PDA

View Full Version : Antichrists greatest feats sf. Chess sayings and advice

four four two
27-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Reminishing, my two defeats of champs were with knight mates at beginning of middle game. They are the ballerinas. Another saying:

Knights are the ballerinas of chess.

Who were these so called "champs" and do you still have the scoresheets?:hmm: :lol: :whistle:

antichrist
03-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Who were these so called "champs" and do you still have the scoresheets?:hmm: :lol: :whistle:

They were social games, one witnessed by the entire Townsville Chess club in 1971/2/3 whilst waiting for the tournament to begin. It was my first night and I did not know who I was playing. It took him about 15/20 minutes to resign even though it was mate. I got very angry at waste of time and blasted him to spectators, only to be told that he was state champ as of two weeks earlier.

Another one also has witnesses, he had just won the NSW title and we bet $10, and I had already had one beer. I managed to get a draw and he refused to play again - so got laughed at by spectators.

There is another I now remember that I have a photograph of the board at mate.

antichrist
03-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Whenever I read a AC post it reminds me of this one...

Chess is a validation of stupidity - Totalle Le Vezfleaux

And this is the guy who is supposed to have me on ignore but bars me for my posts, thereby proving the lie!!

four four two
03-07-2006, 09:48 PM
They were social games, one witnessed by the entire Townsville Chess club in 1971/2/3 whilst waiting for the tournament to begin. It was my first night and I did not know who I was playing. It took him about 15/20 minutes to resign even though it was mate. I got very angry at waste of time and blasted him to spectators, only to be told that he was state champ as of two weeks earlier.

Another one also has witnesses, he had just won the NSW title and we bet $10, and I had already had one beer. I managed to get a draw and he refused to play again - so got laughed at by spectators.

There is another I now remember that I have a photograph of the board at mate.

And their names were?....:hmm:

antichrist
03-07-2006, 10:01 PM
And their names were?....:hmm:

I did not get the name of the Qld champ but was one of those years, either 1971 or 1972. As Townsville may have been North Qld champ instead?

I could name the NSW champ but don't like to embarrass him, goes back 30+ years also.

Also include a City of Sydney champ amongst them - that makes four. Also won't name due to embarrassment.

Basil
03-07-2006, 10:12 PM
I got very angry at waste of time and blasted him to spectators
Is that somewhere between 'buggery' and 'the middle of last year'? :)

four four two
03-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I did not get the name of the Qld champ but was one of those years, either 1971 or 1972. As Townsville may have been North Qld champ instead?

I could name the NSW champ but don't like to embarrass him, goes back 30+ years also.

Also include a City of Sydney champ amongst them - that makes four. Also won't name due to embarrassment.

Cough up the names...dont spare their blushes....:whistle:

antichrist
04-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Cough up the names...dont spare their blushes....:whistle:

Re highest rating, I never had a rated game till 25 years after those top games.

Had an extremely busy life.

I gave the game up completely for about 6-7 years as my only ambition was to beat a certain champion, upon doing so I retired from chess. But won sufficient prizes etc to make it worthwhile the comeback.

MichaelBaron
05-07-2006, 12:47 AM
AC, unless you are able to produce the names of the players and the scoresheets from the games, I will never believe you've ever been able to give a good game to a master-level opponent. Enough of "entertaining stories". Similarly to your postings in "Blood on the Hands" thread, you are making some big statements but are not able to produce any evidence whatsoever. So show us the games...or crosstables from the tournaments you won...or else lets close the matter and move on :).

P.S. beating grandmasters in casual games (e.g. on the internet or social blitz is not a big deal) it is tournament victories that count. When playing socially, strong players often do not concentrate at all. I have beaten Shirov and Polgar on the Internet but I do not see it as something to be proud of ...blitz is blitz...Its tournament victories that matter!

antichrist
05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
AC, unless you are able to produce the names of the players and the scoresheets from the games, I will never believe you've ever been able to give a good game to a master-level opponent. Enough of "entertaining stories". Similarly to your postings in "Blood on the Hands" thread, you are making some big statements but are not able to produce any evidence whatsoever. So show us the games...or crosstables from the tournaments you won...or else lets close the matter and move on :).

P.S. beating grandmasters in casual games (e.g. on the internet or social blitz is not a big deal) it is tournament victories that count. When playing socially, strong players often do not concentrate at all. I have beaten Shirov and Polgar on the Internet but I do not see it as something to be proud of ...blitz is blitz...Its tournament victories that matter!

