PDA

View Full Version : Oceania Zonal 2007

Denis_Jessop
10-10-2006, 09:38 PM
The Oceania Zonal Championship 2007 will be held in Fiji. Here is a copy of the information note from the Fiji Chess Federation. In due course the ACF will call for applications for selection as there is one place for a man and a woman to receive accommodation but the selection is only for that purpose.

2007 OCEANIA ZONAL CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Tournament Info

Venue: Sofitel Fiji Resort & SPA
Grand Ballroom
Denarau, Fiji Islands

Date: 7th May - 12th May 2007

Format: Open Tournament - 9 round Swiss
Women’s Tournament - 9 round Swiss or round robin
(depending on the no. of entries)

Time Control: All moves in 90 minutes plus 30 second per move from
start

Tournament Schedule:

7th May (Monday) Opening Ceremony …………… 8.30 am
Round 1 ……………………….. 10.00 am
Round 2 ……………………….. 5.00 pm
8th May (Tuesday) Round 3 ……………………….. 10.00 am
Round 4 ……………………….. 5.00 pm
9th May (Wednesday) Round 5 ………………………. 10.00 am
Round 6 ………………………. 5.00 pm
10th May (Thursday) REST DAY
11th May (Friday) Round 7 ………………………. 10.00 am
Round 8 ………………………. 5.00 pm
12th May (Saturday) Round 9 ………………………. 10.00 am
Playoffs ………………………. 4.00 pm
Closing Ceremony…………….. 6.30 pm

Accomodation: Contact Dr Virgilio de Asa to make a reservation at phones (679) 331-4450 (w)/ (679) 331-2682 (a/h) or fax (679) 330-3655. Email: virgilio_de_asa@hotmail.com. A special room rate of F$199 per room per night (includes full breakfast for two) for Ocean King Room (king bed and fold out sofa bed) or Ocean Queen Room (one queen bed and one double bed) is available on a limited period. A small family or two players can share a room (F$99.50 each with full breakfast). Normal resort rate is F$337 ++ Booking is essential thru Fiji Chess Federation. See: www.sofitelfiji.com.fj or www.accorhotels.com.fj for details on the resort.

Entry Fees:

FIDE Rating Open: Women:

2400+ Free Free
2300+ F$150 Free
2200+ F$200 F$100
2100+ F$225 F$125
2000+ F$250 F$150
1800+ F$275 F$175
Unrated F$300 F$200

NB: Entries will not be considered confirmed until all fees have been paid. Entry fees not paid by 30th April 2007 will incur an additional 20% surcharge.

Payment of Fees
Payment can be made either by bankdraft made out to Fiji Chess Federation and sent to Dr Virgilio de Asa, G.P.O. Box 12408, Suva, Fiji or by direct debit into Colonial National Bank, Dominion House Branch, Suva, Fiji ( A/C No. 3104155).

Prize Fund Open: Women:
1st $1500 $750
2nd $1000 $500
3rd $ 500 $250
4th $ 300
5th $ 200
Best local player: $ 200 $100

NB: All prize fund is in Fiji dollars

Tournament Directors:

Mr. Jashint Maharaj (Fiji) - Chief Arbiter
Mr Gary Bekker (Aust) - Deputy Arbiter

International Titles
International titles will be awarded in both the Open & Women’s sections. These include an International Master (IM), two FIDE Master (FM) titles and Candidate Master (CM) titles in the Open section and Women’s International Master (WIM) and Women’s FIDE Master (WFM) titles.

FIDE Rated/World Championship Qualifier
Both events will be FIDE rated and will serve as the final qualifying cycles for both Open and Women’s Individual World Championships.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Registration Form:

Name: …………………………………………………………………………………

Address: ………………………………………………………………………………..

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

Email: ………………………………………………………………………………….

FIDE Rating: …………………………………………………………………………

Entry Fee: ……………………………………………………………………………..

FCF Registration Fee (FCF Players Only): ………………………………………..

Donation to Assists Costs: …………………………………………………………..

SOFITEL Fiji Resort & Spa

Fiji Islands newest five-star resort was opened for business on 1st July 2006. Located in Denarau Island, about 15 minutes drive from Nadi Airport, Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa is already achieving huge recognition and popularity around the globe. It’s defining success factor is the architecture and interior design of the rooms. It also features the Stage One Spa which is luxuriously fitted out and offers tranquil garden surroundings and a new breathtaking pool complex and has truly set the resort apart from any other hotel on Denarau Island. The resort provides Internet Services in the Business Centre located next to Reception on the lobby level. Wireless hot spots are also located throughout the main public areas including the restaurants and bars. Wired access is also available in the rooms. It also offers guests the services of a Kids Club, known as the Turtle Club, which caters for children 2-12 years old.

DR. VIRGILIO DE ASA
President, FCF
Chairman, Organizing Committee

I would hope that there will be a strong turn-out of Australian players as we are the top country in the Zone.

DJ

Garvinator
10-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Hello Denis,

I freely acknowledge with my following question that you are not on the organising committee, but still I think it should be asked.

The FIDE Presidential Board accepted the proposal of ACP for a single time control for all major FIDE events: 90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one.

The list of FIDE events where this single time control will be used:
Chess Olympiads
World Team Championships
Continental Team Championships
World Cup
Continental Championships
Zonal Tournaments
World Youth & Junior Championships
Continental Youth & Junior Championships
World School Championships
Continental Club Championships

Regarding the proposal of the ACP for the single time control, Mr. Makropoulos said that Candidates Matches and World Championship Tournament are not included in the above list, as in these tournaments a 7 hours time control is used.
Since this is a zonal tournament, shouldnt the recently approved time control of: 90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one be used ???

Denis_Jessop
10-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Hello Denis,

I freely acknowledge with my following question that you are not on the organising committee, but still I think it should be asked.

Since this is a zonal tournament, shouldnt the recently approved time control of: 90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one be used ???

Hi Garvin

I've looked again at the FIDE minutes and it would seem that the FIDE decision comes into effect straight away. So it would also seem that the new time limit should apply to this Zonal Tournament. I'll raise the matter with Gary Bekker who is the Oceania Zonal President and so finally responsible for the running of the event.

DJ

PS As of 10.30pm I have sent an e-mail to Gary asking about it.

Garvinator
10-10-2006, 10:48 PM
PS As of 10.30pm I have sent an e-mail to Gary asking about it.Gary might reply by the start of November ;) :uhoh:

Denis_Jessop
15-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Gary might reply by the start of November ;) :uhoh:

Don't be so cynical, Garvin ;) but I covered the bases by writing also to the Fiji Association President. I've just had a reply from him confirming that they will change the time limits to conform with FIDE's decision. There is probably a need to reschedule the rounds and that is being looked into.

Thanks for raising this as it could have been embarrassing if it hadn't been picked up quickly.

DJ

Garvinator
15-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Don't be so cynical, Garvin ;) me cynical, never :whistle:

but I covered the bases by writing also to the Fiji Association President. You still didnt say that you got a reply back from Gary ;)

I've just had a reply from him confirming that they will change the time limits to conform with FIDE's decision. There is probably a need to reschedule the rounds and that is being looked into.

Thanks for raising this as it could have been embarrassing if it hadn't been picked up quickly.with pick ups like this, I should nominate for an acf position, maybe deputy president :P :uhoh:

Denis_Jessop
15-10-2006, 09:27 PM
<snip>
You still didnt say that you got a reply back from Gary ;)

<snip>

I always seek to tell the truth or to imply it. ;) :doh:

DJ

Garvinator
01-11-2006, 10:24 AM
With the continual and increasing political instability in Fiji and travel warnings out from the Australian Government, shouldnt there be concerns raised over holding the Oceania Zonal in Fiji in May next year?

I suspect that the tournament might have to be moved to another location, if this is the case, better off starting now.

MichaelBaron
01-11-2006, 10:30 AM
With the continual and increasing political instability in Fiji and travel warnings out from the Australian Government, shouldnt there be concerns raised over holding the Oceania Zonal in Fiji in May next year?

I suspect that the tournament might have to be moved to another location, if this is the case, better off starting now.

When will the zonal come to Melbourne?:hmm:

Garvinator
01-11-2006, 10:33 AM
When will the zonal come to Melbourne?:hmm:
2009 maybe ;) if someone is going to organise it :P

bergil
01-11-2006, 04:42 PM
When will the zonal come to Melbourne?:hmm:Why do you care? Surely you don't want a soft title :owned:

MichaelBaron
01-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Why do you care? Surely you don't want a soft title :owned:

LoL. ;) I would not get it anyway. So far this year, i have not played a single game against a player rated above 2200 i think i forgot how to move the pieces:hmm:

Garvinator
01-11-2006, 06:23 PM
LoL. ;) I would not get it anyway. So far this year, i have not played a single game against a player rated above 2200 i think i forgot how to move the pieces:hmm:
of course if you did qualify for the im title from a zonal, you would accept it ;) :whistle:

Denis_Jessop
01-11-2006, 09:23 PM

I think the Fijians are timing this fairly well. If they have their coup or sack the Armed Forces Chief now everything should have settled down by next May. They probably don't have enough bullets to last until May anyway. :hmm: :rolleyes:

DJ

Garvinator
01-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I think the Fijians are timing this fairly well. If they have their coup or sack the Armed Forces Chief now everything should have settled down by next May. They probably don't have enough bullets to last until May anyway. :hmm: :rolleyes:

DJ
While this post did get a chuckle, I was actually being serious in raising this concern.

MichaelBaron
01-11-2006, 09:46 PM

DJ

LOL :clap: :hmm:

Igor_Goldenberg
01-12-2006, 09:16 AM
What is the rate for Fijian dollar?

bergil
01-12-2006, 09:21 AM
What is the rate for Fijian dollar?
1.00 AUD Australia Dollars = 1.31808 FJD Fiji Dollars

Basil
01-12-2006, 09:36 AM
1.00 AUD Australia Dollars = 1.31808 FJD Fiji Dollars = 1.064 HCDs

Andrei K
01-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Had my doubts, but with all the action going on east of the pond, just have to sign up. Cant let the SAS commandos have all the fun... :D

Fiji intervention considered: Vaile
December 01, 2006

ACTING Prime Minister Mark Vaile said Australia would if requested consider intervention in Fiji, where the military is threatening to overthrow the government.

Fiji's defence force chief, Commodore Frank Bainimarama, has threatened to stage a coup if the government does not meet a series of demands by noon (11am AEDT) today.

Mr Vaile said Australian forces were on standby to help evacuate any Australians in the event of a coup.

Asked if Australia would consider intervention if requested by Fiji, he told Sky TV:"It's a very difficult issue and one that we would have to consider very seriously ... our first concern is that of Australian nationals in Fiji."

Australian warships are sailing near Fiji ready to act in the event of a coup but the Fiji military has warned against foreign intervention.

Ian Rout
06-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Now that it's happened, what's the plan?

pax
06-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Now that it's happened, what's the plan?

I imagine it is appropriate for the Oceania Zone to withdraw the Zonal rights from Fiji. Whether an alternative can be organised in time, I don't know.

Brian_Jones
06-12-2006, 08:54 AM
I imagine it is appropriate for the Oceania Zone to withdraw the Zonal rights from Fiji.

Why? Six months is a long time. :)

There was a coup before the last Zonal. It all settled down in time.
We even went to Government House in Suva to see the guard outside where the coup took place.

But the 2007 Zonal is in Nadi (2 hours away) so all the organisers need is a standby plan in case the airport and resort are closed.

MichaelBaron
06-12-2006, 10:42 AM
So why not move the Zonal to a safer place :hmm: ?

There is still plenty of time to find an alternative venue.

Denis_Jessop
06-12-2006, 11:34 AM
So why not move the Zonal to a safer place :hmm: ?

There is still plenty of time to find an alternative venue.

