remember you as "that rube who lost his/her rook en prise" for example.

i dont think my rating would be increased to astronomical levels (maybe 40-50 points at most) with the points ive mentioned , but id much prefer playing people face to face.

Desmond
30-03-2009, 08:28 AM
my first reason is -

This should be a win for you, surely.
(I see Cameron also addressed this)

Miranda
30-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Ace, that's why I use ICC. They have a computer-cheater catching team, and if people disconnect while you're winning you can get the game adjudicated quickly so you get your points.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
30-03-2009, 08:38 AM
cheers cameron. ill check that function out next time.

i think (and i may be wrong) the server still saves these games that get disconnected so that they can be finished off when both players are online again at the same time. but the chances of both players being online at the same time arent great.

eclectic
30-03-2009, 01:28 PM
cheers cameron. ill check that function out next time.

i think (and i may be wrong) the server still saves these games that get disconnected so that they can be finished off when both players are online again at the same time. but the chances of both players being online at the same time arent great.

the function concerned is noescape; read help noescape on the server

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
30-03-2009, 02:51 PM
the function concerned is noescape; read help noescape on the server

cheers

useless patzer
30-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I went digging after just having a disconnect and I found this... Link (http://www.freechess.org/Help/HelpFiles/noescape.html)

noescape

Usage: set noescape <0|1>

If you and your opponent both have your noescape variables turned on (set to
1) when the game starts, then whoever disconnects during the game will
forfeit. The game will NOT be adjourned and stored. The game can still be
stored by a mutually agreed upon adjournment (with the adjourn command) or in
case of server shutdown, however.

Note that this feature only applies when both players have "noescape" turned
on. If either player has their noescape variable off when the game starts,
then the usual adjournment rules apply when one of the players disconnects.

Which is okay, but if you randomly pick an opponent that doesn't have this setting, they can still bugger off on you, as mine just did after he left a rook hanging, and then he got upset because I wouldn't let him take his move back!

What is with that 'takeback' function anyway? What is this, chess or playschool? I am going to go digging to see if I can't find a script that I can set so it won't apply.

eclectic
30-03-2009, 03:12 PM
simply type

set notakeback 1

then look at your variables (vars username) and you will see notabeback 1

useless patzer
30-03-2009, 04:05 PM
simply type

set notakeback 1

then look at your variables (vars username) and you will see notabeback 1

Thank you, Eclectic :cool: :) Much appreciated

Sheroff
10-05-2009, 09:57 PM
I have found ICC fine, and there is no shortage of competition. I think if you're 1600 and below, there are plenty of other choices, but I like to know that I can come up against a strong IM or even a GM occasionally (I've even had a few games against Smerdon on ICC). I do find it harder to get a 5-0 game than a 3-0 game, but otherwise no complaints.

Of course, the real problem with internet chess is that it's rather addictive - before you know it the dishes aren't done, the lawn's not mowed, the trash isn't taken out, but hey, just one more game won't hurt... and then another...

Basil
10-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Of course, the real problem with internet chess is that it's rather addictive - before you know it the dishes aren't done, the lawn's not mowed, the trash isn't taken out, but hey, just one more game won't hurt... and then another...
Amen brother! I don't use chess servers these days ... but when I did ... oh boy.

AzureBlue
11-05-2009, 09:03 PM
ICC and ICC only cos it's got lots of players and events (tourneys all the time), you can observe GM games, play lotsa variants and basically there's lots of functionality :)