PDA

View Full Version : reason for this BB

chesslover
18-04-2004, 12:51 PM
I have been thinking about this chessBB. This is an open letter to BB participants.

What we should do is use this BB for good, rather than go into childlike abueses and point scoring. It is fine having a roubust and vigerous debate in the interest of australian chess or NSW chess (other people can have threads where they discuss issues of concernm to their state, and the Mexicans have their own thread for this).

This is essentially what Jason Lyons had said too. I have a lot of admiration and time for Jason, which alas is not reciprocated, as Jason projects his arbiter-OTB player relationship to activities outside the chess board. I am disspointed but he is entitled to his opinion, and what others think or act is their business.

I find it amaxzing and unproductive that so much effort has been spent in guessing who I am. All people needed to do was PM me and they would have known, or ask me in real life. As for who I am, well Greg Canfell (Feeble Master no more!!!) was right when he said that there were 3 of us, and that we share a common bond - one of which is belief in God. An unholy Trinity if you must!!! Only one is active, with the others emailing any information that they wanted psoted. Given that Greg has identified 2 of us, it is easy to guess who the third one is, as there is a common bond that links us
together. If people spent half the time on figuring out how to improve Australian chess, than they spent on figuring me out, this BB would have been a significant plus to AUstralian chess.

So I think people in the BB should use the BB to forward Australian chess and discuss ideas. I must admit that there have been occasions when I have been over the top, but that is because I am passionate amnd emotional and a devout believer in some issues. Thus when people talk about appeals I get upset that people cannot see how this is the first step in the road to dictatorships. But must learn to accept the views of others that
are different to mine. It is just that having been living in eastern europe, you tend to appreciate and love democracy and fairness a lot more. In addition I dont want my daughter to grow up in a top-down, order based country, but rather a country where the people (and chess players) have a say in how we (and chess) are governed.

People also think I troll and in some isssues maybe I do unwittingly. Just so that people udnertsand, I am passionate about US Presidential Politics and God, and indeed I spend time in other BBs and Chats talking about these issues - indeed my interests in US Presidential elections and God is far more than my interests in chess. In all other issues, I am generally a moderate and am prepared to listen to others and amend my views accordingly - this is true in chess and true in life. Indeed my employees in the shop that I manage, think that I am a sane, logical, rational man who is a great boss.

So sorry if people were upset by me, and I urge people to use this BB for good of AUstralain chess. I thus unilaterally decide to do that from now on , which I had been trying to do by the way, and will consiously stop trying to get into arguements

Let us use this BB for the good of Australian chess

PHAT
18-04-2004, 01:09 PM
I, for one, cannot be arsed to trawl Canfell's posts to find out who he speculates you were. So, just tell me, who are two of you. :confused:

Rincewind
18-04-2004, 03:16 PM
I, for one, cannot be arsed to trawl Canfell's posts to find out who he speculates you were. So, just tell me, who are two of you. :confused:

Jose and Nick I think.

Ian Rout
18-04-2004, 03:29 PM
I have been thinking about this chessBB. This is an open letter to BB participants.

(lines and lines of masturbation)

Why is this not in the non-chess section? Do the chesslovers not understand the system or are they trying out how much they can get away with before Kevin suspends them?

Rincewind
18-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Why is this not in the non-chess section? Do the chesslovers not understand the system or are they trying out how much they can get away with before Kevin suspends them?

Good suggestion. Consider it moved. ;)

Paul S
18-04-2004, 06:18 PM
What we should do is use this BB for good, rather than go into childlike abueses and point scoring.

I fully agree! :lol:

I find it amaxzing and unproductive that so much effort has been spent in guessing who I am. All people needed to do was PM me and they would have known, or ask me in real life. As for who I am, well Greg Canfell (Feeble Master no more!!!) was right when he said that there were 3 of us, and that we share a common bond - one of which is belief in God. An unholy Trinity if you must!!! Only one is active, with the others emailing any information that they wanted psoted. Given that Greg has identified 2 of us, it is easy to guess who the third one is, as there is a common bond that links us
together. If people spent half the time on figuring out how to improve Australian chess, than they spent on figuring me out, this BB would have been a significant plus to AUstralian chess.

So why didn't you "nip in the bud" the 500+ posts on "Who is Chesslover" by coming out and telling us who you (singular or plural) actually are?

Chesslover, if YOU spent half the time that you spend looking/posting on this BB doing some chess admin work instead, then this would be a significant PLUS to Australian chess!