If we are to believe today's politicians :doh: there probably is no safer place. After all the military are in charge - what more can you ask? :hmm:

DJ

PS I also think that it's likely that the situation will be quieter in 6 months' time. I don't think that there is any significant armed opposition to the military and Melanesians tend to sort these things out without a lot of trouble. It might be another matter if surrounding countries start to but in and stir things up.

gbekker
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Dear Players,

I have no plans to reschedule or relocate the 2007 Oceania Zonal Chess Championships. The Fiji Chess Federation have done a sterling job, under the leadership of Dr Virgilio De Asa, in arranging an excellent venue and good playing conditions for the event.

The tournament is five months away, so the political tension should have eased by then. It is also located on the opposite "tourism" end of the island near Nadi, geographically removed from the capital of Suva. I am confident the tournament will proceed as scheduled.

I would recommend that players should take full advantage of the cheaper airfares and accommodation packages currently being offered, in the wake of the coup, to get the best travel deals possible.

I look forward to an enjoyable Oceania Zonal Championship event and encourage players to attend. Bids to stage the 2009 Zonal are welcome.

Warm regards,

Gary Bekker
FIDE Oceania Zone President
gbekker@mira.net
http://www.auschess.org.au/oceania/

Ian Rout
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
It would probably be premature to cancel it but it might be worth thinking about a Plan B in the light of how things develop. The governments of Australia and New Zealand may impose sanctions (Helen Clark and Alexander Downer have both said they will) which could lead either to difficulties in getting to Fiji (or getting out of it) or to it being dangerous for citizens of those countries to be there. Depending what Mr Bananarama's agenda is there could also be circumstances which cause players to have ethical problems about visiting (like cricket in Zimbabwe).

pax
06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
I don't actually expect any danger in connection with a chess tournament in Fiji.

Sanctions are a more significant issue. And more fundamentally about whether you support a military takeover of a democratically elected goverment by holding a (relatively) prestigious event there such a short time after.

Basil
06-12-2006, 04:36 PM
I don't actually expect any danger in connection with a chess tournament in Fiji.

Sanctions are a more significant issue. And more fundamentally about whether you support a military takeover of a democratically elected goverment by holding a (relatively) prestigious event there such a short time after.

Indeed. And on the flipside, in cognition of a boycott, the issue of whom is being hurt arises. Already tourism has taken a thumping. Send a message or separate politics and sport?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Hmmm that sounds familar.

BTW - I don't have an answer.

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2006, 04:59 PM
It would probably be premature to cancel it but it might be worth thinking about a Plan B in the light of how things develop.

I agree with this.

Netball world championship scheduled for Fiji in July has just been cancelled (http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Australia-may-bid-for-netball-worlds/2006/12/09/1165081193724.html).

Chess, being a lower-profile activity, could presumably withstand a late decision ro relocate, if needed, more easily. However I hope there will be a fallback option ready if needed.

Tony_Chow
12-12-2006, 08:29 PM
In the scenario that the military coup remains in force at the time of the Tournament, intending players (and officials) might want to check on the matter of insurance.

I could be wrong but most travel insurance policies would not cover an incident during a military coup, when prior travel alert warnings have issued.

In addition, policy exclusions on life insurance cover might also apply.

Alan Shore
12-12-2006, 08:43 PM
In the scenario that the military coup remains in force at the time of the Tournament, intending players (and officials) might want to check on the matter of insurance.

I could be wrong but most travel insurance policies would not cover an incident during a military coup, when prior travel alert warnings have issued.

In addition, policy exclusions on life insurance cover might also apply.

Insurance companies will find any excuse to not pay up (or pay less), so be wary.

(Can you believe I got charged an AGE excess when my car was stolen? Like that's relevant...).

ElevatorEscapee
12-12-2006, 08:51 PM
How old was your car? :)

Alan Shore
12-12-2006, 08:55 PM
How old was your car? :)

It was old old that one.. 1983!! I couldn't believe anyone actually knicked it.. an old Ford Laser. I got back possibly more than it was worth but still resented the 'age excess' on a theft.

(btw EE, played Discworld yet? Please say yes, would feel guilty otherwise..!)

Garvinator
12-12-2006, 09:53 PM
The current travel advisory for Fiji is reconsider your need to travel.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Fiji

From watching alot of the media reports from the coup leader, this status wont be changing for quite a while. If it does change, I would imagine it would only change to dont travel.

Surely the time has come for the Oceania Zonal to be moved from Fiji. I would imagine that players from the other Oceania countries might have difficulties getting visas under the current travel advisory. If things escalate further, which is likely to happen, then travel to Fiji might not be possible.

ElevatorEscapee
12-12-2006, 09:55 PM
lol, I currently drive a 1983 sedan version of the Laser, a Meteor (know anyone who wants to by it? Only 375,000km on the clock!) :lol:

I have played D/W a bit but preferred Discworld Noir, much more atmospheric.

Sadly however, this has nothing to do with Fiji... so let's try to get the topic back on track.

Will the recent acquittal verdict of the 1987 coup leader General Sitiveni Rabuka, charged for inspiring mutiny in 2000 against military leader (and current coup leader), Commodore Frank Bainimarama serve to erode the Commodore's hold over the military?

Will Bainimarama eventually find himself charged with treason? (The fate of George Speight, the now imprisoned coup leader from 2000).

In any case I hope that tensions have blown over by the time the zonal comes around. :)

eclectic
12-12-2006, 10:08 PM
lol, I currently drive a 1983 sedan version of the Laser, a Meteor (know anyone who wants to by it? Only 375,000km on the clock!) :lol:

I have played D/W a bit but preferred Discworld Noir, much more atmospheric.

Sadly however, this has nothing to do with Fiji... so let's try to get the topic back on track.

Will the recent acquittal verdict of the 1987 coup leader General Sitiveni Rabuka, charged for inspiring mutiny in 2000 against military leader (and current coup leader), Commodore Frank Bainimarama serve to erode the Commodore's hold over the military?

Will Bainimarama eventually find himself charged with treason? (The fate of George Speight, the now imprisoned coup leader from 2000).

In any case I hope that tensions have blown over by the time the zonal comes around. :)

Let's not suggest that the "warring" sides resolve the situation via a team chess match over so many boards ... :whistle: :hmm: :rolleyes:

Denis_Jessop
13-12-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree with this.

Netball world championship scheduled for Fiji in July has just been cancelled (http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Australia-may-bid-for-netball-worlds/2006/12/09/1165081193724.html).

Chess, being a lower-profile activity, could presumably withstand a late decision ro relocate, if needed, more easily. However I hope there will be a fallback option ready if needed.

I would assume that the reason for the netball decision was that the competition was to be held in Suva, though the Netball Association's press statement on the matter is inexcusably terse.

The Oceania Zonal is to be held in Nadi which apparently is, and was, coup free.

The organiser Dr Virgilio de Asa has sent these messages:

This latest military coup seems to be ok - no single bullet fired, no riot, no civil disobedience, and everybody just want to carry on with their normal lives. My only concern for the 2007 Oceania was the sporting ban of PM Helen Clark. I am not sure whether NZ players will be allowed to travel to Fiji during that time. So with Australia, I hope they don't impose a similar ban on Australians travelling to Fiji. We'll just have to wait and see. It's still go on our side at the present time.

and

Thanks for your concern and offer of financial assistance towards the 2007 Oceania. Perhaps at this point in time I can safely say that the 2007 Oceania being a FIDE recognised event (I hope too that Gary can ask FIDE's stamp of approval so that it will be sanctioned as part of an international event - more specifically as a qualifying cycle for the Individual World Championship) will not be subject to any sporting ban. We can take a parallel view with the Wellington Sevens where PM Helen Clark says the Fiji Sevens Team will not be banned in coming and participating in the Wellington Sevens being an IRB sanctioned international event. This was also the case in the May 2000 coup in Fiji where a sporting ban was imposed by PM Helen Clark but the Fiji Sevens Team was allowed to play in the Wellington Sevens (Fiji winning the event!). As far as safety is concerned - Nadi is the "Tourism" capital virtually immune from previous coup (even with the nasty event of 2000 in Suva). Never mind the legality of the military takeover, people just wanted to go ahead with their lives and everybody wants to move the country forward. We've learnt our lesson from the past. And we seek your support for our sport.

on 8 and 12 December respectively, the second one being to the NZCF which has promised $1000 unless their team is stopped from going by the NZ Government which they hope will not happen.

I rather suspect that the netball decision is panicky and premature.

DJ

eclectic
13-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Now given that the Australian Government does not recognise chess as a sport were they to apply a sporting ban similar to New Zealand's then Australian chess players should quite rightly defy it (personal safety notwithstanding) and indeed publicise that defiance to highlight the woeful lack of support chess receives in this country.

Ian Murray
13-12-2006, 07:26 PM
It would be churlish to even consider taking the Zonal away from the Fiji Chess Federation because of the country's political situation, reprehensible as an illegal (albeit bloodless) coup may be. International sanctions are to be expected (preferably selective, to minimise hardship to the general population).

However it is clear that there is no conceivable safety risk to tourists and travellers. In fact it's a good time to visit - travel and accommodation deals would be very easy to find.

Kevin Bonham
13-12-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm amused by the concept of a country that has a coup in one part of itself and not another. Makes me wish I'd stayed in South Pacific politics instead of switching to 19thC political thought when it was added to the roster two weeks into the term.

four four two
13-12-2006, 11:20 PM
It would be churlish to even consider taking the Zonal away from the Fiji Chess Federation because of the country's political situation, reprehensible as an illegal (albeit bloodless) coup may be. International sanctions are to be expected (preferably selective, to minimise hardship to the general population).

However it is clear that there is no conceivable safety risk to tourists and travellers. In fact it's a good time to visit - travel and accommodation deals would be very easy to find.

While I think its fair to say that there isnt a high probability of violence towards tourists,to say there is NO CONCEIVABLE risk would be misleading. The long term outcome of this coup is still unclear and race riots/violent street demonstrations in Suva isnt inconceivable. Remember,most tourists will still fly into Fiji via the capital.

Im not implying that Fiji will have the level of violence that we have seen in the Solomon's,but to say that it will be "business as usual" over the next few months is in my opinion a bit misleading. Countries that have multiple coups over a period of a number of years generally become less stable and more unpredictable.

The oceania chess federation should at least have a contingency plan for an alternative host country if events turn nasty over the next few months,to not even consider the possibility that Fiji will become an inappropiate venue would be disrespectful to the players who are planning to participate.

Ian Murray
14-12-2006, 12:19 AM
While I think its fair to say that there isnt a high probability of violence towards tourists,to say there is NO CONCEIVABLE risk would be misleading. The long term outcome of this coup is still unclear and race riots/violent street demonstrations in Suva isnt inconceivable. Remember,most tourists will still fly into Fiji via the capital.

Geographical note: The international airport is at Nadi (the Zonal host city), not Suva

Im not implying that Fiji will have the level of violence that we have seen in the Solomon's,but to say that it will be "business as usual" over the next few months is in my opinion a bit misleading. Countries that have multiple coups over a period of a number of years generally become less stable and more unpredictable.

The oceania chess federation should at least have a contingency plan for an alternative host country if events turn nasty over the next few months,to not even consider the possibility that Fiji will become an inappropiate venue would be disrespectful to the players who are planning to participate.

The remote possibility of civil unrest in Suva would pose as much risk as would further race riots in Sydney pose to the Australian Open in Canberra. To avoid the country for that reason is simply xenophobic.

four four two
14-12-2006, 02:46 AM
There is a possibility of civil unrest in the whole country...you have to keep in mind this coup is actually unpopular with many fijian islanders,not just people of indian background. I know a number of people of indian background from Fiji,and they dont take stuff like this lightly. They have had first hand experience of violence when there is a break down in law and order. Nadi and Suva are on the same island,they are about 2 hours apart...which doesnt quite make them a world away from each other.

