PDA

View Full Version : THE SECOND most tired issue on THE BB

Basil
21-11-2006, 01:20 AM
It was difficult to know where to put this thread - although a few ideas did suggest themselves ;)

Throughout 2006, Dion Sampson has pondered wistfully (and written boorishly) the demise of the CAQ's "Qld Chess Magazine" of 2001. Yup. 200 and bleeding 1!

Not only was this magazine (rightfully but sadly) killed off by a Council before my time and by Councillors who foreshadowed its planned obsolescence a full 12 months in advance, Laurel insists on regularly asking the "unanswered" questions of me. He's even banging on in the 2006 AGM thread in readiness for 2007!!!!! Is this a record ?????
(As president of the CAQ the following year in '02, I initiated and published a snail mail newsletter primarily for our membership who didn't have access to e-mail, although it was sent to all members.

Dion's questions have been answered ad nauseam :rolleyes: including in the final edition of his beloved magazine - Dec '01 (nudge: it was too expensive and time consuming to produce, Dion. That and there were no volunteers. Oh and that internet had usurped the technology).

For Mr Sampson's delectation and in an effort to put him out of his misery I reproduce in full the then editor's foreword from that final issue. So, Dion, when it next gnaws away at you thus:

What happened to the 64-page (then 40-page) quarterly publications then? Was there feedback saying they weren't desired? What decisions were made?

Do you think the newsletter format was bad? Did you need more CAQ resources to complete it? Did you need more assistance with its publication? These things need to be answered

Years ago, we used to get a 64 page booklet, that reduced to 40 pages, and then 4...

The newsletter was only 4 pages ...

I will point you back here. Oklie Doklie?
---------------------------------

FROM "QUEENSLAND CHESS MAGAZINE" December 2001
:: prior to Howard Duggan's time on Council ::

Queensland Chess Magazine 1987 - 2001
Queensland Chess Magazine was reborn in 1987, when I agreed to a CAQ request to produce a 16 page quarterly magazine (the size was always exceeded, never less than 32 pages). By today's standards the product was primitive but effective, first produced on Commodore 64 computer and dot matrix printer, with lots of cut and paste additions the old fashioned way with scissors and glue. Modern desktop publishing technology allowed publication of a world class magazine in recent years.

New editors (David McKinnon and Alison Spiers, Kevin Casey, Wally Djachenko, Jacob Edwards) came and went, and I finished up back in the chair for the swan song.

As forecast at the beginning of 2001, the magazine has outlived its usefulness - this is the final issue. Spiralling costs and the time and effort required to compose and print each issue sounded the death knell - information can be circulated by the internet and e-mail more efficiently, more timely and at a fraction of the cost.

So, with feelings of regret and relief, I wrap up this last issue ready to print.

Ian Murray
Editor

Desmond
21-11-2006, 07:44 AM
It was a sad day when the publication ceased. I liked receiving the magazine for the news of recent games (usually one or more annotated from Solo or some other local chess demi-god) and also, perhaps more importantly to me at the time, for my new rating. I think I even had a game or two of my own from the Qld Junior Champs in there, which made me feel famous.

However, there is no doubt in my mind that it had outlived its usefullness, and certainly has been superceded by the Internet. Now I can get that information immediately, rather than waiting for a quarterly publication, by visiting the CAQ website or relevant tournament websites as the case may be.

Of course, belty has had 5 years to replace the magazine, but I can't recall ever hearing about that.

Brian_Jones
21-11-2006, 07:57 AM
However, there is no doubt in my mind that it had outlived its usefullness, and certainly has been superceded by the Internet. Now I can get that information immediately, rather than waiting for a quarterly publication, by visiting the CAQ website or relevant tournament websites as the case may be..

There is still a place today for paper magazines to compliment what you can freely access on the internet.

Different editors bring different perspectives to the news and current affairs.

All I can say is "You don't know what you don't know!"

Brian Jones
Editor, Australian Chess magazine

Desmond
21-11-2006, 08:01 AM
There is still a place today for paper magazines to compliment what you can freely access on the internet.

Different editors bring different perspectives to the news and current affairs.

All I can say is "You don't know what you don't know!"While I'm sure that we can debate this issue all day, it seems you are primarily here to promote your magazine. I might consider subscribing; how 'bout a free sample?

Brian_Jones
21-11-2006, 08:29 AM
I might consider subscribing; how 'bout a free sample?

Of course you can have a free sample.

Please order one online and/or send your address to info@chessaustralia.com.au

arosar
21-11-2006, 08:46 AM
There is still a place for print publications. They just have to find a point of difference.

AR

Alan Shore
21-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for answering Howard.

Inspector Clouseau wants to ask a few more questions though.

On the second half of the page where you have quoted the editorial, it talks about CAQ membership changes, where there is no longer a requirement to join the CAQ by paying an annual fee - one gets automatically enrolled when they play a tournament.

So while it was sad the magazine had to end, if costs were too high then fair enough - the membership structure changed.

Enter Howard, who decided, we'll get the quote 'magazine' unquote, back out there (as not all players have regular internet access, to do it as a way of promoting events). So you join the CAQ for $10 extra to get this magazine. To my surprise though, when I paid my membership there were multiple occasions where I didn't get my magazines. When I did they were 2 pages (as one page was ratings and one page ads). So here's the thing - if the CAQ had of said the $10 was for other things such as tournament processing, ratings, equipment etc. that would have been fine, to stick with the original structure. Yet we had the feeling we were duped when we didn't get the promised magazine and when we did it was.. well, pretty bad, especially from someone in the magazine industry. Worse still, those missing issues didn't ably promote tournaments like they should have and tournament numbers suffered.

So why didn't you produce those magazine issues Howard? Were you not motivated enough? Did you not get enough support? Would you have been more committed if you were getting paid for doing it? These are helpful questions that if answered will aid possible future production.

Your problem is, you can't take negative feedback and you respond with abuse. You can't take criticism in any shape or form. How are we supposed to improve things if you have delusions that everything you do is perfect? Now do something positive for chess and give us some real answers rather than the usual abusive rubbish. I'm betting there's no way you can hold your tongue and you'll find some way of attacking me. It's not about you, it's about improvement.

Arrogant-One
21-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for answering Howard.

Inspector Clouseau wants to ask a few more questions though.
Actually Inspector, before you begin I have a question of my own.

Howard, I may have missed this because I've been away for the past month, but I recall you apologising in an earlier post that the year your life fell apart you only sent out half the number of CAQ Newsletters.

The Inspector then asked you why you did not delegate the remainer of the unpublished CAQ Newsletters to Ian Murray who, as shown in your posting above, clearly had publication and editorial experience.

If you answered this reasonable query I missed it, and ask that you answer it for me now, please.

eclectic
21-11-2006, 02:21 PM
If this is the second most tired issue on the BB then is there a way I can tick an ignore topic or ignore thread box?

Sorry.

PS It would be a good idea if the same could be done for the correspondence games threads.

That way there's no need to wade through extraneous material when I press the new posts button.

Kevin Bonham
21-11-2006, 02:42 PM
PS It would be a good idea if the same could be done for the correspondence games threads.

That way there's no need to wade through extraneous material when I press the new posts button.

Many posters find this annoying - admins have tried fixing it but without success.

antichrist
21-11-2006, 02:57 PM
What is the most tired issue? St George championship?? KB's DOPPING? Who is Chesslover?

Kevin Bonham
21-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I applaud antichrist for his honesty in including two of his own overflogged hobbyhorses in his list of three candidates. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Basil
21-11-2006, 11:09 PM
So why didn't you produce those magazine issues Howard?
Asked and answered multiple times. Resources. Volunteers. Time. Other commitments. Commuting interstate weekly. Birth of spastic son. You know it all. You keep asking. This is why this is the second most tired thread.

Were you not motivated enough? Would you have been more committed if you were getting paid for doing it?
Choice. There was actually one edition where I elected not to claim back the $80 odd printing costs as a donation to the CAQ and its members - and no it wasn't a tax deduction.

Your problem is, you can't take negative feedbackOK, thanks.

You can't take criticism in any shape or form.
OK, thanks.

How are we supposed to improve things if you have delusions that everything you do is perfect?
OK, thanks.

Desmond
14-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Of course you can have a free sample.