So I think people in the BB should use the BB to forward Australian chess and discuss ideas. I must admit that there have been occasions when I have been over the top, but that is because I am passionate amnd emotional and a devout believer in some issues. Thus when people talk about appeals I get upset that people cannot see how this is the first step in the road to dictatorships. But must learn to accept the views of others that
are different to mine. It is just that having been living in eastern europe, you tend to appreciate and love democracy and fairness a lot more. In addition I dont want my daughter to grow up in a top-down, order based country, but rather a country where the people (and chess players) have a say in how we (and chess) are governed.

Yes, I admit that I too get carried away on this BB on occasions!

IMHO you are "pulling our leg" with your claim of being from Eastern Europe. Appeals processes are fine, but the way you carried on with the "NECG Appeals issue" was unacceptable (I agree with Paul B's views on this).

People also think I troll and in some isssues maybe I do unwittingly. Just so that people udnertsand, I am passionate about US Presidential Politics and God, and indeed I spend time in other BBs and Chats talking about these issues - indeed my interests in US Presidential elections and God is far more than my interests in chess. In all other issues, I am generally a moderate and am prepared to listen to others and amend my views accordingly - this is true in chess and true in life. Indeed my employees in the shop that I manage, think that I am a sane, logical, rational man who is a great boss.

I agree with some of your (chess and non-chess) views, but disagree with others.

However, I acknowledge that you add some much needed "life and character" to this BB (especially since Matt has gone quiet in recent months) and that this BB is a much more colourful place for your input.

So sorry if people were upset by me, and I urge people to use this BB for good of AUstralain chess. I thus unilaterally decide to do that from now on , which I had been trying to do by the way, and will consiously stop trying to get into arguements

Let us use this BB for the good of Australian chess

NO arguments from me on this! Indeed, I had tried (but apparently failed) to achieve this with my constructive idea for "Best 2003 BB Post Prize", but unfortunately a lot of other BB users disagreed (preferring instead to argue and criticize)!

Kevin Bonham
18-04-2004, 06:54 PM
What we should do is use this BB for good, rather than go into childlike abueses and point scoring.

Thus when people talk about appeals I get upset that people cannot see how this is the first step in the road to dictatorships.

The inconsistency of the above statements says it all really. Melodramatically beating up a trivial issue as a footstep to dictatorship is on an even lower level in my book than "childlike abuses and point scoring". Try to stop exaggerating so often if you want to be taken seriously.

As for who I am, well Greg Canfell (Feeble Master no more!!!) was right when he said that there were 3 of us, and that we share a common bond - one of which is belief in God. An unholy Trinity if you must!!! Only one is active, with the others emailing any information that they wanted psoted.

Plausible enough, I've always believed the CL writings on this BB clearly came from a single person.

chesslover
18-04-2004, 10:43 PM

i am offended by this

I have done nothing wrong. I posted for I thougght that the reason for a BB should be in the main section. Maybe I was wrong, but there was no reason for ian to state in the quote "lines of masterbation" or be so rude

anyway the arbiter has ruled and I will accept the decision where this thread should be

PHAT
19-04-2004, 10:38 AM
...especially since Matt has gone quiet in recent months...

That is about to change. I have been way busy lately, but have two issues in the oven: the rating algorithm and byes.

With the rating system debates, I ran out of steam because of :wall: . However, a few weeks back, in that half awake half asleep state that seems to produce de novo ideas, I saw a solution. :eek:

Byes are now in my cross hairs, again. At the Doeberl I had a few hours of cordial ropability (!?) that had at its root, the byyyyyyyye. :evil:

ursogr8
19-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Byes are now in my cross hairs, again. At the Doeberl I had a few hours of cordial ropability (!?) that had at its root, the byyyyyyyye. :evil:

hi Matt

I had a quick look at unpaired players in round 1. Were you able to have a coffee with player 64 in the Premier Division?

starter

Paul S
19-04-2004, 11:12 AM
hi Matt

I had a quick look at unpaired players in round 1. Were you able to have a coffee with player 64 in the Premier Division?

starter

Wasn't the first round of the Doeberl the round that had the problem with running out of foam coffee cups? ;) :p :hmm: :whistle:

Lucena
19-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Jose and Nick I think.

and he thought amiel too as well I recall

ursogr8
19-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Wasn't the first round of the Doeberl the round that had the problem with running out of foam coffee cups? ;) :p :hmm: :whistle:

Paul S
Really cute observation of yours. Completely diverts from my question to Matt....grrr.

