Bill Gletsos - Goose Level Officer
Kevin Bonham - Goosemaster
ggrayggray - President

Positions Available.

*ROFL*

http://www.chesschat.org/image.php?u=650&dateline=1078831992

Kevin Bonham
09-03-2004, 10:22 PM
You're the goose here for plagiarising my goose instead of finding your own. :owned:

Actually there are some special ironies in my choice of that particular goose you may be unaware of. I know what I'm doing; novices, imitate me at your peril. :eek:

(If anyone here susses out what I'm babbling about I'll be very impressed.)

skip to my lou
09-03-2004, 10:26 PM
*susses about what Kevin is blabbing about*

chesslover
09-03-2004, 11:15 PM
*susses about what Kevin is blabbing about*

what is kevin blabbing about?

please do share

skip to my lou
09-03-2004, 11:17 PM
about you

Kevin Bonham
09-03-2004, 11:23 PM
about you

Sounds like you haven't sussed it out yet.

Here's a hint for you, though I doubt it will be enough.

When is a goose not a goose?

Rincewind
09-03-2004, 11:23 PM
what is kevin blabbing about?

please do share

It's a Cape Barren Goose, endemic to the southern waters of Australia especially Bass Strait. The taxonomy is confused. Some taxonomists suggest a relationship with the South American Kelp Goose, others place it tentitively with the Shelducks. Affinities with true geese and shelducks are accepted and therefore it is placed in it's own tribe of Cereopsini.

Am I close?

Kevin Bonham
09-03-2004, 11:43 PM
It's a Cape Barren Goose, endemic to the southern waters of Australia especially Bass Strait. The taxonomy is confused. Some taxonomists suggest a relationship with the South American Kelp Goose, others place it tentitively with the Shelducks. Affinities with true geese and shelducks are accepted and therefore it is placed in it's own tribe of Cereopsini.

Am I close?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Got it in one. Well done.

A goose may not be a goose when it is a Cape Barren Goose. Some sources maintain that the Cape Barren Goose is really just a whopping big duck, others think it's a primitive goose and others think it's part of a group related to ancestors of both.

These birds have gone from being listed as threatened to being culled as pests within the last few decades. I've had a number of adventures with these remarkably bad-tempered creatures, including watching one attack my brother, and being in a plane that had to circle runways buzzing all the geese away before it was able to land.

Very handsome critters indeed. Good eating too apparently, though I haven't got around to trying one yet.

Rincewind
09-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Fortunately I have a passing interesting in bird-watching and so have a copy of Simpson & Day, Field Guide to the Birds of Australian on hand. Also the Cape Barren Goose has a very distinctive head making its identification a non-issue. (It's the same with some of the geese which inhabit the bb) :D

Alan Shore
10-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Hehe, goose. Now we can have a best avatar competition, and vote, and then CL will can demand a recount and.. nn..no :)

I did like Spongebob better than Hamtaro though Barry, hehe.

skip to my lou
10-03-2004, 07:22 AM
spongebob rules

Garvinator
10-03-2004, 01:49 PM
why arent i president of the goose busters. i was the one who busted cl's corruption claims :lol: :clap: :whistle:

PHAT
10-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Takes a twitch to take a gander at such flights of fancy.

Rincewind
10-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Takes a twitch to take a gander at such flights of fancy.

Passing interest, not a twitcher. ;)

Kevin Bonham
10-03-2004, 04:06 PM
I don't pay avifauna that much attention; birds are one of the most studied groups in all of natural history and if even a small percentage of dedicated birdoes turned their attention to other groups we would know a lot more about those groups at the cost of not knowing that Mr and Mrs X of wherever saw 150 different bird species during a 24-hour twitchathon. For the real "twitchers" it seems more like a sport than a science.

All the same I have seen the odd interesting thing. I've seen owlet nightjars twice (weird little things), and a few years ago I found a Fiordland penguin washed up. But my favourite to come across when out in the bush (and I've seen a few dozen of these) would have to be this one:

http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/publications/technical/fire/images/tablesimage9.jpg

if only for its rather curious take on the concept of flying.

Rincewind
10-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Ground parrots. They will fly if flushed but only to the nearest piece of dense undergrowth and then scarper on foot. :D The red frons and greenish plumage help to distinguish it from the night parrot which are more yellowish and have dull frons.

Apparently there are isolated populations off them along the SE seaboard as far north as the Brisbane region. They also inhabit the SW corner of WA. I've never seen them around here myself, but I imagine it wouldn't be impossible to fnid them somewhere reasonably nearby. Where I live is close to temerate rainforest and I only really interested in birds I see in my backyard (and I also have a vice for birds of prey, but doesn't everyone?)

