PDA

View Full Version : A position with 2 bishops v 2 knights

road runner
11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
We have an open position with two bishops versus two knights. I will list black's advantages:

Space advantage on the queenside
Relatively open position which should favour the two bishops
The lack of a useful outpost for the knights
The weakness of the doubled g-pawns

My assesment of the position is that it is probably winning for black. Would anyone like to offer their assesment?

6k1/1b2bpp1/p3p2p/1p6/3N4/4P1P1/PP3PP1/2N3K1 b - - 0 30

After what I consider to be poor resistance, the game continued to this position, which I feel is more favourable for black. Black has added better king position to the list of advantages. Do you consider that is is winning now?

6k1/6p1/pb3p1p/1p2p3/1Pb5/P1N1P1P1/5PP1/4N1K1 w - - 0 30

And later, the following position was reached, which I think you will agree is winning:

8/8/3k2pp/pp2p3/2b1K3/P3P1P1/2N3P1/8 w - - 0 30

Igor_Goldenberg
12-07-2006, 02:15 PM
'd be very happy to play for a black in a tournament game. Yet white have some defensive reserve. They need to try to create some strong squares for the knight, like c5 or (after black played e5) d5. However, it's easier said then done, especially if black is aware of the possible counterplay.

EZBeet
13-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Seems to me the first position shows black standing very well, with all the winning advantages you mentioned.

The second position white has made up some ground I feel because black's kingside pawns make his dark squared bishop somewhat bad. Personally I could not give up hopes of drawing as white from there.
After Nf3 Kf7 / Nd2 Be6 / a4 - Black still has a lot of work to do.

Sure, the third diagram shows a resignable position for white.

Having the two bishops is good when there are few pawns but I always find it hard , when there are lot's of pawns, to keep them both happy :hmm:

Igor_Goldenberg
18-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Seems to me the first position shows black standing very well, with all the winning advantages you mentioned.

The second position white has made up some ground I feel because black's kingside pawns make his dark squared bishop somewhat bad. Personally I could not give up hopes of drawing as white from there.
After Nf3 Kf7 / Nd2 Be6 / a4 - Black still has a lot of work to do.

Sure, the third diagram shows a resignable position for white.

Having the two bishops is good when there are few pawns but I always find it hard , when there are lot's of pawns, to keep them both happy :hmm:

Be6 seems weak. Black should play Bd3 and keep looking for breakthrough. a4 can be met with a5

EZBeet
19-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Be6 seems weak. Black should play Bd3 and keep looking for breakthrough. a4 can be met with a5

Be6 doesn't seem best to me either but it's fritz's choice. A4 can be met with a5 sure, white wants to eliminate the Q-side pawns and fight black on the K-side where the two bishops will not be so much of a problem. At least this is how I see it. Anyway, white is certainly better off in position 2 then in position 1 (or 3).