I never said people shouldnt visit Fiji,nor that the players would be in iminent danger,but you cant discount how small Viti Levu is and how prominent the military is in relation to the size of the overall population. Hopefully the current political crisis,and it is a political crisis,will be resolved peacefully. But if it doesnt and things get violent,are you suggesting that they shouldnt even consider an alternantive venue?:hmm:

Ian Murray
15-12-2006, 09:03 AM
No argument in theory with the concept that an alternative standby venue is a good idea.

However in practice it's not that simple. Suitable venues for international events are pretty well restricted to hotels towards the upper end of the market. If a standby booking was to be made elsewhere (let's say Sydney, but it doesn't matter where) then commercial considerations apply. The hotel would want some sort of contra deal or a cash deposit (payable in instalments at set intervals beforehand). If Fiji does go ahead, then the hotel calls in the deal and/or deposits are forfeited. Someone has to foot the bill.

The only practical option, in my view, is that if worst comes to worst then the Zonal is cancelled. However I really can't see it coming to that.

Garvinator
10-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Fiji travel warning relaxed

5:20 PM January 10

The Foreign Affairs Department has relaxed its travel advisory on Fiji.

Since the military coup in the country late last year, the Department has been warning Australians to reconsider the need to travel to Fiji.

It now says travellers should exercise a high degree of caution although it still warns against travel to the capital, Suva.

The department says the security situation in Fiji remains highly uncertain.

Source: ABC

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I have issued a call for applications for selection:

SELECTIONS: CALL FOR APPLICATIONS - FIDE ZONAL

The Oceania Zonal Chess Championships are scheduled to be held from May 5th to12th at the Sofitel Fiji Resort and Spa, Grand Ballroom, Denarau, Fiji. There will be an Open Tournament of nine rounds and a Womens Tournament of nine rounds, or round robin, depending on the number of entries. Event details have been posted at http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=5079 . For enquiries regarding the event contact Dr Virgilio de Asa virgilio_de_asa@hotmail.com .

Applications to represent Australia at this Zonal are now open. One male and one female player, selected by the ACF as its official representatives,
will be provided with free entry into the Oceanic Zonal Chess Championship, and will receive accommodation for the event from the Fiji Chess
Federation. Airfares and other costs are to be borne by the selected representatives.

Those wishing to be considered for selection as official representatives must apply, by email, as per the ACF Selection Procedures
By-Laws, by Friday 2nd February 2007. Please read item 5 of the ACF Selection Procedures By-Laws thoroughly before applying and ensure that all applicable
details required in item 5.4 are supplied (5.4.13 does not apply). Additionally candidates may submit tournament results and/or a candidates statement if desired - see items 5.6 and 5.7. The Selection By-Laws are available at http://www.auschess.org.au/constitution/Selection_Procedures_By-law.txt .

Applications by email to k_bonham@tassie.net.au by February 2 2007. If an application is not acknowledged within 7 days, please call 6224 8487 or 0421 428 775.

February 2: Applications close
February 9: Corrections to applications close
February 23: Selections finished, applicants advised of results by email
Selections will be publicly announced in the ACF Newsletter as soon as possible after selections finish.

- (Dr) Kevin Bonham
ACF Selections Co-Ordinator (Senior Events)

This has been sent to the ACF Newsletter and should appear in the next edition.

I also don't expect the political issues to cause hassles. If they do so and the event is moved to a different country then I intend to issue a fresh call for applications.

ER
10-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Why pay homage to those military thugs with such an important international event in their homeground?
Can't we boycot the whole bloody thing and have the zonal here in Australia or in New Zealand?
Cheers and good luck!

Mischa
10-01-2007, 08:48 PM
But I want to go to FIJI

ER
10-01-2007, 09:38 PM
ok then, as long as you make sure sure sure, James and you and the rest of the family will be safe there!
Cheers and good luck

Denis_Jessop
10-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Why pay homage to those military thugs with such an important international event in their homeground?
Can't we boycot the whole bloody thing and have the zonal here in Australia or in New Zealand?
Cheers and good luck!

Neither the ACF nor the NZCF has any intention of boycotting the event. Moreover, as far as I know, the Fiji CF has no connection with the government.

The thought does occur to me, however, that the adoption of this approach may explain the low entry for the recently-concluded Australian Open.:hmm:

DJ

ER
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Neither the ACF nor the NZCF has any intention of boycotting the event...

DJ

There wasn't any intention on my behalf to blame Chess Authorities, be they in Australia, NZ or Fiji.
What I meant was that participating in whichever events there, sporting or otherwise, we add to the credibility of the military dictatorship.
Cheers and good luck

Denis_Jessop
12-01-2007, 07:00 PM
There wasn't any intention on my behalf to blame Chess Authorities, be they in Australia, NZ or Fiji.
What I meant was that participating in whichever events there, sporting or otherwise, we add to the credibility of the military dictatorship.
Cheers and good luck

I understand that. But perhaps we just have to agree to disagree on the other point. I don't think that attending would necessarily legitimate the coup nor would boycotting the event have a significant on the coup leaders (hence my reference to the Fiji CF not being associated with the government). There have been past occasions where boycotts have been imposed such as the Moscow and Los Angeles Olympics (though not at Berlin 1936).

DJ

MichaelBaron
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
I understand that. But perhaps we just have to agree to disagree on the other point. I don't think that attending would necessarily legitimate the coup nor would boycotting the event have a significant on the coup leaders (hence my reference to the Fiji CF not being associated with the government). There have been past occasions where boycotts have been imposed such as the Moscow and Los Angeles Olympics (though not at Berlin 1936).

DJ

I would not compare coup in Fiji with events in Hitler's Germany:hmm:

I think as long as the tourists are safe, nobody will really care about a change of government in Suva

ER
14-01-2007, 02:52 PM
... But perhaps we just have to agree to disagree on the other point. I don't think that attending would necessarily legitimate the coup nor would boycotting the event have a significant ...

DJ

Of course, boycotting events as the ones you are referring to, or others including banning countries for participating in major sporting events as was the case with the ex Yugoslavia did not really achieve anything special. Actually the first victims of this hard line attitude are usually sporting and cultural events. On the other hand, there must be some action taken toward authoritarian regimes. They should not be allowed to get away with murder, albeit the Suva coup was quite bloodless!
Cheers and good luck!

antichrist
14-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Fiji may have been chosen because of the coup - hotels are at bargain rates due to touros being scared off - snap it up!

Can individuals go on their own bat?

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Fiji was awarded this Zonal ages ago, well before the coup.

Kevin Bonham
06-02-2007, 02:04 AM
Following the close of applications, the following are the applicants to date:

Male (6)
IM David Smerdon
IM Gary Lane
FM Igor Goldenberg
IM Vladimir Feldman
IM Zong-Yuan Zhao
FM Igor Bjelobrk*

* Subject to provision of a copy of original application (email issues).

Female (2)
WIM Nancy Lane
IM Irina Berezina

Late applicants may be added only if they satisfy me that circumstances beyond their control prevented them from applying in time. Because of issues with the ACF Newsletter late last year, this may be more likely than normal.

I am in the process of forming a selection panel, and I will advise where ratings data and supporting comments can be viewed as soon as all relevant data is available and posted.

Kevin Bonham
ACF Selections Co-Ordinator (Senior Events).

The_Wise_Man
07-02-2007, 04:06 PM
but my guess is that its a toss up between David and Zong-Yuan...

Wise

Kevin Bonham
10-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Recent ACF data for each candidate and supporting comments provided are attached to this post. Neither female applicant has played any rapid games in the past two years.

For FIDE ratings data, selectors will be referred to the candidates' FIDE rating profiles online:

IM Gary Lane: http://www.fide.com/ratings/id.phtml?event=3203301
IM David Smerdon: http://www.fide.com/ratings/id.phtml?event=3202305
FM Igor Goldenberg: http://www.fide.com/ratings/id.phtml?event=3201970
IM Zong-Yuan Zhao: http://www.fide.com/ratings/id.phtml?event=3202534
IM Vladimir Feldman: http://www.fide.com/ratings/id.phtml?event=3201791
FM Igor Bjelobrk: http://www.fide.com/ratings/id.phtml?event=4300726

WIM Nancy Lane: http://www.fide.com/ratings/id.phtml?event=3203794
IM Irina Berezina: http://www.fide.com/ratings/id.phtml?event=3201937

Selectors will also be advised that the scaling varies between the different graphs.

Please notify any errors seen in the material to k_bonham@tassie.net.au by this coming Friday.

Kevin Bonham

ingela
20-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Does anyone know where to find the current schedule for the zonal? The dates have apparently been changed from 7-12 May to 5-12 May.

Garvinator
20-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know where to find the current schedule for the zonal? The dates have apparently been changed from 7-12 May to 5-12 May.
Hello Ingela,

This page: http://www.fijichess.com/default2.asp?active_page_id=74 is listing the zonal as 5th-12th May.

ingela
20-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks Garvin. I had a look, but they only seem to have the dates. I am just wondering what time the first and last round will be, so I can book flights. I guess more details will show up at some stage.

Watto
20-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks Garvin. I had a look, but they only seem to have the dates. I am just wondering what time the first and last round will be, so I can book flights. I guess more details will show up at some stage.
hi Ingela. Gary Bekker should know... in case you don't have his email address, you can email him from here (just go to members list and find gbekker)

Garvinator
20-02-2007, 02:38 PM
hi Ingela. Gary Bekker should know... in case you don't have his email address, you can email him from here (just go to members list and find gbekker)
have sent PM Watto.

Denis_Jessop
20-02-2007, 02:50 PM

Hi Ingela
The following details were supplied to me last year and I put them in one or two ACF Newsletters. I'm not sure if the dates are right as they were changed from those first advertised and I'm not sure which set I have quoted. The other details are all unchanged as far as I know.

2007 OCEANIA ZONAL CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Tournament Info

Venue: Sofitel Fiji Resort & SPA
Grand Ballroom
Denarau, Fiji Islands

Date: 5th May - 12th May 2007

Format: Open Tournament - 9 round Swiss
Women’s Tournament - 9 round Swiss or round robin
(depending on the no. of entries)

Time Control: 40 moves in 90 minutes, 30 minutes to finish, plus 30 second
per move from the start

Tournament Schedule:

5th May (Saturday) Opening Ceremony …………… 7.00 pm

6th May (Sunday) Round 1 ……………………….. 9.30 am

Round 2 ……………………….. 4.30 pm

7th May (Monday) Round 3 ……………………….. 9.30 am

Round 4 ……………………….. 4.30 pm

8th May (Tuesday) Round 5 ………………………… 2.00 pm

9th May (Wednesday) Round 6 ………………………. 2.00 pm

10th May (Thursday) Round 7 ………………………… 2.00 pm

11th May (Friday) Round 8 ………………………. 2.00 pm

12th May (Saturday) Round 9 ……………………….. 9.30 am
Playoffs ……………………….. 4.00 pm
Closing Ceremony……………….7.00 pm

Accomodation: Contact Dr Virgilio de Asa to make a reservation at phones (679) 331-4450 (w)/ (679) 331-2682 (a/h) or fax (679) 330-3655. Email: virgilio_de_asa@hotmail.com. A special room rate of F$199 per room per night (includes full breakfast for two) for Ocean King Room (king bed and fold out sofa bed) or Ocean Queen Room (one queen bed and one double bed) is available on a limited period. A small family or two players can share a room (F$99.50 each with full breakfast). Normal resort rate is F$337 ++ Booking is essential thru Fiji Chess Federation. See: www.sofitelfiji.com.fj or www.accorhotels.com.fj for details on the resort.