Regular visitors include: rosellas (eastern and crimson) king parrots, rainbow lorekeets, satin bower (male and female), grey butcher (nesting in my front tree at one stage), white-faced heron, tawny frogmouths as well as the usual suspects or urban avians: magpies, noisy minors, starlings, common mynahs, sulphur crests, currawongs, etc.

I've noticed what appears to be an alarming increase in the regularity of the common mynah sightings. Not sure this is caused by localised population explosion of the mynahs or changing habitat caused by further development of the farmland/bush around my place, causing my block to become more urbanised. Either way, I don't like it. (EDIT: Now I remember another factor, a neighbour has started keeping chickens in the last two years so they are probably taking advantage of the waste feed).

Is it legal to shoot common mynahs on sight in NSW?

PHAT
10-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Barry, you will find lots of Ground Parrots up at Fox Ground near Fitzroy Falls. The Uni of Wollongong (Biol) has a field Campus up there and do an annual GP count (and piss-up).

Rincewind
10-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Barry, you will find lots of Ground Parrots up at Fox Ground near Fitzroy Falls. The Uni of Wollongong (Biol) has a field Campus up there and do an annual GP count (and piss-up).

Do you mean Barren Ground? Fox Ground is down near Gerringong isn't it. Barren Ground is not far from Fitzroy Falls, just near Knights Hill at the top of Jamberoo Pass and scene of the disposal of the body in one of the more well publicised (ie gruesome) local murders in my memory.

PHAT
10-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Do you mean Barren Gound? Fox Ground is down near Gerringong isn't it.

yeah yeah, that's the one LOL Barren Grounds

Rincewind
10-03-2004, 09:44 PM
yeah yeah, that's the one LOL Barren Grounds

People have mentioned that Barren Ground is a good place to go watching but given it is only a passing interest I haven't looked into it greatly. :)

Kevin Bonham
11-03-2004, 02:45 AM
Ground parrots. They will fly if flushed but only to the nearest piece of dense undergrowth and then scarper on foot. :D

Actually your book's a bit harsh on them. I flushed one four times crossing a buttongrass plain - it kept landing right in front of my path. After a pathetic scramble/hop of less than 10 m the first time, its successive "flights" were stronger and the fourth time I flushed it it was obviously getting a bit sick of all this and flew strongly into the air several hundred metres away. Apparently this is not unusual if the poor parrot is repeatedly harassed.

Gould (I think) reckoned they were great to eat, which figures, but I don't think Parks and Wildlife would appreciate me testing this view.

The red frons and greenish plumage help to distinguish it from the night parrot which are more yellowish and have dull frons.

And which almost no-one ever sees while their blood alcohol level is below .15 anyway. At least they're still out there somewhere, though.

Is it legal to shoot common mynahs on sight in NSW?

Every time any get in down to Tassie they are given short shrift indeed. An execution squad with high-powered rifles put paid to a nest found in Devonport recently.

I've been to Fitzroy Falls a few years back. Saw some places where I'd expect Ground Parrots but didn't attempt to find them.

Rincewind
11-03-2004, 02:26 PM
And which almost no-one ever sees while their blood alcohol level is below .15 anyway. At least they're still out there somewhere, though.

From memory the NPs have a mainly in the central mainland range so the locailty would be a big cue on species id, but from a picture posted on the BB that info was not available and the picture seemed to have been taken at night. ;) I'll have to make the trip up to Barren Ground some time and see if I can't flush out a few ground parrots to check out the flying thing first hand. On Gould's advice perhaps I should pack some Worchester sauce. :D

Kevin Bonham
18-09-2011, 03:47 PM
*bump*

My former avatar the Cape Barren Goose just got some screentime for itself by disrupting a motor race (the 500k enduro from Phillip Island). The safety car was sent out while the two specimens were herded away with some difficulty, potentially with a major impact on the outcome.

Kevin Bonham
18-09-2011, 06:10 PM
The Tander car which received a "goose boost" from fourth into the effective lead later faded and finished fourth and in the end the net effect of the goose disruption on the outcome was minimal.

Adamski
18-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I saw this incident on the tv news. The geese were very lucky that they weren't cooked by the speeding cars. That would have been a horrible case of "cooking one's goose". :)
Fortunately, the safety car came out and a little later the race was able to resume.

Kevin Bonham
18-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Earlier in the weekend one of the Fords had an altercation with an animal described by some sources as a rabbit and by other sources as a hare. Significant damage was caused to the Ford while the rabbit/hare was a write-off.

Ian Murray
18-09-2011, 11:37 PM
The Tander car which received a "goose boost" ...
Goose bump?

Denis_Jessop
19-09-2011, 12:12 PM
What goose let the goose loose? :doh:

DJ