PDA

View Full Version : chess books

JonasMuller
01-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm looking for some good chess books. Could anyone please recommend any good chess books?

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2006, 07:45 PM
I suggest be more specific - what kind of thing are you after? Training? Entertainment? Improvement? Theory? History? etc.

antichrist
01-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Think like a Grandmaster seems to get good support though I have never read it.

Denis_Jessop
01-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Also it would be good to know what playing strength you are as, for example, some books are excellent for beginners but not for others and some are for advanced players only in that they will only confuse a lesser player. The reputation accorded some books doesn't take this into account.

DJ

JonasMuller
02-12-2006, 10:00 AM
I suggest be more specific - what kind of thing are you after? Training? Entertainment? Improvement? Theory? History? etc.

improvment

JonasMuller
02-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Also it would be good to know what playing strength you are as, for example, some books are excellent for beginners but not for others and some are for advanced players only in that they will only confuse a lesser player. The reputation accorded some books doesn't take this into account.

DJ
i'm definetley not a beginner. I'm advanced and have a rating of about 1600. As long as the book isn't for beginners.

antichrist
02-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Is that ACF adult or Gold Coast adult or junior?

JonasMuller
02-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Is that ACF adult or Gold Coast adult or junior?

Gold Coast junior

Denis_Jessop
03-12-2006, 11:59 AM
According to the latest ACF Rating list you are 1510!! with 30 games in the current period so as a Gold Coast Junior 1600 is probably not a bad guess :) (I looked up the rating list after my earlier post.)

As for books, for starters, a very good general book is Secrets of Practical Chess by John Nunn. Being a decrepit super-vet of about the same standard, I was amazed to discover that it was published by Gambit in 1998 as it seems only two or three years since I bought it but that's how it gets at my age. I hope it's still in print as it's a book that doesn't date due to changes in theory. It's short - 175 pages - and deals, as it promises with practical issues of relevance to mid-strength players in an uncomplicated way. I have bought many chess books over the years and in my opinion it's one of the best for useful advice rather than detailed analysis or sheer reference. There are heaps of books available but very few like this.

DJ

JonasMuller
04-12-2006, 07:34 AM
ok, thx

broadbear
20-12-2006, 10:55 PM
According to the latest ACF Rating list you are 1510!! with 30 games in the current period so as a Gold Coast Junior 1600 is probably not a bad guess :) (I looked up the rating list after my earlier post.)

As for books, for starters, a very good general book is Secrets of Practical Chess by John Nunn. Being a decrepit super-vet of about the same standard, I was amazed to discover that it was published by Gambit in 1998 as it seems only two or three years since I bought it but that's how it gets at my age. I hope it's still in print as it's a book that doesn't date due to changes in theory. It's short - 175 pages - and deals, as it promises with practical issues of relevance to mid-strength players in an uncomplicated way. I have bought many chess books over the years and in my opinion it's one of the best for useful advice rather than detailed analysis or sheer reference. There are heaps of books available but very few like this.

DJ

hey bro where did u gt tt book from? can gt it from popular??

Denis_Jessop
21-12-2006, 09:36 PM
hey bro where did u gt tt book from? can gt it from popular??

I'm not sure but I see that Australian Chess Enterprises has it.

DJ

Brian_Jones
22-12-2006, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure but I see that Australian Chess Enterprises has it.

DJ

Yes, we do! http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=detail&o=1901983013

I also hear that there is a revised version out next year!

MichaelBaron
22-12-2006, 02:17 PM
need a chess book? try www.amazon.com ;)

Desmond
22-12-2006, 06:12 PM
need a chess book? try www.amazon.com ;)No, support Australian businesses instead.

ElevatorEscapee
22-12-2006, 06:57 PM
what, amazon.com.au? ;)