What you say usually is correct but when the player refused to play again under ridicule well that is the exception. I can send the names off privately but I expect people to take me at my word. Also when a big audience watching like in Townsville (whole tournament held up) well I don't expect the champ to take the game lightly and lose face.

I consider I answered the BOH questions in my big sweeps but it didn't sink in - though intending to re-visit when not busy. Also I don't like repeating though sometimes do.

MichaelBaron
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
AC, if you are a good chess player - play some tournaments so your results and rating show evidence that you can play. Casual games are never taken seriously....particularly when there is a Master vs. a patzer...for a Master, such games are meaningless while the patzer usually tries his best.:hmm:

antichrist
06-07-2006, 06:18 PM
But isn't all of this off-thread. Maybe they will do a split titled A/C the Champ

AC, if you are a good chess player - play some tournaments so your results and rating show evidence that you can play. Casual games are never taken seriously....particularly when there is a Master vs. a patzer...for a Master, such games are meaningless while the patzer usually tries his best.:hmm:

In one of my first tournaments (maybe the first) I won 3 Greatest Upset awards including the top one. I should have picked up a fourth against Lloyd Fell but let him off.

I won the Ukrainian Chess Club Championship defeating Ivanchuk's uncle whom I had not beaten in about 18 years. I also defeated an ex-Keiv Uni champ to win that title. Also an ex- Polish lightning champ in that comp. I won the most improved player for Canterbury Leagues Chess Club, previous winner Kerry STead, next winner George Xie. Taking into consideration I only played heavily for about 2 seasons that was not too bad.

I had Agulto on the ropes in the big FAirfield comp and let him off. WAs two pawns, position and 10 minutes better to endgame. I seen 5 out of 6 respnses, I was concerned not to get behind in time as sometimes do against champs. Later George Xie showed me how I could have easily held out - I exchanged once too often. And I remember JPW was often coming over to check the game out. So I have my pride - as well my school teams defeated those of ex-Aussie Champs. So you can't batter me down.

God you are asking me to boast further. Lloyd Fell used to always bring in problems to tease the champs with. Well I beat Agulto and Xie in solving one of them - earlier George had commented "What do you know about chess, you only teach children!"

Basil
06-07-2006, 06:22 PM
I won the Ukrainian Chess Club Championship defeating Ivanchuk's uncle whom I had not beaten in about 18 years.

You didn't. You came second. Remember how you consoled yourself with that goat. I still have the photograph.

Any more stretches like that will find you discredited.

antichrist
06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
You didn't. You came second. Remember how you consoled yourself with that goat. I still have the photograph.

Any more stretches like that will find you discredited.

If you are referring to him, he got diabetes, gangrene, had his leg amputated and then died poor chap. He was a very deep thinker. In that game he threw the board with pieces over me. My first chess baptism .

MichaelBaron
06-07-2006, 07:20 PM
But isn't all of this off-thread. Maybe they will do a split titled A/C the Champ

In one of my first tournaments (maybe the first) I won 3 Greatest Upset awards including the top one. I should have picked up a fourth against Lloyd Fell but let him off.

I won the Ukrainian Chess Club Championship defeating Ivanchuk's uncle whom I had not beaten in about 18 years. I also defeated an ex-Keiv Uni champ to win that title. Also an ex- Polish lightning champ in that comp. I won the most improved player for Canterbury Leagues Chess Club, previous winner Kerry STead, next winner George Xie. Taking into consideration I only played heavily for about 2 seasons that was not too bad.

I had Agulto on the ropes in the big FAirfield comp and let him off. WAs two pawns, position and 10 minutes better to endgame. I seen 5 out of 6 respnses, I was concerned not to get behind in time as sometimes do against champs. Later George Xie showed me how I could have easily held out - I exchanged once too often. And I remember JPW was often coming over to check the game out. So I have my pride - as well my school teams defeated those of ex-Aussie Champs. So you can't batter me down.

God you are asking me to boast further. Lloyd Fell used to always bring in problems to tease the champs with. Well I beat Agulto and Xie in solving one of them - earlier George had commented "What do you know about chess, you only teach children!"

