PDA

View Full Version : Online Chess Community

xaster
22-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi All,

I am a Final Year student at the University of Lincoln (Hull Campus). For my final year project, I have decided to make an online chess community that will enable users to discuss all matters that relate to chess and formulate a large proportion of the content that is displayed on it.

Some of the website categories are:

General: Forum Discussion

News: The user can submit news articles relating to chess. These articles are submitted in date order and the latest submission will be displayed on the home page. This process will ensure that the website remains up to date.

Tournaments: The user can submit details about upcoming tournaments (location, entry fee, contact details etc). the latest upcoming tournament submission wll also be displayed on the home page to attract the attention of users.

Clubs: The user is able to search regions within or outside the UK for chess clubs, but also users can submit chess clubs. This would appeal to chess club organisers as well as new players who wish to get into the game.

Matches: Users can submit recorded matches. Feedback/ Discussion.

Learn How To Play: Advice/ Guidance/ Queries. I am considering opening the realms of interactivity within this section. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions. At the end of the day, there is no chess community without community input.

Yours Sincerely,

David Kelly.

ER
24-11-2006, 12:03 PM
I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions. At the end of the day, there is no chess community without community input.

Hi David and with all due respect, but how would your website differ to our forum? This forum provides everything you are referring to as far as services to the Chess Community are concerned!
Cheers and good luck!

Watto
24-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi David and with all due respect, but how would your website differ to our forum? This forum provides everything you are referring to as far as services to the Chess Community are concerned!
Cheers and good luck!
Well, since David's based in the UK, I presume hes wanting to establish an online UK chess community and just looking for feedback and suggestions from us
I might be wrong but I dont think hes trying to set up an Australian online chess community might want to swop links though.. :)

My tip: a pgn viewer is essential.

Brian_Jones
24-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Well there you go - a University of Lincoln!

How things change. In my day there was always a University of Hull.

But no University of Lincoln. Lincoln was just an old roman city with an impressive cathedral!

fletch
24-11-2006, 02:11 PM
there was a interesting point in the chat box.
would u allow a user to call someone a retard in your forum.

ER
25-11-2006, 01:38 AM
Well there you go - a University of Lincoln!

How things change. In my day there was always a University of Hull.

But no University of Lincoln. Lincoln was just an old roman city with an impressive cathedral!

yep, and I checked their website, they have the Cathedral photo there as well and it looks majestic http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/

cheers and good luck

xaster
25-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Thanks for your suggestions so far. I will definately incorporate a pgn viewer. My aim is to estable a UK online chess community, I just wanted to appeal and gain feedback from potential users.

Thanks again and please continue to offer suggestions and feedback.

David Kelly.

xaster
25-11-2006, 05:28 AM
Also, if you can think of any other features/ services that other communities don't offer, but you would like them implemented into a chess community website, please feel free to comment.

David Kelly.

ElevatorEscapee
25-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Hi Xaster, the "Shoutbox" here is a lot of fun (I believe that it is code that can be downloaded freely and adapted to your bulletin board). It fills a hole somewhere in between an Internet chatroom and a bulletin board.

Cheers,

~EE

mikexx2020
25-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Im doing the same at
www.ChessChitChat.com

Chess Chit Chat (http://www.ChessChitChat.com)

xaster
10-06-2007, 09:57 PM
My online chess community for my final year project is now online. Please register at http://www.davidkelly.lincoln.ac.uk

Please check it out and join a new chess community.

Thanks,

David Kelly.

xaster
16-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Thank You to all thos people who registered at Chess Members.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

http://www.davidkelly.lincoln.ac.uk