PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Chess Centre

Garvinator
21-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Wouldnt it be great if Australia had something like this. Unfortunately, once our geography makes it difficult ;)

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3242

WhiteElephant
21-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Wouldnt it be great if Australia had something like this. Unfortunately, once our geography makes it difficult ;)

Yeah. looks like a great place. Chess is ingrained in Turkish culture, we are still working on it.

MichaelBaron
21-07-2006, 05:44 PM

Australia also has a chesscenter that is open 7 days a week 24 hours a day..thats melbourne chess club...there is no reason why it can not be transformed into something similar.

Of course we will never make chess that popular unless the chess management affairs will be managed by business professionals (thats how turkish chess is being managed) rather than a handful of volonteers. The amount of sponsorship turkish chess recieves is a direct result of professonal management and marketing strategies.

Mischa
21-07-2006, 08:24 PM
but no where to park...:(

Brian_Jones
22-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Of course we will never make chess that popular unless the chess management affairs will be managed by business professionals (thats how turkish chess is being managed) rather than a handful of volonteers. The amount of sponsorship turkish chess recieves is a direct result of professonal management and marketing strategies.

Probably the most sensible thing I have read on this BB for ages.

A distinct improvement on all the CAQ in-fighting.

Basil
22-07-2006, 02:20 PM
A distinct improvement on all the CAQ in-fighting.
Which in-fighting is that Brian? Just one example will do. But if you provide a synopsis of ALL the infighting, that would be great.

Thanks,
Howard

I think you spend too much time reading the tabloids and trash journalists.

Brian_Jones
22-07-2006, 02:31 PM
But if you provide a synopsis of ALL the infighting, that would be great.

Nice play on words Howard. What do you think about the phrase "differences of opinion"?

I wish I had $10 of chess sponsorship for each stupid post on this BB.
Then perhaps the chess community could move forward together.

Coming back to the subject of this thread, where did you say the Queensand Chess Centre would be built?

Basil
22-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Nice play on words Howard. What do you think about the phrase "differences of opinion"?

I wish I had $10 of chess sponsorship for each stupid post on this BB.
Then perhaps the chess community could move forward together.

Coming back to the subject of this thread, where did you say the Queensand Chess Centre would be built?

What? You took this off topic by referring to CAQ infighting!
I ask for the infighting details, and you say its a play on words!

Differences of opinion are fine. If that's what you meant, why not say it in the first place?

Brian_Jones
22-07-2006, 04:37 PM

A distinct improvement on all the differences in opinion shown by CAQ members and officials (as expressed on this BB). What a waste of energy and human resources shown by Howard Duggan, Arrogant-One and their respective supporters! I bet the Turkish chess players and administrators worked harder and pulled together better to get their chess centre!

bergil
22-07-2006, 04:40 PM

A distinct improvement on all the differences in opinion shown by CAQ members and officials (as expressed on this BB). What a waste of energy and human resources shown by Howard Duggan, Arrogant-One and their respective suppoprters! I bet the Turkish chess players and administrators worked harder and pulled together to get their chess centre!
Or they had some compromising photos of politicians? :uhoh:

Basil
22-07-2006, 10:50 PM
A distinct improvement on all the differences in opinion shown by CAQ members and officials. I bet the Turkish chess players and administrators worked harder and pulled together better to get their chess centre!

Starting to lose some credibility ol' fella. That's the same dribble you sent last week to the entire ACF mailing list.

Moan moan moan ... moaning Brian.

four four two
23-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Starting to lose some credibility ol' fella.

Brian is the one who organised sponsorship for the grand prix...plenty of others could have,but didnt.
I would have thought that would have given him credibility.:whistle:

Brian_Jones
23-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Brian is the one who organised sponsorship for the grand prix...plenty of others could have,but didnt.

Thanks 442.

The "doers" always appear to be outnumbered by the "talkers" in Australian Chess! :confused:

Basil
23-07-2006, 02:50 PM

Thanks for you shallow input, Henry.

Certainly Brian deserves has credibility for some issues, but that doesn't give him credibility every time he opens his mouth.

You'll find he does a lot more moaning than praising.

Denis_Jessop
23-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Before everyone gets too carried away on the Turkish Chess Centre business, may I point out that the cost of purchase and fitting alone out of the Centre was 1.1million Euros, about $AUD 1.9 million.

If Brian's excellent suggestion were adopted and $10 per stupid post were paid to the ACF, rather than to him, the ACF would receive about $950,000 on the generous assumption that 10% of all posts on this forum are not stupid.

The chances of the ACF (or any other Australian chess body) getting $950,000, let alone $2million, from any other source are zero.:(

DJ

Rincewind
23-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Before everyone gets too carried away on the Turkish Chess Centre business, may I point out that the cost of purchase and fitting alone out of the Centre was 1.1million Euros, about $AUD 1.9 million.

