PDA

View Full Version : Neuropsychology of chess

Alan Shore
19-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Does anyone know of any MRI/EEG neuropsychological tests done on chess players? It amazed me how some of these really young players were getting so good, when their frontal lobe and cerebral cortex are still so undeveloped.

Also, some talented chess players are very good mathematicians giving them the skills to calculate and analyse, while top strategists often utilise other techniques to play well - it seems to suggest mutiple areas are being utilised but how do the young ones do it?

eclectic
19-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Does anyone know of any MRI/EEG neuropsychological tests done on chess players? It amazed me how some of these really young players were getting so good, when their frontal lobe and cerebral cortex are still so undeveloped.

Also, some talented chess players are very good mathematicians giving them the skills to calculate and analyse, while top strategists often utilise other techniques to play well - it seems to suggest mutiple areas are being utilised but how do the young ones do it?

Being children they use their imagination and fantasise?

Alan Shore
20-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Being children they use their imagination and fantasise?

Yet in reality at the high level, there must be complex procedural steps involved to achieve that imagined position.

Perhaps there's psychology involved too - kids have no fears, neuroses etc. to hold them back - something that may impinge on the play of adults?

brett
20-10-2006, 12:21 AM

Could it be that more children are learning chess in Australia compared to say 20 years ago?

With bigger numbers of children taking part in chess, more children with high potential are being identified and encouraged to take chess more seriously. Ie more intense training, taking part in elite events etc.

Alan Shore
20-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Could it be that more children are learning chess in Australia compared to say 20 years ago?

With bigger numbers of children taking part in chess, more children with high potential are being identified and encouraged to take chess more seriously. Ie more intense training, taking part in elite events etc.

Oh I'd definitely agree with you the general standard has improved with knowledge of the game and improved coaching techniques but I was specifically referring to those really top-level players at very young age - someone like Ray Song for an Australian example but the ones who are like 2200+ at age 8-10 amaze me in terms of physical capacity. Those very gifted ones would be great to have as participants in neuropsychological testing.

Garrett
20-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Sounds like a good idea for a PhD thesis to me Belty ! Go for it.

qpawn
28-10-2006, 03:05 PM
But I have no imagination. :(

Jesus Christ man, I wouldn't even light up the scan.

I read somewhere that musical composition is meant to use up the most brain areas as shown in scans. Damnit. I am tone deaf.

:( :( :( :(