Please order one online and/or send your address to info@chessaustralia.com.au
Hi Brian,
You are a gentleman and a scholar. I received my free sample, and enjoyed it immensely. In particluar the column by IM JP Wallace. Thanks.

Basil
05-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Belthasar - you still around?

The CAQ newsletter ATM is the identical format as the one I inititated 4 years ago (Pat even asked if he could copy and paste my artwork!) and the same format you complained so bitterly about like a stuck pig for 12 months (just not quite so good quality, which is fair enough because I had the resources and expertise).

So, now that you are on Council doing absolutely nothing, but capable of making changes, I assume you have voiced your concerns over the format and are actively seeking to make changes!

No! You silly, dopey, useless, noisy, hypocritical, stirring, two-faced little sprog.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/scene66/smilies/spank2.gif

JGB
05-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Belthasar - you still around? ...No! You silly, ... two-faced l ...

Seeing as the last time he was online was two days after New Years, I assume he is not going to read this comment in the near future, if at all. Understanding that, do you think your offensive remarks are reasonable and did you try and contact Belthasar privately seeing as the matter is so important to you?

Basil
06-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Seeing as the last time he was online was two days after New Years, I assume he is not going to read this comment in the near future, if at all. Understanding that, do you think your offensive remarks are reasonable and did you try and contact Belthasar privately seeing as the matter is so important to you?

I think you'll find you're a little out of your depth on this one (from an information and background POV).

First, (your premise). He may well be lurking. I have no reason to believe otherwise. He is not 'off' the forum per se, he has been told by Powell not to post.

Second, (your conclusion). My remarks are more than reasonable in light of the basest of trolling that occurred last year. I'll get a short PM off to bring you broadly up to speed.

Third (your suggestion). The last time that clown and I corresponded via PM, he copied the entire CAQ Council into it. Yup. Choice. Now it backfired like 76 Gemini, but he did it nevertheless. Suffice to say, he's stuffed that privilege too.

And finally if I wanted to humiliate the little toe-rag for innumerate indiscretions, why on earth would I do it privately when the accusations were on the public record and the proof is only coming to light now?

Now I appreciate you and he might have been online buddies, but if you're a genuine bloke, and I believe you are, I hope you play the ball and not the man on this one.

Bereaved
06-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi Howard,

It seems to me that if someone's behaviour bothers you, address it with them.

If it bothered you to have previous issues brought to light here ( justified or unjustified; I don't have the appropriate background to comment, I live in Melbourne ) then why replicate the very behaviour that bothered you?

It seems to me that to do so is like trying to bait Belthasar to engage in a new flame war with you; is this what you are trying?

Reassure me Howard, and maybe it might even be easier if you let the matter go, and focus on the now, rather than the past. And when I say easier, I mean for you, not us ( other readers )

PS please feel free to ignore all of this,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

oh and really don't think the name calling does you or anyone else who engages in it any credit, or gives any extra merit to their posts

Basil
06-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi Malcolm

It seems to me that if someone's behaviour bothers you, address it with them.
For sure, but the behaviour that bothered me was on this BB! I am addressing it on the BB. Just because Dion's not here right now doesn't mean
a) I can't have it here for the public record
b) He won't read it
c) Other interested parties won't read it

It seems to me that to do so is like trying to bait Belthasar to engage in a new flame war with you; is this what you are trying?
No. I am setting the public record straight. Much of what he said is only able to be set straight now, viz:
-- his commentary on the performance of the CAQ regarding tournament numbers
-- his commentary on the newsletter

He did a lot of damage, which as you rightly point you are unaware of. Suffice to say that many in Qld and the Squad have a far better idea.

Reassure me Howard
Consider yourself reassured.

and maybe it might even be easier if you let the matter go Almost ready to let the matter go. Nearly squared the card and the public record.

Please feel free to ignore all of this
Not at all. Your suggestions and commentary are more than reasonable observations.

oh and really don't think the name calling does you or anyone else who engages in it any credit, or gives any extra merit to their posts
Indeed. I do try and I am improving.

Watto
06-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Mr Hyde's back... :(

Basil
06-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Mr Hyde's back... :(
No, not true, Jean. I don't plan on going on with it (although I was pursued all last year and what an easy target a president makes for a troll). I do have a fair point to make in terms of vindication that is now only becoming possible.

