PDA

View Full Version : Who would you now like to win the between Topalov & Kramnik

Bill Gletsos
02-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Given what has happened who would you now like to see win the match?

I decided to offer more options and make it public.

Garvinator
02-10-2006, 03:04 PM
I would like one more option :) I originally wanted Kramnik but think the match should be abandoned.

Kevin Bonham
02-10-2006, 03:23 PM
My vote comes with a footnote: that although I have been barracking for Kramnik all along, if he quits the match I may still consider Topalov to be World Champion by default.

Basil
02-10-2006, 03:37 PM
And I didn't care in the first place :)

WhiteElephant
02-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Ummm....there is no option for me which is I originally wanted Topalov to win but now I'm not sure. My heart is probably still with Topalov though I think his/ his team's behaviour was worse than Kramnik's.

Denis_Jessop
02-10-2006, 08:09 PM
There are also two other quite reasonable options that are not in the list, namely

1. I originally had no firm preference but now want Kramnik.

2. ditto re Topalov.

DJ

arosar
02-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Abandon the concept of a World Champion completely or at least do away with this archaic practice of 1-on-1 matches.

AR

eclectic
02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Abandon the concept of a World Champion completely or at least do away with this archaic practice of 1-on-1 matches.

AR

Here's a stupid thought:

Abandon the idea of each combatant having an entourage of cronies and ACTUALLY make them play real 1 on 1 matches

WhiteElephant
02-10-2006, 08:30 PM
I am in favour of a World Champion. I like the idea of the chess world champ being the smartest person in the world. Good for marketing chess. Something for kids to aspire to. I even have no problem with one on one matches. Just need a professional body to run the World Championship so that prima donna world champs can't get away with thinking they are bigger than the sport.

Kevin Bonham
02-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Abandon the idea of each combatant having an entourage of cronies and ACTUALLY make them play real 1 on 1 matches

An excellent idea though I have no idea how you would enforce it, short of locking them in a castle or something.

Bill Gletsos
02-10-2006, 10:45 PM
There are also two other quite reasonable options that are not in the list, namely

1. I originally had no firm preference but now want Kramnik.

2. ditto re Topalov.Done.

ER
03-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Bring back Bobby and Anatoly! Let them fight it out and start from there! :)
I bet a match like that would be more interesting for the people and Chess would get a tremendous boost!'
Cheers and good luck!

ER
03-10-2006, 02:10 AM
I originally voted for Topalov though, and I don't want to change!
Cheers

MichaelBaron
03-10-2006, 02:43 AM
Go Topi!:owned:

Igor_Goldenberg
03-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I used to have sympathy for Topalov and liked his style. At the same time I did not have much respect for Kramnik and tended to agree with those saying that he lost the moral ground to claim world championship title.

However, Topalov and his team completely disgraced themselves and lost all my respect.

I never liked Karpov as a person but I completely agree (probably the first time in my life!) with his judgement of the situation http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3394

Desmond
03-10-2006, 02:39 PM
I never liked Karpov as a person but I completely agree (probably the first time in my life!) with his judgement of the situation http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3394
I have to disagree with yourself and Karpov there, since I think that Kramnik has gained far more from continuing with the match than he would have gained from walking away from it.

Garrett
03-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Kramnik can't lose now.

If he doesn't lose another game he wins the match and appears to be the goodest of good guys - perhaps a legend.

If he loses another game he can fall back on his statement - sort of to the effect that game 5 is not done and dusted yet - and sit on his hands until they either play game 5 or the match is abandoned.

Either way he can't lose.

Cheers
George.

Denis_Jessop
03-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Done.

Thanks Bill. Now I can vote - and have.

DJ

Desmond
03-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Where is your vote Bill?