PDA

View Full Version : Thematic Tournaments

Desmond
20-10-2006, 09:04 AM
This was raised in another thread, but don't really want to initiate thread drift there.

Has anyone tried thematic tournaments at their local club, or even better as a weekender?

Davidflude
20-10-2006, 10:40 AM
This was raised in another thread, but don't really want to initiate thread drift there.

Has anyone tried thematic tournaments at their local club, or even better as a weekender?

We used to run a fixed openings tournament at Box Hill years ago. WE dropped it from the calendar due to the fact that some members disliked it.

Garrett
20-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Idea sounds silly to me.

eclectic
20-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Idea sounds silly to me.

The recently completed world championship was a thematic tournament of sorts!! :eek: :rolleyes: :owned:

Desmond
21-10-2006, 09:57 AM
We used to run a fixed openings tournament at Box Hill years ago. WE dropped it from the calendar due to the fact that some members disliked it.Thanks for the feedback David. Did you have the same starting position for all the rounds or a different one each time?

Kevin Bonham
21-10-2006, 04:52 PM
HICC ran a novelty fixed non-openings rapid several years ago. All players were barred from playing 1.e4 or 1.d4, except for one who usually played 1.f4 anyway so he was barred from playing that. :D

antichrist
23-10-2006, 12:12 PM
HICC ran a novelty fixed non-openings rapid several years ago. All players were barred from playing 1.e4 or 1.d4, except for one who usually played 1.f4 anyway so he was barred from playing that. :D

When I reverse my pawn openings (d4 to e4) as my opponent knows my game too well I still get a good result as have well-studied the response to e4 as black, that teaches them a lesson because I am showing them how they should play against me.

I am just perfect.

Except I botched it against Arianne which I blame on her as she started my clock whilst I was looking for my glasses - will never forgive her.

Bereaved
24-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Hello, everyone,

Frankston Chess Club runs a fixed opening tournament each year, and we have also run a fischer-random event about two years ago.

The openings chosen vary, though we do try and choose something that is likely to occur in the club player's regular games, and also try and make the position such that the games have enough similarity that the players may learn something from trying them out.

By the above, I am saying that a tournament has a fixed opening of 1.e4, or 1.e4 c5, the chances of the games being sufficiently akin to each other diminishes, and any benefit of playing new systems may be lost.

I can supply a fairly comprehensive list of the positions chosen should anyone wish for further clarification, and have some of the Fischer Random games recorded ( my own, in truth ) and can supply the score for those also if requested.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

PS on a side note, the very first event I won in chess was a fixed opening at Frankston, many years ago. The opening was the Budapest Gambit!! lol

eclectic
24-10-2006, 11:40 PM
What about a thematic opening coupled with only being able to underpromote?

:eek: