PDA

View Full Version : FIDE Swiss Rules

Denis_Jessop
15-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Another (cf FIDE Time Controls) change approved by the FIDE Congress at Turin is mentioned in the approval of the report of the Swiss Pairings Committee as follows:

9. Swiss Pairings Committee.

Swiss Pairings Committee Chairman Christian Krause presented his report in Annex 52. He said that the program Forlano is the first Dubov for Windows. The decision is to discuss and to look at the accelerated Swiss system and to look at the fractional pairings system and to divide the tournament in more than 2 groups, which might give better results.

The manual changes were discussed and no changes will be allowed to original pairings. There were some documents regarding existing Swiss systems without tournaments attached, so it was requested to attach such tournaments as examples.

Mr. Gary Bekker criticised the system as too complicated and asked for better wording. He was requested to draft this by the Committee. After this is done, the final draft will be forwarded to Mr. Geurt Gijssen.

Dutch Swiss pairings – minor change of ranking of titleholders in case they have equal ranking points according to their titles. Another change – unplayed win is considered as down float for the next pairings.

Mr. Krause said that the answer to the question of Mr. De Ridder is about the Swiss pairings. There are tournaments for FIDE and there are opens in the lower sections, fun tournaments etc. The points in the lower groups maybe more for fun and not for ratings. But the pairings are not changed.

General Assembly approved the report of the Swiss Pairings Committee.

The second paragraph is interesting if a little cryptic. That regarding Dutch Swiss Pairings may have practical ramifications for us if wins on forfeit are to be regarded as downfloats. This would appear to foul up Swiss Perfect. Also, whereas wins on forfeit are fairly rare at higher levels they are rather common in club events.

The report of the Swiss Pairings Committee may shed more light on this but it isn't available yet (promised "soonest" by FIDE)

DJ

Garvinator
16-09-2006, 01:44 AM
The second paragraph is interesting if a little cryptic. That regarding Dutch Swiss Pairings may have practical ramifications for us if wins on forfeit are to be regarded as downfloats. This would appear to foul up Swiss Perfect. Also, whereas wins on forfeit are fairly rare at higher levels they are rather common in club events.
Surely it would foul up all programs written to use the dutch pairing programs?

Denis_Jessop
16-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Surely it would foul up all programs written to use the dutch pairing programs?

Yes; but the point is that the author of Swiss Perfect is not up-dating it whereas all the others no doubt will.

DJ

Brian_Jones
16-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Yes; but the point is that the author of Swiss Perfect is not up-dating it whereas all the others no doubt will.

DJ

Which is why Australia should now dump swissperfect.

It's had it day - now it is time for it to go.

I'm going to buy the Austrian program Swiss-manager this week.

At least this one is FIDE approved!

Garvinator
16-09-2006, 04:01 PM

swiss master 5 is half the price and I think works just as well. It is also fide approved and endorsed by Gijssen/Reuben.

Bill Gletsos
16-09-2006, 04:06 PM
swiss master 5 is half the price and I think works just as well. It is also fide approved and endorsed by Gijssen/Reuben.Actually it is a quarter of the price of swiss manager (50 euro : 199 euro).

Garvinator
16-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Actually it is a quarter of the price of swiss manager (50 euro : 199 euro).
well there you go, shows what happens when I didnt do any research;)
so now sm5 is an even better bargain:whistle:

pax
23-09-2006, 08:37 PM

How much would it cost for every arbiter to get a copy? How would people feel about this expenditure given the effort and expense of arranging a National SP license.

Brian_Jones
24-09-2006, 10:09 AM
How much would it cost for every arbiter to get a copy? How would people feel about this expenditure given the effort and expense of arranging a National SP license.

SP is free to non-profit organisations. This was negotiated by Graeme Gardiner some years ago.

But this is unsatisfactory if the program is not going to be maintained and/or developed.

So question 1 is "Should we replace SP?"

Question 2 is "What should we replace SP with".

In my view it should not necessarily be the cheapest program.

PS I have now purchased Swiss-Manager! (At a special price!)

Denis_Jessop
24-09-2006, 12:41 PM
SP is free to non-profit organisations. This was negotiated by Graeme Gardiner some years ago.

But this is unsatisfactory if the program is not going to be maintained and/or developed.

So question 1 is "Should we replace SP?"

Question 2 is "What should we replace SP with".

In my view it should not necessarily be the cheapest program.

PS I have now purchased Swiss-Manager! (At a special price!)

I should make it clear also that SP may be free to those organisations, eg chess clubs affiliated to State Associations, but the ACF pays $30 per organisation so it's not free in the sense that eventually the chess community bears the cost indirectly.

Whether we should investigate replacing SP is a matter I have asked be put on the agenda for the next Council meeting. The recent change in the Swiss Rules prompted this but is not the only reason for the inquiry. When we first adopted SP, neither Swiss Master in its current form nor Swiss Manager was available and the program is not going to be updated because of the develoment of League Watch, so it's time to review the scene anyway.

DJ.