Entry Fees:

FIDE Rating Open: Women:

2400+ Free Free
2300+ F$150 Free
2200+ F$200 F$100
2100+ F$225 F$125
2000+ F$250 F$150
1800+ F$275 F$175
Unrated F$300 F$200

NB: Entries will not be considered confirmed until all fees have been paid. Entry fees not paid by 30th April 2007 will incur an additional 20% surcharge.

Payment of Fees
Payment can be made either by bankdraft made out to Fiji Chess Federation and sent to Dr Virgilio de Asa, G.P.O. Box 12408, Suva, Fiji or by direct debit into Colonial National Bank, Dominion House Branch, Suva, Fiji ( A/C No. 3104155).

Prize Fund Open: Women:
1st $1500 $750 2nd $1000 $500
3rd $ 500 $250
4th $ 300
5th $ 200
Best local player: $ 200 $100

NB: All prize fund is in Fiji dollars

Tournament Directors:

Mr. Jashint Maharaj (Fiji) - Chief Arbiter
Mr Gary Bekker (Aust) - Deputy Arbiter

International Titles
International titles will be awarded in both the Open & Women’s sections. These include an International Master (IM), two FIDE Master (FM) titles and Candidate Master (CM) titles in the Open section and Women’s International Master (WIM) and Women’s FIDE Master (WFM) titles.

FIDE Rated/World Championship Qualifier
Both events will be FIDE rated and will serve as the final qualifying cycles for both Open and Women’s Individual World Championships.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Registration Form:

Name: …………………………………………………………………………………

Address: ………………………………………………………………………………..

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

Email: ………………………………………………………………………………….

FIDE Rating: …………………………………………………………………………

Entry Fee: ……………………………………………………………………………..

FCF Registration Fee (FCF Players Only): ………………………………………..

Donation to Assists Costs: …………………………………………………………..

SOFITEL Fiji Resort & Spa

Fiji Islands newest five-star resort was opened for business on 1st July 2006. Located in Denarau Island, about 15 minutes drive from Nadi Airport, Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa is already achieving huge recognition and popularity around the globe. It’s defining success factor is the architecture and interior design of the rooms. It also features the Stage One Spa which is luxuriously fitted out and offers tranquil garden surroundings and a new breathtaking pool complex and has truly set the resort apart from any other hotel on Denarau Island. The resort provides Internet Services in the Business Centre located next to Reception on the lobby level. Wireless hot spots are also located throughout the main public areas including the restaurants and bars. Wired access is also available in the rooms. It also offers guests the services of a Kids Club, known as the Turtle Club, which caters for children 2-12 years old.

DR. VIRGILIO C. DE ASA
President, FCF
Chairman, Organizing Committee

DJ

ingela
20-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your help

Kevin Bonham
24-02-2007, 02:25 AM
The provisional selections based on the sum of the rankings of the five selectors are:

Male representative:
IM Zong Yuan Zhao

Reserves in selection order:
IM David Smerdon
IM Gary Lane
FM Igor Bjelobrk
FM Igor Goldenberg
IM Vladimir Feldman

Female representative:
IM Irina Berezina

Reserve:
WIM Nancy Lane

The selectors for these positions were IMs Stephen Solomon and Leonid Sandler, FMs Geoff Saw and Tim Reilly and IA Dr Charles Zworestine. My thanks again to them on behalf of the ACF for all their work on these selections.

- Kevin Bonham

peter_parr
26-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I respectfully suggest in future selections that as a matter of principle the regular club captain of one the leading applicants should not be made a selector for any overseas event that his regular club team member applies for.

Garrett
23-03-2007, 12:10 PM
bump

Garrett
23-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Open Event

GM Daryl Johanssen (AU)
FM Puchen Wang (NZ)
CM Calvin Prasad (FIJI)
IM Gary Lane (AU)
FM Bob Smith (NZ)
IM Vladimir Feldman (AU)
Paul Spiller (NZ)
James Morris (AU)
Stuart Fancy (PNG)
Manoj Kumar (FIJI)
Dr. Neel Arora (FIJI)
Krishneel Nair (FIJI)
Asheesh Gautam (FIJI)
FM Igor Bjelobrk (AU)
Alvis Chand (FIJI)

Women's Event

WCM Sue Maroroa (NZ)
WCM Vivian Smith (NZ)
WFM Keiran Lyons (FIJI)
Frentina Antrea (FIJI)
Imelda Flores (PNG)
WIM Nancy Lane (AU)
WIM Irena Berezina (AU)
Alexandra Jules(AU)

pax
23-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Is Zhao not confirmed?

Open Event

GM Daryl Johanssen (AU)
FM Puchen Wang (NZ)
CM Calvin Prasad (FIJI)
IM Gary Lane (AU)
FM Bob Smith (NZ)
IM Vladimir Feldman (AU)
Paul Spiller (NZ)
James Morris (AU)
Stuart Fancy (PNG)
Manoj Kumar (FIJI)
Dr. Neel Arora (FIJI)
Krishneel Nair (FIJI)
Asheesh Gautam (FIJI)
FM Igor Bjelobrk (AU)
Alvis Chand (FIJI)

Women's Event

WCM Sue Maroroa (NZ)
WCM Vivian Smith (NZ)
WFM Keiran Lyons (FIJI)
Frentina Antrea (FIJI)
Imelda Flores (PNG)
WIM Nancy Lane (AU)
WIM Irena Berezina (AU)
Alexandra Jules(AU)

Kevin Bonham
23-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Is Zhao not confirmed?

He has advised me that he is definitely able to go, but that was fairly recently and he was still checking to make absolutely certain it was all still on despite the coup etc, so I imagine he just hasn't confirmed with the organisers yet.

Garvinator
23-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Looks like a 7 round all play all for the women.

Igor_Goldenberg
25-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Looks like a 7 round all play all for the women.
Would be an intresting twist to make it 9 round swiss:D

Garvinator
25-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Would be an intresting twist to make it 9 round swiss:D
Certainly would test out the pairing programs ;)

Jason Hu
26-03-2007, 12:21 AM
anyone going by boat? :)

pax
26-03-2007, 01:49 PM
anyone going by boat? :)

Not unless they want to aprehended and sent to Nauru :)

Metro
27-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Any news re Fiji zonal?

Denis_Jessop
27-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Any news re Fiji zonal?

It starts on 5 May. Here are the entries as shown on the website http://www.oceaniachess.com/

Open Event
IM Zhong Yuan Zhao (AU)
FM Puchen Wang (NZ)
CM Calvin Prasad (FIJI)
IM Gary Lane (AU)
FM Bob Smith (NZ)
IM Vladimir Feldman (AU)
Paul Spiller (NZ)
James Morris (AU)
Stuart Fancy (PNG)
Manoj Kumar (FIJI)
Dr. Neel Arora (FIJI)
Asheesh Gautam (FIJI)
FM Igor Bjelobrk (AU)
Alvis Chand (FIJI)
FM Stephen Lukey (NZ)
Michael Steadman (NZ)
Dr. Sanmogam Goundar (FIJI)
Roneel Sharma (FIJI)
Taione Sikivou (FIJI)
Igor Goldenberg (AU)
Ibrahim Ogada-Osir (AU)
Sterling Ong (FIJI)
Ilija Ilic (AU)
Gene Nakauchi (AU)
IM David Smerdon (AU)
Sherab Guo-Yuthok (AU)
Andrew Fitzpatrick (AU)
Nicholas Chernih (AU)

Women's Event
WCM Sue Maroroa (NZ)
WCM Vivian Smith (NZ)
WFM Keiran Lyons (FIJI)
Frentina Antrea (FIJI)
Imelda Flores (PNG)
WIM Nancy Lane (AU)
WIM Irena Berezina (AU)
Alexandra Jules(AU)
Gloria Sukhu (FIJI)
Rebecca Harris (AU)
Jessica Kinder (AU)
Shirley Wu (NZ)
Rachna Ram (FIJI)

DJ

Garvinator
27-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Women Tournament:

13 players, 9 rounds. Will make for some interesting pairings. Pairing program testing should be interesting ;)

Oepty
30-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Women Tournament:

13 players, 9 rounds. Will make for some interesting pairings. Pairing program testing should be interesting ;)

Garvin. I think the pairings should be alright as long as there is at least one draw. If there are no draws it might get interesting, but the odds of that must massive.
Scott

Metro
02-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Player list update www.oceaniachess.com/confirmed_players.asp

Metro
03-05-2007, 02:55 AM
News from Suva:http://au.news.yahoo.com/070501/2/13b4c.html

Denis_Jessop
03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
News from Suva:http://au.news.yahoo.com/070501/2/13b4c.html

This was in Suva but the Zonal is not.

DJ

Garvinator
06-05-2007, 08:14 AM
If I have the session times and time difference correct, Round 1 should have started 45 minutes ago.

Denis_Jessop
06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
If I have the session times and time difference correct, Round 1 should have started 45 minutes ago.

That looks right. No info of any kind yet on the website though and it seems they are not transmitting any live games.

DJ

Igor_Goldenberg
06-05-2007, 06:52 PM
I think Jashint is going to update web site tonight.

First round upsets:
Lane drew with Illingworth (from exchange up)
Lukey, Ilic and Fancy drew as well. In other games higher rated players won (or it could be one more draw).

Nancy Lane lost to Imelda Flores (not sure who to did she lose, but sure of the result). One of the players pulled out and was replaced by India Morris (to make sure there are no byes and everyone has a chance for a norm). Don't know much more women's tournament.

In round 2 Smerdon drew with Feldman, Bjelobrk lost to Steadman. Zhao, Goldenberg and Wang won and with Steadman on 2 out of 2. Lukey won against Ilic, not sure about other games.

road runner
06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks Igor :)

brett
06-05-2007, 07:19 PM
How did Max Illingworth go in his 2nd round game?

brett
06-05-2007, 07:24 PM
How did Max Illingworth go in his 2nd round game?

Is there a website with the most up to date results?

Bereaved
06-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Go India!! hope you have fun!!

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Metro
07-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Go India!! hope you have fun!!

Hope James,India and 'Mischa' Morris have great time :P

bockman
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM

i hope the oceania president
is helping the chief arbiter in running this event...

Brian_Jones
07-05-2007, 04:37 PM

i hope the oceania president
is helping the chief arbiter in running this event...

Results are up now - well done Jashint!

Gary Bekker is probably "running" in the opposite direction to avoid getting involved with the DGT Boards (just as he did at the SIO).

Garvinator
07-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Cross Table

No Name Feder Rtg 1 2 3 4

1. Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2476 16:W 8:W 6:D 4:D
2. Smerdon, David AUS 2453 17:W 7:D 9:D 10:W
3. Lane, Gary AUS 2421 18:D 14:W 11:W 6:L
4. Goldenberg, Igor AUS 2388 19:W 13:W 10:W 1:D
5. Bjelobrk, Igor AUS 2386 20:W 10:L 15:W 14:W
6. Wang, Puchen NZL 2322 21:W 15:W 1:D 3:W
7. Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2304 22:W 2:D 26:W 8:D
8. Smith, Robert NZL 2294 23:W 1:L 19:W 7:D
9. Lukey, Stephen NZL 2290 24:D 12:W 2:D 18:W
10. Steadman, Michael NZL 2273 25:W 5:W 4:L 2:L
11. Fancy, Stuart PNG 2171 26:D 24:W 3:L 27:L
12. Ilic, Ilija AUS 2170 27:D 9:L 23:D 19:D
13. Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2062 28:W 4:L 18:L 22:L
14. Chernih, Nick AUS 2052 29:W 3:L 21:W 5:L
15. Spiller, Paul NZL 2047 30:W 6:L 5:L 21:D
16. Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2028 1:L 23:D 27:D 28:D
17. Mendes da Costa, Alex AUS 2017 2:L 26:L 30:W 23:D
18. Illingworth, Max AUS 2006 3:D 27:D 13:W 9:L
19. Gautam, Asheesh FIJ 1948 4:L 28:W 8:L 12:D
20. Morris, James AUS 1948 5:L 25:D 29:W 26:W
21. Arora, Neel FIJ 1911 6:L 30:W 14:L 15:D
22. Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1877 7:L 29:D 25:W 13:W
23. Prasad, Calvin FIJ 1821 8:L 16:D 12:D 17:D
24. Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 9:D 11:L 28:L 25:D
25. Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 10:L 20:D 22:L 24:D
26. Sharma, Roneel FIJ 11:D 17:W 7:L 20:L
27. Nakauchi, Gene AUS 12:D 18:D 16:D 11:W
28. Chand, Alvis FIJ 13:L 19:L 24:W 16:D
29. Sikivou, Taione FIJ 14:L 22:D 20:L 30:W
30. Ong, Sterling FIJ 15:L 21:L 17:L 29:L

Garvinator
07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Place Name Feder Rtg Loc Score M-Buch. Buch. Progr.