Very impressive: i could beat agulto only "if" .....so what was your highest rating ever?...You have your pride, thats for sure..but i guess no chess results to back up your pride :)

By the way who is Agulto? I have never heard of such grandmaster or international Master:hmm:

antichrist
06-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Ed Agulto's rating was maybe 2200-2300 a few years ago. I think was NSW Lighting Championship Runner-Up to George Xie.

I have had a few other "top" players on the ropes but suffer big game nerves as not used to - when all the specs come around.

Currently only playing a tournament every one or two years so way out of form, but did draw with a 1938(?) player last time. But you must discourage me from boasting and being off-thread.

Rincewind
07-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Here is a quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

Brave Sir Robin, who nearly fought the dragon of Angnor, who nearly stood up to the vicious chicken of Bristol, and who personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill.

antichrist
07-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Here is a quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

Brave Sir Robin, who nearly fought the dragon of Angnor, who nearly stood up to the vicious chicken of Bristol, and who personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill.

How come you reakon you have me on ignore but keep wise-cracking to my posts - can't stay away?

Like a bad smell, can't see you but are always there.

White Elephant, notice that his off-thead woofing has gone on for than 2 posts but no split has occurred - admin make up their rules as they suits them.

ursogr8
07-07-2006, 08:45 AM
How come you reakon you have me on ignore but keep wise-cracking to my posts - can't stay away?

Like a bad smell, can't see you but are always there.

White Elephant, notice that his off-thead woofing has gone on for than 2 posts but no split has occurred - admin make up their rules as they suits them.

hi a/c

Am I catching you just before your morning swim?

Too cold here in Mexico, but I am sitting on the 'metaphoric sand' just doodling with a piece of drift wood.
I started out by joining a few dots.

You seem to be falling out with the ADMIN._IN_RESIDENCE
you are taking the courageous line on the FIDE rating thread.
you re-populated UCJ when it was tipped belly-up by the hacker

Now you are asking for a transfer to :cool: Bananaland :cool:

I think you are headed over to the dark side. ;)

I will send your CV to St Helena.

starter

ps I particularly like your work to lift the 7 veils that Peter Parr has placed in front of Bill. Can Bill dance his way through the challenge set by Peter?

Igor_Goldenberg
07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Hic Rhodus, hic salta

MichaelBaron
07-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Ed Agulto's rating was maybe 2200-2300 a few years ago. I think was NSW Lighting Championship Runner-Up to George Xie.

I have had a few other "top" players on the ropes but suffer big game nerves as not used to - when all the specs come around.

Currently only playing a tournament every one or two years so way out of form, but did draw with a 1938(?) player last time. But you must discourage me from boasting and being off-thread.

Drawing with 1938..wow.....what a great achievement:clap: I never realised drawing with 1938 is something one can boast about :hmm:

Dozy
07-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Drawing with 1938..wow.....what a great achievement:clap: I never realised drawing with 1938 is something one can boast about :hmm:Ah Michael, I wish I was skilful enough to say that. When you're down among the lower echelons like AC and myself it's very pleasing to get a good result against somebody 1900+.

But my compliments to Igor who has summed up this whole argument in four words: Hic Rhodus, hic salta :clap:

Mind you, Igor, Eliza Doolittle managed to get it down to two words in My Fair Lady: "Show me!"

antichrist
07-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Drawing with 1938..wow.....what a great achievement:clap: I never realised drawing with 1938 is something one can boast about :hmm:

Mike, what is the situation. I had my first comp game in my whole life at age of virtually 50 years - except for one stint of 2 nights 20 years earlier at Tweed Heads I think or Coolangatta.

I only began comp because my adult paying students were asking what was my record and I had not played a comp game that I could remember. I have about 5 trophies in two seasons so I was satisfied.

Remembering I gave the game away for years after defeating a champ a few times - admittingly only social games but still took me yonks to achieve.

Desmond
07-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Mike, what is the situation. I had my first comp game in my whole life at age of virtually 50 years - except for one stint of 2 nights 20 years earlier at Tweed Heads I think or Coolangatta.

I only began comp because my adult paying students were asking what was my record and I had not played a comp game that I could remember. I have about 5 trophies in two seasons so I was satisfied.

Remembering I gave the game away for years after defeating a champ a few times - admittingly only social games but still took me yonks to achieve.
Don't worry a/c, Michael's posts reflect on him not your results.

MichaelBaron
07-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Yes Indeed!

