PDA

View Full Version : psychobabble of modern chess coaching

qpawn
05-10-2006, 01:55 PM
What is all this modern chess coaching claptrap?

"Quick sight of the board?" Have I got it? No. Will I ever gain anything that approximates it? No. Do I need it to play good correspondence chess? No!

"Chess Memory". Have I got it? No. Will I ever attain anything taht approximates it? No. Do I need it to play good correspondence chess? No!

You see, all this "modern coaching stuff" about quick sight of teh board and chess memory. I have new s for you folks. It is all crap. Man, I struggle to remember my correspondence games and I spend a lot of time on them. But do I remember teh ideas involved? Yes, for a long time! The last decade of chess coaching has been an over-empiricised crock. It has been largely influenced by variation driven chess computer mania. I don't need a photographic bloody chess memory; I have my chess ideas and understandings and that's what matters.

:evil:

Kevin Bonham
05-10-2006, 02:12 PM
You seem to be missing the point that techniques not required for playing good CC may be extremely useful in playing well OTB, and that being able to play well OTB is the main reason many players seek out coaching.

EGOR
05-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Are we angry about something?:hmm:

qpawn
05-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Egor sensed great anger within qpawn.
Egor with geat insight and sagacity was correct
It is the [stigmatisation-mod] of some chessplayers
who without quick sight of the board
are to chess what heavy metal is to John Mayer
There's that chess player who can't see the right move in 1 second!
They are hence
[deleted-mod]
beginner
patzer
no hoper