PDA

View Full Version : To go, or not to go (Kramnik accused of cheating)

Carl Gorka
29-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Does anyone here also suffer from a weak bladder while playing chess?

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3370

How often do you have to go during a game?:D

ReelBigFish
29-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Is this your typical chessboard paronia, It isn't the first time a WC bout has resulted in such acusations. What are your trhoughts, could Kramnik really be cheating?

ReelBigFish
29-09-2006, 12:18 PM
The above comments are in relation to the press release published on chessbase news

Topalov threatens to abandon the World Championship Match
28.09.2006 Breaking news: Veselin Topalov, through his manager Silvio Danialov, has cast suspicion on the behaviour of Vladimir Kramnik, who is leading 3-1 in their world championship match. The Bulgarian team has examined the video recordings from the rest rooms and notes that Kramnik is visiting the bathroom, which has no video surveillance, unreasonably often. Press release.

Kevin Bonham
29-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Topalov himself has been the target of such accusations in the past, but not from Kramnik. In this case I will await further developments before commenting.

Vlad
29-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I have nothing against Topalov. He seems to be a reasonable guy. But people around him are really not very smart. Whatever the result of the match is gonna be the image of Topalov is damaged irreversibly.

I have read a Russian chat on www.chesspro.ru, where both people from Bulgarian and Russian camp commenting. Bulgarians seems to claim that it is not accusation of cheating but rather response to annoying behaviour of Kramnik. They claim that Kramnik’s camp designed a strategy where Kramnik goes to the loo as often as possible. By doing that he disturbs concentration of Topalov. Topalov is affected because he constantly thinks that Kramnik may be cheating.

Basil
29-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Does anyone here also suffer from a weak bladder while playing chess?

How often do you have to go during a game?:D

No (not yet!) but I used to be a slave to the sausages. Those little blighters cost me a few games. Up and down, up and down ....

On returning to the table, concentration stayed out the door!

All changed now. I play like a patzer for entirely different reasons:)

Kevin Bonham
29-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Bulgarians seems to claim that it is not accusation of cheating but rather response to annoying behaviour of Kramnik. They claim that Kramnik’s camp designed a strategy where Kramnik goes to the loo as often as possible. By doing that he disturbs concentration of Topalov. Topalov is affected because he constantly thinks that Kramnik may be cheating.

I was wondering the same sort of thing - whether it is a ploy to make Topalov paranoid.

I am surprised that Kramnik goes to the rest area so often for any reason because conventional wisdom is that too much change of scene between moves can be bad for concentration. But maybe at the top level people have ways around that issue.

harry
29-09-2006, 03:02 PM
no way should a player be allowed to go to the can more than once an hour without a medical certificate from another doctor . Kramnik is either a cheat or delberately distracting topa. :evil: GO TOPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WhiteElephant
29-09-2006, 03:03 PM
In my last tournament, I went to the toilet 4 times during one game (quite unusual for me) and on the 4th time, my opponent glared at me like I was doing something wrong. In my sebsequent game, I was very conscious whenever I had to go to the toilet. :)

I don't know if this is going to damage Topalov's reputation in the long term, but I suppose it depends on developments from here. Just another one of those quirky stories from those crazy chessplayers which may be picked up by the mainstream media.

Bereaved
29-09-2006, 03:18 PM
hello, everyone,

I was sure the topic of trips to the toilet had been discussed here before,

perhaps a re reading of this : http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=3809

may actually provide how the local perspective on this matter is considered

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Vlad
29-09-2006, 03:22 PM
I usually go to the loo about 5-10 times during a game. In critical moments I put some cold water on my face. It helps with my concentration.

I have couple experiences.

1) One of the negative memories about Brisbane was that there is no cold water there.:) Warm water does not give the same effect. At least this is how I explain my poor form in Brisbane to myself.:)
2) When I was playing Raymond Song in the Grade Matches 3 months ago I visited the loo a number of times. After the second time, I was followed by one of the members from his team.:) I suppose the reason for that was not only I was visiting the loo but also I got a crashing position from the start and never gave my opponent a single chance. The combination of these two facts made my behaviour very suspicious.:)

Denis_Jessop
29-09-2006, 05:38 PM
I was wondering the same sort of thing - whether it is a ploy to make Topalov paranoid.

I am surprised that Kramnik goes to the rest area so often for any reason because conventional wisdom is that too much change of scene between moves can be bad for concentration. But maybe at the top level people have ways around that issue.

Many players have no option - it's not a weak bladder, in fact it's often not the bladder at all! - and the cause is nerves.

Anyway what's happened to Topalov's parapsychologist? - he/she ought to be able to deal with this sort of thing. Or is it the parapsychologist who is responsible for Kramnik's behaviour? :hmm:

Did anyone ever say that chess player's are not paranoid? ;) :doh:

DJ

Kevin Bonham
29-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Appeal outcome http://www.fide.com/news.asp?id=1122

Desmond
29-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Have they started kicking under the table yet?

Garvinator
29-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Have they started kicking under the table yet?
Kramnik should order some yoghurt in this game ;)

Garvinator
29-09-2006, 09:19 PM
maybe Guert has accused Topa of ball tampering :doh:

Denis_Jessop
29-09-2006, 11:17 PM
maybe Guert has accused Topa of ball tampering :doh:

But no doubt the Appeals Committee would decide that it /they showed no more wear and tear than would be expected after 4 games of an 11 game match. They could still suspend Topalov for 4 games for bringing the game of chess into disrepute thus giving the 7 - 1 score mentioned in my post on the other thread. :wall: :rolleyes:

DJ

Rincewind
30-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Game 5 action...
http://www.worldchess2006.com/img/g5-014.jpg