1-2 Wang, Puchen NZL 2322 3.5 4.0 8.5 9.0
Goldenberg, Igor AUS 2388 3.5 3.5 7.5 9.5
3-7 Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2476 3 6.0 11.0 8.5
Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2304 3 5.0 9.5 8.0
Smerdon, David AUS 2453 3 5.0 9.5 7.5
Bjelobrk, Igor AUS 2386 3 4.0 8.0 7.0
Lukey, Stephen NZL 2290 3 3.5 7.5 7.0
8-12 Smith, Robert NZL 2294 2.5 4.5 9.0 6.5
Lane, Gary AUS 2421 2.5 4.0 9.0 7.0
Morris, James AUS 1948 2.5 3.0 7.0 4.5
Nakauchi, Gene AUS 1703 2.5 3.0 6.5 5.5
Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1877 2.5 2.5 6.5 4.5
13-15 Steadman, Michael NZL 2273 2 6.0 10.5 7.0
Illingworth, Max AUS 2006 2 5.0 9.0 5.5
Chernih, Nick AUS 2052 2 4.0 8.5 6.0
16-26 Spiller, Paul NZL 2047 1.5 4.5 8.0 4.5
Sikivou, Taione FIJ 1529 1.5 4.5 7.0 2.5
Gautam, Asheesh FIJ 1948 1.5 4.0 9.0 3.5
Sharma, Roneel FIJ 1864 1.5 4.0 8.5 5.0
Ilic, Ilija AUS 2170 1.5 4.0 8.5 3.5
Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2028 1.5 4.0 8.5 3.0
Fancy, Stuart PNG 2171 1.5 4.0 7.5 5.0
Arora, Neel FIJ 1911 1.5 3.5 7.0 3.5
Prasad, Calvin FIJ 1821 1.5 3.0 7.0 3.0
Mendes da Costa, Alex AUS 2017 1.5 3.0 6.0 2.5
Chand, Alvis FIJ 1615 1.5 2.5 5.0 2.5
27-29 Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2062 1 4.5 9.5 4.0
Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 1941 1 4.5 8.0 2.0
Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1955 1 3.0 7.0 2.5
30 Ong, Sterling FIJ 1456 0 3.0 6.0 0.0

Garvinator
07-05-2007, 08:14 PM
No Name Feder Rtg Total Result Name Feder Rtg Total

1 Wang, Puchen NZL 2322 [3.5] : Goldenberg, Igor AUS 2388 [3.5]
2 Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2476 [3] : Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2304 [3]
3 Bjelobrk, Igor AUS 2386 [3] : Smerdon, David AUS 2453 [3]
4 Lukey, Stephen NZL 2290 [3] : Smith, Robert NZL 2294 [2.5]
5 Lane, Gary AUS 2421 [2.5] : Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1877 [2.5]
6 Nakauchi, Gene AUS [2.5] : Morris, James AUS 1948 [2.5]
7 Steadman, Michael NZL 2273 [2] : Chernih, Nick AUS 2052 [2]
8 Mendes da Costa, Alex AUS 2017 [1.5] : Illingworth, Max AUS 2006 [2]
9 Arora, Neel FIJ 1911 [1.5] : Fancy, Stuart PNG 2171 [1.5]
10 Sharma, Roneel FIJ [1.5] : Ilic, Ilija AUS 2170 [1.5]
11 Chand, Alvis FIJ [1.5] : Spiller, Paul NZL 2047 [1.5]
12 Sikivou, Taione FIJ [1.5] : Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2028 [1.5]
13 Gautam, Asheesh FIJ 1948 [1.5] : Prasad, Calvin FIJ 1821 [1.5]
14 Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2062 [1] : Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ [1]
15 Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS [1] : Ong, Sterling FIJ [0]

Garvinator
07-05-2007, 08:14 PM
No Name Feder Rtg 1 2 3 4

1. Berezina, Irina AUS 2258 7:W 9:W 4:W 3:D
2. Lane, Nancy AUS 1967 9:L 6:W 10:L 7:W
3. Maroroa, Sue NZL 1932 10:W 12:D 5:W 1:D
4. Jule, Alexandra AUS 1909 11:W 13:W 1:L 8:W
5. Fairley, Natasha NZL 1757 12:L 14:W 3:L 13:W
6. Smith, Vivian NZL 1742 8:D 2:L 11:W 12:W
7. Sukhu, Gloria FIJ 1674 1:L 8:L 14:W 2:L
8. Lyons, Keiran FIJ 6:D 7:W 12:W 4:L
9. Flores, Imelda PNG 2:W 1:L 13:W 10:L
10. Harris, Rebecca AUS 3:L 11:W 2:W 9:W
11. Antrea, Frentina FIJ 4:L 10:L 6:L 14:W
12. Wu, Shirley NZL 5:W 3:D 8:L 6:L
13. Ram, Rachna FIJ 14:W 4:L 9:L 5:L
14. Morris, India AUS 13:L 5:L 7:L 11:L

Garvinator
07-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Place Name Feder Rtg Loc Score M-Buch. Buch. Progr.

1 Berezina, Irina AUS 2258 3.5 5.0 9.0 9.5
2-4 Maroroa, Sue NZL 1932 3 5.0 10.0 8.0
Harris, Rebecca AUS 1630 3 4.0 8.0 6.0
Jule, Alexandra AUS 1909 3 3.5 8.0 8.0
5-6 Lyons, Keiran FIJ 1389 2.5 4.0 8.0 7.0
Smith, Vivian NZL 1742 2.5 3.5 7.0 5.0
7-9 Flores, Imelda PNG 1700 2 5.0 9.5 6.0
Lane, Nancy AUS 1967 2 4.5 8.5 4.0
Fairley, Natasha NZL 1757 2 2.5 5.5 4.0
10 Wu, Shirley NZL 1502 1.5 5.0 10.0 5.5
11-13 Antrea, Frentina FIJ 1589 1 5.5 8.5 1.0
Sukhu, Gloria FIJ 1674 1 4.5 8.0 2.0
Ram, Rachna FIJ 1356 1 4.0 7.0 4.0
14 Morris, India AUS 800 0 2.0 5.0 0.0

Garvinator
07-05-2007, 08:16 PM

1 Irina Berezina AUS 2258 [3.5] : Rebecca Harris AUS [3]
2 Alexandra Jule AUS 1909 [3] : Sue Maroroa NZL 1932 [3]
3 Keiran Lyons FIJ [2.5] : Natasha Fairley NZL 1757 [2]
4 Imelda Flores PNG [2] : Vivian Smith NZL 1742 [2.5]
5 Nancy Lane AUS 1967 [2] : Frentina Antrea FIJ [1]
6 Shirley Wu NZL [1.5] : India Morris AUS [0]
7 Rachna Ram FIJ [1] : Gloria Sukhu FIJ 1674 [1]

road runner
07-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Great start for Nakauchi :clap:

pax
09-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Great start for Nakauchi :clap:

And another win in round five for Nakauchi. Only one point away now from the magic 4.5 mark :)

Garvinator
09-05-2007, 02:31 PM
And another win in round five for Nakauchi. Only one point away now from the magic 4.5 mark :)
I take you are talking about getting the Fide Master title.

If so, wont Nakauchi also have to meet this requirement:

1.2 (c) As in (b), but where a zonal is an open Swiss, only the two highest scoring or the highest placed on tie-break shall be awarded the title. (GA 2000)
1st = means shared first place.

Therefore, I would imagine that he would have to score well over 50% to get the FM title.

pax
09-05-2007, 02:53 PM
I take you are talking about getting the Fide Master title.

If so, wont Nakauchi also have to meet this requirement:

Yes of course, but 4.5 is still the cutoff mark. I don't know that a score much in excess of 50% will be required - only one other player chasing the FM title is on more than 50% at the moment (Steadman on 3/5).

zigzag
10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
How many FM titles are available in our zonal?:hmm:
How does FIDE determine how many titles,FM/IM/GM are available in each zonal?:hmm:

pax
10-05-2007, 11:27 AM
How many FM titles are available in our zonal?:hmm:
How does FIDE determine how many titles,FM/IM/GM are available in each zonal?:hmm:

One IM title and two FM titles are available in open zonals. If the zonal is not open, more titles can be awarded.

Ian Rout
10-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't think it's been mentioned before but I just noticed in the rules

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B0101

that players can get CM titles at the Zonal with a score of 40% (max two).

This is a more exclusive title than FM or IM (or even GM at present) as I don't think Australia has any at all.

Similarly WCM titles are available.

pax
10-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Goldenberg wins the battle of the Igors to take the lead in the race for the IM title.

In fact, "the battle of the Igors" brings Pratchett to mind. "Yeth, marthter?"

road runner
10-05-2007, 03:46 PM
:lol:

Denis_Jessop
10-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't think it's been mentioned before but I just noticed in the rules

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B0101

that players can get CM titles at the Zonal with a score of 40% (max two).

This is a more exclusive title than FM or IM (or even GM at present) as I don't think Australia has any at all.

Similarly WCM titles are available.

That's right. I mentioned CM titles in a posting a while ago. Either Australians don't know about them or they don't care. There are no Australian CMs yet.

DJ

Garvinator
10-05-2007, 04:41 PM
That's right. I mentioned CM titles in a posting a while ago. Either Australians don't know about them or they don't care. There are no Australian CMs yet.

DJ
Does having more CM's mean anything to the person paying the cash for the title or for organisers?

road runner
10-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Does having more CM's mean anything to the person paying the cash for the title or for organisers?It'd mean something to me, if I were good enough and I earnt the title I would certainly pay the processing fee to get it.

Leonid Sandler
10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
I wish Igor Goldenberg all luck in the world in his hunt for International master title!
He deserves the title.By the way he have got a very good chances to win the tournament.Go Igor!

