PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle Computer Chess Tournament

Garvinator
02-07-2006, 07:41 PM
With the current debate going on regarding use of computers etc in cc games, I am interested in running a freestyle tournament on here for those that are interested.

Also, as we have the pgn viewer back :clap:

Basically with a freestyle tournament (almost exactly like the playchess ones) anything goes. Computer engine use is allowed, databases are allowed. Tablebases are fair game too.
As I said anything.

If you want to play as a team together, just send the team members to me by pm and tell me your team handle.

Will start after we get enough numbers (if there are enough numbers).

Feel free to start debating.

road runner
02-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Count me in - I'll have to get a chess engine first though ;)

Garvinator
02-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Count me in - I'll have to get a chess engine first though ;)
You could play without one, might be a bit painful though :eek:

Garvinator
03-07-2006, 02:22 PM
I am enjoying the monumental expressions of interest so far :P

road runner
03-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I am enjoying the monumental expressions of interest so far :P
Maybe I won't need the engine to finish first after all ;)

Garvinator
05-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Is anyone else interested?

Kevin Bonham
05-07-2006, 11:59 PM
May be interested in the near future but not just yet - need to get some more work before I can commit myself to serious timewasting. :D Will let you know if I'm available when that happens.

MichaelBaron
06-07-2006, 02:03 AM
I welcome an Idea of such a tournament.

Any Melb players would like to team-up with me?

Garvinator
06-07-2006, 03:42 PM
If we can get another couple of entrants, then you will need to get the engine :P

Glenno
21-10-2006, 09:40 PM
If we can get another couple of entrants, then you will need to get the engine.

Count me in.

Garvinator
23-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I would like to play in this and get it started, so how many are interested? So far we have I think-

1) me
2) Glenno
3) Kevin Bonham (subject to free time)
4) Michael Baron ?
5) Boris (if he can get an engine)

road runner
23-10-2006, 05:30 PM
5) Boris (if he can get an engine)
I have fritz 5, so book me in for last place :D

Garvinator
23-10-2006, 06:02 PM
it is a freestyle tournament, so anything goes. You can use your own judgement to 'help' the engine along if you wish.

pax
29-10-2006, 11:14 PM

Mate, simply get yourself a copy of Arena (for free) http://www.playwitharena.com/, and any of a dozen excellent, free UCI engines (e.g Rybka beta, Fruit, Toga, Spike). Any of these will be at least 500 points stronger than Fritz 5..

road runner
30-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Mate, simply get yourself a copy of Arena (for free) http://www.playwitharena.com/, and any of a dozen excellent, free UCI engines (e.g Rybka beta, Fruit, Toga, Spike). Any of these will be at least 500 points stronger than Fritz 5..Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.

Garvinator
03-11-2006, 12:23 PM
I will be starting this tournament this Monday coming, anyone wanting to play who isnt already registered, please add their names.

It is freestyle computer chess, so anything goes. Want to work as a team instead of playing as an individual, that is fine. Just tell me by pm your team name and who is involved so I know.

Good luck to all entrants. This tournament I will be playing in.

qpawn
03-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Interesting. But my hands are tied in the Victorian CC championship...

I am playing against some of the state's most ferocious postchess monsters.

:D

Garvinator
07-11-2006, 12:19 AM
So we have five entrants.

Only thing to discuss is move rate. 7 days has been the normal. Anyone want to propose a different move rate or anything else?

If not, we can start :)

Kevin Bonham
07-11-2006, 06:14 AM
Yes I'm willing to play though I may or may not make moves especially quickly during the first few weeks.

huloz1249
19-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Muy buenas tenga usted señor ggrayggray.
En forma comedida solicito a ud el favor de informarme donde consigo el manual del programa en title.
Si es tan amable ma lo hace saber al correo siguiente: vhv491124@gmail.com
Le estare muy agradecido.
Otro favor le pido que al contestar lo haga en Spanish pues de ingles muy poco casi que nulo
Exitos en su gestion

With the current debate going on regarding use of computers etc in cc games, I am interested in running a freestyle tournament on here for those that are interested.

Also, as we have the pgn viewer back :clap:

Basically with a freestyle tournament (almost exactly like the playchess ones) anything goes. Computer engine use is allowed, databases are allowed. Tablebases are fair game too.
As I said anything.

If you want to play as a team together, just send the team members to me by pm and tell me your team handle.

Will start after we get enough numbers (if there are enough numbers).

Feel free to start debating.

Basil
19-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Garvinator

Renée had a quick look at this. Spoken Spanish is her forté but she did used to read Spanish newspapers and the like.

She advises that this post is either poppycock or someone taking the whatsits or a serious yo bro down wid it convo - a clown in all scenarios.

The general drift is about chess and the tourney but that's about it. Let's face it, this forum is not exactly English 101, so FWIW, if this guy's cluey enough to read here, he's cluey enough to write in broken English.

My verdict: Flush and don't waste your time.

Aaron Guthrie
19-04-2007, 09:18 AM
I can translate it and I don't even have any experience with Spanish. Translation 1

Muy buenas tenga usted señor ggrayggray.Hey yo Mr Garvinator

En forma comedida solicito a ud el favor de informarme donde consigo el manual del programa en title.I wanna solicitate a favour of information about the manual for the program in the title.

Le estare muy agradecido.If you could email me here I would be thankful.

Otro favor le pido que al contestar lo haga en Spanish pues de ingles muy poco casi que nuloI'm a Spanish speaker but I can read a bit of English, although not well.

Exitos en su gestionBig ups yo.

Aaron Guthrie
19-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Translation 2

Muy buenas tenga usted señor ggrayggray.
En forma comedida solicito a ud el favor de informarme donde consigo el manual del programa en title.
Le estare muy agradecido.
Otro favor le pido que al contestar lo haga en Spanish pues de ingles muy poco casi que nulo
Exitos en su gestionHi, I am a Spanish spammbot.

Rincewind
19-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I doubt it is spam. It is directed at a particular person and about a very specific chess related program. Chess Tournament Administration. If you know where a manual for this is, then let him know via an anonymous email or else ignore it.