My comments do reflect on me and my chess. I do not like to make up stories about "my chess greatness":owned:

antichrist
08-07-2006, 11:34 PM
What I hate is players of Mike's calibre taking their moves back when I have captured their queen because they don't want to be beaten, even in social games, by lower-rated playesrs. I then lose interest and throw the next few games away, as what is the use in playing them anyway if they must win no matter what, and then they do not want to play anymore. How pathetic of highly ranked players.

Then we have Mike come along and claim that the highly ranked don't care about social games???

MichaelBaron
09-07-2006, 11:58 PM
What I hate is players of Mike's calibre taking their moves back when I have captured their queen because they don't want to be beaten, even in social games, by lower-rated playesrs. I then lose interest and throw the next few games away, as what is the use in playing them anyway if they must win no matter what, and then they do not want to play anymore. How pathetic of highly ranked players.

Then we have Mike come along and claim that the highly ranked don't care about social games???

It is not about rating....but generally its weaker players who attach importance to social games. They are the ones who feel..if they can win a blitz game against a stronger opponent through any means, they have some idea about chess...

Social games (blitz) matter when you play someone of your own calibre. social games against players of different standard bore little if any significance.:hmm:

antichrist
10-07-2006, 12:10 AM
The ones I have encountered if you give a few black eyes they soon bear significance, and I have given quite a few of them black eyes. This thread has been exhausted...

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2006, 02:11 AM
It is not about rating....but generally its weaker players who attach importance to social games. They are the ones who feel..if they can win a blitz game against a stronger opponent through any means, they have some idea about chess...

Very well said.

I find that in casual games at a club I just do not play with the same intensity as when the game is rated or at least for prizemoney. I tend to view casual games as a science lab for my tournament game. I lash out and play impulsive unsound-looking combos to find out whether they work or not, and to hone my swindling skills should they fail. I play silly openings to broaden my experience of unfamiliar early game positions (an area in which my game has needed work and probably still does.) I get into shocking positions, and every now and then actually lose, in casual games against players who I would crush game after game in tournaments.

That said, if some 300-rated junior gets a boost from beating me in a casual game and it inspires them to improve, they're welcome to it.

antichrist
10-07-2006, 08:33 AM
But you must admit it is p...weak when a significantly higher-rated player takes a move back against a lower player who has managed to outwit him. Esp after the lower-rated has lifted his game to rise to the occasion. You can understand it is discouraging and why bother trying anymore.

Mike did not answer that point so maybe he does it as well.

Igor_Goldenberg
10-07-2006, 09:32 AM
But my compliments to Igor who has summed up this whole argument in four words: Hic Rhodus, hic salta :clap:

Mind you, Igor, Eliza Doolittle managed to get it down to two words in My Fair Lady: "Show me!"

Of cource "show me" is better, but using Greek makes me look smarter and more sophisticated.;)

Desmond
10-07-2006, 09:48 AM
You are presumably talking about social blitz. Beating a much higher rated player in a blitz tournament is a significant achievement.

Social games (blitz) matter when you play someone of your own calibre. social games against players of different standard bore little if any significance.:hmm:
That position seems very weird to me. Surely either they bear the same significance as each other? Please explain your rationale.

Rincewind
10-07-2006, 11:52 AM
You are presumably talking about social blitz. Beating a much higher rated player in a blitz tournament is a significant achievement.

Not really. How can a 10 minute game be considered a significant achievement?

Basil
10-07-2006, 12:00 PM

I believe any match played under tournament conditions sets the scene. Beating an opponent who is much stronger is a significant achievement in any endeavour.

While the blitz component may [rightfully] infer a departure from traditional chess strengths, it can't be denied that a significant component of blitz chess relies on patters, intuition and similar.

The significant achievement stands. The only problem is if it confused with other chess achievement.

The same, I would argue is also true in say blindfold chess. I were to beat David Smerdon in either variant, I would rightfully be well pleased and would claim either as a significant achievement.

Rincewind
10-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Well I would think it is a significant event, sure, however "achievement" is not the word I would use. A bit like winning the lottery is not an achievement in the same way becoming a self-made millionaire might be.

Basil
10-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Well I would think it is a significant event, sure, however "achievement" is not the word I would use. A bit like winning the lottery is not an achievement in the same way becoming a self-made millionaire might be.
Lock it in, Eddy. I think we have lift-off.