Garvinator
11-05-2007, 12:48 AM

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2476 [5] : Smerdon, David AUS 2453 [4]
2 Smith, Robert NZL 2294 [4] : Goldenberg, Igor AUS 2388 [5]
3 Steadman, Michael NZL 2273 [4] : Wang, Puchen NZL 2322 [4.5]
4 Bjelobrk, Igor AUS 2386 [4] : Illingworth, Max AUS 2006 [3.5]
5 Lukey, Stephen NZL 2290 [3.5] : Lane, Gary AUS 2421 [3.5]
6 Nakauchi, Gene AUS [3.5] : Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2304 [3.5]
7 Morris, James AUS 1948 [3.5] : Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2028 [3]
8 Gautam, Asheesh FIJ 1948 [3] : Chernih, Nick AUS 2052 [3]
9 Fancy, Stuart PNG 2171 [2.5] : Mendes da Costa, Alex AUS 2017 [2.5]
10 Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS [2.5] : Ilic, Ilija AUS 2170 [2.5]
11 Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2062 [2.5] : Prasad, Calvin FIJ 1821 [2.5]
12 Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1877 [2.5] : Spiller, Paul NZL 2047 [2.5]
13 Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ [2] : Sharma, Roneel FIJ [2.5]
14 Arora, Neel FIJ 1911 [1.5] : Sikivou, Taione FIJ [1.5]
15 Ong, Sterling FIJ [0] : Chand, Alvis FIJ [2]

Garvinator
11-05-2007, 12:49 AM

1 Irina Berezina AUS 2258 [5] : Shirley Wu NZL [3.5]
2 Alexandra Jule AUS 1909 [4.5] : Rebecca Harris AUS [4]
3 Sue Maroroa NZL 1932 [4] : Vivian Smith NZL 1742 [4]
4 Natasha Fairley NZL 1757 [3] : Nancy Lane AUS 1967 [3.5]
5 Imelda Flores PNG [3] : Gloria Sukhu FIJ 1674 [3]
6 Keiran Lyons FIJ [2.5] : India Morris AUS [0]
7 Frentina Antrea FIJ [1] : Rachna Ram FIJ [1]

pax
11-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Interestingly, Goldenberg, Puchen Wang and Bob Smith are all in the running for IM norms at the moment (as well as vying for the outright title). I estimate that Goldenberg and Smith need 1.5/2, and Wang 1/2. Also Goldenberg would need to face an IM in the final round.

It would be amusing if Bjelobrk won the IM title without a norm performance (he cannot play enough titled players) and the other three missed the title but scored norms.

Garvinator
11-05-2007, 05:27 PM
No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total Result Name Feder Rtg Loc Total

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2476 [5] .5:.5 Smerdon, David AUS 2453 [4]
2 Smith, Robert NZL 2294 [4] 1:0 Goldenberg, Igor AUS 2388 [5]
3 Steadman, Michael NZL 2273 [4] 0:1 Wang, Puchen NZL 2322 [4.5]
4 Bjelobrk, Igor AUS 2386 [4] 1:0 Illingworth, Max AUS 2006 [3.5]
5 Lukey, Stephen NZL 2290 [3.5] .5:.5 Lane, Gary AUS 2421 [3.5]
6 Nakauchi, Gene AUS 1703 [3.5] 0:1 Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2304 [3.5]
7 Morris, James AUS 1948 [3.5] .5:.5 Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2028 [3]
8 Gautam, Asheesh FIJ 1948 [3] 0:1 Chernih, Nick AUS 2052 [3]
9 Fancy, Stuart PNG 2171 [2.5] 0:1 Mendes da Costa, Alex AUS 2017 [2.5]
10 Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 1941 [2.5] 1:0 Ilic, Ilija AUS 2170 [2.5]
11 Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2062 [2.5] 1:0 Prasad, Calvin FIJ 1821 [2.5]
12 Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1877 [2.5] .5:.5 Spiller, Paul NZL 2047 [2.5]
13 Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1955 [2] .5:.5 Sharma, Roneel FIJ 1864 [2.5]
14 Arora, Neel FIJ 1911 [1.5] 0:1 Sikivou, Taione FIJ 1529 [1.5]
15 Ong, Sterling FIJ 1456 [0] 0:1 Chand, Alvis FIJ 1615 [2]

Garvinator
11-05-2007, 05:28 PM
No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total Result Name Feder Rtg Loc Total

1 Bjelobrk, Igor AUS 2386 [5] : Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2476 [5.5]
2 Wang, Puchen NZL 2322 [5.5] : Smerdon, David AUS 2453 [4.5]
3 Goldenberg, Igor AUS 2388 [5] : Feldman, Vladimir AUS 2304 [4.5]
4 Lane, Gary AUS 2421 [4] : Smith, Robert NZL 2294 [5]
5 Chernih, Nick AUS 2052 [4] : Lukey, Stephen NZL 2290 [4]
6 Morris, James AUS 1948 [4] : Steadman, Michael NZL 2273 [4]
7 Nakauchi, Gene AUS 1703 [3.5] : Fitzpatrick, Andrew AUS 2062 [3.5]
8 Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2028 [3.5] : Mendes da Costa, Alex AUS 2017 [3.5]
9 Illingworth, Max AUS 2006 [3.5] : Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim AUS 1941 [3.5]
10 Spiller, Paul NZL 2047 [3] : Gautam, Asheesh FIJ 1948 [3]
11 Chand, Alvis FIJ 1615 [3] : Sharma, Roneel FIJ 1864 [3]
12 Guo-Yuthok, Sherab AUS 1877 [3] : Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1955 [2.5]
13 Sikivou, Taione FIJ 1529 [2.5] : Fancy, Stuart PNG 2171 [2.5]
14 Ilic, Ilija AUS 2170 [2.5] : Arora, Neel FIJ 1911 [1.5]
15 Ong, Sterling FIJ 1456 [0] : Prasad, Calvin FIJ 1821 [2.5]

Garvinator
11-05-2007, 05:30 PM

1 Irina Berezina AUS 2258 [6] : Natasha Fairley NZL 1757 [4]
2 Vivian Smith NZL 1742 [4.5] : Alexandra Jule AUS 1909 [5.5]
3 Sue Maroroa NZL 1932 [4.5] : Imelda Flores PNG [4]
4 Rebecca Harris AUS [4] : Gloria Sukhu FIJ 1674 [3]
5 Shirley Wu NZL [3.5] : Frentina Antrea FIJ [2]
6 Rachna Ram FIJ [1] : Keiran Lyons FIJ [3.5]
7 India Morris AUS [0] : Nancy Lane AUS 1967 [3.5]

Capablanca-Fan
11-05-2007, 07:14 PM
It'd mean something to me, if I were good enough and I earnt the title I would certainly pay the processing fee to get it.
You seem about as strong as Nik Stawski, FM.

Capablanca-Fan
11-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Interestingly, Goldenberg, Puchen Wang and Bob Smith are all in the running for IM norms at the moment (as well as vying for the outright title). I estimate that Goldenberg and Smith need 1.5/2, and Wang 1/2.

Puchen Wang is only 16 and won the latest NZ Champs convincingly, beating Tim Reilly among others, and finishing ahead of IMs Russell Dive and Anthony Ker.

Garvinator
11-05-2007, 07:39 PM
You seem about as strong as Nik Stawski, FM.
Boris was referring to the CM title, not the FM title in response to my question-

Does having more CM's mean anything to the person paying the cash for the title or for organisers?

To get the CM title on rating alone, a player needs a rating of 2200.

pax
11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Puchen Wang is only 16 and won the latest NZ Champs convincingly, beating Tim Reilly among others, and finishing ahead of IMs Russell Dive and Anthony Ker.

No doubt about it, the kid is very talented. And despite being so young, it seems like he has been around the top echelon of NZ chess for some time.

Jason Hu
11-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Someone has got to live relay this game: Mendes da Costa, Alex AUS 2017 [4.5] : Nakauchi, Gene AUS 1703 [4.5]
Winner of the game gets FM!!!

Bill Gletsos
11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
If the 4 leaders all win or all draw then Goldenberg will win the event on tie-break as progressive is the main tiebreak criteria.

Goldenberg will still get the IM title if he, Wang and Smith all win or draw.

If however Goldenberg, Wang and Smith all lose then that would mean Bjelobrk would get the IM title.

Bill Gletsos
11-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Someone has got to live relay this game: Mendes da Costa, Alex AUS 2017 [4.5] : Nakauchi, Gene AUS 1703 [4.5]
Winner of the game gets FM!!!If they draw Nakauchi would still get it provided Zhao beats Morris.
If Morris draws with or beats Zhao then he would get an FM title and the winner of Mendes da Costa V Nakauchi would get the other.
If Morris draws with or beats Zhao then he would get an FM title and if Mendes da Costa V Nakauchi is drawn then if Steadman beats Illingworth, Steadman would get the FM title. If Illingworth wins or draws with Steadman then Nakauchi would get the FM title.
If Zhao beats Morris, Mendes da costa beats Nakauchi and Illingworth draws with or beats Steadman then the FM titles would go to Mendes da Costa and Morris, however if Steadman wins then the FM titles would be Mendes da Costa and Steadman.

Even if they win their last round games, Illingworth, Chernith and Ogada-Osir cannot get the FM title no matter how the other results go.

I think I have that worked out correctly. :hmm:

pax
11-05-2007, 09:16 PM
It's a fascinating situation, because as I read it Goldenberg, Smith and Wang all get an IM norm with a draw or better. So do they bust a gut to go for the tournament and title? They all have difficult games so it's very tough to call.

Here goes the full prediction: Zhao to win the tournament outright. Goldenberg to take the IM title on tiebreak from Wang (who makes an IM norm). Bjelobrk to beat Smith. Steadman and Mendes da Costa to take the FM titles.

MichaelBaron
11-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Chess is a game ..anything can happen.
As for predictions....i would rather be black against Lukey then Black against Smerdon. However, Igor is probably still a bit stronger and certainly more experienced than Wang So given Igor's better perf rating, i rate their chances as 50/50. As for Smith, if Bjelbork tries to win at all costs (since he also has an outside chance for the title if Igor loses and Wang does not win) he too may get a chance.

Anyway, may the best man win!

Basil
11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Anyway, may the best man win!
Indeed! What a situation!

pax
11-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Oh, the joy of small swisses.

Nancy Lane played India Morris (0/7) in round 8, and plays Irina Berezina (7/8) in round nine. Last board to first board in a single leap!

road runner
12-05-2007, 10:24 AM
You seem about as strong as Nik Stawski, FM.As far as I can recall, we have only met once. It was in the City of Brisbane championship, in 2000 from memory. The game ended in a draw, and from memory I think that was the only glitch from him taking a perfect score.

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Zong-Yuan Zhao wins with 7/9

Igor Goldenberg gets IM title with 6.5 on sum of progressive score tiebreak.
If the tiebreak is sum of opponents rating less lowest rated opponent then Puchen Wang will get the IM title.

Gene Nakauchi & James Morris with 5/9 get FM titles on tiebreak.

Note the above is based on my understanding of the FIDE regulations.

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Irina Berezina-Feldman wins with 7.5/9.

Alexandra Jule gets WIM title with 6.5/9.

Sue Maroroa gets WFM title with 6/9 and a tiebreak of 31.0.

Rebecca Harris gets the other WFM title ahead of Vivian Smith rvrn though they have the same progressive tiebreak of 28.0.

This is because the next criteria is to recalculate the progressive but ignore the first round. This leaves Rebecca still with a tiebreak of 28.0 but Vivian with only 27.5.

Note the above is based on my understanding of the FIDE regulations.

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 12:50 PM
FWIW it appears that the draw was manually changed in the Open Zonal in rounds 5, 7, 8 and 9.

Garvinator
12-05-2007, 01:10 PM
FWIW it appears that the draw was manually changed in the Open Zonal in rounds 5, 7, 8 and 9.
Do you have an opinion on whether the changes were correct according to dutch pairing rules?

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Do you have an opinion on whether the changes were correct according to dutch pairing rules?I dont believe the majority were although some may have been.

Also I just noticed that round 9 of the Womens was a manual pairing on all 7 boards.