Please wait for more than a day before leaping to such conclusions.

I'd appreciate it
Howard

PS I've said it before and I'll request it again. The so-called independent commentary was, and now is, very lop-sided. In light of the two-sided nature of the affair, I'd urge you by-standers to show a little genuine introspection yourselves. Quite apart from the trolling of my performance, integrity, son and in light of breached PM etiquette, and only now current ability to vindicate, you lot do seem rather caught up on my poor language. One might even say biased :hmm:

So while I'll try not to let myself down, how about you guys try and do the same? Fair enough?

Axiom
06-04-2007, 01:17 AM
No, not true, Jean. I don't plan on going on with it (although I was pursued all last year and what an easy target a president makes for a troll). I do have a fair point to make in terms of vindication that is now only becoming possible.

I'd appreciate it
Howard

PS I've said it before and I'll request it again. The so-called independent commentary was, and now is, very lop-sided. In light of the two-sided nature of the affair, I'd urge you by-standers to show a little genuine introspection yourselves. Quite apart from the trolling of my performance, integrity, son and in light of breached PM etiquette, and only now current ability to vindicate, you lot do seem rather caught up on my poor language. One might even say biased :hmm:

So while I'll try not to let myself down, how about you guys try and do the same? Fair enough? i suport you hd, if these weasals want to live by the sword then they can ...etc

Basil
06-04-2007, 01:25 AM
i suport you hd, if these weasals want to live by the sword then they can ...etc
Thank you mate. Exactly. But it's more than that. My reputation and my family and business affairs were considerably damaged and manipulated by the actions of these two clowns. I feel more than entitled to set the record straight - and even then, those that know the issues are aware I can't do that fully here.

The people that have commented so far: James, Malcolm and Jean are quality. I've seen enough over the last 12 months to know that. However, they are also 'old skool' on the BB and formed solid friendships with Dion's online persona.

I believe they are genuinely struggling to separate that memory from the evidence that mounts by the day that is best summed up by my sig; ergo their entirely one-sided commentary on what amounts to my insult versus such issues as genuine vindication, relevance and proportionate response.

Axiom
06-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Thank you mate. Exactly. But it's more than that. My reputation and my family was considerably damaged and manipulated by the actions of these two clowns. I feel more than entitled to set the record straight - and even then, those that know the issues are aware I can't do that fully here.

The people that have commented so far: James, Malcolm and Jean are quality. I've seen enough over the last 12 months to know that. However, they are also 'old skool' on the BB and formed solid friendship with Dion's online persona.

I believe they are genuinely struggling to separate that memory from the evidence that mounts by the day that is best summed up by my sig; ergo their entirely one-sided commentary on what amounts to my insult versus such issues as genuine vindication, relevance and proportionate response.im with you all the way on this one.:clap: :clap: :clap:

JGB
06-04-2007, 09:45 AM
I think you'll find you're a little out of your depth on this one (from an information and background POV).

Morning Howard. Depth has nothing to do with it. It was the insulting that caught my attention. End.

The people that have commented so far: James, Malcolm and Jean are quality. I've seen enough over the last 12 months to know that. However, they are also 'old skool' on the BB and formed solid friendships with Dion's online persona.

Friendships with online BB persona's? ... You really don't know me if you believe this. Howard, you are as much of a friend as I have here. Not that I beleive it is your intention, I will not be drawn into any flamewar on this BB.
Regardless of the assumptions you have made I wll read your pm now.

I hope you and everyone onboard enjoys this Easter!
Take care.
James

Basil
06-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks James

Morning Howard. Depth has nothing to do with it. It was the insulting that caught my attention. End.
Fair enough. I stand corrected. However, I did manage to provide some new information of which you were evidently unaware.

Friendships with online BB persona's? ... You really don't know me if you believe this. Howard, you are as much of a friend as I have here.
Fair enough. I stand corrected. And thanks.

I hope you and everyone onboard enjoys this Easter!
Take care.
James
Ditto

Watto
06-04-2007, 05:46 PM

I'd appreciate it
Howard

So while I'll try not to let myself down, how about you guys try and do the same? Fair enough?
Hi Howard,

Okay, this is how I see it. If you want to make a fair point, then make it fair. Give the argument some dignity and a chance to be taken seriously.

