PDA

View Full Version : Training position series

Kerry Stead
16-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Position 1
8/pp4pp/2p1kp2/b7/2nP4/3K3P/PP3PP1/2B1N3 w - - 0 35
White to Play

The first in a series of related positions.
In order to make it as much like a real game as possible, the instructions are simply 'white to play' rather than white to play and win/draw/etc, as you don't have someone that taps you on the shoulder when you have a good move, or a place where you can write notes as you go play your game, so all tactics, plans, ideas, etc have to be kept in your head.

What you should do in the above position (and following positions) is to give a general assessment of the position - what are the positives and negatives for each side in the position, and who you think is better. Also then look to give at least one variation, in this case (being white to play) that will give white the best possible resulting position.

I'll post up answers in about a week, which should be enough time to allow some people to have a go at the positions and trying to come up with some analysis and assessments for the positions.

Position 2
8/pp4pp/2p1kp2/b1P5/2nK4/7P/PP3PP1/2B1N3 w - - 0 35
White to Play

Position 3
8/pp4pp/2p1kp2/b1P5/P1nK4/7P/1P3PP1/2B1N3 w - - 0 35
White to Play

Good luck with them!

JGB
16-03-2004, 05:54 PM
These are a great Idea and just what we need here! :clap:

Alan Shore
17-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Nice puzzles.. Got the first one in 2 seconds, second one in about 15 seconds after checking calculations, third one took at least a couple of mins though, trickier :)

Kerry Stead
17-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Nice puzzles.. Got the first one in 2 seconds, second one in about 15 seconds after checking calculations, third one took at least a couple of mins though, trickier :)

And your answers are ... ??

skip to my lou
17-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Bruce, post it and then delete it, so that only Kerry can see the solution

Garvinator
17-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Bruce, post it and then delete it, so that only Kerry can see the solution
or send the answers to kerry via private message on here.

skip to my lou
17-03-2004, 02:52 PM
No... post and delete, so after the OFFICIAL answers are posted then just undelete everyones posts. PM will just make extra work for kerry.

Garvinator
17-03-2004, 02:55 PM
No... post and delete, so after the OFFICIAL answers are posted then just undelete everyones posts. PM will just make extra work for kerry.
ok if you say so

Alan Shore
17-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Ah ok, didn't want to give them away.. guess I could just also tell Kerry on MSN :p

Alan Shore
21-03-2004, 10:17 PM
OK, my hidden answers:

1. b4, Bxb4, Nc2 1-0

2. b4, Bxb4, Nd3 1-0

3. Still not sure about this.. perhaps Nd3, Nd2, then Nh4? I can't see any win for white here, I assume there is none (I hope..)

Kerry Stead
19-04-2004, 04:46 PM
OK, firstly some general observations about the position (position 1 that is):
If both knights are exchanged (1.Kxc4 Bxe1) then the position favours black slightly because of white's isolated d pawn and the fact that black's king can get to d5 and remain there indefinitely.
When looking for tactics, the fact that there are 2 pieces that are attacked should be a big clue as to the answer ... which Bruce Dickinson got right.

Position 1:
1.b4! Bxb4 2.Nc2! [and there is no way of defending both the knight and bishop]

Position 2:
Variation on a theme ... now the comments about white's isolated d pawn aren't quite so relevant.
1.b4! Bxb4 2.Nd3! [protecting the c1 bishop and winning] (not 2.Nc2? Bd2! and black keeps the extra pawn)

Position 3:
Same idea, but what is the difference between having a pawn on a2 and a4 ... control of the squares b3 and b5 ... is there a point?
1.b4? Bxb4 2.Nd3 Nd2! [The point of the changed position] 3.Nxb4 [Leaving the c1 bishop unprotected] 3... Nb3+! 4.Kc3 [or anywhere else] 4... Nxc1! [leaves black a pawn to the good. The knight can't be trapped, even though it looks like it might be a possibility]

Lets hope you learnt something ... and next time, can more than 1 person put answers up!

Feldgrau
19-04-2004, 05:30 PM
First position reminds me of Lasker-Euwe somewhat, though I like the effort someone has put in to modify the idea for the second and third puzzles. Is that an original effort from yourself?

I must admit the third one caught me, too lazy to find the nice trick black has with the knight fork.

Kerry Stead
19-04-2004, 06:01 PM
First position reminds me of Lasker-Euwe somewhat, though I like the effort someone has put in to modify the idea for the second and third puzzles. Is that an original effort from yourself?

I must admit the third one caught me, too lazy to find the nice trick black has with the knight fork.

It reminds you of Lasker-Euwe for a reason ... it IS Lasker-Euwe
Effort from myself? You must have me confused with someone else.
The position (and modifications) are from John Littlewood's book 'Chess Coaching' ... a good book that I have got plenty of use out of.

Alan Shore
19-04-2004, 07:51 PM
It reminds you of Lasker-Euwe for a reason ... it IS Lasker-Euwe
Effort from myself? You must have me confused with someone else.
The position (and modifications) are from John Littlewood's book 'Chess Coaching' ... a good book that I have got plenty of use out of.

Lasker!! :)

IMJP
22-02-2006, 08:45 PM
I like the FEN viewer very much! Is it free to use on personal websites? Any link? Thank you in advance for any reply.