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 01:24 PM
No Name Feder Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan NSW 2537 7 16:W 4:W 3:D 2:D 8:W 14:W 6:D 5:D 10:W
2 Goldenberg, Igor VIC 2368 6.5 24:W 22:W 19:W 1:D 3:D 5:W 4:L 8:W 6:D
3 Wang, Puchen OS 2251 6.5 29:W 23:W 1:D 14:W 2:D 4:D 19:W 6:D 7:D
4 Smith, Robert W OS 2285 6.5 17:W 1:L 24:W 8:D 7:W 3:D 2:W 14:W 5:D
5 Bjelobrk, Igor NSW 2422 6 10:W 19:L 23:W 20:W 6:W 2:L 11:W 1:D 4:D
6 Smerdon, David C VIC 2469 5.5 12:W 8:D 7:D 19:W 5:L 9:W 1:D 3:D 2:D
7 Lukey, Stephen G OS 2358 5.5 27:D 25:W 6:D 11:W 4:L 8:D 14:D 20:W 3:D
8 Feldman, Vladimir NSW 2275 5 15:W 6:D 26:W 4:D 1:L 7:D 9:W 2:L 14:D
9 Nakauchi, Gene QLD 1703 5 25:D 11:D 16:D 21:W 10:W 6:L 8:L 22:W 12:D
10 Morris, James VIC 1916 5 5:L 13:D 28:W 26:W 9:L 25:W 16:D 19:W 1:L
11 Illingworth, Max NSW 1963 5 14:D 9:D 22:W 7:L 12:D 15:W 5:L 13:D 19:W
12 Mendes da Costa, Alex NSW 1925 5 6:L 26:L 30:W 17:D 11:D 22:D 21:W 16:W 9:D
13 Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim VIC 1941 5 19:L 10:D 15:L 27:D 30:W 23:D 25:W 11:D 20:W
14 Lane, Gary W NSW 2452 4.5 11:D 20:W 21:W 3:L 15:W 1:L 7:D 4:L 8:D
15 Guo-Yuthok, Sherab ACT 1798 4.5 8:L 28:D 13:W 22:W 14:L 11:L 23:D 27:D 30:W
16 Kumar, Manoj OS 1834 4.5 1:L 17:D 9:D 18:D 28:W 24:D 10:D 12:L 26:W
17 Prasad, Calvin OS 1762 4.5 4:L 16:D 25:D 12:D 24:L 28:W 22:L 30:W 29:W
18 Chand, Alvis OS 4.5 22:L 24:L 27:W 16:D 23:D 20:L 30:W 26:D 28:W
19 Steadman, Michael OS 2227 4 13:W 5:W 2:L 6:L 20:W 21:W 3:L 10:L 11:L
20 Chernih, Nicholas NSW 2004 4 28:W 14:L 29:W 5:L 19:L 18:W 24:W 7:L 13:L
21 Fancy, Stuart OS 2239 4 26:D 27:W 14:L 9:L 29:W 19:L 12:L 28:W 23:D
22 Fitzpatrick, Andrew VIC 1879 4 18:W 2:L 11:L 15:L 27:W 12:D 17:W 9:L 25:D
23 Spiller, Paul OS 2131 4 30:W 3:L 5:L 29:D 18:D 13:D 15:D 24:D 21:D
24 Gautam, Asheesh OS 4 2:L 18:W 4:L 25:D 17:W 16:D 20:L 23:D 27:D
25 Ilic, Ilija NSW 2150 4 9:D 7:L 17:D 24:D 26:W 10:L 13:L 29:W 22:D
26 Sharma, Roneel OS 3.5 21:D 12:W 8:L 10:L 25:L 29:W 27:D 18:D 16:L
27 Goundar, Sanmogam OS 3.5 7:D 21:L 18:L 13:D 22:L 30:W 26:D 15:D 24:D
28 Sikivou, Taione OS 2.5 20:L 15:D 10:L 30:W 16:L 17:L 29:W 21:L 18:L
29 Arora, Neel OS 1.5 3:L 30:W 20:L 23:D 21:L 26:L 28:L 25:L 17:L
30 Ong, Sterling OS 0 23:L 29:L 12:L 28:L 13:L 27:L 18:L 17:L 15:L

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Place Name Feder Rtg Loc Score Progr.

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan NSW 2537 7 36.0
2-4 Goldenberg, Igor VIC 2368 6.5 36.0
Wang, Puchen OS 2251 6.5 35.5
Smith, Robert W OS 2285 6.5 31.5
5 Bjelobrk, Igor NSW 2422 6 31.5
6-7 Smerdon, David C VIC 2469 5.5 29.5
Lukey, Stephen G OS 2358 5.5 28.0
8-13 Feldman, Vladimir NSW 2275 5 28.5
Nakauchi, Gene QLD 1703 5 25.5
Morris, James VIC 1916 5 24.5
Illingworth, Max NSW 1963 5 24.0
Mendes da Costa, Alex NSW 1925 5 20.0
Ogada-Osir, Ibrahim VIC 1941 5 19.0
14-18 Lane, Gary W NSW 2452 4.5 26.5
Guo-Yuthok, Sherab ACT 1798 4.5 20.5
Kumar, Manoj OS 1834 4.5 20.0
Prasad, Calvin OS 1762 4.5 17.5
Chand, Alvis OS 4.5 17.5
19-25 Steadman, Michael OS 2227 4 26.0
Chernih, Nicholas NSW 2004 4 23.0
Fancy, Stuart OS 2239 4 20.0
Fitzpatrick, Andrew VIC 1879 4 19.5
Spiller, Paul OS 2131 4 19.5
Gautam, Asheesh OS 4 19.5
Ilic, Ilija NSW 2150 4 18.5
26-27 Sharma, Roneel OS 3.5 19.0
Goundar, Sanmogam OS 3.5 14.5
28 Sikivou, Taione OS 2.5 13.0
29 Arora, Neel OS 1.5 11.0
30 Ong, Sterling OS 0 0.0

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 01:30 PM
No Name Feder Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1 Berezina - Feldman, Irina NSW 2192 7.5 11:W 6:W 2:W 3:D 5:W 4:D 10:W 8:W 7:D
2 Jule, Alexandra QLD 1612 6.5 12:W 13:W 1:L 9:W 3:D 8:W 5:W 4:D 6:D
3 Maroroa, Sue OS 6 5:W 10:D 8:W 1:D 2:D 7:D 4:D 6:D 9:W
4 Smith, Vivian OS 1619 6 9:D 7:L 12:W 10:W 6:W 1:D 3:D 2:D 13:W
5 Harris, Rebecca NSW 1630 6 3:L 12:W 7:W 6:W 1:L 9:W 2:L 11:W 14:W
6 Flores, Imelda OS 5 7:W 1:L 13:W 5:L 4:L 14:W 11:W 3:D 2:D
7 Lane, Nancy L NSW 1855 5 6:L 4:W 5:L 11:W 12:W 3:D 8:L 14:W 1:D
8 Fairley, Natasha OS 1605 5 10:L 14:W 3:L 13:W 9:W 2:L 7:W 1:L 12:W
9 Lyons, Kieran C QLD 1389 4.5 4:D 11:W 10:W 2:L 8:L 5:L 14:W 13:W 3:L
10 Wu, Shirley OS 4.5 8:W 3:D 9:L 4:L 14:W 13:W 1:L 12:W 11:L
11 Sukhu, Gloria OS 4 1:L 9:L 14:W 7:L 13:W 12:W 6:L 5:L 10:W
12 Antrea, Frentina OS 2 2:L 5:L 4:L 14:W 7:L 11:L 13:W 10:L 8:L
13 Ram, Rachna OS 1 14:W 2:L 6:L 8:L 11:L 10:L 12:L 9:L 4:L
14 Morris, India VIC 0 13:L 8:L 11:L 12:L 10:L 6:L 9:L 7:L 5:L

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Place Name Feder Rtg Loc Score Progr.

1 Berezina - Feldman, Irina NSW 2192 7.5 39.5
2 Jule, Alexandra QLD 1612 6.5 34.0
3-5 Maroroa, Sue OS 6 31.0
Smith, Vivian OS 1619 6 28.0
Harris, Rebecca NSW 1630 6 28.0
6-8 Flores, Imelda OS 5 24.5
Lane, Nancy L NSW 1855 5 23.5
Fairley, Natasha OS 1605 5 23.0
9-10 Lyons, Kieran C QLD 1389 4.5 24.5
Wu, Shirley OS 4.5 24.0
11 Sukhu, Gloria OS 4 17.0
12 Antrea, Frentina OS 2 9.0
13 Ram, Rachna OS 1 9.0
14 Morris, India VIC 0 0.0

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I note that on the standings list on the website they are ranking them in the order of sum of opponents ratings less the lowest rated opponent.

Place Name Feder Rtg Loc Title Score Rtg Sum Progr.

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2476 im 7 18596 36.0
2-4 Wang, Puchen NZL 2322 fm 6.5 18642 35.5
Goldenberg, Igor AUS 2388 fm 6.5 18570 36.0
Smith, Robert NZL 2294 fm 6.5 18535 31.5

If this is correct then Puchen Wang gets the IM title and not Igor Goldenberg.

pax
12-05-2007, 05:10 PM

It's odd that the rest of the players are not ranked the same way (e.g the FM candidates)..

I think Goldenberg will be over 2400 on the next list based on his performance here, so if he has missed the title he still has good prospects of getting the title the old fashioned way..

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 05:19 PM
The website is ranking the players in the order of sum of opponents ratings less the lowest rated opponent.

They could be basing this on the following from D.I.01:

5.1.6 (GA `95) If a Zonal qualifying tournament produces a tie among more than two players and the right to participate in the next stage of the cycle depends on the finishing order of these players, the tie shall be broken according to the standard tie-break regulations, as follows:

5.1.7 For Swiss tournaments where the players involved have all played only against rated opponents, after eliminating the lowest rated opponent, find the sum of opponents` ratings. The highest total wins. If still tied, eliminate the rating of the next lowest rated opponent(s) until a decision is possible.

For other Swiss tournaments, the sum of progressive scores. The highest total wins. If still tied, deduct the first round score, and if necessary the second round and so on.

This section however applies to the right to proceed into the next level of the competition. Given that Zhao was the winner this section does not apply and has no basis in the splitting of ties for the awarding of titles.

They could also be basing it on c.06.11:

7. Choice of Tiebreak System

The choice of the Tiebreak System to be used in a tournament shall be decided in advance taking into account the type of the tournament (Swiss, Round Robin, Teams, etc.) and the special structure of players expected to participate in the tournament. For instance the application of Tiebreak rules using the ratings of players is inappropriate in tournaments where the ratings are not available or not consistent or not necessarily correct (e.g. Junior/Senior tournaments)
Only one type of the five categories described above should be used for a given event. For example: using Sum of Progressive Score + Buchholz would be incorrect.
For different types of tournaments the Tiebreak Rules recommended are as listed below:
(a) Individual Round Robin Tournaments:
Direct encounter
Playoff
Number of games played with Black
Koya System
Sonneborn-Berger
Number of won games

(b) Team Round Robin System:
Games points
Match points
Direct encounter
Playoff
Sonneborn-Berger

(c) Individual Swiss Systems (all players have consistent ratings):
Direct encounter
Tournament Performance Rating
Average rating of opponents
Playoff

(d) Individual Swiss Systems (where not all the ratings are consistent):
Direct encounter
Sum of progressive score
Buchholz
Playoff
Sonneborn-Berger
Won games
Games played with Black

(e) Team Swiss Systems:
Games points
Match points
Direct encounter
Playoff
Buchholz
Sonneborn-Berger
Note in there it says Only one type of the five categories described above should be used for a given event

This refers to the 5 categories described earlier in c.06.11.
i.e. Tiebreak Rules using the Player’s own results
Tiebreak Rules using a team’s own results
Tiebreak Rules using the Results of Opponents
Tiebreak Rules using Ratings
Playoff

Now nowhere in c.06.11 does it mention sum of opponents ratings.

The use of average of opponents ratings is mentioned and is part of "Tiebreak Rules using Ratings".
Sum of progressive scores is mentioned in "Tiebreak Rules using the Player’s own results".

In the quoted part above where it says "Individual Swiss Systems (all players have consistent ratings):" it means all players in the event must have consistent ratings".

Since all players in the event are not FIDE rated then the section "Individual Swiss Systems (where not all the ratings are consistent)" should be used.

In that case the standard is sum of progressive scores.

In fact in previous Oceania Zonals it had always been stated that the tiebreak was sum of progressive scores.