Have you got time on your hands? Are you on leave or something? If so, you may wish to ask KB (or one of the higher rated players) how to play against juniors. The strategy should be the same correctly-rated or under-rated, in the circumstance where they are less than your capability.

starter

Gandalf
19-04-2004, 02:03 PM
:)

I'll read and comment on this later.

Paul S
19-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Paul S
Really cute observation of yours. Completely diverts from my question to Matt....grrr.

No diversion at all! Your question to Matthew was whether or not he had coffee with "Player #64" or not. :lol: ;)

BTW, Starter, why didn't you come to the 2004 Doeberl? I would have liked to see you - indeed I got a kick out of meeting some "BB identities" for the first time at this year's Doeberl such as Paul B (although I would have liked to meet other BB identities aswell, such as Jenni Oliver and yourself). Perhaps we can meet at the 2005 Doeberl?

Paul S
Have you got time on your hands? Are you on leave or something? If so, you may wish to ask KB (or one of the higher rated players) how to play against juniors. The strategy should be the same correctly-rated or under-rated, in the circumstance where they are less than your capability.

Yes, I am on annual leave today (1 day's annual leave). I am in a bit of "trouble" at my workplace for having just over 40 days (8 weeks) annual leave accumulated, and have been "strongly encouraged" to get it below 40 days "ASAP", hence my day off work today (also, its nice to have a 3 day weekend!). BTW (as a result of today off work), I think I am now just under 40 days annual leave at the moment - a couple of years ago I had about 70 days (14 weeks) annual leave accumulated!

ursogr8
19-04-2004, 05:15 PM
No diversion at all! Your question to Matthew was whether or not he had coffee with "Player #64" or not. :lol: ;)

I was hoping that player #64 was in the arena for round 1 and also had a bye. But no-one has confirmed that to me.

BTW, Starter, why didn't you come to the 2004 Doeberl? I would have liked to see you - indeed I got a kick out of meeting some "BB identities" for the first time at this year's Doeberl such as Paul B (although I would have liked to meet other BB identities aswell, such as Jenni Oliver and yourself). Perhaps we can meet at the 2005 Doeberl?

This report about your activities in Canberra is very attractive. With advocates like you the Doeberl will be even larger next year.

Yes, I am on annual leave today (1 day's annual leave). !

I guessed so. Your task now is how to learn to play against juniors and not lose rating points. There are strategies you perhaps should adopt. Perhaps e6 rather than e5. Time for you to get expert help...try Kevin or... .

arosar
19-04-2004, 05:18 PM
I was hoping that player #64 was in the arena for round 1 and also had a bye. But no-one has confirmed that to me.

Yes, he was...

AR

ursogr8
19-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Yes, he was...

AR

From my remote position it seems that Matt had a round 1 bye, and is an unhappy chappy.
And player #64 had a round 1 bye.
But the structure of the events is such that there is no intermingling of the two fields via pairings.
I resist suggesting how to avoid this occurring. But I await Matt's promised further comments on this occurrence.

starter

ps
AR,the identity of player #64 in the Premier does not have implication for this bye-bye does it?

Paul S
19-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Your task now is how to learn to play against juniors and not lose rating points. There are strategies you perhaps should adopt. Perhaps e6 rather than e5. Time for you to get expert help...try Kevin or... .

Or make sure I win my first 2 games in the Minor (U1600) at next year's Doeberl (and thereby hopefully avoid all the underrated Juniors!).

Or maybe play in the Major (U2000) division in the 2005 Doeberl? No doubt some 1700 or so rated players will take it easy (be lulled into a false sense of security) against me and I can then get a WIN or draw against them (and do unto others what some underrated Juniors did to me this year!). ;) :p

jenni
19-04-2004, 06:18 PM
(although I would have liked to meet other BB identities aswell, such as Jenni Oliver and yourself).

I was there - I was the one handing out Easter Eggs on the Sunday - you should have come and said hello. I found it rather fun to meet a few people such as AR.

ursogr8
19-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Or make sure I win my first 2 games in the Minor (U1600) at next year's Doeberl (and thereby hopefully avoid all the underrated Juniors!).

Or maybe play in the Major (U2000) division in the 2005 Doeberl? No doubt some 1700 or so rated players will take it easy (be lulled into a false sense of security) against me and I can then get a WIN or draw against them (and do unto others what some underrated Juniors did to me this year!). ;) :p

Your mission is clear Paul S.
Learn the strategy to beat lower rated juniors.

Now, where will you practice this, (after a few lessons from your mates on the BB)? Canterbury?

starter

arosar
30-06-2005, 04:53 PM
bump

AR