Desmond
10-07-2006, 12:15 PM
I assume that you meant to say "How can the result of a 10 minute game be considered a significant achievement?" Well, if you are expected to score about 1% against that player, a score of 100% is a reasonably big overperformance. So, statistically, you have a achieved a 1 in 100 result. Worth a pat on the back in any circumstances.

Further to this, it may be the best player that you ever beat. For that player to strug their shoulders and mumble something about "it's only blitz" is disingenuous, and poor sportsmanship.

Rincewind
10-07-2006, 12:22 PM
I assume that you meant to say "How can the result of a 10 minute game be considered a significant achievement?" Well, if you are expected to score about 1% against that player, a score of 100% is a reasonably big overperformance. So, statistically, you have a achieved a 1 in 100 result. Worth a pat on the back in any circumstances.

Further to this, it may be the best player that you ever beat. For that player to strug their shoulders and mumble something about "it's only blitz" is disingenuous, and poor sportsmanship.

Yeah it is ok but blitz is blitz, right? Sometimes you can beat someone several 100 points higher than you. They same is also true at things like simuls, etc. A pat on the back and well done is in order but I think I might just have different requirements as to what constitutes an achievement. I also have a low regard for blitz.

Desmond
10-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Well, I suppose that the higher rated player may prefer to view it as an "event".

Desmond
10-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah it is ok but blitz is blitz, right? Sometimes you can beat someone several 100 points higher than you. They same is also true at things like simuls, etc. A pat on the back and well done is in order but I think I might just have different requirements as to what constitutes an achievement. I also have a low regard for blitz.
Playing a game of blitz utilises the same skill set as a longer game. The only thing that changes it the weight certain skills gain. It is still chess.

It is ridiculous to compare it to a simul. In blitz, the players are on equal terms.

Basil
10-07-2006, 12:47 PM
I think we have lift-off.

Houston to Shuttle. Please return to be base.

How about a "significant event with some degree of notable personal achievement"?

Rincewind
10-07-2006, 01:26 PM
How about "sometimes you get lucky"?

Desmond
10-07-2006, 01:28 PM
How about "sometimes you get lucky"?
"A good player is always lucky." - I forget who said that.

If you are more lucky that your higher rated oppponent, for that game at least, you were also gooder ;)

Rincewind
10-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Playing a game of blitz utilises the same skill set as a longer game. The only thing that changes it the weight certain skills gain. It is still chess.

Actually the rules change too. It is a variant of chess. Sure not as varied as say suicide chess but still technically a variant.

Also playing under sever time pressure introduces a greater element of luck. There are many mistakes in blitz games. Sure the better (blitz) player make less mistakes and generally wins but it is not an exact science due to magnitude and frequency of mistakes.

It is ridiculous to compare it to a simul. In blitz, the players are on equal terms.

Drawing or beating a titled player in a simul is still regarded by many rank and file chess players as an achievement. I would actually consider it a greater achievement too. Blitz you could win on time or whatever Simuls are quick games for the simul giver but without the pressure of the clock the master is able to expend a little more time thinking about one or two of the games if necessary.

Ian Rout
10-07-2006, 01:34 PM

Of course if you are expected to win 1% of the time and you win one game out of a hundred that 's actually 1% - it's only 100% if you forget the 99 losses.

But yes, it's something you are entitled to feel happy about and consider as a bit of a personal highlight. It's when you are still dribbling on about it to all and sundry years later that it might be time to look at scoring another achievement.

Basil
10-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Houston to Shuttle.

Wot they sed. Permission to lift-off a second time, granted.

Desmond
10-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Of course if you are expected to win 1% of the time and you win one game out of a hundred that 's actually 1% - it's only 100% if you forget the 99 losses.Did someone make mention that 100 games were played? 1/1 is 100%:hand:

But yes, it's something you are entitled to feel happy about and consider as a bit of a personal highlight. It's when you are still dribbling on about it to all and sundry years later that it might be time to look at scoring another achievement.
So what? If that's the best result he ever had, let him brag about it.

Basil
10-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Houston to Shuttle

Belay that. Stand by.

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2006, 02:55 PM
But you must admit it is p...weak when a significantly higher-rated player takes a move back against a lower player who has managed to outwit him. Esp after the lower-rated has lifted his game to rise to the occasion. You can understand it is discouraging and why bother trying anymore.