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2007, 05:23 PM
It's odd that the rest of the players are not ranked the same way (e.g the FM candidates)..Extremely.

In fact the method of tie break must be consistent for all parts of the event.

Given sum of opponents ratings cannot be used for players who have played non FIDE rated players then it cannot be used for determing the IM title

Sum of progressive scores should be used.

Bereaved
12-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Hello, everyone,

Firstly congratulations to the title winners.......secondly, has it been confirmed who are the title winners?

There seems to be some doubt as to who has received the IM title in the open section; can anyone confirm whether Puchen Wang or Igor Goldenberg is the recipient. Additionally, are the two players, James Morris and Gene Nakauchi both confirmed as the recipients of the FM titles.

On a happier, less uncertain note, Well Done WIM Alex Jule, a solid performance for second, and congratulations!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

As I had said Congratulations to all the title winners; I am very much wanting to confirm the certainty of James Morris' award of title most of all, as I am friends with him and his family, who I hope have all had a good time.

Finally, I hope that you enjoyed playing India, given being asked to do so at the last moment, I think it was wonderful of you to play to help the tournament continue successfully.

Candy-Cane
13-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Who got the WFM titles?

Kevin Bonham
13-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Nearly all discussion about whether or not Zonal titles are soft has taken a walk over here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=3707).

MichaelBaron
13-05-2007, 07:07 PM
I note that on the standings list on the website they are ranking them in the order of sum of opponents ratings less the lowest rated opponent.

Place Name Feder Rtg Loc Title Score Rtg Sum Progr.

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan AUS 2476 im 7 18596 36.0
2-4 Wang, Puchen NZL 2322 fm 6.5 18642 35.5
Goldenberg, Igor AUS 2388 fm 6.5 18570 36.0
Smith, Robert NZL 2294 fm 6.5 18535 31.5

this is confusing....Igor's Buhg. is higher (36 vs. 35)

Bill Gletsos
13-05-2007, 07:27 PM
this is confusing....Igor's Buhg. is higher (36 vs. 35)If you had been following the thread it wouldnt have been as this was expalined in the thread. ;)

Firstly the 36 V 35.5 is the sum of progressive scores not their Buchholz.

As noted in the post you quoted the standings are not in progressive order but are in the order of sum of opponents ratings less the lowest opponents rating.

Given it is listed before the progressive it is the primary tiebreak shown.

On the basis of sum of opponents ratings less the lowest opponents rating Puchen is ranked higher than Igor.

alexmdc
13-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Winner of the game gets FM!!!

Hehe, yeah I was going to sneak up and grab the FM title from behind :P I had such a won game, just had to avoid perpetual check... but then I played the dumbest move on the board and that was it, bye bye FM!

Metro
13-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Hello, everyone,

Firstly congratulations to the title winners.......secondly, has it been confirmed who are the title winners?

When will titles be confirmed?

Bill Gletsos
13-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Apparently Max Illingworth and Alex Mendes da Costa both qualify for the CM title and Imelda Flores and Shirley Wu get the WCM title.

Igor_Goldenberg
13-05-2007, 10:01 PM
The tie-break system (for the title) was announced after round 4 or 5 as following:

Sum of opponents rating (no mentioning of discarding the lowest rating) is used. If one of the players played non-FIDE rated opponent then sum of progressive score is used. Therefore, Puchen Wang got the IM title.

pax
13-05-2007, 10:11 PM
The tie-break system (for the title) was announced after round 4 or 5 as following:

Sum of opponents rating (no mentioning of discarding the lowest rating) is used. If one of the players played non-FIDE rated opponent then sum of progressive score is used. Therefore, Puchen Wang got the IM title.

Congrats on a great performance, Igor. I have no doubt that you will soon achieve the IM title the old-fashioned way.

Bill Gletsos
13-05-2007, 10:27 PM
A list of valid tie-break systems for FIDE tournaments is listed in the FIDE Handbook at http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=C0611

Sum of opponents ratings (including or discarding the lowest) is not one of them.

Bill Gletsos
13-05-2007, 10:32 PM

Sum of opponents rating (no mentioning of discarding the lowest rating) is used. If one of the players played non-FIDE rated opponent then sum of progressive score is used. Therefore, Puchen Wang got the IM title.My reading of the regulations would indicate that method is only valid if there had been a tie in determining who was eligible to play in the next section of the championship cycle and has no bearing on determining who wins the IM or FM titles. Since Zhao won outright then that isnt an issue.

See post http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=153577&postcount=144 for more details.

Metro
13-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Congrats on a great performance, Igor. I have no doubt that you will soon achieve the IM title the old-fashioned way.

Congratulations to Zhao,Igor Goldenberg and other successful players....:P :P :P

Igor_Goldenberg
14-05-2007, 10:25 AM
I would like to thank forum dwellers for support, encouragement and congratulations.

My overall impression of the tournament is very good. The venue was excellent (despite a couple of minor distractions), the tournament itself organised on a very high level. Virgilio de Asa did a lot to make it a smooth event and deserves a lot of credit for that.

10 out 30 players had a rating higher then 2270, which made it a strong event. Small number of players and a distance of 9 round ensured that most of the top players played each other.

Watto
14-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I would like to thank forum dwellers for support, encouragement and congratulations.

My overall impression of the tournament is very good. The venue was excellent (despite a couple of minor distractions), the tournament itself organised on a very high level. Virgilio de Asa did a lot to make it a smooth event and deserves a lot of credit for that.

10 out 30 players had a rating higher then 2270, which made it a strong event. Small number of players and a distance of 9 round ensured that most of the top players played each other.
Congratulations on another good tournament, Igor. :) You certainly had our support- we were hoping you’d get the title. You did get a norm I hope as pax has suggested?

p.s. a small congrats to India Morris for taking on all those seasoned tournament players… :clap:

bobby1972
14-05-2007, 01:36 PM
well done Igor ,how did you maintain and i think improve over the 8 years you were away, some players seem to maintain form over a long break, did you have this type of results before your long brake,baron is onother player who maintains form over long periods.i always dip below 2000 after say a year or longer off.

Igor_Goldenberg
14-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Congratulations on another good tournament, Igor. :) You certainly had our support- we were hoping you’d get the title. You did get a norm I hope as pax has suggested?

Thanks. It's even counted as a 20 games norm.

Igor_Goldenberg
14-05-2007, 02:02 PM
well done Igor ,how did you maintain and i think improve over the 8 years you were away, some players seem to maintain form over a long break, did you have this type of results before your long brake,baron is onother player who maintains form over long periods.i always dip below 2000 after say a year or longer off.

Before the break I played at 2300 level. I cannot reasonably explain this improvement, as I do not spot tactics as well as I used to. I've been studying chess over the last year, but it would not be enough to compencate adverse effect of age and long break.

Capablanca-Fan
14-05-2007, 02:04 PM
A list of valid tie-break systems for FIDE tournaments is listed in the FIDE Handbook at http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=C0611

Sum of opponents ratings (including or discarding the lowest) is not one of them.

Does this mean that IG has grounds for appeal, because surely a FIDE event like a Zonal should use only FIDE-approved tie-breaking systems. From what you've documented, sum progressive scores is the precedent (I'm not sure why a greater sum is more meritorious though).

Phil Bourke
14-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Congrats Igor and Alex, and all other forum inhabitants that did well in the Zonal. Great to hear that it was a good tournament. It was intriguing to watch the developments over the latter rounds.

ER
14-05-2007, 03:47 PM

To his credit, Bobby1972 had commended on Igor's ability to perform well after long periods of time in a private discussion when IG had just returned to Chess ... Bobby's opinion in Chess related matters is accurate and should be appreciated and respected!
Cheers and good luck!

Garrett
16-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Seems like the next zonal could be on the Gold Coast which would be fantastic.

From Gardiner Chess website :-

"At the closing ceremony the Oceanic Zone President Gary Bekker announced that, subject to receiving satisfactory details, the 2009 Oceanic Zonal would be organised on the Gold Coast by Graeme and Wendy Gardiner. It will be very hard to beat this wonderful venue and such a well-organised event in Fiji, but of course we'll do our best."

This will be cool.

Cheers
George.

MichaelBaron
16-05-2007, 10:21 AM

"At the closing ceremony the Oceanic Zone President Gary Bekker announced that, subject to receiving satisfactory details, the 2009 Oceanic Zonal would be organised on the Gold Coast by Graeme and Wendy Gardiner. It will be very hard to beat this wonderful venue and such a well-organised event in Fiji, but of course we'll do our best."

This will be cool.

Cheers
George.

Sigh...when will the Zonal finally come to Melbourne?:(

The good news though is that Gardiner will surely make it a memorable event!

Garvinator
16-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Sigh...when will the Zonal finally come to Melbourne?:(When someone or a group of people in Melbourne want to run it.

Mischa
20-05-2007, 01:31 AM
I just popped in to say Hi.
We are 24 hours home from Fiji and wishing we were still there!
The tournament venue was luxurious for those of us not playing chess..:) and the weather just about perfect!
I have never been to a chess tournament that I have enjoyed more...not hard I suppose...:) The champagne was free with breakfast!!!!!!
I have also rarely been to a tournament that was so wonderfully organised and much applause should be given to Dr Vigilio de Asa for his dedication to ensuring the smooth running of the tounament and the comfort of the players. Many situations were beyond his control but the general good humour and comradeship amongst most of the players meant that they just "got on with the game".
I particularly liked his daily contribution (from his own pocket) of Tim Tams :)
I have nothing but praise for the players in this tournament...it was quite honestly the most friendly, relaxed, supportive, and yet competitive tournament I have been a part of.
I have avoided reading any negative comments re the tournament or titles (I am told there are few..:)) but I will just relate to you what I heard from the Fijians...they were thrilled to have juniors win titles as they hoped that this will encourage their own juniors to try harder and to better appreciate the game of chess. Vigilio made sure that the juniors appeared not only in the local papers but also in the TV news broadcasts. There was tremendous interest in India and James being siblings and India being the youngest player.
The owners of a radio network in the states were informed by the local community of their participation and are looking at following junior chess in the Oceania region!...all because two young boys worked hard and tried their best and played well. (The first hurdle for james was getting him out of the swimming pool and reminding him that it was not just a holiday in a luxury resort!)
I know she is my daughter, but I have nothing but huge pride for India! Knowing she would lose every game and knowing that it was effectively a week out of her holiday (her dad and her had plans) she played the best she could none the less. For those who don't know her...India does not play chess! She managed to last an hour and a half against one player..and fought off a check mate (much to her surprise). Unfortunately she is now interested in continuing her chess (AHHHHHHHHHHHHH)
It was bad luck that max missed out on a title when he was so close but I understand that he is being encouraged to appeal..I wish him the best with this.
I wish to say thank you to all the teenagers who brightened the tournament...who were supportive of the juniors (in particular India)...and who took them off my hands many times!
To Alex Jule...thank you...and for the gift for India from her...thank you too.
To Smurf...and Sue..thank you for the most precious of mother's day presents!!!
To Gary Becker...so glad your attempt to drown my kids wasn't successful..:)
To those who didn't make it this year, friendships were forged, and friendships deepened and these will last, chess and titles not withstanding.

Rowena

Metro
20-05-2007, 02:02 AM
Unfortunately she is now interested in continuing her chess (AHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

Rowena

You poor woman!Should have left her at home!

Mischa
20-05-2007, 02:04 AM
Just when I thought it was safe....:)

ElevatorEscapee
20-05-2007, 03:06 AM
Terrific post Mischa! :)

Sam
20-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Conratulations to James.:)
Ignore the grumpy old men.
And good luck to James in the Victorian Open.:clap:

Mischa
20-05-2007, 08:46 PM
thankyou.......

Capablanca-Fan
24-05-2007, 05:54 AM

This will be cool.

Cheers
George.

Hard to beat the Gardiners when it comes to organizing chess events.