PDA

View Full Version : What Have You Given Up For Chess?

bobby1972
08-08-2006, 11:56 AM
this list will be very very sad for some ,and very very incredible to others he he:P

qpawn
08-08-2006, 02:41 PM
The moon crosses the orbit of Neptune occidentally in Boxer rebellions. Quickly she ran to the nuns habit and chimed like cloister bells. Where was her hero? Costello.

My sanity. I gave that up for chess a long time ago. Muhhahahaha.

:evil:

MichaelBaron
08-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Lots of Sacrifices in the past (not that many these days I guess).....

I can recall going to Ballarat 10 years ago or so instead of a weekend of "nice conversations" with a beautiful chinese girl while her boyfriend was away on an overseas trip...:(

Today, I would not repeat the same mistake:hmm:

Other sacrifices include: Postponing my own birthday party, skipping work etc.

Igor_Goldenberg
08-08-2006, 08:34 PM
I can recall going to Ballarat 10 years ago or so instead of a weekend of "nice conversations" with a beautiful chinese girl while her boyfriend was away on an overseas trip...:(

Does it still seem like a sacrifice to you?:D

Basil
15-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I confess to being in the online chess "zombie zone" more times than I care remember. Thinking in the hundreds ...

Hmmm ... I think I have broken the addiction. Have been free for at least a year.

Kevin Bonham
16-08-2006, 05:49 PM
I sometimes get clashes between chess tournaments and interesting field trips I could go on, most of them organised by a statewide network of field naturalist (not naturist, Virginia) clubs. In most cases I will choose the chess tournament (since there are fewer of them) but in one recent case I chose the field trip instead.

MichaelBaron
16-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I sometimes get clashes between chess tournaments and interesting field trips I could go on, most of them organised by a statewide network of field naturalist (not naturist, Virginia) clubs. In most cases I will choose the chess tournament (since there are fewer of them) but in one recent case I chose the field trip instead.

They should make these trips naturist as well as naturalist. It could be instrumental in increasing the number of attendees:whistle:

Axiom
16-08-2006, 10:52 PM
i gave up being a conditioned ,brainwashed,programmed,manipulated,controlled,sla ve, for CHESS! :cool:

antichrist
18-08-2006, 02:26 PM
They should make these trips naturist as well as naturalist. It could be instrumental in increasing the number of attendees:whistle:

Could the same be said for chess?

antichrist
18-08-2006, 02:27 PM
It took me 17 years to defeat a friend champion - my only ambition. Retired for 5 years.

antichrist
18-08-2006, 02:28 PM
On the reverse side has anyone taken it up for ulterior motives - to meet Arianne or something.

MichaelBaron
18-08-2006, 05:49 PM
On the reverse side has anyone taken it up for ulterior motives - to meet Arianne or something.

I have played her before...She is just another chessplayer:whistle:

MichaelBaron
18-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Could the same be said for chess?

Given the state of bodies of most chessplayers (overweight, beer-tummies etc.) the site of naturist chess tournament could be scary:doh:

antichrist
18-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I made a point of playing chess on my wedding night at the reception - can anyone beat that.

And decades we still love each other!

AlexDavies
19-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I made a point of playing chess on my wedding night at the reception - can anyone beat that.

On my wedding day, I played about eight 5-minute games against my best man, Jim Ferguson. I won half the games on the board, and the other half I won on time from lost positions. Nice guy, that Jim. (Actually, at the time, Jim was one of the few players of my strength I knew who was even weaker than me at blitz, so I can't be sure that he threw the games). Jim's chess pinnacle was 7.5/10 in the 1996 Canadian Open, including a last-round draw against GM Yudasin: http://www.chess.ca/xtable.asp?TNum=199607066.

antichrist
19-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Glad to see that I am not alone - and you have the shot to prove it. We should have our priorities correct.

hitman84
31-08-2006, 05:33 PM
This is a funny thread,

I gave up...

1.studying chess books as this helped lower rated players to beat me and increase thier rating,

2.playing in tourneys- I always used to end up as the last odd entry in a tourney and someone had to shell out thier money to make it even,

3.posting on chesschat I'm just here to remind you that I used to post here,

4.analysing my games with fritz - I used to sit before the computer 24hrs a day analysing my games with fritz using up a lot of electricity, now local tourneys have better lighting facilities.

I gave up all these for the sake of chess!
I'll be contesting in the next FIDE elections as a presidential candidate.

I know I'm dumb :)

ElevatorEscapee
01-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Welcome back Hitman, you have my full support! :D

(And please don't let the threat of Silly Gregory pretending to 'expose' you discourage you from posting the sort of stuff about chess that you used to post!) :D

hitman84
02-09-2006, 06:05 AM
Welcome back Hitman, you have my full support! :D

(And please don't let the threat of Silly Gregory pretending to 'expose' you discourage you from posting the sort of stuff about chess that you used to post!) :D

Yo howdy doin mate ? No hard feelings..
Thanks for the support and the welcome :D

Cheers!