If Brian's excellent suggestion were adopted and $10 per stupid post were paid to the ACF, rather than to him, the ACF would receive about $950,000 on the generous assumption that 10% of all posts on this forum are not stupid.

The chances of the ACF (or any other Australian chess body) getting $950,000, let alone $2million, from any other source are zero.:(

DJ

Another one in the 90% bucket. ;)

MichaelBaron
23-07-2006, 06:51 PM

DJ

Ok here's mine rather emotional response.

But why did they get the money? Did they just sit inside their dusty homes and waited for the money to come? I bet they did an outstanding job promoting chess to both government organisations and private enterprises and thats what is really making the different between Australia and some other countries.

In terms of economic development, Turkey is well behind Australia. It is still a developing country with a fairly small economy. The only difference between the Turkish chess Federation and the ACF is that Turkish officials made chess their profession. As a result, they are able to pour all their energy into chess-related projects.

Some years ago, I apporached one of the leading chessclubs in Melbourne (I think its best if i do not name the club) with a business plan. I was suggesting a number of activities that could be used to raise some funds for the club on a profit share basis between me and the club. My offer was rejected and i was told that:

a) since the club committee members are all volonteers, they will not feel good if somebody (e.g. me) is going to make money out of the club irrespectively of how beneficial these activities are for the club itself.
b) It was my "responsibility" to go ahead with the plan, raise money for the club...and do all the work for free..

Needless to say, no work got done, and the club remained empty-handed....

The problem with the Australian chess is very trivial...while some volonteers (and Dennis is undoublty one of them so whe should really appreciate his efforts) are contributing to the chess community out of their love for the game, there are also many chess officials who are getting involved in chess administration so they can feel they are important.

Such people are usually
a) unemployed or dissatisfied with their careers
b) Getting little or any recognition outside the chess community.

These people feel threatened by any "wind of change" in Australian chess because once chess becomes a succesfful and profitable sport to get involved with, they will have to give way to professional business administrators and managers.

The main problem in Australian chess is not lack of funds..There is plenty of money in Australian economy to provide for chess players. The real issue is lack of professionalism in chess administration. In the current " political climate" we will never be able to catch up with Turkey,Malaysia and other countries that are not very rich in financial resources, but have plenty of human resources to rely on.:hmm:

Mischa
23-07-2006, 08:32 PM
and never will if the current situation of ..those with money can extend their juniors and those with not can just be left behind...mentality continues..
Tell me (and yes it is of relevance to me ) what incentive is there for any one to volunteer or push their junior or to gernerally help out if there is no visible rewards for any one but the eilite with money or contacts?
The way it is set up at the moment Australian chess is set up for the glorification of the top few.
We will NEVER expand while this mentallity exists

Basil
23-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Michael and Brian. I have been waiting for you both to develop these ideas in CL. You would both do much better to set out your tents there, rather than pick at the problem here.

I'm your side. Let's go. Stop bleating.

MichaelBaron
24-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Howard, I am sure there are many ideas we can think of. The question remains "Do Australian chess administrators need our ideas"?

Mischa
24-07-2006, 12:07 AM
hey I think the question may be more like..."Do Australian chess administrators WANT our ideas?"

Basil
24-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Yes, to both. But they must be made in an appropriate manner with a semblance of thought to back them up.

I am genuinely interested in being part of the process to develop a better model for the national structure of chess administration and membership.

The grumblers just can't seem to sit down and make their case in the appropriate forum.

firegoat7
24-07-2006, 01:27 AM

If we Consider MCC already exists in Australia then we can safely assume that this point is irrelevent.

Why don't you set an example and start fining your own posts which have been particularly stupid on numerous occasions.:hand:

Spoken like the true non believer and loser that you really are. Get out of chess administration your a total disgrace to be posting this sort of negative nonsense. Resign you stupid fool.

cheers Fg7

firegoat7
24-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Starting to lose some credibility ol' fella. That's the same dribble you sent last week to the entire ACF mailing list.

Moan moan moan ... moaning Brian.

Oh shut up you insignificant little man. Brian Jones has done more for chess then you can ever dream about. Just shut up, you are a complete fool.

cheers Fg7

firegoat7
24-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Which in-fighting is that Brian? Just one example will do. But if you provide a synopsis of ALL the infighting, that would be great.

Thanks,
Howard

I think you spend too much time reading the tabloids and trash journalists.

Please collect all your chesskit posts , print them out, and then wipe your own bottom with them, before flushing them all and yourself down the toilet.:hand:
Honestly, If your the best organiser Queensland chess can produce, then it is pretty much ruined.

cheers fg7

Basil
24-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Can anyone else smell something? BTW Can you back up your aspersions against Jenni?