PDA

View Full Version : was it that bad?

qpawn
04-12-2006, 06:56 PM
I read an article on Anatoli Sirota's chess career yesterday. In it he describes the Australian chess championships as being atrocious becuase 300 players were crammed into the Melbourne town hall. Was this event, a few years, really that bad?

firegoat7
04-12-2006, 10:08 PM
I read an article on Anatoli Sirota's chess career yesterday. In it he describes the Australian chess championships as being atrocious becuase 300 players were crammed into the Melbourne town hall. Was this event, a few years, really that bad?

Well its all subjective ain't it.
I don't recall Sirota even playing in the event. If memory serves me correct wasn't he providing fritz analysis for the bulletins?

cheers Fg7

eclectic
04-12-2006, 10:27 PM

Was this 2001/2002 with it being played in the long balcony or dining type room on the first floor?

MichaelBaron
05-12-2006, 12:31 AM

Where was the article pubished?

qpawn
05-12-2006, 07:20 PM
I found it on the net once when I googled his name to gte his correspondence chess games. It was an interview where he said that Australian ches s sucks compared to the standard in Ukraine, and that this is a cricket mad country that treats chess like leprosy. :eek:

antichrist
05-12-2006, 08:07 PM
I found it on the net once when I googled his name to gte his correspondence chess games. It was an interview where he said that Australian ches s sucks compared to the standard in Ukraine, and that this is a cricket mad country that treats chess like leprosy. :eek:

Just remind this guy that the Ukrainian Cultural and Youth Club champ is a Lebo and they short-changed him in the prize department and did not run the comp anymore, and they still owe him a few trophies. THey can treat outsiders like leprosy if they are winners.

qpawn
06-12-2006, 03:01 PM
:d

Kevin Bonham
06-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I found a link to an interview with him but it appears to no longer be up.

If it's Melbourne 2001/02, I was there and I found nothing wrong with the playing hall (quite the contrary) although analysis space was very inadequate. And the number of players was nothing like 300. It was about 170.

qpawn
07-12-2006, 04:46 PM
It was about the 2002 champs from memory.

Mr Sirota was a fine player once, and still is in correspondence chess. But he had some weak OTB performances here. There are strong players in Austarlia besides Messrs Rogers and Johansen even if Sirota doesn't recognise it.