PDA

View Full Version : Topalov v Kramnik poll

Garvinator
18-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Match is 12 classical chess games, then if tied, 4 rapid playoff games, then if still tied- blitz and finally if still tied armageddon blitz.

Garvinator
03-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Thought I would give the poll a nudge.

Carl Gorka
04-09-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm voting with my heart rather than my head:)

Kevin Bonham
04-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm voting with my heart rather than my head:)

I'm voting for the same player as you but with my head rather than my heart! :D

(A common tactic of mine. It means I inevitably get to be either right or happy!)

I sense that FIDE's favour towards Topalov as "their" champion is going to make him a bit like the "home" player and make things a bit psychologically easier for him. I also think that the view that Kramnik should be the better match player is not rationally founded - his match record over the years has been variable while Topalov is an unknown quantity in a long(ish) match of this nature and importance.

I find both players likeable and deserving but would sentimentally prefer Kramnik to win.

I predict match tied 6-6 and Topalov wins rapid tiebreak.

Rhubarb
04-09-2006, 09:18 PM
When Kramnik beat Kasparov in that match, he was the pinnacle of solidity; he effectively shut down the brilliance of Fathead, and showed he could hack it head-to-head.

I predict the same again. After the Olympiad and Dortmund, and the extra strength from recovering from illness, I reckon the Big K has been building up to this match.

Since GK's retirement, Topalov has been by far the premier tournament and outright player in the world. But, nevertheless, Kramnik to shut him down in a match (although I must say I prefer Topa's playing style).

Kramnik 7 - Topalov 5

Vlad
05-09-2006, 08:28 AM
When Kramnik beat Kasparov in that match, he was the pinnacle of solidity; he effectively shut down the brilliance of Fathead, and showed he could hack it head-to-head.

I predict the same again. After the Olympiad and Dortmund, and the extra strength from recovering from illness, I reckon the Big K has been building up to this match.

Since GK's retirement, Topalov has been by far the premier tournament and outright player in the world. But, nevertheless, Kramnik to shut him down in a match (although I must say I prefer Topa's playing style).

Kramnik 7 - Topalov 5

Is it what they call diversification - say `A', but vote for `B'? :doh:

Rhubarb
06-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Is it what they call diversification - say `A', but vote for `B'? :doh:Yes, I can't lose with this strategy!

Garvinator
12-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Weather conditions are mild for the whole period of the Match. The first week of teams` staying in Elista will be very warm and sunny. The temperature will vary between +15 to +25 degrees above Zero.- From the fide website promoting the match.

You know they dont get plus 30 degree days in Elista when they refer to +25 as very warm ;)

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2006, 01:32 PM

My view of this is that a small portion of Kasparov's dominance over others of his era was psychological intimidation and Kramnik happened to be the one leading (non-silicon) player who was cool enough not to get fazed by him.

That is how I account for Kramnik wiping out Gazza but then struggling to hold his own against Leko and failing to singly dominate the tournament scene since winning the title.

dkTransform
18-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Discussion on length of match here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=4928):

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=4928

It used to be that in the old days, much longer matches took place. With twelve games for this unification match, who is kidding whom? We are going to have a world chess champion after just twelve games? Or settle it with tie breaks in rapids? Super size it or drive up fast food window? What has become of classic chess?

Think of Karpov-Kasparov, Capablanca-Alekhine, Bottvinnik-Tal? How long were many of our top matches? We all already know the answer to that. What does this say about us?

Is this a practical adaption to a results hungary world, or have we all just gotten soft and this is but of a reflection of our own selves?

Ian Rout
21-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but after extensive research (try finding a time converter that has heard of Elista) I discovered that this is one of the few chess events, or international sporting events of any description, that doesn't happen when Australia is asleep. The games appear to start at 9pm AEST.

Desmond
21-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but after extensive research (try finding a time converter that has heard of Elista) I discovered that this is one of the few chess events, or international sporting events of any description, that doesn't happen when Australia is asleep. The games appear to start at 9pm AEST.
:clap: Bonza!

Watto
21-09-2006, 09:46 AM
That's great, I didn't know that. Thanks Ian.

Garvinator
21-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Hello Ian,

Post 32 of this thread ;) http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=4075&page=3

Garvinator
21-09-2006, 11:04 AM
That's great, I didn't know that. Thanks Ian. Also pleased because I've just realised the Auckland games start 4 pm Melbourne time. So lots of chess to follow.
Hello Watto, games start in nz at 2pm their time, wouldnt that be 12pm our time?

Watto
21-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Hello Watto, games start in nz at 2pm their time, wouldnt that be 12pm our time?
AAARRRGGHHHH!!!

you're right, idiot me, what a shame. :(

Ian Rout
21-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Hello Ian,

Post 32 of this thread ;) http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=4075&page=3
Thanks Garvin, that would have saved me a bit of exertion.

We have almost as many threads on the match as there are games in it.

Kevin Bonham
21-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Since the purpose of this one is simply discussing who people think will win (and creating it as a new thread was the easiest way to do a poll) I propose locking this one as soon as the first pawn (or knight :D ) is set in motion.

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Although I'd like to see Topalov win, I believe that Kramnik will emerge the winner.

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2006, 08:59 PM
First game is scheduled for 23rd Sept.
The poll had closed but I have re-opened the poll until then.