PDA

View Full Version : Playchess.com or ICC???

billzfan
21-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I was thinking of subscribing to one of these chess sites and was wondering which is superior based on your experiences with them or by reputation. Thanks! :)

qpawn
21-08-2006, 12:15 PM
They both have their different uses.

ICC is better for improving your chess at all time limits. There is an endgame library, tournamnets are held at all times, lectures are put on etc.

Playchess is very limited in the tournamnets it holds. Its technology is very clunky and awkward. I only play there because I have got a year there for "free" after buying fritz 8. There are lessons, great games etc but they are hard to access and often drop out wasting your "ducats". The only thing that playchess does better than ICC is to provide more simuls and computer versus computer games.

Go for ICC. It is much better than playchess.

pax
21-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Try FICS and babaschess(interface):
http://www.freechess.org/
http://www.babaschess.net/

If you are mainly interested in playing chess (rather than lectures, watching GMs etc), then FICS offers a pretty equivalent service to ICC. And it doesn't cost you a penny.

Jesse Jager
21-08-2006, 01:47 PM
I find the icc interface considerably worse than playchess and chess.fm not nearly as useful as the media-centre in playchess.

How is icc better than playchess at competing at all time limits?

MichaelBaron
21-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Try FICS and babaschess(interface):
http://www.freechess.org/
http://www.babaschess.net/

If you are mainly interested in playing chess (rather than lectures, watching GMs etc), then FICS offers a pretty equivalent service to ICC. And it doesn't cost you a penny.

FICS is a great free solution to your chess needs...but it all depends on how good you are. 2000+ players should consider ICC or Playchess because FICS does not usually have many strong players to play

arosar
21-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I find the icc interface considerably worse than playchess and chess.fm not nearly as useful as the media-centre in playchess.

How is icc better than playchess at competing at all time limits?

Playchess does have the better interface. But I still prefer ICC for my regular fix. The general atmosphere is so much better. Plus the chatting functions are superior. And I rather prefer the line commands instead of relying almost exclusively on the mouse.

However, I've been trying out WCN over the last week on a regular basis. That's one of the benefits of being a blogger: you get these freebies! Gold membership no less. WCN is my third choice.

As for FICS, it's just boring.

AR

pax
21-08-2006, 03:09 PM
FICS is a great free solution to your chess needs...but it all depends on how good you are. 2000+ players should consider ICC or Playchess because FICS does not usually have many strong players to play

At some point, that is certainly true. Bear in mind though, that ICC ratings are grossly inflated compared to FICS. By more than 200 points, I would guess.

MichaelBaron
21-08-2006, 06:30 PM
At some point, that is certainly true. Bear in mind though, that ICC ratings are grossly inflated compared to FICS. By more than 200 points, I would guess.

I was referring to ACF 2000+ players..also I agree with Arosar that social atmosphere of ICC is something that both playchess and Fics in particular may lack...

anyway...whenver something (e.g FICS) is free its always worth trying:hmm:

NickB
29-08-2006, 04:17 AM
So far I've tried ICC, WCN, Playchess, FICS and USCF Chess Live. The only one I take seriously is ICC. Why? Well, lots of GMs and IMs are there all the time. I'll jump on FICS to play some blitz every now and then. However I've noticed FICS has a lot of cheaters. WCN seems dead most of the time, USCF Chess Live's interface is very nice but it's a bit US-centric and I've never seen many GMs there. Like others I got a free Playchess membership when I purchased Fritz 9. I wasn't very impressed, the documentation and interface is poor and I never got the hang of it.

I'm not much into the quality of the interface. With Blitzin I can get a decent-looking board that's comfortable to see. Sure, it could be slicker.

Just my two cents.

pax
29-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Curious as to why you think FICS is full of cheaters. What sort of cheating?

I must say I haven't noticed any significant cheating apart from a few disconnect abusers, who usually get what's coming to them.

NickB
30-08-2006, 04:34 AM
It happens in waves. I used to play longer time controls there and I noticed abusers from time to time. To be fair FICS does try to police them. The cheaters eventually get bored on move on.

The nod still goes to ICC, they are much more aggressive with cheaters and you must stipulate that you will not use a chess computer during play when you sign up.

Yes, I still drop in on FICS from time to time.

Alana
15-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Is there any FREE interfaces for any type of server that WORK and that you DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR?! It's driving me nuts! :(

Alana
15-09-2006, 02:06 PM
So far I've tried ICC, WCN, Playchess, FICS and USCF Chess Live. The only one I take seriously is ICC. Why? Well, lots of GMs and IMs are there all the time. I'll jump on FICS to play some blitz every now and then. However I've noticed FICS has a lot of cheaters. WCN seems dead most of the time, USCF Chess Live's interface is very nice but it's a bit US-centric and I've never seen many GMs there. Like others I got a free Playchess membership when I purchased Fritz 9. I wasn't very impressed, the documentation and interface is poor and I never got the hang of it.

I'm not much into the quality of the interface. With Blitzin I can get a decent-looking board that's comfortable to see. Sure, it could be slicker.

Just my two cents.

FICS doesn't seem to work for me. I've tried downloading the various interfaces, but only the BabasChess lets me open it, but wont even let me log on! I have tried making new accounts, but it still doesn't seem to help!

Anyone have any suggestions about what I should do?

Desmond
15-09-2006, 02:20 PM
FICS doesn't seem to work for me. I've tried downloading the various interfaces, but only the BabasChess lets me open it, but wont even let me log on! I have tried making new accounts, but it still doesn't seem to help!

What email address are you using to set up the account? From memory, it needs to be a verifiable address such as Bigpond, Optus etc, and will not accept freely available ones like hotmail etc.

pax
15-09-2006, 03:15 PM

Really?

Did you try connecting through Jin from the web page? You can click a button to log on as a guest.
http://www.freechess.org/Login/jin/applet.php?oldjava=0

Registration is here:
http://www.freechess.org/Register/index.html

You need to verify your email address before you get an account.

Of the downloadable interfaces, Babas is probably the best, but it takes some configuring to make it look decent. You may find that you have a problem connecting through port 5000. If you are unable to login, try port 23 (telnet port) instead - that should work.

Chessbum
20-09-2006, 03:17 AM
Never have problem finding strong players there.

littlesprout85
13-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Sprouty right now plays on Playchess. Works very well so far. and is free for guest.(playing sprout while he is gagged is alot faster than with chat) :D

www.playchess.com rocks and gets to branches ^ from da sprout.
-Sprout :)