PDA

View Full Version : Silly conditional moves in CC

Kevin Bonham
15-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Does anyone playing CC ever do any of the following:

* Offer unsound moves and replies to them as conditionals, perhaps to try to dupe the opponent into missing a non-obvious good move and instead playing a move that isn't the best?

* Resign in a cute fashion by offering "if (insert move here), I resign"?

* Resign in an even cuter fashion by offering "if (insert complete blunder here), I resign" thus forcing the opponent to choose between finishing the game immediately by playing a ridiculous move, or else playing on with something sounder?

Are these sorts of things considered (i) poor etiquette (ii) actionable, in CC tournaments? Not having played CC at formalised tournament level, I was wondering.

MichaelBaron
15-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Does anyone playing CC ever do any of the following:

* Offer unsound moves and replies to them as conditionals, perhaps to try to dupe the opponent into missing a non-obvious good move and instead playing a move that isn't the best?

* Resign in a cute fashion by offering "if (insert move here), I resign"?

* Resign in an even cuter fashion by offering "if (insert complete blunder here), I resign" thus forcing the opponent to choose between finishing the game immediately by playing a ridiculous move, or else playing on with something sounder?

Are these sorts of things considered (i) poor etiquette (ii) actionable, in CC tournaments? Not having played CC at formalised tournament level, I was wondering.

As far as I know conditional moves were were common at the times of snail mail. The very purpose of the conditional moves being to speed up the games rather than to ridicule the opponent. They used to occur at all levels (including CC world championship). Of course, if somebody invites you to play a ridiculous move before he resigns - I agree - it is indeed very poor ettiquette

Igor_Goldenberg
16-11-2006, 02:20 PM
I only play CC on webserver where I don't see them - which makes it irrelevant.
In snail mail I heard about few dubious cases. Once a player received a card with a move and "conditional reply" - "if you play move A, I'll probably reply with B". He was furious because both move A and reply B were inferior, but the word "probably" deprived him of a chance to exploit the weak move B. I think he ended up complaining to the arbiter.

Desmond
16-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Would something like the following be unacceptable:

1.e4

if 1. ... e6

then mate in 43 moves

mwahahahahahahaha

Kevin Bonham
16-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Would something like the following be unacceptable:

1.e4

if 1. ... e6

then mate in 43 moves

mwahahahahahahaha

It is only unacceptable if you fail to mention that the mate is delivered by Black. :owned:

Ian Rout
16-11-2006, 02:51 PM
As far as I know conditional moves were were common at the times of snail mail. The very purpose of the conditional moves being to speed up the games
This is correct - even if a move was obvious, or the game was still in theory, so that you were given nothing away by revealing your intentions, then in a postal game you could save a round trip of the scoresheet by offering conditionals.

In an e-mail correspondence game there is no such incentive so it is unwise to offer any conditionals at all, even for forced moves, as it saves little time but creates the risk of a clerical error. Conditional moves carry the same force as ordinary moves, they cannot be retracted.

Desmond
16-11-2006, 02:59 PM
It is only unacceptable if you fail to mention that the mate is delivered by Black. :owned::lol: I expected that one.

What about:

if 1. ... e6 - can I have a takeback?

Basil
16-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Ho ho ho's all 'round in this thread :)

ElevatorEscapee
16-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Ho ho ho's all 'round in this thread :)

Nice to see you getting in to the Christmas spirit... ;)

Kevin Bonham
21-11-2006, 02:53 PM
In an e-mail correspondence game there is no such incentive so it is unwise to offer any conditionals at all, even for forced moves, as it saves little time but creates the risk of a clerical error. Conditional moves carry the same force as ordinary moves, they cannot be retracted.

I would struggle with this aspect of formalised CC; I am way too prone to brainfade-induced clerical errors.