31-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Brian, we are anxiously waiting for your reply to Peter Parr's

http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=3707&page=9

a clash of the gladiators

FO FW

antichrist
31-10-2006, 03:32 PM
FO FW

You have been taking lessons from my mate Greg - only he is allowed to say that to me - it's an S & M thing between us.

As AR would broadcast - the audience demands an answer!!

Even Sheik El Hilaly managed a second round with White House uppercut - come out fighting!

Brian_Jones
31-10-2006, 03:51 PM
You have been taking lessons from my mate Greg

Greg is a good teacher. I picked this phrase up from him many years ago!:)

But in your case, you trully earned the response.

HACD

antichrist
01-11-2006, 02:21 PM
No idea what HACD stands for, spell out, don't be shy

Brian_Jones
01-11-2006, 02:27 PM
No idea what HACD stands for, spell out, don't be shy

Have a crap day!

MichaelBaron
01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
LOL i was under the impression it stands for "have a cool day":D

antichrist
03-11-2006, 11:03 AM
The first game that I have went through since Ian's disaster against Mr Lane a few year's back was in Peter Parr's column 11 days ago in the pink copy, game between N Vitugov and Z Andriasian both grandmasters. Early in the game I thought whites game was move wasting etc and sure enough he quickly fell behind. Was this game worth reporting on?

Of course being only an amateur maybe I missed the hidden pearls.

antichrist
07-01-2007, 07:54 PM
I think that Euve(?) is underrated as a chess teacher. At my level I find his ideas very helpful, esp in openings

Denis_Jessop
08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
I think that Euve(?) is underrated as a chess teacher. At my level I find his ideas very helpful, esp in openings

AC: If Max Euwe is underrated as a chess teacher it must have happened only fairly recently. When I was learning chess (admittedly well back into the last century) his books were very highly regarded and his two-volume work with Kramer on the middle game is, as far as I know, still a classic. I also like his "Judgement and Planning in Chess" while one of the first chess books I read was his "Meet the Masters", covering the 1938 AVRO tournament players, which I found in the school library. I was very glad to find a copy of the same edition in a secondhand bookshop in Sydney a few years ago. Euwe was highly regarded as a chess writer by Cecil Purdy, himself one of the best. It's not surprising that Euwe was a good chess teacher as he was a mathematics teacher by profession. One of his strengths is the clarity of his writing.

I rather suspect that it is his strength as a chess player that is underrated, not his excellence as a teacher. There is a tendency to downplay his World Championship win over Alekhine on the ground that Alekhine was an alcoholic at the time but that is hardly fair. He had played Alekhine in a match 10 years earlier losing 3-2 ( with 5 draws) and all along he was a pure amateur player.

DJ

antichrist
08-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks Dennis, I will chase those other books you mentioned and hope they are in new narration, though I know both. I was only guessing re his underrating because I don't hear much about him. Fancy only a amateur and he achieved that. Some of his ideas about openings I have not seen in other writers.

Rincewind
08-01-2007, 06:45 PM
He was also a chess administrator of the highest order and was FIDE president from 1970-1978.

He also has a square named after him in Amsterdam (Max Euwe Plein), from memory is not far from the Anne Frank House museum (which is a must see if ever you get to Amsterdam).

ER
08-01-2007, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=Rincewind]He was also a chess administrator of the highest order and was FIDE president from 1970-1978.

He was present at the Fischer vs Spasky (1972 encounter) and has also visited Australia!
Cheers and good luck!

Denis_Jessop
08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=Rincewind]He was also a chess administrator of the highest order and was FIDE president from 1970-1978.

He was present at the Fischer vs Spasky (1972 encounter) and has also visited Australia!
Cheers and good luck!

Indeed he has visited Australia - in the 1970s while he was FIDE President. At the time I was President of the ACT Chess Association and was privileged to have lunch here with him and Garry Koshnitsky, then ACF President. Both were real gentlemen. While in Canberra, Euwe gave a lecture at the ANU on computer chess, then in the very early stages of development. The EU had him and a team working on possible development of a computer chess program because they thought it might enable them to develop a language translation program. This was at the same time as Botvinnik was trying to develop a computer program in the USSR. In the end, neither was successful.

As well as Euwe's own books, there is a recent (2001) biography of him by Alexander Munninghoff, published by New in Chess. It includes 50 games with analysis by Euwe. I have it but like many recent purches it is yet unread:evil:

I had a quick look at Australian Chess Enterprises' catalogue (because it has a search facility) and it turned up 3 books. Judgement and Planning (now published by Batsford so I assume it is algebraic), the Development of Chess Style (also Batsford), one of his that I don't know, and a book of the Fischer-Spassky match with Timman which seems mostly to be Timman. I'm pretty sure that his Middle Game book has also been re-published.

DJ