No-one of any rating should take moves back in casual games without invitation from the opponent. I will typically refuse to play casual games against opponents with form in this regard.

Ian Rout
10-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Did someone make mention that 100 games were played? 1/1 is 100%:hand:

If anyone seriously believes it's 1/1 then I won't disillusion them, but next time I'm in Queensland I'll sell them a bridge.

While I have the floor, the other logical flaw is in the derivation of the 1% as the expected score. It's based on the expected score, as per the Elo/Glicko system, in tournament games at long time limits. (Well actually it's pulled out of the air, but it could be justified by reference to the Elo scale.) It's marginally more valid than crowing about beating Korchnoi at tennis.

Desmond
10-07-2006, 04:12 PM
If anyone seriously believes it's 1/1 then I won't disillusion them, but next time I'm in Queensland I'll sell them a bridge.

While I have the floor, the other logical flaw is in the derivation of the 1% as the expected score. It's based on the expected score, as per the Elo/Glicko system, in tournament games at long time limits. (Well actually it's pulled out of the air, but it could be justified by reference to the Elo scale.) It's marginally more valid than crowing about beating Korchnoi at tennis.
If you're in the business of selling bridges, you should sell yourself one to cover the holes in your argument. You could even write it off as a tax deduction.

BTW, have you heard of rapid ratings?

Basil
10-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Houston to Shuttle Crew

Unbuckle seatbelts and come in for a cuppa.

Ian Rout
10-07-2006, 05:34 PM
If you're in the business of selling bridges, you should sell yourself one to cover the holes in your argument. You could even write it off as a tax deduction.

BTW, have you heard of rapid ratings?
Look, if you say that you feel admiration for an occasional win against a good player in a casual speed game then I'm sure that you do, and that's your right. I feel it's not especially meritorious or interesting and most players have stories of playing well above their class occasionally. It doesn't change what their class is.

In art or literature you can make your name with one great work even if everything else you do is dross. In sport, unless it's something spectacular, you need to keep producing to impress people. Especially in rapid chess.

I know the point of bulletin boards is to have endless pointless back and forth discussions, but I'll leave it there.

clog
19-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Of cource "show me" is better, but using Greek makes me look smarter and more sophisticated.;)
Only 'Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta' is Latin, not Greek.

Nutter
19-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Sine qua non opus quo vici.

Desmond
19-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Latin ... Greek ... it's all Greek to me! ;)

Igor_Goldenberg
19-07-2006, 11:02 PM

The story is definetely about Greek athlete boasting how well he jumped on Rhodus to Spartians. My Latin is as good as my Greek (and hundreds of other languages), but I suspect it's either Greek or a translation to Latin.

Dozy
19-07-2006, 11:30 PM
I'd hate to lower the erudite tone of this thread but the only Latin I know is Caesar's veni vidi vici and you scarcely need to be a scholar (of either Latin or Greek) to know that means "I came, I saw, I conquered."

Less well known is that Mark Antony, after wooing and winning the lovely Cleopatra, said, "Vidi, vici, veni!"

clog
20-07-2006, 06:48 PM
The story is definetely about Greek athlete boasting how well he jumped on Rhodus to Spartians. My Latin is as good as my Greek (and hundreds of other languages), but I suspect it's either Greek or a translation to Latin.
It's from Aesop's fables. Whatever it is in Greek, 'Hic Rhodus, hic salta' is a translation from it in Latin.
I only know couple of phrases in Latin but never miss a chance to show off.

clog
20-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Sine qua non opus quo vici.
I know that opus has to do with God and vici with victory.

four four two
20-07-2006, 08:19 PM
I know that opus has to do with God and vici with victory.

I think you might find that opus is latin for "work"...as in "work of art"...its most commonly used in classical music catalogues.;)

Hobbes
06-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Well you could be like Scotty Bowers (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/mar/04/full-service-my-adventures-bowers-review) and only name names after they have passed away, and can no longer be embarrassed.

antichrist
17-12-2013, 06:34 PM
About 18 months ago a state (or territory) champ came to Byron and he kicked arse of everyone including myself. Well the next week I made sure I was fresh and determined to take him on. Well I kicked his arse in long game and and blitz. And he was not impressed at all, was fuming actually and demanded more games. Well they kick us out of the club at 10pm so that record stands. And I have plenty of witnesses still breathing.