I'm saying this because, to my mind, your propensity for recklessly insulting comments in the past (and revived just recently), was enough to raise significant doubts in my mind at the time about just how blameless you were during the whole CAQ feud. AO’s online behaviour raised similar doubts. Which is why at the time I think I suggested a simple fight to the death ;) As far as Belthasar goes, I quite liked his online persona and I thought he brought quite a bit to cc but you’re mistaken if you think there was a ‘solid friendship’ which makes me biased. There are people here I feel some natural sympathy with but I’m not that much into playing favourites.

I hope you and your family have a nice Easter. I'm off now for a week or two.
Jean

Basil
09-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Will answer this one-sided commentary (but fair as far as it goes) elsewhere.

None of this of course addresses the hypocrisy (which can only be proven now and ergo the timing of the post) of Troll #2's newsletter position which was gently fanned for a year - and incidentally the topic of this thread!

The fanning included:
-- misleading statements
-- trolling statements
-- untrue statements
-- perpetuating questions when asked and answered

Jean, are you certain all this is unworthy of (my) note and clouded (for you) solely because of insults (which were common to both sides anyway :eek:) I really don't think your position is balanced at all.

Sunshine
09-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Howard,

I might have mentioned this before.

If you have a profile in life I think it is dangerous to put yourself out for scrutiny in public places. There are just too many nutters in this world with nothing to lose.

You are not the only person with a good standing in the community that has been smeared by a battle with people not deserving of their time.

I don't understand why you put yourself out for that.

Basil
09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Sunshine, you have mentioned it before. And of course, you were correct. Thanks.

Unfortunately, as Magnus Magnusson would say, I've started, so I'll finish! In fact it is imperative that I do finish for the very reason you cite.

In the previous post, I referred to publishing a fulsome response elsewhere, which I fully intend to do in the near future. At that time I will properly acknowledge my own shabby behaviour (to the extent that it occurred, lest urban myths grow wild with enthusiasm!), and with the issue of my shabbiness laid to rest, examine quite clinically the incubation, perpetration and finally the collapse of a 9 month campaign of self-serving innuendo and hyperbole and fabrication.

At that time, I will leave the broader subject (of the imagined CAQ debacle) alone, and be a wiser man for it!

Thanks again for your (as always) considered input.

Sunshine
11-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I enjoyed the reference to Magnus - I was a big fan of Mastermind. It also reminded my of Murray Walker's "Unless I'm very much mistaken" and of Whispering Ted Lowe (did he have a signature saying ?").

But back to the matter at hand and to quote another great commentator -

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." No, "if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

I think you have better things to do with your time.

Basil
11-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I think you have better things to do with your time.
I certainly do, Sunshine! ;)

However there's also much to be said for WALK | MILE | SHOES | SELF RESPECT

Let's hope I can find the balance.

Desmond
03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
From the minutes (http://www.caq.org.au/htm/minutes%2020070823.rtf) of the latest CAQ meeting:

6.6 Hardcopy Newsletter
It was decided to discontinue the hardcopy newsletter at the end of 2007, and to focus on producing a regular email newsletter in its stead. Every effort will be made to electronically send the email newsletter to as many members as possible. Any members who do not have email access will be able to receive a printed copy of the newsletter.

The interested reader might notice that there were no noted abstentions or votes against this undertaking, and also notice who was at the meeting.

Davidflude
03-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I am currently sending out two new letters using email. One is for Chess Victoria the other is for the Box Hill Chess Club. I do not do the editorial content. I maintain the mailing list and send out the bulletins. In fact I am only doing both while the person who does the Chess Victoria bulletin is overseas.

I use a program called Sendblaster because it was the only cheap program that I could find with reasonable features.

I believe that it is no longer necessary to send out hard copy bulletins. Clubs can make copies of bulletins and put them on the notice board.

Furthermore I gets lots of feedback. Just a simple message "The xzz tournament starts next ........." increases entries. Provided that you explain how to "Subscribe" or "Unsubscribe" with an automated emailing system on appropriate web pages it is not too much of a hassle.

I must confess my bias. I like tournament entry details and to a lesser extent results. Most clubs have wevpages where results and reports can be posted.