PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Position

Rincewind
20-08-2006, 10:09 PM
I was looking at the S.A. Chess Association website and was greeted with the following bizarre position. Any comments or analysis?

Desmond
20-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Appears to be an illegal position. For white to get the doubled pawns like that he must have made 2 captures. At least 15 black pieces are visible, therefore illegal position.

Other that that... "check".

antichrist
22-08-2006, 02:54 PM
http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=117746#post117746

Denis_Jessop
22-08-2006, 09:17 PM
I was looking at the S.A. Chess Association website and was greeted with the following bizarre position. Any comments or analysis?

There doesn't seem to be a clue on the SACA website so my theory is that this is a position from an u10 primary schools teams championship in which the concept of an illegal position doesn't exist.

The answer then is that W (to play) plays Nxe5 dbl ch!! attacking the B K and defending his or her own K. If B plays PxN W plays R x K as Rooks can move diagonally at this level. B then plays Q x K =!! (see the following variation) If B plays Q x K, W plays N x K =!! (it must be a draw as there are no Kings left). If you think this sounds absurd, you haven't seen an u10 schools teams event - just ask Kevin!

DJ