PDA

View Full Version : Russian Crazy Chess Killer

WhiteElephant
16-12-2006, 08:21 AM
From The Sydney Morning Herald

Russian 'Crazy Chess Killer' charged

December 15, 2006 - 3:14PM

A Russian man dubbed the Crazy Chess Killer has been charged with 49 murders but failed to achieve his goal of 64 - one for each square on a chess board.

Investigators say Alexander Pichushkin has confessed to murdering 62 people during a six-year killing spree.

But they have only been able to charge him with 49 counts of murder because Pichushkin can't say where the rest of the bodies are.

He allegedly told police soon after his arrest in June that he planned to kill one person for every square on a chess board, but regretfully added there were a few "vacant" squares, and that he'd not fulfilled his goal.

Most of the victims were elderly men, with 14 bodies - including that of a co-worker Marina Moskaleva - found in the same Moscow park.

Pichushkin had worked at the same grocery store with Moskaleva and it was the discovery of her body on June 14 that led to his arrest.

Moskaleva had left her son a note with Pichushkin's number on it before she was found dead.

When questioned, Pichushkin boastfully told police he had killed not just her but 61 others.

The murders Pichushkin described stretched across various parks and other locations across the city, starting in 2000.

With little in the way of age, gender or career linking the victims, investigators say the only pattern they have established in the deaths is that they were caused by a blow to the head.

Alexander Kshevitsky, a Russian federal investigations official, said medical experts would decide whether Pichushkin was sane enough to stand trial.

He said many bodies remained unaccounted for.

"In a few cases, there aren't victims, but missing people," Kshevitsky said.

qpawn
16-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah. Been a few nuttos like this guy.

Wasn't there a case in the UK where a guy died and left clues about a murder in a chess code? I think that the police hired Raymond Keene to crack the code?

Jesus.

If the muderer were into cricket...one murder for every run scored in the Ashes series...shudder. :eek:

The only hope then would be to convince him that Ashley Giles was going to make a double century and tell him to stake the muder count on Giles' runs..:D

Rincewind
16-12-2006, 10:44 AM
I think a lot of chess players are borderline psychotic. This russian dude is just the tip of the iceberg.

Ian Rout
16-12-2006, 11:48 AM
I think a lot of chess players are borderline psychotic. This russian dude is just the tip of the iceberg.
Yes, but is he a "chess player" or just someone who is attracted by the imagery and maybe knows the basics? I don't see the name on the FIDE rating list.

Basil
16-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Ian, I think you might be challenging the comment just a little too intensely. I'm not sure it was offered as a scientific certainty - although I'd try and swear to its veracity! ;)

WhiteElephant
16-12-2006, 01:14 PM

I agree with that. With a high IQ, there are often associated 'problems' :)

WhiteElephant
16-12-2006, 01:15 PM
The media seem to be picking up these serial killer stories at the moment because of the publicity this Ipswich Ripper/ Suffolk Strangler guy is getting.

ElevatorEscapee
16-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Lettuce not dwell upon the tip of the iceberg!

Ian Rout
16-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Ian, I think you might be challenging the comment just a little too intensely. I'm not sure it was offered as a scientific certainty - although I'd try and swear to its veracity! ;)
I'm not sensitive about it, I know that I'm sane. But without a bit more chess content to either the murders or the murderer it isn't a particularly convincing demonstration of either a chess player going mad or a maniac being attracted to chess. It's just a way of coming up with a number in the 50-100 region. He could have chosen 72 for the number of holes in a golf tournament without being a golfer.

Basil
16-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm not sensitive about it, I know that I'm sane. But without a bit more chess content to either the murders or the murderer it isn't a particularly convincing demonstration of either a chess player going mad or a maniac being attracted to chess. It's just a way of coming up with a number in the 50-100 region. He could have chosen 72 for the number of holes in a golf tournament without being a golfer.
Quite. I think RW would probably agree.

To avoid any future confusion, posts from me such as similar to that posted by RW will carry a clear disclaimer that the intent is purely tongue in cheek.

antichrist
16-12-2006, 03:58 PM
we should all make a pact to have a chess board and maybe pieces on our tombstones - pieces in a checkmated position of course

Aaron Guthrie
16-12-2006, 05:21 PM
we should all make a pact to have a chess board and maybe pieces on our tombstones - pieces in a checkmated position of course

See entry 4452 from Chess Notes by Edward Winter (http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter24.html) for an example of this.

antichrist
16-12-2006, 07:10 PM
See entry 4452 from Chess Notes by Edward Winter (http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter24.html) for an example of this.

thanks, not bad, we should try and find a sympathetic tombstoner, may have to be done in Italy

Desmond
16-12-2006, 09:40 PM
I think the real solution to that problem is 0-0 however, not Kd9.

Aaron Guthrie
16-12-2006, 10:02 PM
I think the real solution to that problem is 0-0 however, not Kd9.
In which case the board is upside-down. In which case that would most certainly be the preferable solution, lest the move be a descension rather than an ascension.

Rincewind
16-12-2006, 11:03 PM
I know that I'm sane.

I assume you are familiar with phenomenology. :)

But Howard is, on this occasion, correct. I was having a lend. But many a true word has been spoken in jest. ;)